Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
"I have existed from the morning of the world, and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, I am all men as I am no man and so....I am a god."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

TenementFunster posted:

lol sup. i saw kimcicle and his family a few weeks ago! dude seems really happy.

It’s like the world’s worst high school reunion in here

D-town reppin’

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!
I remember you.

2006. Portland, Oregon. I flew out to a book signing you were doing at a bookstore (finally done in by covid last year, something I have just discovered while looking it up). The line was actually around the block. Dozens of other internet weirdos like me. There to see you, meet you, hear you say something absurd and funny. It's cold and miserable and rainy and my cousin has a migraine and wants to find something else to do. But I insist. I want to wait and meet you. You'd been there for me since I truly, meaningfully discovered the internet. Shaped my sense of humor into something unique and special. Made a little part of my life - well, if not brighter, at least funnier. So I waited for you.

The line was very long. The bookstore should have been closed by the time I got to you. But you had waited, too. You were clearly exhausted, bags under your eyes, an energy drink long since emptied on the corner of the table. You did your best to hide it. You signed my book with a clever rip on Seanbaby, you noticed my Skynet t-shirt and talked to me about James Cameron more than the people behind me probably would have liked, you told me we could hang out if I ever attended any kind of internet get together. You were nice and funny and far more gracious than I would have been.

2009. Chicago, Illinois. My friend Randall and I drive four hours to hang out with you and other people from the internet. The tide had already started turning on you at this point. The group is a quarter the size it would've been just a few years ago. I'd had reasons to hesitate. In certain circles, your internet persona was allegedly overtaking your actual personality. Your brazen snarkiness no longer just a means of communicating your wit.

But I didn't find that to be the case. We had sloppy Venezuelan steaks and got mildly drunk together. We spent no less than half an hour talking about Zardoz and then, moving on to more personal things, adolescence, the way the internet was changing, the way we were both starting to feel like dinosaurs. Relics. You were a human being, I discovered. Someone who felt things in a way that couldn't be reflected in a simple MSPaint review of M. Night Shyamalan's Signs.

2020. The Internet. The turning tide is now a tsunami. You've said some stupid things, done some stupid things, you've potentially given yourself covid out of either sheer stupidity or dedication to a failing comedy bit... And I feel self-conscious. For liking you, for finding you funny, for maybe even spending time with you. You've shown your rear end for the whole world to see. The book you signed for me almost a decade and a half ago eventually finds its way into storage. I don't really want to think about you at this point, and I ending up finding myself rarely in that position anyway. Not consciously, at least.

But I can't deny it. You are at the nexus of a million tendrils that have influenced so much of my life. Not just my sense of humor, but the people I've met, the things I've wanted to do (and some I have!), and on some fundamental level, the very way I live.

Knowing that you're gone hits hard. It's the ultimate sucker punch. I never consciously thought of this day coming, but I also didn't realize how much I'd still care when it did.

Lowtax, you were so much. An rear end in a top hat. A comedy legend. The pro-internet superstar. A human. And I'll keep remembering you.

Now excuse me, my gooners, but it's time to break that copy of The Alphabet of Manliness out of storage and give it a good read.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Well richard, you beat em all buddy. Fark, ebaums, your wife. everyone in your way. you could have just been somewhat nice and lived in fabulous comfort by just doing a podcast or something but instead you got banned from twitter kicked off your site and then died of eating meat rods in grover's living room apparently. everyone you hated is now more succesful than you and youll live forever as a story middle aged twitter people occasionally tell to confuse zoomers, rest piss.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

i posted my FA once and got like, 20 or so new followers just from posting it once in a fast paced thread. i get SO loving MANY private messages from furries who want to just say "im also a furry. goodbye" basically. look at this poo poo

I am going to assume a 50:50 ratio of "I'm also a furry. goodbye" and "I'm also a nazi. goodbye" PMs

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
good bye weird forums maker who turned out to be a horrible human rather than just eccentric

you were a real piece of poo poo, but you made the forums and they were a lot of fun and a great place to have a community when I was much younger

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mx. posted:

that's cute as hell

thank you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sah deuudes posted:

I haven't posted on here in at least a decade if not longer but this place truly was everything to me when I was in high school and college. RIP Lowtax. This place truly was special in its heydey. Goondolances and I hope the accusations against him weren't true.

they were true op and you can reminisce about SA without assuming its founder must be a good person

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

rip lowtax, wish I had taken you up on the offer of Xanax in eripsa’s basement back in 2004 after your PowerPoint show, but I was too high

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

He was a pretty garbage person but he is responsible for one of the few places on the internet I still regularly visit. Onions have layers, ogres have layers.

The real question on my mind though is, has anyone gotten Uwe Boll's commentary on this news.

Also wondering if those offsites with obsessive jilted former forum members still exist, and if they'll find new purpose now that their arch nemesis is gone.

napster of meat posted:

I went to this. Sort of. After the meet at the hotel for the, I don't know, orientation speech I guess, I realized that it was a horrible mistake and just hung out in my room, gambled with my friend who came along just for that, and ate a bad comped meal at the hotel. Regret.

it was a fun time and I met a lot of cool people there (including the guy in the pink shirt) that I still keep in touch with today

perhaps if you made different choices it would not have resulted in regret for you, friend

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Evan Jellicle
Apr 20, 2008

welp

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

email posted:

Can’t believe lowtax died of cancel culture

This is all Antifa's fault

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

coupons and deals but it's furry art

Dr Eldarion retires and suddenly Lowtax dies :thunk:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

keep it down up there! posted:

The forums got a dark mode, you can enable it in your settings

This is actually amazing

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
ok so also there was a note.

burn it.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Polo-Rican posted:

*deep sigh* time to collect the seven dragon balls yet again

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

I went looking for my old "image macros" folder to one up this but all I found was a robust portfolio of DocuSign templates and now I'm all bummed out

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the website, guy. RIP

Nimbokwezer
Jan 12, 2004

Nimbokwezer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 11, 2021

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Half of Dracula posted:

posting in the lowtax death thread

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

These forums are good. Physical abuse is bad. Namaste.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
he's partying with colin powell and fuller goldsmith in heaven

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

postin in the lowtax thread

condolences to his family, thanks for creating a place where funny poo poo happens periodically and then losing control

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shitpostradomus posted:

omg.

he killed himself. after the divorce hearing.

l.
o.
l.

SHE ASKED FOR THE GTR THE B**CH!!!!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RIP in peace forum owner guy who I never talked to or interacted with it any way over a decade and a half. :pray:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Roth posted:

I am going to assume a 50:50 ratio of "I'm also a furry. goodbye" and "I'm also a nazi. goodbye" PMs

nobody has actually done that. i have had people try to flirt with me tho

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
welp

uh

hm lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

nobody has actually done that. i have had people try to flirt with me tho

my bad

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Fragmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkcZ4LtSE8

I guess I should preface this by saying this isn't a joke especially since I'm posting for like the first time in 10 years or something, but I got the bad news today directly from Rich's family.

Lowtax has passed away.

I didn't ask for details. I don't know details. I don't know what the current opinion of Rich here is. Not here to answer questions, I'm sharing the news. I really hate to share this news. But there you go.

Goonspeed golden manbaby 555s 2 heaven

awkward

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I never did post much. I don't really have anything to say.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Later Taxman

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hillary 2024 posted:

Dude was pretty depressed after being cancelled and his DDD was getting worse. I'd guess an even split between drinking and an OD

He had a child support ruling against him for 92.5k + 2.5k/month 2 days ago

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Wife-abusing grifter who's pig balls website is where the internet's culture came from.

Truly befitting the timeline.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Yikesaroo!

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Maybe we should do something to commemorate his passing. A memorial or something.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

keep it down up there! posted:

The forums got a dark mode, you can enable it in your settings

there's a light mode?!?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

bizarre to learn that like two-thirds of the furries on my twitter timeline are also SA alumni

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

get a room