Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

magimix posted:

I don't get that reference at all, alas. Is it anything to do with barrelling along at 200+ miles an hour, and then you just suddenly come to a halt for no reason? :argh:

It's a character from the expanse novels that went through the gate first and discovered that there was a speedlimit on the other side so they went from going very, very fast to very, very slow. It's a good series, I recommend both the books and the tv-series. (The books are better because you can be like "I read the books" whenever someone mentions seeing the tv-series :smug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah I've been playing on Solo since Monday, which gets old very fast sind the drivatars still use your car

Sindri
Nov 4, 2009
Requested to join GRCC as MashFigaro

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Mr. Neutron posted:

tl;dr basics:

- a bit of a lazy port with more detailed options missing
- no RT during gameplay unless modded
- no DRS (which is a bummer)
- higher resolutions are more taxing on CPU because of extra LOD which is quite unusual in games (might explain the stutters I get on extreme with my venerable i58600k)
- 4k30 requires a 2080, 4k60 a 3080

I'm getting 4k60 on a 2070 super and Ryzen 5800... I do drop to 45 or so sometimes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Willy plot is taking a twist. I just received my first random gift Willy from another player, and after claiming it, it didn't have any masteries, so that was basically a free wheelspin (well, for 5 points, but 0 credits) before it was gifted again. Are we to expect an endless deluge of free Willies to each other, every time with the mastery points reset?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
For my sins, have requested to join GRCC (as magimix, of course).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This may well be me realising something incredibly obvious and basic, but I've found applying gradual pressure to the Xbox One triggers so much easier when I put the tips of my fingers over the pointy end parts. Not sure why but I never tried it until this morning and it makes it so much easier to apply partial pressure on the accelerator without needing to use brakes. I used to play loads of FPS games so got used to putting my finger halfway down the smooth part like a trigger I guess, which isn't very helpful in a driving game.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000

FishMcCool posted:

The Willy plot is taking a twist. I just received my first random gift Willy from another player, and after claiming it, it didn't have any masteries, so that was basically a free wheelspin (well, for 5 points, but 0 credits) before it was gifted again. Are we to expect an endless deluge of free Willies to each other, every time with the mastery points reset?

Oh yes, I have gifted many many many Willys and hope my giftees enjoy the free-ish super wheelspin and xp. I would expect this to be nerfed very very soon as it is economy-breaking but who knows.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

magimix posted:

I don't get that reference at all, alas. Is it anything to do with barrelling along at 200+ miles an hour, and then you just suddenly come to a halt for no reason? :argh:

What Tjyv said, but if you wanna know. Content warning for amazing gore and mid-series spoilers! Taken out of context it won't feel like a spoiler for like three seasons, but it's still spoilers.
https://youtu.be/waG8YYTwpAQ

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Black Griffon posted:

What Tjyv said, but if you wanna know. Content warning for amazing gore and mid-series spoilers! Taken out of context it won't feel like a spoiler for like three seasons, but it's still spoilers.

That is some top-tier splatter! :kiss:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just got this game through the cloud gaming included with the ultimate gamepass. First forza game I ever play, this is fun. So much stuff to do, I don't know where to start lol

Chochese
Nov 16, 2005
Requested to join, Circuitjrk

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

The AI in this game is not "real", it's faked to make sure it feels like a tight race. On higher difficulties (highly skilled+) the AI will do weird things like accelerate from 0-100 in 0.5 seconds and just pull away but after ~75% of the race is done they will slow down to let you win. When you get into first place the AI boosts are disabled and you will notice that you pull far ahead after having to fight really hard for that 1st place. It's very obvious in the showcases where the AI will literally slow down right in front of the finish line to make sure you win by 0.1 seconds (if it is a close race).

It was the same in FH4 but in this game they gave the AI way too much "boost", especially during cross country races.

drat, kinda wish I didn't know that!

I knew the showcases were rigged for max excitement, but I thought the regular races were fair.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

AndrewP posted:

drat, kinda wish I didn't know that!

I knew the showcases were rigged for max excitement, but I thought the regular races were fair.

*desperately braking and drifting through a downhill sandy hairpin as an AI reliant coasts through at 120kmph, not even kicking up dust*

PIT the AI. Show them who's boss.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 11, 2021

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

[GRCC] GolfHole Hat: Hello? Is anybody there?
bornslow69420: Hi.
[GRCC] GolfHole Hat: BWAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 11, 2021

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

The AI in this game is not "real", it's faked to make sure it feels like a tight race. On higher difficulties (highly skilled+) the AI will do weird things like accelerate from 0-100 in 0.5 seconds and just pull away but after ~75% of the race is done they will slow down to let you win. When you get into first place the AI boosts are disabled and you will notice that you pull far ahead after having to fight really hard for that 1st place. It's very obvious in the showcases where the AI will literally slow down right in front of the finish line to make sure you win by 0.1 seconds (if it is a close race).

It was the same in FH4 but in this game they gave the AI way too much "boost", especially during cross country races.
That explains why during the Colossus the drivatar in first place just loving launched ahead and I only overtook them at 80% complete

Also, the past seasonal event with the super saloons was hell on earth in a RWD car and I will never make that mistake again

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So last night the servers shat themselves and when I logged in the game told me it couldn’t find my festival playlist progress so it was reverted to a backup or something. When I checked it, it was progress from a couple days ago, 21 points complete, Alpine a110 not claimed. So I claimed it, and got a duplicate car.

Very shortly after everything went back to normal and I kept the dupe car.

Kinda wish it was a better car.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So the new season is here but I still get the "failed to download latest shop items" error when trying to load the Forzathon shop.

And also I'm getting the '1 foot short' message on the danger sign that another goon was getting last season, even though I'm in the right car type/class and well beyond the required distance. C'mon I want my got danged DeLorean :mad:

edit: from poking around on reddit it sounds like others are having the same problem with the shop.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 11, 2021

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I hit prestige 1 but it looks broken on the playerlist so it just looks like I'm level 1 again.

Time to trick some folks.

Also, please post your car/horn combinations for maximum fun time:

- Ford Transit Supervan 3 + School Bus Livery + School Bell Horn
- Mercedes Racing Truck + Optimus Prime Livery + Laser Horn
- Crown Victoria Interceptor + Mexican Policia Livery + Red Alert Horn

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

new to the series - and racing games in general - with FH5 on gamepass. Getting my PS5 controller working was a bit of a faff, but other than that I've been enjoying myself

I have no loving clue what I'm doing in the Tuning screens, and part of me kinda wants to know rather than download someone else's tune (which is a cool feature, mind)

also wondering if there's anything i :airquote:should beeline early on as far as feature unlocks, useful(?) cars, or whatever

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
As a first timer I'd recommend doing a bit of everything and seeing what you like. There has been some discussion ITT about getting some Rivals (think time trials) scores done early while it's still easy to get top 5% for those reward cars but you can just buy them at the Autoshow or Auction house so they are not exclusive unlocks for those accolades.

Ultimately there should be very little content that's hard to access or gated in any way freeing you up to figure out what you like the most.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
For some reason I can't get the speed to display in km/h. I switched the settings to metric, but nothing happens.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

also wondering if there's anything i :airquote:should beeline early on as far as feature unlocks, useful(?) cars, or whatever

Maybe not as the very first thing you do, but if you're after completing as many of the accolades as possible there's some for putting up a top 5% time in the various car classes in Rivals. A lot of those times are pretty weak now so it's not too hard but it's only going to get more difficult as time goes by, there's been some discussion in this thread the last few days about suggested cars/courses.

e:f;b

Also if you check out the festival playlist there's some reward cars that are available for completing various events/challenges, but it changes every week. Some of those cars are not available except through the playlist (and on the auction house when people sell them off) and may not come back for a while, so if there's something that catches your eye make sure to get it done.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 11, 2021

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

new to the series - and racing games in general - with FH5 on gamepass. Getting my PS5 controller working was a bit of a faff, but other than that I've been enjoying myself

I have no loving clue what I'm doing in the Tuning screens, and part of me kinda wants to know rather than download someone else's tune (which is a cool feature, mind)

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're good.
If you feel brave, you can try to do the 'Rivals' option when it unlocks for you. This can allow you to unlock some (crappy) cars.

Just do events with whatever you like to drive the most. The game throws levels at you so fast that you should wheelspin something flashy pretty quickly.

re: Tuning. I mean. You can learn, I guess. I'd practice driving enough to be able to say "if only this car could apply more downforce while braking, i'd be able to make that turn that I always mess up in order to shave .3s on my lap time". Since that'll probably never happen, focus on driving. :)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

For some reason I can't get the speed to display in km/h. I switched the settings to metric, but nothing happens.

It's a microsoft game so it's entirely possible this is tied to your localization settings.

But just in case:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

AirRaid posted:

So last night the servers shat themselves and when I logged in the game told me it couldn’t find my festival playlist progress so it was reverted to a backup or something. When I checked it, it was progress from a couple days ago, 21 points complete, Alpine a110 not claimed. So I claimed it, and got a duplicate car.

Very shortly after everything went back to normal and I kept the dupe car.

Kinda wish it was a better car.

the a110 rules, actually. i've even set some really competitive rival times in it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

This isn't perfect but it's a good starting place to get into tuning: https://forzatuner.com/yourtune.php

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
You can't set the difficulty for the seasonal championship to be higher than highly skilled anymore, that sucks. :saddowns:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If you're gonna go offroading in the Baja why not do it with some style?

Alt title: Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

GolfHole posted:

It's a microsoft game so it's entirely possible this is tied to your localization settings.

But just in case:

My localisation should be in km/h too. My settings are the same but it still displays everything in mph. Oh well, not the worst thing but slightly annoying.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

My localisation should be in km/h too. My settings are the same but it still displays everything in mph. Oh well, not the worst thing but slightly annoying.

My thing was messed up until I changed localization on the xbox site: https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/account-profile/profile/change-xbox-live-gamertag
Bottom-left. I assume you should sign in first.

I don't know why it worked; it shouldn't have worked.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I see wer'e back to seasonal races meaning "pick the prefect car" agian.
I'd suggest the 1967 stingray for the wet muscle car ones.. it kind of doesn't overpower the rain so it's a good pick. I used whatever free charger I had with the higher rating and Well no that did badly.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Requested to join under Carlioo8008. I don't know why microsoft gave me the boob number but I'm real, you can trust me.

Really like that I can control what I want to unlock, so I can focus on the current missions rather than being forced into the next season like I was in FH4!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

GolfHole posted:

[GRCC] GolfHole Hat: Hello? Is anybody there?
bornslow69420: Hi.
[GRCC] GolfHole Hat: BWAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lamao I immediately noticed the "BWAAAAAAAH!!!!" chat thing and "equipped" it but I totally forgot his truck was in the game. I need this.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Black Griffon posted:

Just as long as it's not the other thing that happened when going through the ring at the end of the last season.

typhy posted:

i got banned from online for a week for making a van that says "cum" on the side
stay safe out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p19w0dmeGI

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 11, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I haven't yet, but this afternoon I'll be trying to join GRCC, same username.

Also where in the hell is my Lancia Delta? I've been driving that car since Forza on the og xbox.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for all the advice :cheers:

GolfHole posted:

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're good.
If you feel brave, you can try to do the 'Rivals' option when it unlocks for you. This can allow you to unlock some (crappy) cars.

Just do events with whatever you like to drive the most. The game throws levels at you so fast that you should wheelspin something flashy pretty quickly.

re: Tuning. I mean. You can learn, I guess. I'd practice driving enough to be able to say "if only this car could apply more downforce while braking, i'd be able to make that turn that I always mess up in order to shave .3s on my lap time". Since that'll probably never happen, focus on driving. :)

my goals re: tuning, based on what I know so far, are
- go faster (red paint, obv)
- stop understeering into that tree
- stop oversteering into that other tree

so that's kind of the level I'm approaching the game from, not so much on shaving lap times

Kludge
Mar 25, 2016
So looking at the car rewards for the current and upcoming seasons, it appears that the first car reward is exclusive to that season while the second car reward is just an expensive/rare car but is otherwise obtainable outside of that season. Am I correct in that assumption?

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i got banned from online for a week for making a van that says "cum" on the side
stay safe out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

typhy posted:

stay safe out there

:cumpolice: