Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tupac Sighting posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about forums posting, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Richard Kyanka, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about SomethingAwful's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Lowtax. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Lowtax is an abuser. He abused his wife. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Lowtax. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about posting and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Lowtax as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional posting without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed poster in another website or definitely not because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw posting as a means to an end. He was in it for the forums. He was dedicated to being the best website administrator he could be, and it showed in his front page posts.

I wanted to be a cool poster since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that buying this account and an avatar had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to post in FYAD was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Lowtax in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a mainstream superstar. He couldn't box. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. His neck didn't work. The only thing he had going for him was his posting ethic. He wasn't a third generation professional poster. He wasn't physically gifted. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the most influential website administrators in history. By 40 years-old.

Lowtax was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the forums could die so young. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like DocEvil, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the forums. Lowtax owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us the SomethingAwful forums are a rock of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty.

And that will continue. But Lowtax is dead. And he died as a fail abuser. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with mangosteen juice.

Lowax was an abuser. And I don't know how to accept that.

he was an abuser, a wifebeater... ...one of the good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wow

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Who?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
jeffrey, put up the paywall think of the profits

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I met Lowtax once and realized he wasn't the guy in the pink shirt in this photo

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!
Oh poo poo now that corpse in Morrowind is canon.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Eating $1000 cookies in his honor

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

abusive hillbilly in rural missouri dies of drug complications who would have guessed

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Wow.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I wasn't here for a lot of these classic stories, but this forums still gave a lot of fun and hilarious moments, so thanks for that I guess.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

cum

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to need to see a body before I believe this

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Welp….that sucks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for making this cool website where I've made a ton of friends. Sucks that you were most likely an abusive shithead and definitely were a lying dumbass. In conclusion lowtax is a land of contrasts.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
repossess his bones before they send the rest of him to hell

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
posted in lowtax abuse thread, now posting in lowtax death thread

goondolences and love to his family and friends impacted by his death

anyways i got bad diarrhea right now and that feels like a fitting tribute

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
It had to be an overdose or something because he wasn’t even 50.

RIP though. gently caress.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Blackula69 posted:

more like estate tax

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
HOly poo poo.

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Rip

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
i am truely sorry for your lots

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
ground floo gently caress

THAT AINT GROW BACK
Sep 29, 2003
Did he think of Malign during his final moments on this earth?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
so what killed old rick

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

jeffrey, put up the paywall think of the profits

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

it shaun
Jun 6, 2017
well now

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lowtax died from complications from his rib removal surgery. lowtax insisted on removing 6 ribs (3 on each side) so he could more easily slurp up his little lowtax worm on cam shows.

hosed up, man

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:rip: big man

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I won’t believe it until there’s something on the front page.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

posting in epic thread

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

GC posted:

logging in for the first time in years to say rest in piss

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lowtax made this website and years later it exposed me to a Bust Rodd post gently caress you Lowtax I hope you burn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sixer feet under

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would play some Quake 2 in his memory but both of those things kind of suck

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Guys, I just want you to remember while posting, if you are about to write something mean about him that one day my daughter will be old enough to Google this thread and her older sisters already are.

Please try to be kind. This was their father. No matter what my relationship was to him or with him, this was their Daddy and they are hurting.

I recognize that I have said unkind things out of anger about Rich and our relationship on here in the past, so I get the hypocrisy in me saying this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He had many skills... and styles... and techniques....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my kinda ape posted:

Thanks for making this cool website where I've made a ton of friends. Sucks that you were most likely an abusive shithead and definitely were a lying dumbass. In conclusion lowtax is a land of contrasts.

verbal enema posted:

Thanks for the site tho lowtax