Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Someone should update the front page about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

Was he ever charged with DV?

He was charged with domestic assault and disturbing the peace back in July 2020. He entered into a plea negotiation, where he pleaded guilty to the disturbing the peace charge, to have the domestic assault charge dropped, citing the cost of fighting as his reason.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Temin posted:

Thanks for building this Rich, and adding so much funny to my life.

RIP

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

But this website has really brought me a lot of laughs, and been a great distraction if nothing else. My account is almost old enough to drink. And regardless of the nature of the humor here, and regardless of whatever your feelings towards Lowtax, this is just another reminder that it's never too late to stop and reflect on who you are, and what you're leaving behind. You can be an rear end in a top hat on the internet, but for gently caress's sake we all need to be better to each other in real life.

e:

Shame Boy posted:

And on that fateful day in November, for one brief, shining moment, we were all truly gay

:yeah:

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 11, 2021

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fucker kills himself the day after the court finishes dissolving his marriage? I feel for his ex-wives and kids.

To anyone who has fond memories of him, I saved this from these forums over 15 years ago along with a ton of other image macros and smilies.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s interesting how when most people go through the self check out it’s unexpected and tragic and very sad

but with lowtax it seems like it was the logical next step

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
RIP to a trailblazer of internet parasocial relationships. You really feel like you knew him back 10 years ago when I actually used this website regularly. This is hosed up but maybe not unexpected considering his life trajectory. Weird times.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I just got an ad for goldbelly on YouTube. I’d never heard of it before this thread.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Read about it in the meme thread after I did some work this morning. Hope his girls know that we're pulling for them, so I kicked in :10bux:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I found out about this on the way home from happy hour last night, and I was like, "whoa...nah...let me process this tomorrow". And yeah, it still doesn't feel fully processed. I've been on these forums for almost half my life, so Lowtax dying seems unreal, especially considering the legacy (both good and bad) that he left behind.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Thanks to whoever posted the 2002 Vegas GoonCon video. I had never seen it before and I was in the background several times :ninja:

I'm going to choose to remember Richard like that.

My condolences go out to his family and especially his children.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
RIP Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5RZ8k6iQik

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

A thread full of insults is what he would have wanted

If you want to give it to him though, that's up to you

:yikeseroo:

The smilie code and text being spelled differently is :discourse:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaranthius posted:

Fucker kills himself the day after the court finishes dissolving his marriage? I feel for his ex-wives and kids.
Yeah, it was funny when I thought it could have been an OD or butter-heart death.

But gently caress man, imagine having that much hate for people in your life that you do this to deny them a bare minimum of support.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

LadyAmbien posted:

I have been sitting for hours debating whether or not to disclose this, and I feel like it's something I do need to get off of my chest.
Frankly, I'm tried of being quiet. I've mostly had to stay quiet for years about things happening behind the scenes. I've held things inside so long and so hard my chest physically hurt the same way it is now.

I considered not sharing this out of respect for Rich's parents and sister, but after thinking on the incredibly vitriolic wall of text Rich's Mother sent to me this morning, saying upon many other things, that his blood is on my hands, I need to share it to regain some sense of control over what's taken place in the past 48 hours.

Yesterday I recieved a divorce ruling that would help me and my daughter stay in our home in Canada and allow me to provide a good life for her as well as pay back numerous debts that had accrued during the past two years when I was receiving $350 a month in child support.

In the divorce ruling the judge found that Rich had willfully spent down the martial fund, confirmed his treatment of me was Domestic Violence and put together a plan to pay for the attorney fees etc. He would still retain custody settled on previously in mediation. He was due to get our daughter for Christmas.

An hour later I was contacted by my attorney who informed me that Rich had shot himself earlier in the morning.

So. There it is.
His other ex and I got to tell our children that their father died without saying goodbye to them, or that he loved them, or to my knowledge, left a note for them.

If you've made it this far thank you for giving me space to let this go so I know longer have to hold onto it.

I'm so sorry you and the kids have to go through this, and just know this isn't your fault.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

just glad to have the forums and the people i've met through said forums

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Mx. posted:

she helped stage fake lowtax is in hospital send money photos!!

Sorry I'm a little out of the loop, th'what now?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If he could have gone back in time, I hope he would do it again

pretty sure the only thing lowtax would have changed is avoiding getting his spine pulverized in vegas. entirely possible that would have led to a happier, healthier, less abusive richard kyanka, but also maybe not. hard to say.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:rip: Lowtax. His mind must have been in a dark place and i feel bad for him in his last moments, and most of all i feel for his family and friends. Thank you for the website and I wish you could have stuck around and found a better life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eagerly waiting for Vice to post that he was the "Kurt Cobain of the Internet Generation"

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go make it then you idiot. you paid $10 to be able to post

I didn't want to clutter up GBS since this thread is open.

Also, technically I didn't pay tenbux to post. ;) I have crawled back from a ban or two though. Twenty years on a forum... you mess up sometimes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it was funny when I thought it could have been an OD or butter-heart death.

But gently caress man, imagine having that much hate for people in your life that you do this to deny them a bare minimum of support.

he was just a loving pussy. if how he handled the forums in general for the last decade wasnt evidence enough, this clinches it

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Eagerly waiting for Vice to post that he was the "Kurt Cobain of the Internet Generation"

Vilas Kraut
Jul 15, 2000
rip

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I found out about this on the way home from happy hour last night, and I was like, "whoa...nah...let me process this tomorrow". And yeah, it still doesn't feel fully processed. I've been on these forums for almost half my life, so Lowtax dying seems unreal, especially considering the legacy (both good and bad) that he left behind.

It’s weird to think about when I reg’d here that lowtax almost felt vaguely celebrity like. He definitely had that sort of following.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

ah gently caress, this will absolutely happen

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaranthius posted:

To anyone who has fond memories of him, I saved this from these forums over 15 years ago along with a ton of other image macros and smilies.

this isn't the one that says goondolences

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shame Boy posted:

Just for the record since I did it anonymously and idk how to like, link to an anonymous donation, here is what all your incredible gayness did:

Je suis gay

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Ughhh you're right

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Blue Raider posted:

It’s interesting how when most people go through the self check out it’s unexpected and tragic and very sad

I think the main point here is that it is sad and tragic but more for those who he left behind, his family, his kids and anyone who wished him well.

He made horrible choices and instead of trying to learn or help himself he killed himself.

It is a poor end for anyone tbh.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 11, 2021

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Xibanya posted:

yeah six figures is a life changing amount of money for a lot of people. wtf happened? I can only guess gambling or some poo poo, even buying shitloads of drugs alone isn’t enough to drain the coffers that fast.

The site made literal millions in profit back in the day. Lowtax made some spectacularly bad choices with money; child support and spousal maintenance to three exes didn’t help as he systematically traded them in for younger models each time.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

IPlayVideoGames posted:

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

His Patreon is still getting $165 from people who forgot they subscribed.

you ever think about how there's a bunch of automated systems online still processing payments to and from people who have already died

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Icon-Cat posted:

SA changed my life, shaped my life, whatever you want to call it. I owe it a lot. I frequently say my 10bux was the best investment I ever made.

I came too late to really have a sense of who did what and where the voice that emerged from this place came from, how much was Lowtax and how much was everyone else around him.

I guess in the end I can think of Lowtax as many Americans do with the Founding Fathers: they may not personally be responsible for everything that America became, but they sure as hell got the ball rolling, and if you're a patriotic sort you can thank them and honor them for that without forgetting any ghastly incidents. An odd analogy, I guess, but then the Revolution was fought in hopes of a low tax, so hey :haw:

:cheers:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doltos posted:

Lowtax made this website and years later it exposed me to a Bust Rodd post gently caress you Lowtax I hope you burn

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
well, bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr box
Mar 6, 2001

Fragmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkcZ4LtSE8

I guess I should preface this by saying this isn't a joke especially since I'm posting for like the first time in 10 years or something, but I got the bad news today directly from Rich's family.

Lowtax has passed away.

I didn't ask for details. I don't know details. I don't know what the current opinion of Rich here is. Not here to answer questions, I'm sharing the news. I really hate to share this news. But there you go.

Goonspeed golden manbaby 555s 2 heaven

==admin edit==

If you would like to help, see the GoFundMe thread here.

:siren: THIS IS A VERIFIED GOFUNDME FOR THE KYANKA DAUGHTERS. Reach out to site admins if you have any questions on the validity of the link! :siren:

Edit by 11-NOV-2021 1:40pm est by Pragmatica.

sorry for you loss kevin