Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

something about the n64 era of games definitely feels haunted.

I think it's really difficult to do the kind of vibe we're talking about now without it seeming intentional, at which point it's just either horror or a weirdly bare boring environment. The fact that your imagination had to fill in a lot of gaps combined with childhood fertile imagination was the key and imo that's very difficult to get back without intentionally trying to do it, which is in itself kind of "cute" or "retro" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the piano in sm64 never scared me as a kid but the eel in jolly roger's bay did
i was also scared of the big octos in wind waker
stuff lurking underwater was just a thing that got to me back in the day.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

caught an 11lb lunker :D

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was afraid of the redeads as a kid but weirdly I was equally afraid of the dipshit skeletons who appear in Hyrule Field at night.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the redeads in oot terrified me and I didn't learn until like a year ago that they are blind and if you just walk slowly they won't hear you and completely ignore you

also playing WW as a kid I was like "well if there's redead in this game they'll be cartoons and less scary" I was wrong I was so loving wrong

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the soundscape had a lot to do with the eeriness of N64 games. Footsteps in 64 games sound really hollow and spooky, maybe it's compressed or something, I don't know the technicals

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

NienNunb posted:

I was afraid of the redeads as a kid but weirdly I was equally afraid of the dipshit skeletons who appear in Hyrule Field at night.

i can relate since i was utterly terrified by skeletons as a kid, no matter how goofy they looked. you can imagine how i reacted getting to the graveyard in Luigi's Mansion for the first time

speaking of, i'm still getting used to how many tools you end up having at your disposal in LM3. definitely not a bad thing at all, but after only having elements as a power-up in the original, it feels like a whole different ballgame. even having to charge up the flashlight rather than just swing it around still feels a bit foreign lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

extremebuff posted:

the redeads in oot terrified me and I didn't learn until like a year ago that they are blind and if you just walk slowly they won't hear you and completely ignore you

also playing WW as a kid I was like "well if there's redead in this game they'll be cartoons and less scary" I was wrong I was so loving wrong

Good sound effect ties it together

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

This is maybe an old man thing to say but I feel like games were just better-designed in the past. When you have a hard limit on cartridge size, every texture and sound has to be chosen intentionally and carefully because it's taking up valuable space. There were a lot of crap SNES/N64 games but the good ones are phenomenal because they are so thoroughly planned and considered.

In the era of 100+ GB games, I think a little of the care has gone away. Not always, (thank you Nintendo) but really great games feel less common now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

This is maybe an old man thing to say but I feel like games were just better-designed in the past. When you have a hard limit on cartridge size, every texture and sound has to be chosen intentionally and carefully because it's taking up valuable space. There were a lot of crap SNES/N64 games but the good ones are phenomenal because they are so thoroughly planned and considered.

In the era of 100+ GB games, I think a little of the care has gone away. Not always, (thank you Nintendo) but really great games feel less common now.

youre also 20 years older and more cynical. every year of gaming gets better because theres always a few new great games and all the old badass games that you havent played or want to replay

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Fungah! posted:

every year of gaming gets better because theres always a few new great games and all the old badass games that you havent played or want to replay

yes. yeah. gently caress yyeah. right on. correct

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Semper Games

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

OOT forest temple legit freaked me out (in my early 20s) when I was playing it at 2 am in the dark and no one else in the house. the music, the ghosts, it all added up to where I was looking over my shoulder. awesome gaming moments

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

this

and semper nintendo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

not only are there new great games every year, a backlog of great old games to discover and play for the bfirst time, and classics to revisit (or master), but now we are adults, with jobs and disposable incomes, so we can play almost any game we want. and hell, thanks to Masahiro Sakurai, sonic, Mario and sephiroth are in a game together. here in the future, it's all Funcoland all the time.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Crying (out of fear) to video game music

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

not only are there new great games every year, a backlog of great old games to discover and play for the bfirst time, and classics to revisit (or master), but now we are adults, with jobs and disposable incomes, so we can play almost any game we want. and hell, thanks to Masahiro Sakurai, sonic, Mario and sephiroth are in a game together. here in the future, it's all Funcoland all the time.

Every day is Gamemaster Anthony’s birthday and I am here for it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
there’s also something probably about knowing the graphics were best and closest to realism at the time but we’re so clearly off that makes it kinda unsettling. there’s still something off about something like jet set Gemini to me, for some reason

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

John Romero posted:

there’s also something probably about knowing the graphics were best and closest to realism at the time but we’re so clearly off that makes it kinda unsettling. there’s still something off about something like jet set Gemini to me, for some reason

Oh for sure man.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

John Romero posted:

i'm too depressed and out of sorts due to lord kyankas death to open up photoshop and do a chills style youtube thumbnail where there's a big red box and giant red arrow pointing at the unsettling part(s) so i'll let YOU decide where the creepiness is coming from

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

i remember the animations being stiff as gently caress the framerate really stilted and weirdly graphic dismemberment of giant ants

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I never played either but my mind would mix up Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini as a kid.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

a backlog of great old games to discover and play for the bfirst time, and classics to revisit (or master)

I'm playing through the resident evil remake for gamecube for the first time and it fuckin' rules!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

I'm playing through the resident evil remake for gamecube for the first time and it fuckin' rules!

It kicks rear end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i played jet force gemini and it was somehow one of the biggest piles rare has ever made which is saying alot since htey made donkey kong countrey, banjo tooie, dk64, conker day, goldeneye, perfect dark, kameo, sea of thieves, the xbox 360 avatars, kinect wiisports, and Mr Pants

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also slalom.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
jet force gemini is so bad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

i played jet force gemini and it was somehow one of the biggest piles rare has ever made which is saying alot since htey made donkey kong countrey, banjo tooie, dk64, conker day, goldeneye, perfect dark, kameo, sea of thieves, the xbox 360 avatars, kinect wiisports, and Mr Pants

*Dubya voice* You forgot grabbed by the ghoulies

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

whoa dude. can we not talk poo poo about the 360 avatars, kinect spoirts, sea of thieves, and mf mr pants???

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Dubya voice* You forgot grabbed by the ghoulies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbvWn1EY6g&t=88s

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite part of jet force gemini was that the final level was locked behind doing absolutely everything in a giant n64 collectathon thing. like if you couldn't fight the final boss of a metroid without every single pickup but you have to go play more of a bad weird game instead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when did it suddenly become popular to poo poo on banjo tooie
that game owned

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Augus posted:

when did it suddenly become popular to poo poo on banjo tooie