Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

He apparently owed $95,000, plus $3500 a month for the next two years. He boned himself though. Fucker had only himself to blame for his horrible choices.

That is certainly a big oof. What happened to his GTR though? Can i have it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I've spent thousands of hours scrolling through these forums and it had a dramatic impact on my sense of humor and in a way it shaped who I am today.

Lowtax is a monster.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I said come in! posted:

Lowtax posted about needing money for a surgery for his back. It turned out he lied about it. We donated tens of thousands of dollars to him for his medical bills that turned out to not be real.

Between that and patreon it was at least $100,000 from donations before the $450,000 from the sale

I wanna see the receipts, like goddamn how much ketamine and benzos are we talking about here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Burns posted:

That is certainly a big oof. What happened to his GTR though? Can i have it?

It was a lease apparently, so no.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

lol at the idea that offsites started to propagate things that were banned here are SA's fault

Lowtax could have had them killed, but instead he let them go.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Posting in a Lowtax thread.

:rip::wtc:

Mushroomfarmer
Jul 14, 2007

rip

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The General posted:

We did spawn kiwifarms and 4chan, so story checks out.

We didnt spawn those sites. They started up to talk about stuff that is banned here. That is hardly our fault.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

zetamind2000 posted:

Between that and patreon it was at least $100,000 from donations before the $450,000 from the sale

I wanna see the receipts, like goddamn how much ketamine and benzos are we talking about here

Jeff paid 450k for the forums? I didn’t know that no loving way

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Burns posted:

Rich mustve really gotten boned by the court for this to have gone down. I am curious about the judgment that was handed down.

Any judgment against him would have been too much

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

hopeandjoy posted:

Sure he was a wife-beater and scammer who killed himself after purposefully wasting his money so it wouldn’t go to his wife and daughters, but he also made these dead gay forums, so I guess we have no choice but to memorialize him like the founding fathers.

Rest in piss lowtax.

Most of the founding fathers were assholes too. Like, maybe Payne and Franklin were the only good ones

I'm disappointed only because Lowtax deserved to live out his life miserable and alone as he watched the world forget he even existed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When I made a facebook post about it, since I am/was friends with the taxman there, it turned out a surprising number of my IRL friends knew him too and that's how they found out. They didn't know about all the domestic violence and stuff and I feel like poo poo for springing that on people that are genuinely good and whom I care about, because they had a completely different perception of lowtax than we do because they weren't witness to the same events we were on the forums. Ugh. Even in death he's still an rear end in a top hat

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

now a lowtax ghost can protect my puckins every halloween

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Posting for posterity

:rip: and thanks for making this dumb website I love so much I guess. All the best to LadyA and the Kids, I hope you're all doing alright.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I realize now that the Most Lowtax thing for him to do is to have his mom give the local PD and Coroner some sloopy lawjobs to fake his own death.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

LadyAmbien posted:

I know that all three of us spouses loved him very much when we first got together. He was a complex man and it's devastating that there was so much potential there for a happier life if he tried to heal his demons and addictions successfully, and it ended like this.

Most humans are all not good or all bad. I have behaved in ways in my life that I'm not proud of. I don't know what I'm trying to say here really other than that grief is really loving complicated and I wish he had tried harder to heal if not for himself then for his kids. I hated him in recent times, but I also at one time loved him deeply.

Quoting because this is really important.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rynn posted:

During the 2016 election anyone who toxxed for Hillary was told by the mod team that they would just be probated instead since it was a lot of people and a crazy happening etc

Lowtax decided he wanted that cash and told the mod to ban them anyways. So I had to spend $20 to get everything back

So gently caress him I guess

I feel like, of all the things you could hate him for this might be the most embarrassing

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I realize now that the Most Lowtax thing for him to do is to have his mom give the local PD and Coroner some sloopy lawjobs to fake his own death.

tbh lowtax wasn't capable of faking his death. he'd make it three days before getting drunk on a stream using public library wifi or something

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Blue Raider posted:

5000 logged in users means each of us is worth a whopping 90 bucks
it feels good to be valued by someone

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

zetamind2000 posted:

Don't know where that number came from but it's not real.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
"There's a quote attributed to Brian Eno, "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band." That's kinda how SA is for internet culture, up to and including the fact that Lou Reed was also a giant shithead." - some guy on facebook

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Did you ever get that cheese i sent you

yeah it was real good

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

yeah that's the first I've read that. where'd that info come from?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Well he got the best 7 odd quid I’ve ever spent. gently caress that guy but I’m glad he somehow made SA in spite of himself. Also glad he got run out and let it go.

Rest in piss lowtax

when i signed up it was almost $2 to a £1 so he got nowhere near $10 from me on that day

fuckin gottem

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

I said come in! posted:

We didnt spawn those sites. They started up to talk about stuff that is banned here. That is hardly our fault.

4chan was started by goons and its original userbase were goons. Though to be fair, the site only turned into what it is today after Moot sold it to a Japanese dude who didn't give a drat what was posted there and who allowed a racist mod to mold it:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7aap8/the-man-who-helped-turn-4chan-into-the-internets-racist-engine

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I said come in! posted:

Kiwifarms spawned from making fun of Chris Chan, who was absolutely brought to public attention on SA first.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Did he pay you in turkish lira

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jeffrey, I regret to inform you that 450,000 is in fact a real number.

Blurple is not

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Fansy posted:

"There's a quote attributed to Brian Eno, "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band." That's kinda how SA is for internet culture, up to and including the fact that Lou Reed was also a giant shithead." - some guy on facebook

Dang, was really wanting to describe my IRA balance as a percentage of a poo poo posting website's value.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Should have known, it's way too funny to be true

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

r u ready to WALK posted:

5000 logged in users means each of us is worth a whopping 90 bucks
it feels good to be valued by someone
There's a lot more active users than that, and I did not spend that much. Sorry to disappoint.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I wish he had been a better person. I feel awful for his kids and ex-wives, and anyone who is going to be swept up in internet drama because of this.

It's such a strange sensation, having this figure who has taken up so much space in my mind die, and knowing that nearly everyone I know would be absolutely baffled if I tried to explain who he was and why it matters. It's like I'm from a different dimension where we have different celebrities.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

twitter's algorithm is doing that thing where it suggests i follow specific topics and it must be very confused today

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Shame Boy posted:

I already donated to the GFM but I'm still mad. I will raise my donation by :10bux: for each person who quotes this post and replies "im gay" in the next 30 minutes. One post per person and imma set a cap of like idk a few hundo bux because I'm not loving jeff bezos.

100% serious.

e: Y'all were significantly gayer than I even expected. I just donated $500 cuz I had to cut it off at some point lmao.

I dare you to make it $510

im gay

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Rynn posted:

During the 2016 election anyone who toxxed for Hillary was told by the mod team that they would just be probated instead since it was a lot of people and a crazy happening etc

Lowtax decided he wanted that cash and told the mod to ban them anyways. So I had to spend $20 to get everything back

So gently caress him I guess

Of all the things you could pick to hate the man for, enforcing the :toxx: on Hillbots is the absolute dumbest one.

e;fb

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Not gonna lie, this kinda feels like the end of an era. Handing over ownership of the site was big, but this is different.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Shinjobi posted:

Jeffrey, I regret to inform you that 450,000 is in fact a real number.

Blurple is not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkP_OGDCLY0

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

I said come in! posted:

Those sites may not have been born here, but the gross goon sex that spawned those poo poo sites certainly *did* happen here.

:gooncamp:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I think the main point here is that it is sad and tragic but more for those who he left behind, his family, his kids and anyone who wished him well.

He made horrible choices and instead of trying to learn or help himself he killed himself.

It is a poor end for anyone tbh.

This is honestly where I'm at with it too. I'm not "happy" that he took his own life because all this did was victimize his family again. They deserved better than that. It would have been better if he's gotten the help he needed and turned himself around, not for his sake, but for theirs. Now that is permanently off the table. And he's not the only one who suffered for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

change my name posted:

Kiwifarms spawned from making fun of Chris Chan, who was absolutely brought to public attention on SA first.

Yeah idk, the whole "we didn't do that, those were people we had to ban" kinda ignores that they originally concentrated here in the first place before having to be banned. SA's culture and userbase used to be real, real fuckin' lovely, even if everyone only remembers the good times or w/e.

It's not as clear-cut as some people are saying but it's not like the site is blameless either, idk.