Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

This is 95% of journalism now, yes

That's unfair, at least 50% of journalism is rewording press releases they get sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

Do NI unionists also freak out about Gaelic road signs or is that just a :scotland: obsession?

they've been angry about the very affrontery of the idea :bahgawd: long before it was a thing in scotland, yeah

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Irish Language Act is about forcing everyone to speak Irish. All the time. They'll come into your house and change your TV with the built in DVD player to Irish and next thing they'll change all the flags.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Do NI unionists also freak out about Gaelic road signs or is that just a :scotland: obsession?

You are talking about the peeps that have delayed the Irish Language Act that the UK and Ireland agreed to back in 2006.

Also I think I mentioned this here before, but when I was working for the NI govt and was up in around Stormont when the Assembly was being set up in 1998, the rumor was Ian Paisley Jr tried to get Sprite/7-UP banned from the Stormont cafeteria because they had green, white, and gold(yellow) colours on their cans.
gently caress knows if its true, but it sounds like it would be natural in NI.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Does anyone here know much about legal stuff, or where I can ask? Having some pretty severe anxiety around contracting a builder and not sure I can think straight because of it.

Essentially, we're having our basement waterproofed so a couple of months ago my wife got in touch with a few places, had a few quotations and agreed work with someone about three weeks ago to start this coming Monday. He was over on Wednesday doing a final look around for stuff like where he could park his van etc. and we had a few questions for him, one of which was about payment - he wanted 75% up front and the rest on completion. That's the point where I start to panic having I guess finally considered the fact that we're going to be sending literally tens of thousands of a loan we've drawn down to a guy we've met about three times (basement conversions are expensive), and 75% seems like a very steep deposit.

Looking into his company now I find all kinds of dodgy stuff - the company claims to be established in 1985, but I can find no trace of it earlier than July this year, all 6 of the reviews on Yell were created over 2 days, his other company (a plumber) has pictures on it's Facebook ostensibly of it's work that a reverse GIS reveals to be jacked from another company a year ago. So no way do I want to go forward with this work, especially since he only takes BACS for money so I have absolutely no protection. But now I'm worried about pulling out at the last minute, whether this counts as breaking a contract and whether he could take us to a small claims court? We haven't had anything resembling a real contract (and again, heard nothing of payment terms until yesterday) but does just agreeing to the work count as a contract?

Kicking myself for not looking into it earlier, the anxiety feels like it's eating a hole in my stomache, it's causing tension with my wife since I think she thinks I'm blaming her for it and I have no idea what to do. :smith:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

Also I think I mentioned this here before, but when I was working for the NI govt and was up in around Stormont when the Assembly was being set up in 1998, the rumor was Ian Paisley Jr tried to get Sprite/7-UP banned from the Stormont cafeteria because they had green, white, and gold(yellow) colours on their cans.

Unionist brain disease in Scotland causes the regular smashing of green traffic lights in Larkhall and forced a Subway sandwich store to change their signage to black and white.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Maybe he just doesn't like lemonade and is more of an orange man.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They have that as one of the signs of the Apocalypse, they really messed up local government trying to make sure no alternate language signs appeared.

So you are not alone.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Noxville posted:

Does anyone here know much about legal stuff, or where I can ask? Having some pretty severe anxiety around contracting a builder and not sure I can think straight because of it.

Essentially, we're having our basement waterproofed so a couple of months ago my wife got in touch with a few places, had a few quotations and agreed work with someone about three weeks ago to start this coming Monday. He was over on Wednesday doing a final look around for stuff like where he could park his van etc. and we had a few questions for him, one of which was about payment - he wanted 75% up front and the rest on completion. That's the point where I start to panic having I guess finally considered the fact that we're going to be sending literally tens of thousands of a loan we've drawn down to a guy we've met about three times (basement conversions are expensive), and 75% seems like a very steep deposit.

Looking into his company now I find all kinds of dodgy stuff - the company claims to be established in 1985, but I can find no trace of it earlier than July this year, all 6 of the reviews on Yell were created over 2 days, his other company (a plumber) has pictures on it's Facebook ostensibly of it's work that a reverse GIS reveals to be jacked from another company a year ago. So no way do I want to go forward with this work, especially since he only takes BACS for money so I have absolutely no protection. But now I'm worried about pulling out at the last minute, whether this counts as breaking a contract and whether he could take us to a small claims court? We haven't had anything resembling a real contract (and again, heard nothing of payment terms until yesterday) but does just agreeing to the work count as a contract?

Kicking myself for not looking into it earlier, the anxiety feels like it's eating a hole in my stomache, it's causing tension with my wife since I think she thinks I'm blaming her for it and I have no idea what to do. :smith:

a verbal agreement like that is worth the paper it's written on- because there's gently caress all chance he wants to be within a loving mile of a court

claim financial problems are stopping you going ahead so he thinks you are no longer a good mark, bail the gently caress out and walk away

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, if you don't have a contract and you haven't agreed payment terms, there doesn't seem like much they can do. Not agreeing with their terms seems like a good reason not to go ahead. Though you could always offer something more reasonable like 20% up front and see what they say. But if you don't get a good vibe from the place then by all means walk away.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DesperateDan posted:

a verbal agreement like that is worth the paper it's written on- because there's gently caress all chance he wants to be within a loving mile of a court

claim financial problems are stopping you going ahead so he thinks you are no longer a good mark, bail the gently caress out and walk away

Yeah this, just say you were relying on a loan and computer said no.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

Not quite a verbal contract, it was in an email, but yeah before any payment terms had even been mentioned

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Noxville posted:

If you agreed to the works anywhere else other than their office or place of business, then its subject to the usual 14 days cooling off period that you can bail on at any time. If it's longer than that it's a tricky one because it would be pretty trivial for them to demonstrate that you have agreed a scope of works (and a cost?), whether a physical contract is signed or not, and that they've ordered materials for you and turned down work elsewhere. Its likely that in the absence of a deposit having been paid they'd put up a cancellation fee.

Citizens Advice on building work.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Noxville posted:

For comparison, a few years ago we had an extension added to our house and paid nothing to the builders up front. When we did pay, the overall cost was split into three parts and paid at pre-agreed milestones.

Another vote for dodgy.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Dulce et decorum est read by proper ACTOR Chris Eccleston

https://youtu.be/qB4cdRgIcB8

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
How the gently caress did that moron manage to die at 45

e: please quote this when I also die in my 40s lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sloth Life posted:

Dulce et decorum est read by proper ACTOR Chris Eccleston

https://youtu.be/qB4cdRgIcB8

Sean Bean did a good reading of another World War 1 poem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDoon91vZk

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Who, Lowtax? Isn't the chat that he offed himself after being told by a judge that spending almost all of your money doesn't actually mean you don't have to pay child support?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

Who, Lowtax? Isn't the chat that he offed himself after being told by a judge that spending almost all of your money doesn't actually mean you don't have to pay child support?

That's directly from his ex-wife, so I'm assuming it's how it happened

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Sean Bean did a good reading of another World War 1 poem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDoon91vZk

That's nothing, at the London Stadium on Sunday I had the pleasure of hearing Sir Trevor "10 O-Levels and no bookings" Brooking reading In Flanders Fields in the exact same dulcet Essex tones he uses to discuss that rare headed goal against Arsenal in the Cup Final.

Also the applause for the reading drowned out the referee's first whistle for the start of the minute's silence, and when he blew it again to signal the start all of the players - hearing it as a second whistle - assumed the silence was finished and dashed off, starting the crowd cheering and with a strict TV-enforced kickoff time there was nothing the ref could do to get everything sorted out, meaning there was no actual silence. I believe this failure to properly HONOUR ARE BRAVE BOYS will actually cause Kaiser Willhelm to return from the dead and conquer Britain.

Also Harry The Hammer didn't join the players for the silence, shamefully.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Most of the Black and Tans were WW1 veterans.
So I can understand why remembering the same peeps that burned down your house a few years later is a bit of a stretch and never caught on.

Mmm they were WW1 veterans, but almost exclusively British veterans (Black and Tans were Brit squaddies and the Auxiliaries were Brit officers with rare exception iirc). Understandable that Irish soldiers weren't really used to suppress the Irish populace or burn down Irish cities. I'm specifically talking about how the Irish WW1 soldiers all got tarred with that brush, though yeah of course multiple urban and rural guerrilla wars within a single decade obviously hosed up a country that was already shellshocked from the horror of WW1

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Noxville posted:

Not quite a verbal contract, it was in an email, but yeah before any payment terms had even been mentioned

Payment terms are a two way street. Say you will only pay for it on completion, nothing before, and he will likely gently caress off

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Payment terms are a two way street. Say you will only pay for it on completion, nothing before, and he will likely gently caress off

Nah, just tell him to gently caress off, or as others have suggested just lie that the moneys gone. You don't want to invite a situation where this probably-dodgy oval office starts working "on spec" and just knocks a big hole in your wall and fucks off until you pay him 75%.

Basically, if you ever get bad vibes from a contractor prior to starting a job, just bail immediately. Even if they're not out to defraud you, getting big work done is stressful enough that you want someone who is chill, respectful, and communicative to stop you spiralling during the process

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Starmer is a spook right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Understandable that Irish soldiers weren't really used to suppress the Irish populace or burn down Irish cities.
Yeah, that sounds like it would be a terrible idea that would backfire spectacularly.

But also exactly like something that the British Empire would do regardless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
With the death of Richard Kyanka / Queen Elizabeth II, the long-time leader of a community often times seen as a home to a surprising amount of pedophiles / remnants of an empire struggling to find relevance, it is time to understand the past is gone and focus on the future, and what role, if any, an antiquated system of rules and regulations / disgraced comedians should play in it. (Cross out as appropriate.)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mmm they were WW1 veterans, but almost exclusively British veterans (Black and Tans were Brit squaddies and the Auxiliaries were Brit officers with rare exception iirc). Understandable that Irish soldiers weren't really used to suppress the Irish populace or burn down Irish cities. I'm specifically talking about how the Irish WW1 soldiers all got tarred with that brush, though yeah of course multiple urban and rural guerrilla wars within a single decade obviously hosed up a country that was already shellshocked from the horror of WW1

Yes but there's no poppy just for WW1 Irish vets to bum.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

Oh right, I'd only seen a lot of 'we don't know any specifics.' Kinda checks out I guess. Guy might have done bad things and been an rear end, but I'm not going to gloat about someone being so mentally unwell that they commit suicide and leave behind a grieving family.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

With the death of Richard Kyanka / Queen Elizabeth II, the long-time leader of a community often times seen as a home to a surprising amount of pedophiles / remnants of an empire struggling to find relevance, it is time to understand the past is gone and focus on the future, and what role, if any, an antiquated system of rules and regulations / disgraced comedians should play in it. (Cross out as appropriate.)
MoD knew about Prince Aatrek.

Private Speech posted:

Yes but there's no poppy just for WW1 Irish vets to bum.
Sure there is, they were a thing around the centenary. I think Varadkar wore one.

*5 seconds later*

We regret to inform you that the Irish poppy is based on a terror symbol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59242195

quote:

No school dinners if child's debt is 2p, Gwynedd head says

Pupils will not be allowed school meals if they are more than a penny in debt, according to a letter to parents.

The cook at secondary Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle, in Penygroes, Gwynedd, has been "instructed not to give food to any child" if debts are not cleared.

Strategic head teacher Neil Foden's letter said the decision was due to a deficit in the school meals budget.

Gwynedd council said anyone "having difficulty" paying for school meals should get in touch.

Mr Foden's letter said he was "very surprised to learn at the end of the last half term that there was an unexpected deficit in our school meals budget".

"Closer inspection revealed that this was because a handful of pupils had run up debts totalling more than £1,800."

etc

Am reading comments from some to this article posted on FB - some people are finding the online payment system very complicated (eg you have to book each meal separately and can't pay for half a term in advance for example).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look it's simple, the online payment system has to be per meal to correlate with the accounts database, which then cross references with the third party app provider to link the facial recognition scanner to the pupil databases, so that we can feed children, a task that has not previously been achievable by humanity.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Look it's simple, the online payment system has to be per meal to correlate with the accounts database, which then cross references with the third party app provider to link the facial recognition scanner to the pupil databases, so that we can feed children, a task that has not previously been achievable by humanity.

That sounds like the kind of Third Party App Provider with Failing Grayling and Di Doh Harding as the directors.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Noxville posted:

“We’ve decided not to proceed with the work at the minute - thanks for your time.”

That’s it - if (as seems possible) he’s a bit of a conman then anything else is just going to open conversation which he’s probably a lot better at than you.

Even if he starts work without a deposit you could find yourself in a world of pain if he does a poo poo job or just decides after a few days and half a demo job that he actually needs money for x y z.

You don’t owe anything, just knock it on the head.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh right, I'd only seen a lot of 'we don't know any specifics.' Kinda checks out I guess. Guy might have done bad things and been an rear end, but I'm not going to gloat about someone being so mentally unwell that they commit suicide and leave behind a grieving family.

Probably more sighing in relief than grieving

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Red Oktober posted:

“We’ve decided not to proceed with the work at the minute - thanks for your time.”

That’s it - if (as seems possible) he’s a bit of a conman then anything else is just going to open conversation which he’s probably a lot better at than you.

Even if he starts work without a deposit you could find yourself in a world of pain if he does a poo poo job or just decides after a few days and half a demo job that he actually needs money for x y z.

You don’t owe anything, just knock it on the head.

This this this. Just get out ASAP. And make sure to check back in here. if he's a dick about it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Perfect Element posted:

This this this. Just get out ASAP.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like someone meeds to enrol little bobby tables.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

For anyone else wondering - it's fairly grim, so I'll spoiler it:

LadyAmbien posted:

I have been sitting for hours debating whether or not to disclose this, and I feel like it's something I do need to get off of my chest.
Frankly, I'm tried of being quiet. I've mostly had to stay quiet for years about things happening behind the scenes. I've held things inside so long and so hard my chest physically hurt the same way it is now.

I considered not sharing this out of respect for Rich's parents and sister, but after thinking on the incredibly vitriolic wall of text Rich's Mother sent to me this morning, saying upon many other things, that his blood is on my hands, I need to share it to regain some sense of control over what's taken place in the past 48 hours.

Yesterday I recieved a divorce ruling that would help me and my daughter stay in our home in Canada and allow me to provide a good life for her as well as pay back numerous debts that had accrued during the past two years when I was receiving $350 a month in child support.

In the divorce ruling the judge found that Rich had willfully spent down the martial fund, confirmed his treatment of me was Domestic Violence and put together a plan to pay for the attorney fees etc. He would still retain custody settled on previously in mediation. He was due to get our daughter for Christmas.

An hour later I was contacted by my attorney who informed me that Rich had shot himself earlier in the morning.

So. There it is.
His other ex and I got to tell our children that their father died without saying goodbye to them, or that he loved them, or to my knowledge, left a note for them.

If you've made it this far thank you for giving me space to let this go so I know longer have to hold onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Always reassuring to know that even if I try very hard I do not think I can manage to be that much of a fuckup this late in life.