Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm sure someone's heavily breaking down mechanics, but for one data point I can confirm that Berserkers attack random targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIII had the best job system

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lv5 Death is a pain to get but an absolute godsend. For whatever playrthough you need a blue mage at exactly at Lv15 in the library and none of the characters. Unlike III its strongly recommended to let characters go out of sync.

What's really funny is that the leveling curve is such that, unless you've been grinding a lot, you'll be at or close to level 15 when you get to the library. Almost as if that was deliberate :evilbuddy:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's not a FFV run if you don't roll into the library at all lv15 and immediately get death'd.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they assume your levels are gonna be slightly off cause of deaths but yeah, that’s one of the nastiest tricks in the series to set you up perfectly to get instawiped.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

Did they make this game easier or was I just this terribly bad as a child? I feel like I remember losing to the first boss and I just beat it with 6 attacks.

If it's like FFIV they decreased the encounter rate and upped the gold and XP rates to compensate, so if you spend any time exploring around or going down the wrong path you'll level faster that you expect. I think it feels pretty good even though it's easier, it's not so much easier the game becomes a snooze.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
There is a lot of love paid to FF5 , so many nice subtle little artistic touches done with the spritework.

The soundtrack is killer as I expected, and I've heard choral pieces to at least 3 tracks and i'm in the ronkan ruins.

6 is probably going to be nuts with how progressively better each remaster has felt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
in retrospect as remarkably bold a departure from the rest of the series as it was, the commercial failure of ff6 pixel remaster can probably be attributed to the crunkcore, noise, and glitch hop-inspired soundtrack

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hogama posted:

in retrospect as remarkably bold a departure from the rest of the series as it was, the commercial failure of ff6 pixel remaster can probably be attributed to the crunkcore, noise, and glitch hop-inspired soundtrack

You joke, but there are certainly bits here and there where that would actually kinda fit. Zozo and Vector come to mind

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Devil's Lab rendition is going to be sick.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Does anyone know if the version of FF7 that you can play on Xbox uses the original localization or a different one? And if it’s different how different from the original ps1 localization?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Epi Lepi posted:

Does anyone know if the version of FF7 that you can play on Xbox uses the original localization or a different one? And if it’s different how different from the original ps1 localization?

I'm pretty sure there's only ever been one translation of FF7 and it's the this guy are sick one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc the PC version is supposed to be slightly modified to remove a handful of iconic lines like that but they don’t do the obvious thing of just retranslating it. Which kinda seems important with (FF7 Remake spoilers)the weird timeline fuckery, to better note differences between the original/remake without a guide but what do I know? It’s not like you couldn’t sell “new translation” as a selling point even if the original functions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every digital copy of FF7 that isn't emulated from a PS1 ROM (I think that is everybody but Sony platforms, and maybe only PS3?) is based on the PC port which had grammar corrections but no major retranslation. The grammar corrected script is flat out better even if you miss this guy are sick. Because it's just small useful grammar corrections.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
What I wanna know is if 5PR is any good for the Job Fiesta or if its lame like the mibile port

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pixel remaster neo-exdeath isn’t as good as sokken’s version but lets be honest it was never going to be

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

an actual dog posted:

If it's like FFIV they decreased the encounter rate and upped the gold and XP rates to compensate, so if you spend any time exploring around or going down the wrong path you'll level faster that you expect. I think it feels pretty good even though it's easier, it's not so much easier the game becomes a snooze.

As far as I can tell the encounter rates and XP curve seem unchanged in FF5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrightWing posted:

What I wanna know is if 5PR is any good for the Job Fiesta or if its lame like the mibile port

Out of curiosity, what's lame about the mobile port aside from the awful graphics and UI? Were there mechanics changes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, what's lame about the mobile port aside from the awful graphics and UI? Were there mechanics changes?

There were changes to some of the logic that made the mobile port pretty bad for Fiesta-ing, but I can't remember off the top of my head what they were.

e: found this in an old Fiesta thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/8l29r7/differences_between_mobile_iosandroidsteam_and/

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The assasination of the noble Muscle Wizard by the coward Squeenicks for one

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The stealing formula still sucks like the original. I don't know why this bear is holding a weak, one-of-a-kind spear but I want it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The stealing formula still sucks like the original. I don't know why this bear is holding a weak, one-of-a-kind spear but I want it.
that bear's grandfather was a soldier. It's a family heirloom.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
FF5 is my first pixel remaster and I love it. All this super streamlined gameplay is how all these old RPGs should have been in the first place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF5 is definitely stingier than the other games. You don't level up fast, you don't make money easily, and you don't learn new moves quickly barring auto-battle. It can siort of feel like you hit a wall in the second world.

Enemies are way more aggressive and puzzle-like and your own HP goes down quick.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

zedprime posted:

Every digital copy of FF7 that isn't emulated from a PS1 ROM (I think that is everybody but Sony platforms, and maybe only PS3?) is based on the PC port which had grammar corrections but no major retranslation. The grammar corrected script is flat out better even if you miss this guy are sick. Because it's just small useful grammar corrections.

This isn't entirely true, there are some sections that were entirely retranslated or at least rewritten. The one that stuck out to me the most is the conversation outside the Honeybee Inn when you're trying to get inside to get the underwear for the disguise. The PS1 version has this exchange:

Cloud: Hmm, that's how you'll fool them.
Aeris: Hmm, so that's how you fooled them.

Which makes no sense. But in the PC and later versions it's:

Cloud: Looks like I need to go inside to complete my disguise.
Aeris: Nice excuse.

Which is a bigger change than just correcting grammar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On this topic, I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it, but Tim Rogers (of "very long and idiosyncratic video review" fame) did a series on the translation of the first disc of FF7 back when he worked at Kotaku. He compares the Japanese and English scripts and talks a lot about the different meanings and implications, and the choices made in localization.

This is part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What are the recommended jobs for someone starting out? (FF5PR)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

knight, monk, thief, blue mage, white mage and black mage would be a great place to start

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Harrow posted:

On this topic, I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it, but Tim Rogers (of "very long and idiosyncratic video review" fame) did a series on the translation of the first disc of FF7 back when he worked at Kotaku. He compares the Japanese and English scripts and talks a lot about the different meanings and implications, and the choices made in localization.

This is part one:

Ah man, I watched the first two parts of this series and they finally convinced me to give learning Japanese an honest try. I went at it for a solid four months as well, I should really give it another shot. :smith:

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

This is part one:

This series is really really good!

Having only played some of FF7 and FFX along with getting up to Stormblood in FFXIV in my life I'm contemplating doing a series runthrough starting from the beginning since I know I could really get into the FF games I've just never given them enough time.

Got the pixel remasters ready so as long as the GTA collection on Switch doesn't distract me too hard (it will lol) is it all good to just start with the default set of characters in FF1? Not trying to minmax or anything just want to have a good time :D

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Experiment! That's the heart of FFV. If a team isn't working out switch out the jobs and try again.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

So far I started out with Knight, Monk, White Mage, and Blue/Black depending on the spells I needed. Haven't leveled thief yet, but I definitely want to keep that one up for stealing things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bovis posted:

Got the pixel remasters ready so as long as the GTA collection on Switch doesn't distract me too hard (it will lol) is it all good to just start with the default set of characters in FF1? Not trying to minmax or anything just want to have a good time :D

I’d recommend having a White Mage in the pixel remaster but otherwise that’s a perfectly good party. There’s exactly one boss where having full group healing will be a huge help and only White Mage can provide that in any meaningful amount.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The funnest job in FF5 is definitely blue mage but only if you get a good amount of spells.

The most powerful job is anything with !mix

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I really recommend playing under Four Job Fiesta rules, it’s the only way I could get through FF5 and contain my need to grind abilities.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I give myself an optional reroll after the big bridge otherwise I, too, get a bit bored

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
So far 4 monks has absolutely devastated everything.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zurtilik posted:

So far 4 monks has absolutely devastated everything.

Hey, just like Final Fantasy Tactics!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

four white mages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

four white mages

It'll never work.