Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You've been drafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

You have been posting some unhinged posts lately.

lmao acknowledging the pixel isn't perfect is "unhinged" now.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I love SA dearly but this thread is one of the hardest to read for me. The Pixel 6 (Pro in my case) is the best phone I've ever used and that Google ever made (and I owned and used all of them)

That said, there's some poo poo on this phone that for some reason won't be acknowledged by some users and I can't understand why: The fingerprint reader is slower than before (even Google admits to it), the phone sounds a little hollow in the middle, the gaps between the camera bar and the glass have swallowed more dust than my vacuum the last couple of years and for some loving reason Google still hasn't figured out how to make non-wobbly buttons (see my avatar. Yes, they are clicky. Still wobbly, though. My iPhone 12 from work has perfectly firm and clicky ones).

Still, I love it and don't want to use anything else. It's a fantastic phone and even more so at 900€. But please guys...stop defending the things that can clearly be improved upon.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 11, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lmao acknowledging the pixel isn't perfect is "unhinged" now.

I mean, you literally criticized a perceived sound/feel when touching the screen that even side by side with my iPhone 12, I am unable to detect.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm feeling it as well and I have an iPhone 12 sitting right next to it at this moment.

Maybe it's just different standards for different people (see: all my discussions on buttons in the past) but for me (and USF) it's there.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

couldcareless posted:

I mean, you literally criticized a perceived sound/feel when touching the screen that even side by side with my iPhone 12, I am unable to detect.
It's just a minor thing but the feel of a device is not entirely objective anyway. If you cannot detect it then cool for you, be happy that it cannot bother you 🙂

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everything can be improved upon. The problem is that people take small subjective things and blow them out of proportion and pointing out something is subjective is not automatically "defending faults." Also, not say its happening here as much, but usually any of these tiny things are followed by "LOL WHY IS GOOGLE SO BAD AT BUILDING PHONES THESE THINGS ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK." Those sort of statements are reinforcing themselves to the point where you then have people bringing them up preemptively when asking questions about the device "Is the hollow feeling THAT BAD, will I be able to tolerate it?"

Like, literally, I have an iPhone 12 Pro MAX, S21 Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro, Z Fold 3 and OP9P lined up on my desk right at this moment cannot for the life of me come away with any sort of "hollow" impression, especially at any sort of finger tapping velocity that I would use a touch screen device with. They all sound a little different with the OP9P, P6P, and iPhone all sounding the most similar. The S21 Ultra sounds a bit more deadened than the other three (but only when I'm hammering the screen). The Z Fold 3 is middle ground between them.

So yeah, I'm going to call out nitpicky bullshit that's never come up with any other device despite many of them feeling similar all because some blogger looked at a teardown and postulated that not gluing the poo poo out of every square inch of a display is somehow a problem and "not flagship."

As far as the fingerprint reader. That's also a person by person thing. I've stated that it's a bit slower than the OP9P one, but not in a way that hinders usability for me because the rejection rate is about the same as I would have from the back reader. Others are having other experiences, but that's what you have when you have all different kinds of meat hitting machine. Samsung's use of ultrasonic sensors is just as derided by people, but that's hardly every brought up when comparing devices. I find the ultrasontic sensors utterly and completely useless as the rejection rate for me, no matter how I train them (if I can even complete a training cycle), is around 70%. You also know that if google had gone back sensor or power button sensor, everyone would be coming from every corner of the internet saying how Google cheaped out on flagship specifications by not going in-screen.

That has been the jumping off point for a goal post shift about device security where suddenly it's an issue that Google doesn't have optical face unlock which they haven't had forever because it's an insecure tech compared to a real biometric. If they have included it, there would then be endless posts about how a photograph unlocked their phone and what a joke Google is.

It's exhausting and it's a lens that's not applied to any other device on the market at this point. By all means, point out poo poo that you would like to change on the device. I'll start. The three piece back for the camera bar doesn't look as sleek as it could. The MMWave antenna window looks tacked on. I would still prefer a non-curved display. I would like for them to be less aggressive about charging rate falloff or let us choose if we want to fast charge at higher capacities. It's just the crap of presenting a list of subjective annoyances and distorted data interpretations as design and construction faults of the device or "broken promises" that gets grating.

Why does it matter? Why do I care? Because I do not want us to go down to two loving manufacturers for smartphones (Apple and Samsung.) The echo chamber is loud and you routinely hear people say things like "I heard the Pixel has a ton of problems so I'm probably just going to get a Galaxy instead." Because that's the difference, presenting these things as objective flaws and shortcomings rather than subjective impressions.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 11, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlexF posted:

I love SA dearly but this thread is one of the hardest to read for me. The Pixel 6 (Pro in my case) is the best phone I've ever used and that Google ever made (and I owned and used all of them)

That said, there's some poo poo on this phone that for some reason won't be acknowledged by some users and I can't understand why: The fingerprint reader is slower than before (even Google admits to it), the phone sounds a little hollow in the middle, the gaps between the camera bar and the glass have swallowed more dust than my vacuum the last couple of years and for some loving reason Google still hasn't figured out how to make non-wobbly buttons (see my avatar. Yes, they are clicky. Still wobbly, though. My iPhone 12 from work has perfectly firm and clicky ones).

Still, I love it and don't want to use anything else. It's a fantastic phone and even more so at 900€. But please guys...stop defending the things that can clearly be improved upon.

You're bang on here, make no mistake this is the Pixel Propaganda thread. Its sad, really

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
it definitely does feel more hollow than previous phones and if you bought one this post is an attack against you personally

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I feel like these complaints, while minor, are legitimate and reenforce my opinion that the vanilla Pixel 6 is the correct choice. All of these things are nothing at $600.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

codo27 posted:

Pixel Propaganda

Pixel Propagandist gangtag plz

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Ever since upgrading to 12, my Pixel 5 will let me swipe the notification tray down from the top of the screen and do things like turn on the flashlight or go into Do Not Disturb mode even if the phone is locked. It's gotten really annoying to put my hand in my pocket with my phone and have things be configured differently than I'm used to and it seems like a bad idea to allow people to do things to my phone if it's locked. How do I stop it from doing this? I feel like it should just be an option in Settings but I can't find it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hello Android thread. I own one Android device and it makes me want to scream, please help.

I have an AVIN replacement head unit for my BMW E92. This is just an Android tablet you install in your dash with some custom software to make it work with your car.

Mainly, I use it for wireless CarPlay. This functions through a USB adapter (which uses Bluetooth and wifi) and an app that communicates with it called AutoPlay.

Unfortunately, the tablet itself is constantly discoverable via Bluetooth and there is no way to turn that off through the UI. This causes issues with the wireless CarPlay USB adapter, namely, the audio skips like a bad CD.

Is there any way for me to permanently disable Bluetooth on the tablet, but not on the USB adapter?

I tried asking AVIN's support but they are completely useless.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

haven't posted here in a while since complaining about android 12 turning my pixel 5 lock screen into a mess. it has somehow gotten worse since then but it doesn't feel worthwhile to bring it up here. people will just write it off as user error, edge case (so what?), or a lie or something bc how dare anyone attempt to defile the sanctity of google's sacred slab?

but for actual content, my screen will now go to sleep on its own if i let it idle, and the always on display will be "stuck" on whatever was on the screen prior to sleeping. i'll walk away from my phone and come back to a full screen of a text thread i had open, only to tap the screen and it reverts to the lock screen. absolutely bizarre.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you get your shattered screen replaced yet?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

You're bang on here, make no mistake this is the Pixel Propaganda thread. Its sad, really

Jesus christ get a grip. Questioning wild rear end posts that say poo poo like "MY PIXEL SOUNDS HOLLOW WHEN I TAP IT, WORST PHONE EVER, SUCK poo poo PIXAILURES" isn't "pixel propaganda".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think my pixel is a skinwalker. What can I do to get it to reveal itself?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Android Thread - A Safe Space for Pixels

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think it’s telling that, fingerprint scanner aside, the complaints about the Pixel hardware are largely comparing it against the iPhone. Like no poo poo it’s not as good as an Apple product, hardware design and manufacturing is kinda Apple’s thing, but it’s good enough that it’s being legitimately compared to the best.

Ain’t nobody talking about how the Pixel is worse than some shitbox OnePlus or Samsung, and so in real apples to apples terms of Android devices it appears Pixel wins again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wheeee posted:

Ain’t nobody talking about how the Pixel is worse than some shitbox OnePlus or Samsung, and so in real apples to apples terms of Android devices it appears Pixel wins again.

Funny enough (and an example on why I went on the rant earlier), there was a Droid Life post about the leaked OP10P design. The post was only about the OP10P design. I poo poo you not one of the earliest comments was "Why hasn't anyone mentioned that the fingerprint reader on the Pixel 6 sucks?" and someone immediately replied "worse than the fingerprint is the battery life....makes fingerprint look like gods gift to mankind."

All unprompted. So, yeah, I guess in comparison to stuff like that, this is a propaganda thread.

Don't even venture into r/Android. It's all GPU thermals and Exynos sloppy seconds.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 11, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
That tapping thing is just wild to me. I tap my iPhone SE screen hard and it sounds kind of hollow, moreso than the Pixel 6. And that affects nothing and neither one feels cheap in any way lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not peeling the cases off all my phones to compare, but I'd say all my bigger phones have a certain hollow feeling to them to some degree. When I first got my LG Stylo 5 it felt particularly hollow, but I think that comes more from the plastic clamshell back than anything else. I couldn't say how hollow my current Motorola phones feel because they both have cases on which reduces it anyway.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Only time I really noticed my Pixel 6 Pro feeling hollow was when I turned off AOD and saw my own reflection in the screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung literally cements the batteries in their devices after the Note 7 debacle, so it's not really any surprise to me that they feel a bit different. It doesn't mean it's something to replicate though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

I think it’s telling that, fingerprint scanner aside, the complaints about the Pixel hardware are largely comparing it against the iPhone. Like no poo poo it’s not as good as an Apple product, hardware design and manufacturing is kinda Apple’s thing, but it’s good enough that it’s being legitimately compared to the best.

I don't know what you're referring to because I have a OP7T and OP9 and the build quality is excellent, especially the OP9. The hardware isn't the weak point, it's the camera software and the update schedule. The OP9 is absolutely an great phone; that being said, I'd buy a P6 if I was shopping today.

The Pixel hardware quality is usually a few steps behind.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Can someone get a sound level meter and mini Seismograph to conclude which phone screen makes the best drum please.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ get a grip. Questioning wild rear end posts that say poo poo like "MY PIXEL SOUNDS HOLLOW WHEN I TAP IT, WORST PHONE EVER, SUCK poo poo PIXAILURES" isn't "pixel propaganda".

Please don't make up posts that never happened 🙂

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Please don't make up posts that never happened 🙂
i wish i could sticky these words in D&D

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wheeee posted:

I said the pixel 6 pro was a top 3 phone. I liked the S21 Ultra better other than the UI of course but I'm happy with the phone. The people in this thread attacking us for discussing things we like and don't like are the issue, not the phone.

Like I personally do not care that it feels a bit hollow, I was just saying I can feel what the OP felt. And clearly others can too. If anyone sees that as a personal attack, that's on them. Settle down friends, the Pixel is not your identity.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 12, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have never once in my life tapped a phone screen to determine how hollow it was or otherwise.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
As a midrange phone buyer who got an S21U solely because there was a hoop-jumping scheme to get one at a midrange phone price, I have no real complaints other than the size and weight. I'm actually ok with it for use now that I've gotten accustomed to it (also a large hand haver) but it's annoying to carry and doesn't fit in any phone sized pocket/storage slot in any clothing, bags, or vehicles that I own. Very sympathetic to everyone who has talked about going back to the P5 from the P6 and am also hopeful to have a new smaller phone option soon, even if it's more midrange than flagship.

The Samsung UI stuff and things like having two app stores don't really bother me that much - I have managed to disable the worst stuff and the rest I've adapted to. Doesn't mean that other people are wrong to complain about it.

Likewise, all these P6 subjective annoyances are totally appropriate to bring up in this thread and I'm glad people are doing so. I likely won't own one but it's nice to hear from people who do. Their takes are not going to match up with everyone's experiences, but hardware varies and what's important to people varies even more. It's really stupid to treat people like they are trolling or part of some larger internet conspiracy to poo poo on your favorite phone whenever they offer any criticism, even if it's occasionally in the form of exasperated hyperbole.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I said the pixel 6 pro was a top 3 phone. I liked the S21 Ultra better other than the UI of course but I'm happy with the phone. The people in this thread attacking us for discussing things we like and don't like are the issue, not the phone.

Like I personally do not care that it feels a bit hollow, I was just saying I can feel what the OP felt. And clearly others can too. If anyone sees that as a personal attack, that's on them. Settle down friends, the Pixel is not your identity.

Can you stop being so weird about this

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Sorry you had to find out this way Pixel nerds, but the Pixel 6 officially Sucks rear end.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a reason google keeps pushing the "plug your phones together with a cable" to move data as the default? Does that actually work, because for some reason has never worked for me (even on android 12), wireless data copy a-ok though.

I swear thats the biggest thing end up helping non techie friends with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there a reason google keeps pushing the "plug your phones together with a cable" to move data as the default? Does that actually work, because for some reason has never worked for me (even on android 12), wireless data copy a-ok though.

I don't know but have the same experience, always just do the restore from online backup cause that actually works better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I swear thats the biggest thing end up helping non techie friends with.

It usually works for me, I do it because it's fastest. I did it recently for my 6 Pro (migrated from a Pixel 5) and my mom's Pixel 6 (migrated from a 2 XL).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

salt shakeup posted:

Sorry you had to find out this way Pixel nerds, but the Pixel 6 officially Sucks rear end.

Nooooooo

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're the one to talk...
I made a simple observation (in comparison to my old Pixel3 and S20) and it seems to have hurt you personally. And your way of arguing is really not very productive.
I still like the Pixel 6 Pro a lot, despite paying a 50% markup for it I'm very happy with my purchase, but there are a few small things I hope Google improves next year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you stop projecting? There's no need to keep attacking posters.