Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm guessing because what is just a gossip story to try and make Labour MPs look as bad as Tories passes into almost-certainly-actionable if you're going to claim that someone had to be wheelchaired off the plane and they're fairly certain Charlotte Nichols would sue if they named her but it's too juicy a detail to leave out.
Telegraph's named Charlotte Nichols directly, with a bunch of "it is said that"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/10/labour-snp-mps-criticised-drinking-heavily-official-flight-gibraltar/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
getting so drunk on a plane you need a wheelchair to get off earns you a boris yeltsin badge of honour imo

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

crispix posted:

getting so drunk on a plane you need a wheelchair to get off earns you a boris yeltsin badge of honour imo

not applicable unless you piss on the landing gear and also (allegedly) poo poo yourself a few times

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/rickwookie/status/1177213055127756801

https://i.imgur.com/6gRIln2.mp4

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 10, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Woah hold on theres nothing wrong with getting drunk and doing a bunch of coke, lets not baby with the bathwater this before we know what we've done.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's the coke I feel sorry for.
Imagine, you have dreams of being lined up between a prostitute's tits; or being snorted off some gently quivering arsecheeks; or being used as inspiration to make some sweaty trust-fund kid think he's a rock 'n' roll star in the making... and then Michael Gove's face is peering down at you, eyes widening in appalling anticipation, nostrils flaring in preparation and a fleshy, somehow almost scaly tongue licking what are supposedly lips as those cavernous nose-holes and the septum like a limestone cave in Yorkshire approach with the inevitability of the heat death of the universe and he starts inhaling as he leans over and it kinda sounds like a last-legs Henry Hoover...

A nightmarish way to go

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Lord of War intro but following a dose of cocaine from its inception as a coca plant to harvest to extraction to transportation and all the way into Michael Gove's nose

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1458554691663585285

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch/status/1193836378934710272?s=20

Seriously considering a new avatar now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody groucho marxists disrespecting are troops.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

lmao this is amazing

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Did he die on the way back from Button Moon?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just read all the words of the Wilfred Owen poem for the first time in about 45 years.
Could be the lyrics of a death metal song.

Dulce et Decorum Est
BY WILFRED OWEN
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Best version I've found (poem is approx 1:45 - 4:50) (not metal!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3TO6aHDvE

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 11, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Salute my local MP for disrespecting the troops

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Did Lowtax seriously loving die on Remembrance Day.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TBH, if the Tories restricted themselves to getting bollocksed it would be better all round.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Szmitten posted:

Guess the forums really were his phylactery after all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sinky posted:

I'm pretty sure every non agency job contract i've had has a clause about not having second jobs. I guess that sort of thing is just for the little people who need to be beholden to one employer, not people who are rich and/or supposed to be concentrating on running the country.

I can only speak from Finnish perspective, but here reprentation is not consider equal to having a job. MP's don't even get a salary, they get a 'reward'. Usually they don't have time for other jobs but some are ceo's and many are in boards of directors in companies or coops, as well as positions in union, town councils etc.

And on the other hand, no employer can forbid you from taking part in politics. It would be impossible to find people for town councils otherwise. All the clauses I've seen only restrict you from working for a competitor in the same business.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Szmitten posted:

It's still the 10th in America.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

WhatEvil posted:

It's still the 10th in America.

Can't believe the Time Zones are disrespecting Are Boys.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wear a poppy for Lowtax.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nonsense posted:

Wear a poppy for Lowtax.

We remember the fallen (from grace) (and from the top of the stairs, which I assume is how he hosed up his spine)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

RIP Dave Lee Travis

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
F

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

edit: Dave Lee Travis is not dead.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 11, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

May his cornflakes always be hairy

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had the radio on in my car when he did his on-air flounceout from Radio 1, and my reaction was "...huh. Anyway-"

Also, did not know he was convicted of indecent assault a few years ago. :stare:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gone to the great stairless house in the sky, F.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Rumours of a zip line incident are already circulating.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Szmitten posted:

Wait what the gently caress lmao

Anyway I'm super glad I'm working from home and don't have any meetings at 11. Can't be hosed with all the poppy wanking.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
up in heaven with vilerat, barnacle jim, and the guy who had his pumpkins stolen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That's not Dave Lee Travis and he's not dead. That's Lowtax and he IS dead. Rest in piss.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

speedran a fall from grace and then considered the only way out of a lovely situation of his own creation was to eat a bullet. it sucks that he never found it in himself to work on his mental health and try to be a better person if only for the sake of his children. He died a villain and thats how he will be remembered now.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

kecske posted:

speedran a fall from grace and then considered the only way out of a lovely situation of his own creation was to eat a bullet. it sucks that he never found it in himself to work on his mental health and try to be a better person if only for the sake of his children. He died a villain and thats how he will be remembered now.

Yeah, this. (Read LabyAmbien's post in the news thread, it's loving damning)

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3984488&pagenumber=120&perpage=40#post519160186

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 11, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Olpainless posted:

Yeah, this. (Read LabyAmbien's post in the news thread, it's loving damning)

But this is the news thread

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
tldr Lowtax spent all his money so his ex and kids would get nothing in the divorce and then shot himself.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
yikes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Seems like a good time to post the number for the Samaritans, since events like this can be triggering for people in a bad place: 116 123

My PMs are always open for anyone who needs someone to talk to or just to listen

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

The UK does pretty well by perceptions of public sector corruption standards

How much of that is the perceptions bit and how much is reality is a different matter, as is how much of that is due to the UK being an 'advanced economy' which means corruption is really rich people owning what used to be the public sector as opposed to average people having to bribe the gas board.

I look at the UK from (post-Xi crackdown) China and laugh and laugh at the description of the UK as “corrupt”, and China is actually pretty good these days compared to the past. There’s still a lot of social fabric to tear up.

I used to work for a Chinese company that for various reasons was applying for licences in the UK to do their thing, and my colleagues were absolutely baffled that local government granted the licenses based on the rules without bribes or threats from connections higher up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Gibraltar

Payndz posted:

I had the radio on in my car when he did his on-air flounceout from Radio 1, and my reaction was "...huh. Anyway-"

Also, did not know he was convicted of indecent assault a few years ago. :stare:

Molest we forget.

keep punching joe posted:

tldr Lowtax spent all his money so his ex and kids would get nothing in the divorce and then shot himself.
What did he spend it on?