Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could spent that exact amount of money on a machine actually designed to play games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could spent that exact amount of money on a machine actually designed to play games

you can’t even get a series X

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

you can’t even get a series X

I'm playing one right now :hehe:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm playing one right now :hehe:

how much extra did you pay the scalper?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

how much extra did you pay the scalper?

Nothing, I bought it in a shop new

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
IDK trying to play video games on a Mac really seems like you would be using the device in a way contrary to the Apple product designers' intent. And therefore would be Using It Wrong

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

If I were into console gaming I wouldn’t be bothering with any of this poo poo, lmao

I’d rather gently caress around trying to get an actual good game to work than spend any time playing trash like Breath or the Wild, for example

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm still salty about Microsoft buying Bungie in order to kill the G4 gaming baby in the crib.

Long after I've forgiven them for every other thing I was mad about them for in the 90s, that one will always get me

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

forbidden dialectics posted:

playing trash like Breath or the Wild, for example

Woah woah woah! Mods?!

Things getting out of hand in here now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Data Graham posted:

I'm still salty about Microsoft buying Bungie in order to kill the G4 gaming baby in the crib.

Long after I've forgiven them for every other thing I was mad about them for in the 90s, that one will always get me

I still remember visiting the Bungie booth at MacWorld Expo. Feels like an alternate history now. :911:

gregday
May 23, 2003

After claiming ~8 hours for Migration Assistant to finish, it suddenly wrapped up after a total running time of around 5 hours. I did have a lot of git repos and homebrew stuff, as well as about 90GB music and 150GB video.

I am probably just scarred by things like this never working in the bad old days, but I am beyond impressed with Migration Assistant. Not just accounts, apps, docs, and settings all moved, but also all the fiddly Unix poo poo I’ve tweaked over the years. Major hats off to the team at Apple that seriously cares about making upgrading smooth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I still remember visiting the Bungie booth at MacWorld Expo. Feels like an alternate history now. :911:

Halo looked so fun and boundless in those early demos

Then it came out and oh it's just another Doom shooter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s nothing like doom

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

those pesky doom clones!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Data Graham posted:

????

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno I played it later just to see what the deal was and it sure seemed a lot like Doom to me, except you get cars.

I was expecting it to have flying machines, a Zelda-like 3D world, RPG elements, huge explorable/discoverable landscapes, all the stuff the demos showed off...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My god lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Data Graham posted:

I was excited for it and one of my kid cousins had it on an Xbox

loving sucked plus you have to use a stupid console controller? I'll go back to Quake III Arena :wotwot:

Same plebes that thought Goldeneye was the greatest thing ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It’s not entirely their fault, Steve wasn’t particularly invested in that plan anyway

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I like Halo, but the early preview stuff suggested a much more ambitious and unique game.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

None of the big 3 consoles need to be bought from scalpers anymore unless you absolutely need one in a week. There aren't enough that you can just walk into a store on any given day and pick one up yet, but out of the dozen or so gamers I still keep in touch with IRL, all who wanted a PS5 or Series X got one in store or online at retail price, and most were late last year or early this year just by paying attention to discords and websites that show inventories and restocks. It's been way easier than finding a decent desktop GPU in stock. I've even had one person offer to pick up a PS5 for me when they saw one in store, and declined because I feel pretty covered between my PC and switch.

At least that's how it's been. With the holidays upon us it might get hard again until next year. Anyway, if you care at all about gaming, putting $500 into a console is a way better investment than $500 into a GPU for your MacBook for most people. I'm sure there are exceptions -- like if all you play is World of Warcraft or FF14, then the MacBook upgrade is better than getting a console.

forbidden dialectics posted:

trash like Breath or the Wild

:mods:

(Although I'm guilty myself of finding Halo underwhelming, but I think that's mostly because I was playing PC shooters back in the Halo heyday and didn't have an original Xbox, so I didn't play Halo until many years after it was relevant. I probably would've loved it if I hadn't already been so deep down the Half-Life & mods rabbit hole.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yay my M1 Pro 14 incher shipped with arrival tomorrow

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

I ordered the 16" M1 Max 32G / 1TB a few hours after they went on sale, and it's been processing this whole time. The expected arrival changed from Nov 9 - 16 to now Nov 12 - 19. In this time, other people I know have ordered a new macbook pro and already gotten it. What gives?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Rickshaw posted:

I ordered the 16" M1 Max 32G / 1TB a few hours after they went on sale, and it's been processing this whole time. The expected arrival changed from Nov 9 - 16 to now Nov 12 - 19. In this time, other people I know have ordered a new macbook pro and already gotten it. What gives?

I would imagine that is the most sought after 16". I have the 16GB /512SSD and I'm leaning towards returning it for the model you are waiting for.

16GB of shared memory does not appear to be enough, even for just a workload of Chrome and Outlook. Memory pressure sits at yellow which is beyond frustrating on a brand new machine.

e: this appears to be without a memory leak on any system functions

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Rickshaw posted:

If you have a Micro Center nearby you might be able to get one that's in stock. I walked into mine (Paterson NJ) on Sunday and walked out with that laptop SKU in 15 minutes.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
On "will Macs ever be decent for games" - well, likely yes - as more and more of Apple's mid/low-end (cough) products ship with decent GPU's, it definitely will - but this is a process that will take years.

That's provided Apple also doesn't ship an OS update that bricks a swath of them, as they haven't shown to really care too much about it in the past. Advice is the same now as it ever was if you're a Mac user - get a console.

Apple does have some big advantages over the PC space in shipping machines with powerful integrated GPU's though. The most obvious one is that they're the only source - you're getting it whether you're using it or not. That's an issue for say, AMD ever releasing a Ryzen with expensive HBM or some kind of integrated DDR5 over a wide bus with a powerful GPU that can take advantage of it - you have to have a market that actually wants it vs. the price of getting a CPU without it and just purchasing a discrete GPU - they're sell 10X as many CPU's without expensive ram to the office market. I've always wanted a complete SOC solution from AMD/Intel to take over the low/midrange GPU market but it's a tough sell currently.

But another big advantage is that Apple can actually leverage that GPU in so many applications beyond games, photo editing, video production etc show large performance increases between M1/Pro/Max just based on the GPU. Apple actually being the one to supply the most popular software for these kinds of tasks means you're not beholden for developers to eventually support it or not. This is where a GPU SOC from Amd/Intel could actually make some headway, with apps that actually take advantage of that tight CPU/GPU integration outside of games - but would most apps really take advantage of it?

And finally, it's viable for laptops as Apple's architecture actually allows it to run for more than 2 hours using the GPU.

So for example, with the M2 I expect its CPU performance to barely differ over the M1, but I expect GPU cores to double at least. That's 10+ million 'consumer' class Mac laptops being sold in 2022 with probably ~1060 level performance, not counting all the M1 Pro's and perhaps Mac Mini revisions. There's just no way a consistent, single architecture that offers ~PS4/Pro/PS5 (...?) level performance installed in millions of machines a year won't eventually attract more ports.

But key...eventually. Insane to spend this much on an M1 Pro/Max unless gaming is an afterthought.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Bad Purchase posted:

None of the big 3 consoles need to be bought from scalpers anymore unless you absolutely need one in a week. There aren't enough that you can just walk into a store on any given day and pick one up yet, but out of the dozen or so gamers I still keep in touch with IRL, all who wanted a PS5 or Series X got one in store or online at retail price, and most were late last year or early this year just by paying attention to discords and websites that show inventories and restocks. It's been way easier than finding a decent desktop GPU in stock. I've even had one person offer to pick up a PS5 for me when they saw one in store, and declined because I feel pretty covered between my PC and switch.

Yeah it's easy to see by just comparing Ebay prices. Consoles go for ~50% more for scalpers over MSRP. PC GPU's for 100-150%+ over MSRP. If the consoles were as hard to get as PC GPU's they would also have that huge price discrepancy.

It doesn't matter if you wait to hear when Newegg gets in a shipment and hit that order button the moment they're in stock, you're not paying MRSP for PC GPU's no matter how quick you're on the draw. It's a hassle but you can definitely get an SX/PS5 at msrp.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Well after less than a week with my 8GB/512GB Mac Mini, I’m returning it cause I ordered a 16GB/1TB refurb from Apple.

It’s a great computer. Figured a couple hundred more bucks is worth it for a while.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My 14" M1 Max arrived yesterday, and holy poo poo is it an awesome machine. Perfect size (for me), the screen is great, and it's a nice, well-built, solid-feeling machine. Keyboard feels great and far better than the 13" M1 MBP before it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Same just got my 14" 10c/14c 32GB and its awesome, I was using my work M1 as my only laptop and it sucked just seeing the teams icon after hours. Somehow after 15+ years of IT this the first laptop I've bought for myself.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Data Graham posted:

Halo changed a lot during development, going from RTS to TPS and finally settling on FPS.
But thats a topic for Games and not Mac Hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9vO_gRzoI

Data Graham posted:

I dunno I played it later just to see what the deal was and it sure seemed a lot like Doom to me, except you get cars.

I was expecting it to have flying machines, a Zelda-like 3D world, RPG elements, huge explorable/discoverable landscapes, all the stuff the demos showed off...
I uhh - what?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemon King posted:

I uhh - what?

I don't know, I'm not up on game language/terminology. But the video you posted seems to confirm that I'm at least not just hallucinating 20+ year old memories.

e: yeah so like this is more like what I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HYDC8H1h4

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 11, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Data Graham posted:

I don't know, I'm not up on game language/terminology. But the video you posted seems to confirm that I'm at least not just hallucinating 20+ year old memories.

Halo is one of the most influential first person shooters to have ever been made.

I really don't know how you can call it a doom clone.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

to be fair doom is also one of the most influential shooters ever made, even more influential than halo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I can never get too angry at people who cling to the GAMES ON MAC hope. It was me long ago right after the intel switch, wishing for some kind of “xMac” tower with easily swapped and broadly available GPUs at a reasonable price.

It will never happen and it sucks, but it takes a long time to give up on that dream.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nitrousoxide posted:

Halo is one of the most influential first person shooters to have ever been made.

I really don't know how you can call it a doom clone.

Well, because I had a friend play through the whole thing so I could see what it was all about, and it just seemed like a long series of first-person "run through corridors shooting things" episodes, punctuated by video segments or whatever they're called. Aside from those segments and the cars, the biggest difference from Doom (or Marathon, really) seemed to be that it was using 3D models instead of sprites.

I thought there'd be all this, like, strategy and team stuff and person-vs-person melee fighting against characters with personalities. And exterior views of your guy doing things, not all just interior helmet-cam. Maybe there's a bunch of extra levels/areas he didn't go to? It seemed pretty linear from what I saw.

e: yeah watching a playthrough right now, and this looks exactly like how I remember it. I'm not saying it's a Doom clone, just that it's basically the same concept with better technology and execution as you'd expect from years later, and nothing like what the demo seemed to promise (i.e. not a "first-person shooter" which I was sick to death of by that point).

e2: ahh right, of course it was a Stevenote (1999) that I was remembering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZ2yvWl9nQ

Like, I thought this was what the gameplay was going to be like.

... That means I'm stupid, doesn't it? I knew it.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 11, 2021

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

AlternateAccount posted:

I can never get too angry at people who cling to the GAMES ON MAC hope. It was me long ago right after the intel switch, wishing for some kind of “xMac” tower with easily swapped and broadly available GPUs at a reasonable price.

It will never happen and it sucks, but it takes a long time to give up on that dream.

AFAIK the only thread of hope for people that want an Apple Game Console / Apple Gaming in general is if this rumor/leak actually comes to fruition in some form: https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/apple-leak-claims-a-nintendo-switch-style-games-console-is-coming-but-i-dont-believe-it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lemon King posted:

I uhh - what?

Every game is a DOOM if it has guns in it

Just like how every console is a Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I got my shipping notice and it says it will be here in 11 days and that’s it’s coming express. :raise:

It’s not really going to take that long is it?