Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Twitch streamers are young people's idols and being one is a young person's archetypical goal these days. As we know SA is exclusively populated by crotchety over-30's therefore the problems of anyone younger don't matter. Now let's get back to the pressing issue of my generation: how come the cartoons on TV aren't the good ones I watched when I was a kid huh

This is true.

My elementary students "what I want to be" journal day is full of this kind of thing.

Freaking 7 year olds wanting to be Youtubers. I wanted to be a dog catcher, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I worked at twitch 5-6 years ago and the CEO explicitly said he wanted twitch to be the next big vertical of the gig economy so it really is as bad as it seems!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

spacetoaster posted:

This is true.

My elementary students "what I want to be" journal day is full of this kind of thing.

Freaking 7 year olds wanting to be Youtubers. I wanted to be a dog catcher, but whatever.

I wanted to be one of those bicycle ice cream salesmen because I thought I could just eat all the ice cream myself. My one weird trick to all the malformed ninja turtles you can eat

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Honestly, 5% of people making 1000 or more a year is a lot bigger than I would have expected.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think I wanted to be a space man of some kind. Not an astronaut (that seems scary), a space man.

I was not a clever child.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Honestly, 5% of people making 1000 or more a year is a lot bigger than I would have expected.

5% of the set of people who are making any money at all, so more like 0.01% of the total I'd guess.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

if you made a thousand bucks more in 2021 than you did in 2020, then your wages will have barely kept up with inflation if you made 17 grand

if you made more than 17 grand, your real wages went down despite the extra thousand

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

spacetoaster posted:

This is true.

when i asked my 6 year old son what kind of job he wanted he said "i dont think i want a job" and then when i asked him what he's gonna do for money he said "well...im just gonna go to the bank, and ask them to give me money" and you know what...i think hes on to something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Nastier Nate posted:

when i asked my 6 year old son what kind of job he wanted he said "i dont think i want a job" and then when i asked him what he's gonna do for money he said "well...im just gonna go to the bank, and ask them to give me money" and you know what...i think hes on to something

Should've told him that Al Capone quote about a kind word

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

I think I wanted to be a space man of some kind. Not an astronaut (that seems scary), a space man.

I was not a clever child.

The good news is, you are a space man of some kind.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

spacetoaster posted:

This is true.

What's really unnerving is when kids adopt that 'YouTuber' cadence to their voice when engaging in imagination play.

When I was a kid I used to imagine I was Mega Man hopping and shooting my way through levels. My kids, on the other hand, would prefer to pretend they are running a video game tutorial of Mega Man to an imaginary audience.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Panfilo posted:

What's really unnerving is when kids adopt that 'YouTuber' cadence to their voice when engaging in imagination play.

When I was a kid I used to imagine I was Mega Man hopping and shooting my way through levels. My kids, on the other hand, would prefer to pretend they are running a video game tutorial of Mega Man to an imaginary audience.

Hey guuuuuuys

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Panfilo posted:

Today we're going to be beating Rock Man. Who is your favorite boss to beat? Let us know in the comments section and don't forget to like and subscribe!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

is the joke that Megaman is Rockman or

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Tbh this is how i talk to myself a lot of the time in general, I imagine I’m giving a tutorial or explanation of something while I’m killing time, but I do tons and tons of self-talk and most of my “productive” stuff is writing or presentations so it just fits with what I’m typically creative about

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Tbh this is how i talk to myself a lot of the time in general, I imagine I’m giving a tutorial or explanation of something while I’m killing time, but I do tons and tons of self-talk and most of my “productive” stuff is writing or presentations so it just fits with what I’m typically creative about

Don't forget to like and subscribe! And hit the bell *makes bell hitting motion*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is the perfect youtube cadence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9W3LueLUaA

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
how much of Youtube would be left if all content with fuckface thumbnails were gone

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Palladium posted:

how much of Youtube would be left if all content with fuckface thumbnails were gone

The History Guy, LockPickingLawyer, Forgotten Weapons and Taskmaster (though not any new episodes from the UK because of Avalon).

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Palladium posted:

Isn't that yet another case where everyone does that because "the algorithm" rewards them for it instantly?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Don't forget to like and subscribe! And hit the bell *makes bell hitting motion*

i don't say poo poo like that, i think about it like i'm explaining something to a friend, a class of students, or my mom

like when I told her I was playing a legacy board game with my two friends I meet with regularly as a safe social contact during covid and she remembered enough to refer to it again today as "advanced risk"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

McCracAttack posted:

Isn't that yet another case where everyone does that because "the algorithm" rewards them for it instantly?

I read somewhere that it boosts viewcount because all the tiny kids that are raised by YouTube love to click thumbnails with wacky faces on them

Seems believable to me

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Panfilo posted:

A coworker showed us video of his 5-year-old "streaming" (he would give her an old phone, but the video record button and tell her it was YouTube) and she mirrored that cadence too. It was funny but apparently his wife that was WFH during the pandemic would just let her watch YouTube videos all day instead of schoolwork. Pretty problematic since the YouTube algorithms steers people down bizarre paths through terrible echo chambers for engagement.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the gen-z wave of ultragoons will be a terrifying force

and i am their vanguard

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

the gen-z wave of ultragoons will be a terrifying force

and i am their vanguard

And i shall be their king

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some years from now i will meet my death, face-down in a building reduced to rubble by a zoomer soldier streaming their drone killstreaks, and i will be glad of it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The History Guy, LockPickingLawyer, Forgotten Weapons and Taskmaster (though not any new episodes from the UK because of Avalon).

hello this is the lock picking lawyer and what i have for you today is the eldritch locking mechanism that keeps our reality safe from the unspeakable horrors residing within the in-between space between realities

*opens it with a lego man in 4 seconds* that's all I have for you today, please be sure to like and subscribe

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Palladium posted:

what the hell is it about those god damned thumbnails

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i am harry posted:

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696?s=20

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

i am harry posted:

Children (and people with other types of mental deficiency) click them more

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I actively avoid them but I guess my mental deficiency isn’t very profitable

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

hatty posted:

The worst kind of mental deficiency.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hatty posted:

you probably run adblock tho

kids and unsavvy people in general are the only ones google gives a poo poo about wrt youtube algorithms because they will just sit thru the ads

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's a great filter. YouTube is significantly more enjoyable if you just never under any circumstances click on a video with a thumbnail like that.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Peggotty posted:

It's a great filter. YouTube is significantly more enjoyable if you just never under any circumstances click on a video with a thumbnail like that.

i just don't even want to see thumbnails like that. every time i open the youtube site on my phone (i don't use the app, and my browser is always in incognito mode on my phone) i see either mr loving beast with his :-O face or snipergirl69 with her O-: face and it grinds my gears

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Weatherman posted:

i just don't even want to see thumbnails like that. every time i open the youtube site on my phone (i don't use the app, and my browser is always in incognito mode on my phone) i see either mr loving beast with his :-O face or snipergirl69 with her O-: face and it grinds my gears

the trick is to like and subscribe and enable notifications for every upload to a million billion channels that don't do that, then your front page is brimming with star trek clips and dark souls lore videos

like you find a lady uploading clips of guinea pigs making cute noises? smash that bell icon and move on to the guy with 14 subscribers who does nothing but woodworking tutorials. before long your youtube feed is a steady stream of adequate distractions without the terrible face thumbnails

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

set your browser bookmark to a nonexistent channel, youtube's 404 is a nice minimalist search. then adblock out the recommended video list element

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ruffian Price posted:

set your browser bookmark to a nonexistent channel, youtube's 404 is a nice minimalist search. then adblock out the recommended video list element

thats a way better suggestion than what i posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My recommendations aren't too bad right now, despite youtube deciding I must see every single video on Elden Ring.

Every few weeks I decide to torture myself by looking at 'trending' and god it's loving dire. Like everyone's said, so many demented, inane thumbnails of generic smiling people.

EDIT: setting my bookmark to a dead channel is a great idea. Thanks