Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for yelling at my fiance's son?

Pretty impressive Freudian slip where OP textually refers to the fiance as "mom" and then his post anyway.

EDIT: boring snipe. content:

AITA for cutting my neighbours tree branches and accidentally looking in her room?

quote:

ETA: OK I feel like I have answers on the cutting of the tree, some disagree, some don't. I feel like she was most worked up about the privacy thing though, and it's the part that makes me feel like she was calling me creepy so.... thoughts on that? Was it really so bad to get up on a stepladder without telling her?

I recently moved into a new house with my fiancee.

The edge of the house is pretty close up against the (tall) fence, on the other side is a unit with a lemon tree. The tree was growing well over the fence, branches resting on our roof.

I was annoyed tbh that the neighbour didn't bother to trim the tree branches that were obviously affecting us.

A month later, I decide it's time to sort it out. I got up on a stepladder and started sawing off the tree branches. I didn't notice immediately, but directly on the other side of the fence is her bedroom, and the whole wall is a glass door.

It turns out she was on her bed in underwear, no bra, and she suddenly jumped up and ran out of the room. I only noticed bc she jumped up. A little awkward, but an accident, nbd. I went on cutting the tree.

That afternoon, she knocks on the door and tells me she'd appreciate it if I could give her notice if I was going to do something like that, because it's invading her privacy to just get up over the fence where I can see in her room.

I said sorry, but it's not really that big a deal and wouldn't have happened if she'd taken care of the tree, or got dressed. It was after midday, after all. She insisted i should still let her know if I'm going to be looking over the fence and also tell her if I want to cut the tree.

That she was just renting and didn't have the tools to trim it but would talk to the landlord about maintenance. And that I still needed to be mindful of privacy.

Then she said it would be better anyway because I cut too much of the tree and lemon trees should be timmed at certain times so it doesn't ruin the tree or something. I said that's her problem. She said a lemon tree could be nice for both of us if we trim it right, and at least to tell her when I want to cut it so she can harvest the lemons first if I don't want them.

Then she complained that we have been doing renovations as well and it would just be neighbourly to let people know what to expect if we're going to have power tools running all day, or cutting a tree, or whatever.

I don't care about having lemons, I think the tree really shouldn't be my problem, I don't honestly care if it ruined the tree on my side because it's on my side after all. All that stuff is not my problem and I don't see how I have to inform my neighbours of everything i do.

And yeah I get she was awkard about me seeing her half naked but again. it's not like Im gonna do it again deliberately, but if she didn't make me cut the tree, it never would have happened. So if she wants her privacy, she shouldn't let things get to the point that I have to take it into my own hands, or shut her blinds if she's worried about privacy. Or get dressed if her whole bedroom is a window.

So I just said I'll deal with my house and she can deal with hers, and goodbye. AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for leaving my jewellery on my bedside locker without notifying my niece what it was?

quote:

I'm 19f, my sister is nearly 25 years older than me and I have a niece, Katie who i get along great with, she's 16. She has pica and is particularly drawn to metal. I have a over 30 piercings on my ears, face and body. I've often left jewellery on my table or desk or wherever around my room. It's happened on more than one occasion that Katie has ended up with a piece of my body jewellery in her mouth, which I find gross but most of the time it's just been some stainless steel piece that cost me £2 so it didn't bother me.

I got my nipples done for my 18th birthday and this year my boyfriend gifted me a gorgeous BVLA set for them that I put in last night. I left the plain titanium jewellery on my bedside locker, intending to clean them but kind of forgot and left them there until today.

Katie came over and asked if she could grab my charger and I told her it was in my room. She got it and it wasn't until an hour later that I noticed something was in her mouth and asked her where she got it. She looked a little embarrassed but answered with it was on my bedside table and the urge to chew took over.

I casually said, "that was in my nipple, and I haven't cleaned that in a long time." And she just lost her poo poo. Like actually started screaming. She was saying it was my fault leaving it where she could get at it, that I should've cleaned it, that it was gross to leave it out and that I shouldn't have told her because I knew itd upset her.

I casually told her to gently caress off away from me and she did but my sister texted me saying I'm a massive rear end in a top hat, that I should have said casually hey my nipple bar is on the table don't eat it etc. I don't really think I'm the rear end in a top hat here but my parents are on my nieces and sisters side. AITA?

hosed around, found out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Ok so for the whiterer people here, any g word slur is definitely guinea or maybe greaseball lol
Not guido or goomba.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I’m a WASP who went to hs in a pretty Italian part of New Jersey, and also a native Chicagoan, so while I have the tact to not use anti-white slurs in mixed company I will forever relish the opportunities I have to say wop, dago (greasy or regular), guinea, guido, eye-tie, hunky, bohunk, polack, mick, cabbage-eater, kraut, frog, russki and whatever else my friends of the targeted (white!) ethnicity think is funny when we are drunk together and loving around. I in turn accept whatever they throw at me, and I’ll also take anti-me-in-particular slurs from my friends who are POC with no tit to their tat. Slurs against white people are just really really funny.

No anti-semitism, that’s not funny for anyone.

That's still pretty darn contextual though.
Particularly for the darker end of Euros (so yeah Italians) getting that thrown at you from say an rear end in a top hat southerner like this grandma is a different beast than loving around mutually with friends.

Like I'm betting a good sum of money that the girl in the story is visibly Mediterranean in a very very pale backwoods place.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for leaving my jewellery on my bedside locker without notifying my niece what it was?

hosed around, found out.

I don't want to victim-blame here, but I'm pretty sure if I had someone in my household regularly who experienced uncontrollable urges to pick up and chew random metal objects, I wouldn't leave my body jewelry out in plain sight. Get a box or something, Jesus

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

I (20, he/they) live with my fiancé (60, he/she) and her son (19, he/him).

naw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for cutting my neighbours tree branches and accidentally looking in her room?

I agree with the topless lady.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'm pretty far behind but are seriously none of y'all into the guy with the panty wall, c'mon that guy's gonna be fun

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm pretty far behind but are seriously none of y'all into the guy with the panty wall, c'mon that guy's gonna be fun

Panty wall vs condom corkboard hmmm

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my ex?boyfriend I hope the kid isn’t his

quote:

Been dating 34M for 3 months, I’m 32F. We are both child free and want to stay that way, or so I thought.

Before me he dated some girl from a different city but ended end of April because the distance was too much. He said neither of them have each other on socials or that and he deleted her number.

2 weeks ago, he gets a call out the blue from her and shock she’s pregnant. She didn’t find out until that day as she was still getting her period, she is not showing and only found out via a smear test. He was shocked and told me immediately, I asked him if she’d booked a termination and he said she had decided she didn’t want one and she had told him that he didn’t have to be involved if he didn’t want to be but he was the last person she slept with so he is the father. My boyfriend told her he needed some time to think.

I asked him why he needed time because he told me he didn’t want children. He said this was a lot to process and although he didn’t want children knowing his child was coming into the world changed things and he wouldn’t want them to not have a dad.

This obviously was a shock and I said how did he know it was even his, he didn’t take kindly this and said he couldn’t think of a reason she would lie. I said maybe for money and he then explained it wouldn’t be that as she is from a very wealthy family and she has a high paying IT job. She also told him she is happy for a DNA test to be done.

Thing between my boyfriend and I have been a bit rocky since as he has been in communication with his ex and even though he has consistently kept everything above board and shown me all conversations it makes me really uncomfortable. DNA test were done last week and last night she asked him if he wanted to come to a scan today but she understood if he didn’t as he hadn’t had the DNA results yet, but he said he would go with her and I was annoyed as I had planned to ask him to go shopping with me but when I told him this he said we could go a different day because he didn’t want to miss this.

Like I said he has been great and has constantly been checking on me and asking if I’m okay but I keep telling him I’m fine because I don’t want him knowing how angry I am he’s putting his ex first.

Anyway today I snapped. He came home (I was at his apartment) from the scan and he was so happy, he had an envelope which I’m assuming had pictures of his maybe baby in and he also had a shopping bag.

Before he could open his mouth I said ‘so you can take your ex shopping for a kid that’s probably not even yours but not go with me’. He looked shocked and said ‘I didn’t go anywhere with her after the scan, I needed socks and some other bits’

I scoffed and said ‘I hope the kid isn’t yours’ then left

It’s been 3 hours and he’s not contacted me,

I told my brother and he thinks I’m a psycho and an rear end in a top hat but I don’t so Reddit am I the rear end in a top hat

quote:

Probably the quickest update but he texted me saying this.

‘The way you spoke to me was unacceptable and I will stand for being spoken to like that. I understand you are angry and in shock but how do you think I feel? 3 weeks ago I didn’t even know I was about to become a father, I constantly checked on you and you weren’t honest. Never once did you ask me how I was.

The DNA results came back an hour ago, she is my daughter. I will not have my daughter around someone who already resents her for something she didn’t do. I think it’s best we part ways. Anything of yours you’ve left here I will ship to your house and I don’t know I’ve left anything at yours but if I have please just discard of it.

I wish you all the best’

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

kazr posted:

Panty wall vs condom corkboard hmmm

Both are considerably better than a drawer 9f drivers licenses.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The guy lucked out that he only spent three months with that ChildFree psycho before she showed her true colors.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Evil Willow posted:

This dude fuckin rules.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Whom amongst us hasn't eaten from the cat's wet food dish

Seriously though as long as the cat's bowl is marked or kept separate who cares. An 8 month old is basically a cat that shits on itself as far as I can remember from my niece and nephew being that age.

Yeah once they start crawling they will happily eat the catfood anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

This dude fuckin rules.

And that kid grew up to be Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I [26m] got home from a work trip early and walked in on my roommate [27m] getting spanked by his girlfriend [24f].

Tag yourself I'm the 10 seconds of watching your homie get spanked in absolute silence.

This is kind of how I met my very first roommate.

I moved into a university dorm. Weeks before this the school sent me my roommates name and email address with the assumption that we would get together and chat about stuff we needed. I tossed him an email but I never heard back.

I moved in on the weekend before school and it looks like he moved in already. Computer, closet full of clothes, books and stuff. I hang around for a few hours but he never shows up. Our dorm had a first night Getting To Know Your Roommate Activity but he's missing so I am the guy who kind of awkwardly stands around alone.

After a few weeks of this I basically forgot about him and would just refer to him as The Ghost. It was kind of lame at first because everyone was hanging with their roommate early on but I eventually made friends and then just considered it kind of a bonus. I've got more space, I can play the music I want, and I can bring girls home without it being weird.

School started in August. One night at the end of October I stumble into my dorm rather drunk after a Halloween party and just plop myself into the computer chair - this whole maneuver took like 2 seconds. The room is pitch black with curtains drawn. I turn on my massive gaming PC monitor which floods the room in light and see this girl wearing nothing but cat ears bouncing on my roommate's bed. We lock eyes for about 10 seconds, both of us utterly confused, until I manage to stumble out an introduction.

"Uhh, hey, I'm Mr. Grapes. I like your costume." I awkwardly reach out to shake her hand and the covers move and leaning out to the side behind her I see The Ghost, who she is riding reverse cowgirl. I introduce myself to him as well.

After another awkward handshake I stumble out of the dorm and pass out in a neighbor's room. I waited until pretty late in the day (1pm) and knock a lot on my door and finally open it up. The Ghost is gone. The bed is made. Did I imagine it all?

There is a single pair of cat ears hanging on the bed post.

It was not until December that I met The Ghost and his girlfriend again, this time fully clothed. Turns out he just had super racist traditional parents that would disown him if he had a girlfriend at all, and doubly bad if she was the Wrong Race (anything but his specific region of India, so this Japanese goth girl was a ticket to damnation). So he signed up for a whole fake boys-dorm but had really been living with his girlfriend in a luxurious house the entire time, since they were ridiculously loaded. He just used to 'lived-in' dorm to show his parents' spies when they came to check up on him, which had apparently happened twice already when I was not around.

Our first meeting only happened because they thought since they were in college they needed to experience Dorm-Sex at some point as kind of a checklist of American College Experiences. I'm glad I could contribute the Drunken Friend Stumbling Into Your Action scenario that comes as a bonus with the dorm sex experience.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 11, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He's getting his affairs in order.

No way could I let this pass without notice.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for saying my friend should be more generous with his gift card?

quote:

My friend won one of those gift cards from a grocery store. By purchasing something he was automatically entered into the contest and he won a 1000 dollar gift card. But the thing is he rarely shops at that specific store AND the card expires in a month from now. He got the card two months ago and is telling me about it just now and he’s only used like 100 of it. Im thinking there’s no way you’ll spend like 900 dollars in a month - which he agreed! - so why not let me spend some of it? And he said no.

I asked if it’s contest rules that someone else can’t spend it and he said nope, the card isn’t even attached to his name and anyone can use it. Ok so what’s the problem and he said that it doesn’t feel right because I didn’t earn it. So now he’s annoyed because he’s throwing money down the drain

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If he doesn't use it and lets it expire that's super rear end in a top hat and weird. I feel like it'd be way easy to spend 900 bucks at the grocery store, probably get the ripoff mustard that's more than a dollar and poo poo like that and itll be 900 before you know it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Alcohol doesn't expire, and you can always get like canned food that's shelf stable for years.

You can get some nice steaks.

Cleaning products last forever.

There's more and it's bugging me that I can't think of it.

Edit: Honey is good forever too, as long as it doesn't get wet.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 11, 2021

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Stocking a pantry with cans and other long life products as insurance against natural or other disasters, or economic hardship, seems like a smart thing to do in a country like the US.

Also stores sell appliances which are definitely not a dollar.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Most of those are garbage, though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It's possible the gift card has some kind of "no kitchen/electrical appliances included" exclusion, but yeah, what a twit.

Offer him $450 for it and let him torture himself with should-he-let-freeloader-who-didn't-win-~honestly~-profit.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my soon-to-be MIL that my engagement ring is cursed?

quote:

I (F26) just got engaged. My soon to be MIL is a nightmare. We are currently renovating a part of our place and she has been lent a key in the meantime because she keeps coming over uninvited under the guise of “helping” clean up, but she really just likes to snoop and interfere.

I do a martial art and take my engagement ring off before class. I came home from an afternoon class one day and my engagement ring was not in the jewellery dish that I usually leave it in. I asked her about it and she told me that she’d taken it to a jeweller to get it cleaned. She looked super smug about it and when I asked which jeweller, she pretended she couldn’t remember. I didn’t want to give her the satisfaction of having a reaction to it so I just let it slide for a couple of days.

A couple of days pass and I ask her about it again and she’s super vague, still pretending she can’t remember which jeweller and saying she’s too busy to go pick it up anytime soon. So I said, “wow, I really feel for that jeweller… hope nothing happens to her.” She asked what I meant, and I told her that my superstitious Brazilian grandmother had performed some traditional ritual on it that’s usually known to curse anyone who takes or handles the ring other than the owner. She looked uneasy and asked me a couple more questions about this ritual and I made some story up about how my mother’s ring had been taken by a burglar who was crushed by a pillar of cement on his way out of the house. (I totally made this entire ritual up and I do have a Brazilian grandmother but obviously she did not do some ritual to my ring.)

The next day, my fiancée told me while I was out that she was there to clean up a bit… Lo and behold, I get home (she had already left) and find my ring where I had left it. It didn’t look any cleaner than it had before lol.

A week later, I receive an abusive call from her saying she’d been in a minor car accident and she was blaming me and my “witch doctor” grandmother, saying she was now cursed for having touched it. I passed the phone to my fiancée who tried to calm her down, but she was hysterical. I told my fiancée what I had told her, and he scolded me a bit because we both know how she is and I should have known she’d react this sort of way.

It’s been a further week since then and she refuses to talk to me and keeps slandering me to my fiancée. Overall he sort of recognises how ridiculous she’s being, but the drama of the situation is making me wonder if the whole curse tale was taking it a bit too far. So, AITA?

ETA: grammar

that's just good clean fun

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mx. posted:

She certainly was hysterical.

Edit: WTF was she doing with it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Evil Willow posted:

best comment

quote:

He clearly wasn't childfree anyway if he was willing to date someone so immature

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Beachcomber posted:

OP posted:

She’s never vocally disagreed with the engagement but she has definitely interfered, I personally think it was just to mess with me or keep it from me. I really don’t know. I don’t think she ever even took it to a jeweller to be honest.

My guess would be that she wanted me to have some angry or upset reaction and then try to suggest to my fiancée that I’m ungrateful or something like that. That’s why I didn’t react initially.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antivehicular posted:

I don't want to victim-blame here, but I'm pretty sure if I had someone in my household regularly who experienced uncontrollable urges to pick up and chew random metal objects, I wouldn't leave my body jewelry out in plain sight. Get a box or something, Jesus

Did you miss the part where she did put it in a box next to her bed? That's what a bedside locker is. She just clearly didn't lock it and her niece went into her room and opened it.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

hosed around, found out.
So the niece was fine chewing on a piece of metal that had been in OP’s ear, nose, or even bellybutton, but nipple is a bridge too far? Next time she should tell her it was her clit piercing, maybe she’ll stop.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

So the niece was fine chewing on a piece of metal that had been in OP’s ear, nose, or even bellybutton, but nipple is a bridge too far? Next time she should tell her it was her clit piercing, maybe she’ll stop.

PornHub content script writer begins furiously taking notes

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who open other peoples' packages without permission should have their hands broken.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People who open other peoples' packages without permission should have their hands broken.

I'm a firm believe in an eye for an eye so I say they should have their hands opened

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beachcomber posted:

The urge to chew was irresistible!!!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Mx. posted:

She could probably get some crusty granola-person to pose as a shaman and sell MIL some special "amazonian smudging sage" or whatever. Split the proceeds afterwards. Or an abuela from the local taco-stand for some ethnic flair.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good western science will prevail, put the ring in a faraday cage

On second thought, put the mom in a faraday cage and assure her the curse can't touch her as long as she stays in there

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Invisible Clergy posted:

Pretty impressive Freudian slip where OP textually refers to the fiance as "mom" and then his post anyway.

This has already been removed but the OPs post history reveals that the 60yr old fiancee is also the OPs ex step parent so errr, yeah, about that...

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:whitewater:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dazerbeams posted:

The guy lucked out that he only spent three months with that ChildFree psycho before she showed her true colors.
I dunno. Both seem like pieces of work. He clearly wants kids and was lying to her about it. He was also raw-dogging his ex.

Girl dodged a bullet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

but at least you get to watch it break

I was far too angry online to actually click the link, what do you take me for? I did click it later and we cool though.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

He's getting his affairs in order.

Ahh yeah, that’s the one I was fumbling for. Thank you!

Dik Hz posted:

I dunno. Both seem like pieces of work. He clearly wants kids and was lying to her about it. He was also raw-dogging his ex.

Girl dodged a bullet.

Biiiiit of a stretch there but sure

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pondex posted:

She could probably get some crusty granola-person to pose as a shaman and sell MIL some special "amazonian smudging sage" or whatever. Split the proceeds afterwards. Or an abuela from the local taco-stand for some ethnic flair.
This, but you forgot the final step, which is the most important of all:

Take your share of the money from the “curse removal” and invest it in new locks that MIL doesn’t have a key to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

How the gently caress is this not an open and shut case

Like, the niece screaming at the OP? Get the gently caress out of my house and don't loving come back you dumbshit