Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk what my recs are because i never go to the website, i just watch embedded videos that other people post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Are people here going to youtube's homepage and not just the subscription list, the thing that displays only the videos released by people you have subscribed to in chronological order?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/1458295516362592256
https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/1458485331011981317

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it also suggests random poo poo to you down the right side regardless of what you’re looking at no I don’t want to watch a loving Egyptian alien conspiracy video after this episode of In The Night Garden finishes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i am harry posted:

what the hell is it about those god damned thumbnails

i heard once that the algorithm likes those videos because it thinks exaggerated faces are conveying more intense emotion, and the radicalization engine that underlies every social media site wants people to feel intense emotions so they click on more videos, and this explanation is believable to me

if true, this means there was a funny cycle where people made sincere videos of intense emotion, youtube noticed those got extra hits and started recommending them to people, then other people noticed that thumbnails of intense emotional expressions got more hits so they started faking intense emotions in their video thumbnails so the algorithm would drive more traffic to their videos, and now every youtuber makes wacky faces in every thumbnail

i hope this explanation is correct because it is a perfect example of capitalism.png - people recognize that the radicalization engine exists but the only thing they do in response is figure out how to monetize the rot

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

i heard once that the algorithm likes those videos because it thinks exaggerated faces are conveying more intense emotion, and the radicalization engine that underlies every social media site wants people to feel intense emotions so they click on more videos, and this explanation is believable to me

if true, this means there was a funny cycle where people made sincere videos of intense emotion, youtube noticed those got extra hits and started recommending them to people, then other people noticed that thumbnails of intense emotional expressions got more hits so they started faking intense emotions in their video thumbnails so the algorithm would drive more traffic to their videos, and now every youtuber makes wacky faces in every thumbnail

i hope this explanation is correct because it is a perfect example of capitalism.png - people recognize that the radicalization engine exists but the only thing they do in response is figure out how to monetize the rot

I've always super doubted The Algorithm actually analyzes thumbnails to any great extent, it seems like a hell of a lot of processing power to throw at something for nebulous returns. I mean I wouldn't put it past google to do that, but a more likely explanation to me is the usual SEO cargo-cult woo of "the magical incantation worked once, therefore it is now just common knowledge that you have to sacrifice 3 goats and a chicken while making that face in the thumbnail with a giant arrow pointing at the chicken (not the goats) if you want a good view harvest this year"

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Are people here going to youtube's homepage and not just the subscription list, the thing that displays only the videos released by people you have subscribed to in chronological order?

Yes, because the algorithm is actually pretty good at suggesting random poo poo I‘d never discover otherwise. You just have to make sure to never watch the youtube-y bullshit with the terrible thumbnails.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Peggotty posted:

Yes, because the algorithm is actually pretty good at suggesting random poo poo I‘d never discover otherwise. You just have to make sure to never watch the youtube-y bullshit with the terrible thumbnails.

:same:

My youtube homepage is mostly fine imo :shrug:. Holy poo poo is it loving insane if you're on a computer with no cookies and logged out though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's always the worst garbage when you open the site in private mode.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

After 5 minutes of googling I found an article that theorizes the Youtube Face came from or was at least popularized by reaction videos ("kids react to" etc) and that makes a lot of sense, also kinda feeds into my "well these things are popular and they have people Showing Reactions on the thumbnail, therefore I can use sympathetic magic to bring the view-rain to my crops as well" theory too

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

imagine if we could materialize all the bullshit “content” humanity has created in the last 15 years and pile it on top of itself…I’m sure it would reach the moon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Speaking of

https://twitter.com/yoofilos/status/1458784642371178497

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

set your browser bookmark to a nonexistent channel, youtube's 404 is a nice minimalist search. then adblock out the recommended video list element

you can also use ublock origin's zapper to kill any poo poo you don't want to see

here's all the ones I have, basically all you see absolutely nothing except the search bar, the video, and the video description

I set my bookmark to
code:
youtube . com / feed / library
without being signed in

code:
youtube.com###comments
youtube.com###main
youtube.com##.ytp-cards-button-icon-default
youtube.com##.branding-img-container
youtube.com###sb-button-notify
youtube.com###page > .alerts-wrapper
youtube.com###ticker
youtube.com##.iv-click-target.branding-img
||youtube.com/annotations_invideo?$object-subrequest
youtube.com##.video-annotations
youtube.com##.home .branded-page-v2-secondary-col
youtube.com##.feed .branded-page-v2-secondary-col
youtube.com##.guide-builder-v2 .branded-page-v2-secondary-col
||youtube.com/share_ajax?action_get_share_box=1&video_id=$xmlhttprequest
youtube.com##.action-panel-trigger[role="button"][data-trigger-for="action-panel-share"]
youtube.com##.yt-uix-button[data-trigger-for="action-panel-share"]
||ytimg.com/yts/swfbin/player-*/endscreen.swf$object-subrequest,domain=youtube.com
youtube.com##.html5-endscreen-content
youtube.com##.html5-endscreen
youtube.com###channel-subscription-promo-in-feed
youtube.com##.ytp-cards-button.ytp-button
youtube.com##.iv-promo-contents
youtube.com##.iv-click-target.iv-promo-img
youtube.com##.ytp-cards-teaser
||youtube.com/annotations_

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Nov 11, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

in the not too distant future, even billboards will look like youtube video thumbnails

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i am harry posted:

in the not too distant future, even billboards will look like youtube video thumbnails

a thousand years from now aliens land on a desolate, superheated earth. night falls. they look up at the sky and see that our civilization was advanced enough to launch artificial satellites that formed images and patterns in the stars for the whole world to see. the satellites show them this image:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

i am harry posted:

imagine if we could materialize all the bullshit “content” humanity has created in the last 15 years and pile it on top of itself…I’m sure it would reach the moon.

only going to get far worse

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

a thousand years from now aliens land on a desolate, superheated earth. night falls. they look up at the sky and see that our civilization was advanced enough to launch artificial satellites that formed images and patterns in the stars for the whole world to see. the satellites show them this image:

There's this idea for a satellite that wouldn't have any active electronics or anything on it, it would just be a sphere that could survive reentry, in which we could put cultural and civilizational artifacts, maybe try to preserve our knowledge or something, and it would be launched into an orbit that would be designed to decay after ~50,000 years. The satellite would reenter in a shallow trajectory and be covered with material that causes it to leave a bright white streak of light across the sky, visible to a huge area of the Earth even during the day, to hopefully make sure it's found. However it's unlikely the idea will ever get enough funding to actually be implemented though, unless like Bezos or Musk gets into it, and I'm sure them funding it would also mean they get to decide what's in the time capsule sphere too.

Imagine you're whatever remnants of humanity is left in 50,000 years, and this messenger from the deep past falls out of the sky to greet you one day. You crack it open and find nothing but a tiny remote control Tesla Model 3 with Rick and Morty figurines sitting in it.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't wait to do a Futurama and make a living in the 30th century doing '21st century guy REACTS to x' on whatever platform beams directly into people's brains

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao I misremembered it, the idea's actually much worse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEO

quote:

Moreover, the organizers were committed to not filtering the messages, stating "all the messages received, without undergoing any censorship, will be embarked aboard KEO."

Oh you sweet, sweet, naive idiots from the late 90's :allears:

So instead of my example it's just a big collection of poo poo like "PEOPLE OF THE FUTURE, I BRING YOU THE KNOWLEDGE OF LIGMA"

e: Lmao I forgot this part too, like someone saw the voyager record and went "no that's too easy a technology for a totally unknown culture to understand, hold my beer"

quote:

The messages and library will be encoded in glass-made radiation-resistant DVDs. Symbolic instructions in several formats will show the future finders how to build a DVD reader.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Nov 11, 2021

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shame Boy posted:

So instead of my example it's just a big collection of poo poo like "PEOPLE OF THE FUTURE, I BRING YOU THE KNOWLEDGE OF LIGMA"

"Why would we want knowledge of the dread curse that laid low Our Founder, Steve Jobs (PBUH)?!"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just a fancy time capsule

its a serious and omnipresent occurrence with time capsules that when we dig em up again they are filled with the most useless worthless poo poo. just absolutely worthless and uninteresting crap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just a fancy time capsule

its a serious and omnipresent occurrence with time capsules that when we dig em up again they are filled with the most useless worthless poo poo. just absolutely worthless and uninteresting crap

Uh the Nickelodeon one has a fuckin' Ren and Stimpy shirt in it, excuse you

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
reposting this depressing time capsule meme from the meme thread, please ignore the dumb meme image behind the quotes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"I wish that one day the citizens of my country no longer have to experience war themselves" [monkey's paw curls, Blackwater and millions of predator drones suddenly pop into existence]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Y'know thinking about that satellite, all the stuff to put in it was collected in the late 90's and very early pre-9/11 2000's and I think it was at least partially built, and that all probably still exists somewhere. It's kinda its own weird-rear end time capsule in a completely different way now, a big box of "this is what hope and wonder about the future looked like".

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shame Boy posted:

There's this idea for a satellite that wouldn't have any active electronics or anything on it, it would just be a sphere that could survive reentry, in which we could put cultural and civilizational artifacts, maybe try to preserve our knowledge or something, and it would be launched into an orbit that would be designed to decay after ~50,000 years. The satellite would reenter in a shallow trajectory and be covered with material that causes it to leave a bright white streak of light across the sky, visible to a huge area of the Earth even during the day, to hopefully make sure it's found. However it's unlikely the idea will ever get enough funding to actually be implemented though, unless like Bezos or Musk gets into it, and I'm sure them funding it would also mean they get to decide what's in the time capsule sphere too.

Imagine you're whatever remnants of humanity is left in 50,000 years, and this messenger from the deep past falls out of the sky to greet you one day. You crack it open and find nothing but a tiny remote control Tesla Model 3 with Rick and Morty figurines sitting in it.

This is a pretty sweet premise for a bitchin' RPG though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

According to wikipedia the last real update to the project was

quote:

2011 - Launch was delayed due to "armed conflicts and political conditions of the world" [2]

"Over the last decade the world has gotten a lot more grim-looking and nobody really wants to do this anymore, sorry"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

"I wish that one day the citizens of my country no longer have to experience war themselves" [monkey's paw curls, Blackwater and millions of predator drones suddenly pop into existence]

Soliloquies in England posted:

Yet the poor fellows think they are safe! They think that the war is over! Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Seems achievable

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you're five feet away just loving use your hands

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

hackers burning peoples homes down because someone decided to put bluetooth on an oven is a cool timeline

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

hackers burning peoples homes down because someone decided to put bluetooth on an oven is a cool timeline

WE HAVE OVERRIDDEN THE COMBINATIONS TO ALL SMART LOCKS GUARDING YOUR HOME
WIRE $500,000 IN BITCOIN TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS OR WE WILL TURN ON YOUR BACK LEFT BURNER,
WHICH I CAN SEE FROM YOUR FURBO CAMERA THAT YOU HAVE LEFT AN OVEN MITT ON TOP OF
YOU HAVE 20 MINUTES TO COMPLY

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
There is only one YouTuber with good thumbnails, and that's Marcel Vos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiRKavs_74

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shame Boy posted:

Wouldn't the biggest problem with this be like... water

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

actionjackson posted:

lmfao I can't imagine anything going wrong with initializing a heating element remotely via voice controls.

there's a reason physical knobs exist stuff that can make things catch fire

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmfao I can't imagine anything going wrong with initializing a heating element remotely via voice controls.

there's a reason physical knobs exist stuff that can make things catch fire

My parents have an LG electric range that uses touch controls and it's a massive pain in the rear end. I like the idea of wiping it down easily without all the little places for crud to hide in physical controls, but it has really poo poo feedback and is slow to react to presses. Also it'll just go nuts and do random poo poo if you put a metal pot/tin foil/water on top of it which is pretty god damned annoying since the controls are front and center on the range.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I'm the level of confidence in Bixby that made them add the "works with google assistant" right next to it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wouldn't the biggest problem with this be like... water

It was designed to float for a long time so it'd eventually wash up somewhere :shrug:

Like I always kinda admire ideas like this but I can totally understand why reality absolutely destroyed it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

capitalism and brands are actually good, if they are black founded or owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

capitalism and brands are actually good, if they are black founded or owned

I assume "black founded" means "A black guy came up with the idea and some rich white businessmen make the money off it"