Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope the best generals are old defensive minded cowards, who will sit in their trenches and never order a charge.
This is a popular misunderstanding of the Great War. Attacking armies usually suffered less casualties then the defenders. It's just that they were logistically incapable of pushing the attack home, and very vulnerable to counter attack.

https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is a popular misunderstanding of the Great War. Attacking armies usually suffered less casualties then the defenders. It's just that they were logistically incapable of pushing the attack home, and very vulnerable to counter attack.

https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/

We've been talking about that article for the last page :p

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

We've been talking about that article for the last page :p

Well, I was behind. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, I was behind. :colbert:

Are you a WW1 general

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The problem is that the article has only been posted twice, we need to post it eleven times. Ideally in a row.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that the article has only been posted twice, we need to post it eleven times. Ideally in a row.

no save that for the followup on why cadorna was that bad

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Where is the DD, wiz?!? I’m jonesing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

BBJoey posted:

i don't think there's that much to say about the straights

in Victorian times? oh my, there is a lot going on there. Especially in England

just wait until you research "Psychoanalysis" and see what the pops spew out!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

e: oops

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea could you please upload the DD now so I can read it before work and don't have to wait until 11 pm

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

If we just post the ACOUP article one more time we'll break through poster front line, come on lads

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

DaysBefore posted:

If we just post the ACOUP article one more time we'll break through poster front line, come on lads

No, I think it's time to try something new. Posting a slightly different ACOUP article! That will surely break the stalemate

https://acoup.blog/2021/09/24/collections-no-mans-land-part-ii-breaking-the-stalemate/

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The one about Cadorna sucking feels like it would go really well with the Generals DD?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1458842204949172236?s=20

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Dev diary sounds good. I like how they are presenting fronts, I like how you will still have battles and see fronts advance. I think this will assuage some who were worried that things would get too abstract.

I’m thinking of future modding capabilities and wonder if you can have triggered traits for leaders/generals etc. eg you just define the trait and its required conditions and it gets automatically applied to any leader in the game that qualifies. Eg all US generals get a “manifest destiny” trait or every Russian Tsarist general gets a “dangerously incompetent” trait.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

No more on map units confirmed!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My eyes glazed over a bit from that to be honest, but it should make a lot more sense once I see it in action.

I liked the implication that having bigger fronts to defend is a very real issue for bigger nations, and that even if a small nation is massively outnumbered they can potentially launch offensives through a front because of how dispersed the defense is.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Agean90 posted:

No more on map units confirmed!

Technically Iachek said they're going to talk about wartime graphics later on but yeah, that's more surprising than the loss of tactical control for me. Cultural unit skins are such an easy DLC model, never imagined they'd abandon that

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

It could just be on map units just haven't been implemented yet but are still planned

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

It could just be on map units just haven't been implemented yet but are still planned

Yeah pretty sure it will be this, there'll be little dudes on either side of the front shooting same as always, you just won't be able to click on them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I like that professional army is just made via the same kind of production buildings as regular economy stuff, complete with a choice of production methods... Makes it feel closer tied to the economic side of the game beyond some upkeep on a separate screen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My biggest takeaway here is that either they're really serious about war not being particularly important or the game is significantly further from release than I was expecting. Everything in that DD looks like a very early implementation.

With that said, it all looks fine. I hope that there's a bit more to military control / direction than just flicking a switch to attack or defend (being able to set priority targets seems kind of required for the player to have any kind of agency) but the overall concept is fairly similar to what I was thinking.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure they've been saying it's years out from release for awhile

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

RabidWeasel posted:

My biggest takeaway here is that either they're really serious about war not being particularly important or the game is significantly further from release than I was expecting. Everything in that DD looks like a very early implementation.

With that said, it all looks fine. I hope that there's a bit more to military control / direction than just flicking a switch to attack or defend (being able to set priority targets seems kind of required for the player to have any kind of agency) but the overall concept is fairly similar to what I was thinking.

The dev diary mentions that you can set priority targets via wargoals, and the generals will focus on capturing those areas

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Fronts were one of my favorite things in HoI3 and I am happy to see them in Vicky as well well. I just hope that the AI is good enough (but not too good) to handle them autonomously.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I pretty amped for it. In Victoria III, you never have to play hide-and-seek with some AI stack or keep track of dozens of stacks on multiple fronts, you just keep track of making sure you have the money and goods to supply your troops and who your generals are and hope you're not keeping some idiot moron around for political expediency when the poo poo hits the fan.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One thing I'm not sure how it will work - how will a front be created if you're fighting someone non-adjacent? Or is war only possible between adjacent countries?

Like where will UK's fronts be? Say they're attacking France. On the coast?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

canepazzo posted:

One thing I'm not sure how it will work - how will a front be created if you're fighting someone non-adjacent? Or is war only possible between adjacent countries?

These seem to cover it, definitely looks like you would either need a naval invasion or to ally with someone adjacent.

lachek posted:

If there's a war between, say, Iceland and Britain, (at least) one Front would have to be created via a Naval Invasion, which I'll cover next week.

lachek posted:

"Mobilization" as a term in Victoria 3 covers everything involved in getting Battalions readied and organized under the command of a General. So in your situation, if you have built some Barracks in a colony and recruited a General to lead them, you can choose to Mobilize only that General if you wish. Despite your colony probably having low Infrastructure, since you're not mobilizing very many troops they will probably not take too long to get ready, and since the General is right next to the Front it won't take him long to travel there to advance it.

On the other hand if your standing army was in London, you might have a much larger force under a more experienced General, but it will take him considerable time to travel to the Front by your colony. There's also the issue of naval supply to consider in that case. So it can definitely be beneficial to maintain a local colonial force to defend your colony if tensions run high there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

canepazzo posted:

They'll probably cover that next week in the naval diary. Probably you can use your navy to create a front with a country you share a sea connection with.

efb

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Cheers, that makes sense. What about landlocked countries though?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

canepazzo posted:

You'll need to build a canal if you want to perform a naval invasion.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You'll need to build a canal if you want to perform a naval invasion.

Period appropriate and strait to the point, I love it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The number of provinces you capture being dependent on so many things does make it fairly clear why they increased the province count. So a terrible victory can win 1 province and some spectacular win can get a whole bunch at once. And there's actual momentum that can properly model a grueling back and forth between countries.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Kaza42 posted:

The dev diary mentions that you can set priority targets via wargoals, and the generals will focus on capturing those areas

War goals and military objectives shouldn't necessarily be the same though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

canepazzo posted:

If you can't actually take part in a war, then you shouldn't get a say in the diplomatic play leading to war. I suppose you could unlock it by demanding access through another country, saying you will fight for your right to fight, but otherwise I'm not seeing why it should be a real possibility. Having a bunch of countries with little to no ability to participate in a war jumping in anyway is not something they should actively encourage.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you can't actually take part in a war, then you shouldn't get a say in the diplomatic play leading to war. I suppose you could unlock it by demanding access through another country, saying you will fight for your right to fight, but otherwise I'm not seeing why it should be a real possibility. Having a bunch of countries with little to no ability to participate in a war jumping in anyway is not something they should actively encourage.

Well, if you're somehow a powerful, but landlocked nation, you can violate neutrality to get your troops to where they need to be.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Good luck being taken seriously on the world stage without boats you can paint and repaint every week, never firing a shot for fear of ruining your pristine paintjob, dumping the practice ammo the admiralty sent you overboard

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amazing! I feel like a huge weight is being lifted at the prospect of a future where I don't have to click little guys and right click where I want them to go. I'll finally have people to do that for me, like a real country's immortal gestalt!

canepazzo posted:

Probably the same thing that would happen between two landlocked countries in older games and in real life. Not a lot. What would you expect to happen?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm still not convinced about the fronts system but the generals sound like everything I had hoped for. Sure, you could get rid of that useless idiot, but then you've pissed off his friends and family in the Annoying Idiots interest group, and they have power to make things more difficult for you. Sure, you could promote that skilled, charismatic general, but he's from the Slaveholding Jerks interest group and if you promote him you'll make freeing the slaves, whether through peaceful reforms or violent revolution, more difficult. Is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I'm very happy to see a layer of politicking around generals