Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SoFi earnings looking good at first glance

Edit: just missed the magic number of 3 million members this quarter, beat earnings

EPS -0.05 vs projected eps -0.11-0.14

I guess we'll find out more about bank charter in 45 min

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I bought the bottom of the SOFI dip this afternoon. a total fluke I will probably never repeat

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

FistEnergy posted:

I bought the bottom of the SOFI dip this afternoon. a total fluke I will probably never repeat
I doubled my position in late afternoon. Long as the AH bump sticks around should be a very good Thursday. My limit sells are in to try and take some of the sting out of the rest of today's positions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Heh... I cleared out my RH account by yolo-ing it on 2DTE Sofi $22 calls

Let's go baby

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No bank charter

Roll up options to 4/22 abort abort

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
So Rivian is now the ...fourth? biggest automotive company in the world by market cap?

Cool, cool, this all feels very normal

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

New Found Power posted:

So Rivian is now the ...fourth? biggest automotive company in the world by market cap?

Cool, cool, this all feels very normal

Looks like #6: https://companiesmarketcap.com/automakers/largest-automakers-by-market-cap/, but yea

TSLA of course around as large as 2-10 combined

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
TSLA is an ongoing reminder that the market is not and has never been rational, and valuation is 10% fundamentals and 90% hype.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I want to see it as "market cap per cars built each year" for extra lols

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Hadlock posted:

No bank charter

Roll up options to 4/22 abort abort
Denied or just not mentioned?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Something along the lines of "we're doing this the right way, we don't want to take any shortcuts" and then some positive comments about how smoothly and professional it's going

If you want to use LC as a model, their bank charter was approved a couple days before Christmas and then saw a big bump there, right before the end of the year

Revenue from the bc won't be announced until the Q4 earnings call, which will happen days after the super bowl in February, which is why I say to roll up to April, rather than January

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Imagine believing in the efficient market hypothesis

Lmao

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Imagine believing in the efficient market hypothesis

Lmao

even the living emperor of bogleheads, Rick Ferri of the "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast, poster on bogleheads.org and passive total market index fund enthusiast ( https://core-4.com/portfolios/ ), thinks the efficient market hypothesis justification is bullshit:

https://twitter.com/Rick_Ferri/status/1413625319215489029?s=20

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Bought some ZM 215p that expire 11/26 as an earnings play. It seems like a lot of the former Covid/lockdown plays are cratering with horrible guidance and ZM itself appears to be in some kind of death spiral. Up a little under a 100% right now and wondering what others think. Completely idiotic play?

Harry fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 11, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Something along the lines of "we're doing this the right way, we don't want to take any shortcuts" and then some positive comments about how smoothly and professional it's going

Have a lot going on today

I think what's happening here is the CEO Noto and a board member of golden Pacific bancorp have gotten into a dick measuring contest. The bank was aquired as a way to apply directly for a national bank charter and squeeze the time down from 4 years to 1.

The board member of the aquired bank found some technicality in the bank aquisition, something like his shares were undervalued by $0.45/share and sure seems like he's holding out for a $5 million settlement to make his nuisance suit go away

Presumably the OCC (federal bank regulator) isn't too keen on granting a new license until the ownership of the bank is settled. Noto could just buy him out but I guess loving up my calls is more important than paying a sad old man's ransom

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

pmchem posted:

even the living emperor of bogleheads, Rick Ferri of the "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast, poster on bogleheads.org and passive total market index fund enthusiast ( https://core-4.com/portfolios/ ), thinks the efficient market hypothesis justification is bullshit:

https://twitter.com/Rick_Ferri/status/1413625319215489029?s=20

I mean he is explicitly saying that:
a. investing skill exists
b. being an active manger is hard, finding a good active manager is hard, and paying active managers who are good is expensive
with the conclusion that:
c. Active management underperforms on a risk adjusted basis

Which I don't take to mean anything about "efficient markets don't exist", but that amateurs in the market who do this part time are at a disadvantage on this relative to people who do this for a living.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

lol I just realized I bought a bunch of COIN and RBLX a few weeks ago. This is why I don't buy stocks; I completely forgot I bought it and probably missed a high point sale. Who has time for this?

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

downout posted:

lol I just realized I bought a bunch of COIN and RBLX a few weeks ago. This is why I don't buy stocks; I completely forgot I bought it and probably missed a high point sale. Who has time for this?

Everyone making more from this than their day jobs

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Frequent Handies posted:

Everyone making more from this than their day jobs

Wait, you can make money from this?!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Bape Culture posted:

Wait, you can make money from this?!

Tell that to the guy who YOLO’d his life savings into CRTX hours before it dumped

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Tell that to the guy who YOLO’d his life savings into CRTX hours before it dumped

Well the guy he bought from did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I went to a bars open mic stand up m last night and this super obvious homeless dude got up and started talking stocks, GME, averaging down and laughing at those chasing losses as he tries to catch the knife. I’m upset he didn’t give his hot picks during his set.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

TSLA is an ongoing reminder that the market is not and has never been rational, and valuation is 10% fundamentals and 90% hype.

And forward looking anticipation is a big part of that hype. Also, despite the panic selling with inflation news, there's really still no alternative that I see, so I would think current market conditions are contributing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I went to a bars open mic stand up m last night and this super obvious homeless dude got up and started talking stocks, GME, averaging down and laughing at those chasing losses as he tries to catch the knife. I’m upset he didn’t give his hot picks during his set.

Stock jokes in public, wow. I mean I once played Jackbox with your guys and it was hilarious with tickers for words but everyone was in on the joke.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
:rip: PSFE

This aged rather badly:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

:rip: PSFE

This aged rather badly:
Time to gamble and grab some LEAPS?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Put in for 500 shares of BLZE on robinhood, got 0.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

ranbo das posted:

The lesson you should learn is Robinhood sucks and you should NOT be using them for anything

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Out of SOFI for now. That was fun. Glad I doubled down yesterday.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

I mean he is explicitly saying that:
a. investing skill exists
b. being an active manger is hard, finding a good active manager is hard, and paying active managers who are good is expensive
with the conclusion that:
c. Active management underperforms on a risk adjusted basis

Which I don't take to mean anything about "efficient markets don't exist", but that amateurs in the market who do this part time are at a disadvantage on this relative to people who do this for a living.
People trading small accounts have some major inherent advantages--liquidity is almost never a problem and there are a lot of opportunities to trade short timeframes that are simply ignored by a lot of big players with large AUM (since they simply have to trade much large positions and they can't get good prices on low timeframes, they push the price too much). High frequency algos trade on super small timeframes for the most part. So there's a sweet spot that non-pro traders can exploit.

The caveat, of course, is that to be any good you have to devote a lot of time and effort to finding an edge that occurs frequently enough (1-2 times a day at least) and learning how to execute that edge with proper risk management. Easier said than done. Most people won't ever find a real edge, and of those who do, many aren't able to execute it with proper risk management.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's Table SIX time baby

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
God drat SoFi and Uranium (LEU). I fumbled yesterday a bit, especially given I knew it was gonna be bloody with inflation, but still up nicely off those 2.

Sold my 1 share of RIVN for small gains, too irrational for me. @$160 I think TQQQ is still an okay buy-in price, expect it to swing up towards xmas before faltering into the new year. Expect a late Q1 split again in '22.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

ranbo das posted:

Yah me too, I'm guessing either their ipo interest list is *massive* or they got very few shares to hand out. Maybe both.

I know a guy who did some work for backblaze (and is getting shares today, hah), and he is very impressed. I hate buying on IPO day, but definitely a company to watch out for.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Out of SOFI for now. That was fun. Glad I doubled down yesterday.

I'm sticking with my 19.99 position, hoping for bank charter in the next 3-6 months

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I took all my 22-22.5-23 11/12 calls and rolled them up to $25c 1/2024

I'm up another 15% YoY since SoFi's recent peak on Nov 4 :toot:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DWAC slipping while everyone else parties, dollar dollar bill y'all :cheers:

java
May 7, 2005

CRTX took another nose-dive today. Any idea what triggered it?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

java posted:

CRTX took another nose-dive today. Any idea what triggered it?

I guess the table six presentation at the conference disappointed. Looks like it started off well, then went off a cliff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baddog posted:

I guess the table six presentation at the conference disappointed. Looks like it started off well, then went off a cliff.

did anyone take notes? What sentence set this sell off, did anyone shuffle to a cellphone to slam sell while sitting there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

pixaal posted:

did anyone take notes? What sentence set this sell off, did anyone shuffle to a cellphone to slam sell while sitting there?

"Our poo poo doesn't work now but we expect it to in the future. The future poo poo is the good poo poo"