Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

brand engager posted:

I've been thinking it comes out on a thursday because of the helpful google card

:thanks:

Same. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:same:

Got sad today when I found that out

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Any early must-buy Glory upgrades to nab?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

First boss questionAm I missing a mechanic re: his frenzy move? He pops it right after the transition where he loses all his heads and it instantly kills my entire party from full health

What level are you? I reached it at level 12 and I didn't see a way to do it on hard that didn't involve grinding a few levels for demons with better health pools/resistances. So I just put it to normal and killed it easily. There's always buffs/debuffs to push what you can survive I suppose. If you're getting wiped by him doing the magatsuhi buff plus frenzy I think you probably just need to have everyone guard the turn before.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 11, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i have, a very important smt5 question: can u dress up ur protag like in 4/4a??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Any early must-buy Glory upgrades to nab?

Gonna spoil this just in case but no plot spoilers:

The TL;DR verison:

Anything that gives you more skill slots or improves what you get from Essences is good. You want a few demon slots. Anything that is absurdly costly that isn't those things can probably wait until Grace is more available.

The long version:

Must have skills:
Demon/Divine Proficiency should be your top priority every time it shows up.
Divine Amalgamation: Absolutely must grab. Being able to customize your protag's elemental weaknesses is obviously hilariously good.
Divine Garrison up to about III or IV. Enough so that you can recruit demons in a new area without feeling full up all the time.
Knowledge of Tools is a top-priority grab since demons being able to use items makes you massively more flexible.
Magatsuhi Dispersion is a huge lifesaver. It means a single dodge or nullification eliminates the enemy's limit break bonus which is a huge loss to their damage.
Dread is delightful. All enemies beginning with a free 1-tier debuff at the start of every fight is basically just free real estate
Articulate Discourse is great because there's less of a punishment for failing a talk and you can get multiple tries in a row.
Pacification gives you a mulligan on a negotiation mistake. Just a nice time saver.
Art of Intervention is basically the same as Pacification, something that lessens the time lost by a failed negotiation.
Hand of God is 5 Grace and gives you extra money. No reason not to grab it.
Warrior's Conception/Unforgotten Memories: Extremely good. The bonuses add up and by the late game it means you can sometimes get a demon's full list of skills right after fusion.
Art of Essence: Absolutely worth grabbing ASAP. More skills from Essences means more flexibility.
Summoner's Hospitality reduces the cost of demon compen summoning. Obviously good, maxes at 50%

Nice but not required:
Magatsuhi Wellspring is mostly QoL since it lets you 'stay out' longer but since you can instantly teleport to a save point it's more of a nice buff than anything super useful and it costs a ton of Grace early on.
Race Transcendence is again nice but not a top priority, it mostly just means you have a bit of flexibility on when to use your skill.
Inspiring Covenant is a great way to get some quick spell boosts and is absolutely worth grabbing if you have nothing else more priority.
All the Magatsuhi-raising skills are worth getting when you have spare points because the faster you can fill your bar the more you can wreck face.
Merchant's Hospitality: It can be nice especially as late game he gets some incredibly good if expensive stuff. Not a huge priority but worth it eventually.
Skill Manifestation: It's the good ol' "demon can randomly learn a skill" thing. Nice but it's effectively just a gamble.
Demonic Discipline: More EXP for stock is always nice.
Prayer Skills: These are all extremely good to get but not a top priority. They add up really quickly but only if there's nothing better to get.
(x) Mastery: Usefulish but not a top priority. You get a ton of options for replenishing MP as things go on. For a Phys build the Physical and Almighty masteries are pretty nice since they can severely reduce what you spend on your high-damage skills.
Enhanced Summon isn't bad precisely but only really useful if you're swapping demons a lot.

Bottom priority skills:
Empowering Cheer 1 is nice, Empowering Cheer 2 is borderline worthless.
Kindred Favor is borderline useless since healing becomes real cheap real quick.
Deathly Aura is nice but doesn't trigger that often due to the rocket tag nature of the game. I think I had it happen two times to me?
Healer's Hospitality is kind of a waste because the cost of healing scales slowly so it doesn't take long before you have way more macca than it would ever take to heal up.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

fadam posted:

First boss questionAm I missing a mechanic re: his frenzy move? He pops it right after the transition where he loses all his heads and it instantly kills my entire party from full health

No Mods No Masters posted:

What level are you? I reached it at level 12 and I didn't see a way to do it on hard that didn't involve grinding a few levels for demons with better health pools/resistances. So I just put it to normal and killed it easily. There's always buffs/debuffs to push what you can survive I suppose. If you're getting wiped by him doing the magatsuhi buff plus frenzy I think you probably just need to have everyone guard the turn before.
I did it around level 13-14

First boss tips in order of handholdiness

1. every boss has a pattern including when they enter critical mode
2. turn denial is the name of the game
3. always bring spyglasses for boss fights and in general because of mitama encounters
4. guarding will negate your weakness for the turn
5. buy dampeners and use them before an big incoming aoe with guaranteed crit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Booky posted:

i have, a very important smt5 question: can u dress up ur protag like in 4/4a??

Not as far as I can tell, but Im not that far

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyoru posted:

3. always bring spyglasses for boss fights and in general because of mitama encounters

#3 is absolutely super incredibly important, I just want to emphasize that. You're going to end up leaving a ton of valuable poo poo on the table if you don't.

Edit: Also I really really want to emphasize this.

Talk to NPCs if they have a talk sign above them. Even if they don't have a sidequest marker. There are a lot of hidden items and even sidequests that are locked behind doing that, including a fairly length end-game one which unlocks an entire area.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 11, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stfu stop telling me things thaht are in the game before its even out! gently caress you!!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

yeah default white speech bubble npcs especially ones off the beaten path can give you talismans, which are key items for unlocking demon race specific limit breaks

also container yard boss killer crew

gently caress that guy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gyoru posted:

yeah default white speech bubble npcs especially ones off the beaten path can give you talismans, which are key items for unlocking demon race specific limit breaks

also container yard boss killer crew

gently caress that guy

I'm just about to fight that guy. Wish me luck

edit: Not too bad, second try. Kikuri-hime/lilim/jack frost. But I am playing on idiot mode

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 11, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Amazon still saying it will email me when "we have an estimated delivery date"

loving sucks

I like steelbooks and want a physical copy but if I'm not getting it by the weekend I'll cancel and go digital

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

Amazon still saying it will email me when "we have an estimated delivery date"

loving sucks

I like steelbooks and want a physical copy but if I'm not getting it by the weekend I'll cancel and go digital

I'm so tempted to do that too but I really wanna support the series and I feel like the best way I can do that is to hold fast and wait for my Premium Edition.

Of course I really, desperately wanna play the game itself but i also want to talk about it online with people. I would hope there are still plenty of people to talk to about it come next week or whenever I get it. Lots of people like myself experiencing it for the first time and sharing our impressions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm so tempted to do that too but I really wanna support the series and I feel like the best way I can do that is to hold fast and wait for my Premium Edition.

Of course I really, desperately wanna play the game itself but i also want to talk about it online with people. I would hope there are still plenty of people to talk to about it come next week or whenever I get it. Lots of people like myself experiencing it for the first time and sharing our impressions.

It's a full-length JRPG, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gyoru posted:

Tip 5 here is vital if you're playing on Hard, by the way. Those things are absolute godsends to the point of being close to necessary to survive.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Enjoying IV so far. Definitely hard at first but I feel like that's mostly because I can't fusion yet so my demon and skill choices are pretty sad.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The cathedral of shadows song during a full moon is so sick. Overall this game's music has been really excellent so far

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

Enjoying IV so far. Definitely hard at first but I feel like that's mostly because I can't fusion yet so my demon and skill choices are pretty sad.

IV's early game is pretty brutal. It levels out eventually once you unlock more options for fielding stuff, but never really stops being about knifing your enemy's eyes out before they can get yours.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think something even IV's fans will agree with is that it's a very poorly balanced game in terms of difficulty. No doubt the early games in SMT tend to be pretty brutal but they still maintain some challenge throughout. IVA and SJ have some of their hardest bosses at the end. IV though, it's all about the early game and then once you get through that, it's pretty easy.

Note I still died and poo poo, I don't pretend I just coasted through everything. I just attribute that to my own failings more than the game's challenge. I don't remember desperately struggling with a later boss like I did with other games is my point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I think something even IV's fans will agree with is that it's a very poorly balanced game in terms of difficulty. No doubt the early games in SMT tend to be pretty brutal but they still maintain some challenge throughout. IVA and SJ have some of their hardest bosses at the end. IV though, it's all about the early game and then once you get through that, it's pretty easy.

Note I still died and poo poo, I don't pretend I just coasted through everything. I just attribute that to my own failings more than the game's challenge. I don't remember desperately struggling with a later boss like I did with other games is my point.

I can't agree with that at all. By the end of IVA I was sleepwalking through every fight and even the last boss was a total joke and SJ is the hardest only in that most other SMT games have perfected the inverse difficulty curve.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Akira is legitimately difficult and was a wall for my partner when they played it a year or so ago. Not that 4's difficulty isn't kinda weird, but it's not like it's super smooth sailing 100% of the time after medusa though.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

NikkolasKing posted:

IV I struggled with the final boss but I also didn't min-max my level ups (I just evenly distributed my stats).

Edit: I should clarify that by "final boss" I mean Lucifer since it is ambiguous in IV.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 11, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Ty, I think I have to be more strategic with my guards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hardest part of IV to my recollection post-Medusa was probably... Pluto? Is that considered an especially difficult boss?

e: Going back through old posts, apparently Kenji is considered much harder but I didn't have too too much trouble there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can't agree with that at all. By the end of IVA I was sleepwalking through every fight and even the last boss was a total joke and SJ is the hardest only in that most other SMT games have perfected the inverse difficulty curve.

I think you're mostly alone in finding Vishnu Flynn and YHVH easy. I don't think any boss in all of IV is as hard as either of them.

But I guess difficulty is one of those very subjective things. I just can't say I've ever heard either described as easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I think you're mostly alone in finding Vishnu Flynn and YHVH easy. I don't think any boss in all of IV is as hard as either of them.

But I guess difficulty is one of those very subjective things. I just can't say I've ever heard either described as easy.

Really? I've basically never heard anyone calling YHVH hard. Like the #1 criticism I hear is that the second party is almost exclusively weaker than what you can bring to the table and that it's a bit gimmicky until he gets his final form. I mean I like the fight a lot, enough that it was working going through the awful dungeon beforehand, but mostly for the context and how it plays out and because I'm a sucker for "everyone teams up to help you win" endings.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Really? I always see those two described as the toughest non-optional bosses in all of SMT, especially on Hard and Apocalypse, let alone on Conflict difficulty. And let's not even get started on Stephen who is probably up there across optional/postgame bosses that aren't RNG crapshoots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Really? I always see those two described as the toughest non-optional bosses in all of SMT, especially on Hard and Apocalypse, let alone on Conflict difficulty. And let's not even get started on Stephen who is probably up there across optional/postgame bosses that aren't RNG crapshoots.

Oh yeah if we're talking about optional bosses then it's an entirely different story, some of those can be absurdly nasty.

With YHWH in Apocalypse it boils down to the fact that by the time you face him you're going to effectively be as absolutely powerful as you can get and he's a boss who is designed to be beatable by most people. Harder difficulty modes obviously ratchet it up but he's gimmicky enough that you have a lot of room and by the time you face him you're going to be wielding the power of god and anime. He's harder than any last boss in a Persona game but if we're going off default difficulty I'd say that there are bosses in Devil Survivor I had a much harder time with than YHWH.

That said I'm also of the mindset that anything above Hard in a SMT game tends to veer towards being more tedious than challenging so YMMV.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've only played IVA on the two highest difficulties, War and Apocalypse. Maybe that's why. Granted, on my first run on War difficulty, I had to turn it down to Conflict to actually win the final boss. That's why I was determined to play through the second time entirely on the highest difficulty and also beat the final boss on it, showing I had improved since my first run.

YHVH has a lot of luck to his fight. If he keeps spamming Infinite Power (max stats + Smirk) before you can make him weak to something via Godslayer Sword (which is random), you are pretty much doomed. I think his Supernova move will wipe any party unless he's max debuffed or you are max buffed.

I have an Anarchy save from my Apoc run ready to go whenever I feel like it so that will be the real test. No Asahi heals, I chose Toki. So I'll have to construct a team with a healer now instead of focusing all my energy on buffs, debuffs, and attacking. Although I've heard that, contrary to what you'd think, Flynn and Satan is a better second team than the Samurai, even though there are only two of them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is the steelcase edition the only physical release?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Is the steelcase edition the only physical release?

There's a regular plastic edition too. They cost the same as the steelbook. No idea how easy it will be to obtain a steelbook without a preorder at this point.

There's also a Premium Edition that comes with the steelbook, school bag, art book, and soundtrack CD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been dying to know how they'll do EO on Switch. They announced they were working on a new EO as soon as Nexus came out and there hasn't been a peep since. Hopefully they didn't quietly cancel it.

That's a tough one, huh? I guess you could brainstorm dozens of ideas of how to conveniently get a map on and off the screen (on which you can draw/write) but convenience, that's the tricky part. Plus the ergonomics... I can't imagine passing the Switch from two hands to one back and forth like I would with a 3DS. I don't trust the Joy-Con rails that much.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you just automap

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said this many years ago, but the answer is to have every copy of the game come with a pencil and a few sheets of graph paper included

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stux posted:

you just automap

fail.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Arist posted:

The hardest part of IV to my recollection post-Medusa was probably... Pluto? Is that considered an especially difficult boss?

e: Going back through old posts, apparently Kenji is considered much harder but I didn't have too too much trouble there.

I was cruising along pretty well but remember absolutely slamming my face into Beelzebub in one of the final mandatory quests in IV on the Neutral path. Hardest fight in the game, at least for my party.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Lookin to- Hehe! Say, thank- Lookin to- Hehe! Say, thank- Lookin to- Hehe! Say, thank- Need anything else?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Twenny twenny twenny four hours to go!

I wanna play some megaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

If any of you already playing pirated this game, let me just say that I hate and envy you.