Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

More for ID as we start to develop wallet-based IDs, and just having PDFs of documents handy. I'm not sure how well a vaxpass QR code scans on a watch (but I actually could try this, given Ontario makes the app freely available)

It would be 100% fine for most of my daily walking/jogging/whatever, I just don't want to start training habits of leaving gadgets, which I plan to rely on, at home -- that's how I started leaving my wallet on my dresser drawer and only realizing I didn't have my physical DL (Ontario doesn't recognize e-DLs or photos of a license IIRC) until I'm 40 minutes down the road.

I think we're about get a ton of convergence on the digital ID front in north america though so I am optimistic :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Martytoof posted:

I'm also mildly curious about getting an LTE model and toying with the idea of leaving my phone at home for jogs/walks etc. But my phone is slowly becoming my wallet-replacement and I don't want to leave home without one or the other so LTE might be an entirely redundant spend right now.
I sprung for testing out this option. I don’t think I use my phone for as many critical things as maybe you do, so I’m optimistic it’ll be fine. Breaking the habit of making sure I have my phone before I leave is proving to be tough, though…

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

manwithoutskin posted:

Anywhere you can use your phone to pay, you can use your watch to pay with Apple Pay. Having the LTE model would allow you to Venmo/Zelle/whatever as well. Unless you're talking about physically carrying the cash/cards on the back of your phone.

Well in theory that's how it should work, but occasionally apple pay will refuse to work on my watch and i'll have to take my phone out my pocket like some kind of cave man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve never ever had Apple Pay not work on my watch.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve never ever had Apple Pay not work on my watch.

it's just occasional so not a big deal. maybe once a week, using it most days. made me laugh when it happened in the apple store though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Maybe a provider-specific issue? I feel like my Wells Fargo card gives me more trouble on Apple Pay than my local bank debit card (shocking, I know).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Having some behind the scenes view of Apple and google payment systems, there are definitely cases where your token card can be invalidated on one device and not the other, but I don’t think it’s common at all. Anecdotally I’ve never had it fail to work where it wasn’t a problem with the entire system but I *have* had it fail and that’s why I still kind of get freaked out when I leave the house without my wallet. I have 99.9999% confidence that my payment will go through, but what if this is that time where I’m like “oh uh I can’t pay sorry” after a meal :ohdear:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think it's time for a new watch, my Series 2 doesn't understand what "focus" is and puts itself into Do Not Disturb all the time :v:

I decoupled it from the Phone state, but now it lets through work Teams messages in the evening. D'oh.

I assume it all works nicely together in the latest Watch software?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the watch is the best form of apple pay cause you don't need to faceID/unlock to enable it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

baram. posted:

the watch is the best form of apple pay cause you don't need to faceID/unlock to enable it

1000000000% agree. Hard agree. I agree very very very much.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Bobstar posted:

I think it's time for a new watch, my Series 2 doesn't understand what "focus" is and puts itself into Do Not Disturb all the time :v:

I decoupled it from the Phone state, but now it lets through work Teams messages in the evening. D'oh.

I assume it all works nicely together in the latest Watch software?
Yes, watchOS 8 on my S3 knew all about focus states.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone having an issue with focus status not syncing to the phone properly?

I'll start an outdoor run at my front door (within range of my phone), which automatically triggers workout focus. When I'm done, I'm usually a quarter mile from home so I can do a cooldown walk. So I end my run workout and walk the rest of the way home. The workout focus turns off when my workout ends. When I get home and back on my phone, the phone is still in the workout focus.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Only one Mac ; weirdly .. if its sleeping it’ll wake up in the last Focus State i used; and i am still uncertain if its the watch or anything else

When the mac is awake it seems to work as intended and all devices have the same state

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

More for ID as we start to develop wallet-based IDs, and just having PDFs of documents handy. I'm not sure how well a vaxpass QR code scans on a watch (but I actually could try this, given Ontario makes the app freely available)

It would be 100% fine for most of my daily walking/jogging/whatever, I just don't want to start training habits of leaving gadgets, which I plan to rely on, at home -- that's how I started leaving my wallet on my dresser drawer and only realizing I didn't have my physical DL (Ontario doesn't recognize e-DLs or photos of a license IIRC) until I'm 40 minutes down the road.

I think we're about get a ton of convergence on the digital ID front in north america though so I am optimistic :)

I used https://covidpass.marvinsextro.de to put my eu covid cert in wallet, for some weird reason the QR code is bigger on my series 6 watch than on my xr. It’s doable but you need to put the watch right in front of the scanner(which might lead to scratches over time if not careful)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
drat its awesome that other countries take COVID seriously!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
A few months ago. I saw my cat jump into my neighbors window.
I panick, run and grab the keys on my desk. go to my neighbor. and she tells me she comes up all the time and she goes back by herself. Neighbor loves that the cat comes to visit her.

So I go back down to my door, grab my keys. I had picked up my work keys. I locked myself out of my home.
I have no phone, no money on me. Start to think I have to go back to my place the way my cat did.

All I had on me was my apple watch. It didn't have internet connection but I figured i'd try to buy a train ticket to my mother's place to grab my spare key and it worked.
Apple pay saved me that day. Because yeah, the apple watch doesn't need to be connected.
As long as the transaction machine is connected. It just verifies the apple pay on the watch.

In hindsight. I probably could have called someone via my apple watch if I stayed close to my door. My iphone was in the house, but I didn't think of that at all at the time.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got my Covid booster shot yesterday (Moderna) because I am a teacher (39 year old male). Today I felt tired and ended up taking a 3 hour nap. When I got up, I was eating and for the first time ever, my Apple Watch alerted me that I had an elevated heart rate while it looked like I was resting.

It said I was over 120 bpm. I have ran the heart rate check up and they all have been 130 or higher. Just now, while sitting on the couch, it had me at 120 bpm and “inconclusive”. Other than that, I feel fine (just tired).

I found an article that increased heart rate is somewhat normal (peaks around 2 days and is done by 6 days) so I guess I will just keep an eye on this for the next several days.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33972954/

Without my Apple Watch though, I would not have even known that this was happening.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Does the Series 7 not come with a charger? I saw a brief message about it not having one but the Compare site says it does.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Comes with the cable but not the brick.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Strong Sauce posted:

Does the Series 7 not come with a charger? I saw a brief message about it not having one but the Compare site says it does.

As doingitwrong said, it comes with the cable, but not the brick.
The cable is a USB-C so you may need a new brick.

The new cable supports fast charging, which is nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not sure if this is exactly the right thread but probably close enough - is there a way to have Siri voice over in Workout to give you distance updates without pausing the music and just making it quieter and she talks? It is really abrupt and jarring the way it just stops now.

NaiChaDiDi
Aug 7, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got my Covid booster shot yesterday (Moderna) because I am a teacher (39 year old male). Today I felt tired and ended up taking a 3 hour nap. When I got up, I was eating and for the first time ever, my Apple Watch alerted me that I had an elevated heart rate while it looked like I was resting.

It said I was over 120 bpm. I have ran the heart rate check up and they all have been 130 or higher. Just now, while sitting on the couch, it had me at 120 bpm and “inconclusive”. Other than that, I feel fine (just tired).

Same thing happened to me with the booster and my apple watch. 120 bpm while I was sleeping.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All my iDevices threw a popup yesterday saying Messages was now being used on a new Apple Watch (with my watches.. watch's.. watch..es? correct name. The correct name of my current watch).

Sent me into a quick panic thinking someone had registered a watch on my iCloud account but no trace of that. Guess something on the watch just hiccupped and re-registered itself? I'd been getting my SMS/iMessages on the watch for forever now too so it was extra weird. Given I use SMS as a 2nd factor or fallback second factor (yeah yeah I know it's awful but sometimes you have no choice) to a bunch of stuff, anything around SMS sets off warning bells.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did your Watch update overnight or something? That can trigger it sometimes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've never owned a watch or a smart watch before but I'll be getting a Series 7 in a few months.

My main issue right now is I'm extremely indecisive and can't figure out what kind of casing and band combo I want.

I was thinking I'd get the silver stainless steel with a milanese loop... Or a graphite equivalent. I could use some help deciding on this. I want something practical which doesn't look overly childish like I'm wearing a livestrong bracelet with a mini ipad attached to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think as long as you don't get a colored aluminum, you won't really have an issue with that. A third-party leather band is probably a good option, too. Lots of options there. Silver stainless steel is a very classic watch material, fwiw.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Am I going to have to constantly readjust the milanese loop or will it stay securely on my wrist?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Am I going to have to constantly readjust the milanese loop or will it stay securely on my wrist?

I don't know about the official one, but my $15 amazon knockoff is firm as ever after like four years of use across two watches.

Endless Mike posted:

Did your Watch update overnight or something? That can trigger it sometimes.

Don't think so; at least I don't remember a notification saying it did. At any rate, it's fine I think -- no new iDevices on my account so probably just some software hiccup.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have the Milanese loop and don’t have to adjust it all the time. I do have to get it all the way open to get my hand through it, but my hands are quite large.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m a bit confused about Focus. The watch is supposed to reflect the phone right?

So I have Focus to turn on for exercise when I use Strong app, but off when I use the workout app. However it only seems to turn on when I’m using Strong on my phone actively, so when I lock my phone it turns off the Focus on my watch too. It wasn’t working like this before I don’t think, is that right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It doesn’t sync between the watch and the phone very well at all in my experience. It will activate the fitness focus on my phone when I start a workout but if I end it on my watch, it doesn’t deactivate it on my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kraftwerk posted:

I've never owned a watch or a smart watch before but I'll be getting a Series 7 in a few months.

My main issue right now is I'm extremely indecisive and can't figure out what kind of casing and band combo I want.

I was thinking I'd get the silver stainless steel with a milanese loop... Or a graphite equivalent. I could use some help deciding on this. I want something practical which doesn't look overly childish like I'm wearing a livestrong bracelet with a mini ipad attached to it.

Good questions , but You haven’t gotten to the even bigger question of which apple fitness trainer is will be your favorite.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I've all but given up on any watch-phone cooperation. Half the time when I am playing a podcast on the phone and try to use my watch to pause/play it just throws a spinner for 30 seconds until I resignedly fish the phone out of my pocket and mash the play button there.

This is real fun now that it's cold and I have mitts/gloves on.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I've all but given up on any watch-phone cooperation. Half the time when I am playing a podcast on the phone and try to use my watch to pause/play it just throws a spinner for 30 seconds until I resignedly fish the phone out of my pocket and mash the play button there.

This is real fun now that it's cold and I have mitts/gloves on.

Are the newer watches better than the series 3 about this kind of poo poo? My favorite is when I try to use the HomeKit app and it just sits and spins so long that the screen turns itself off again

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

Are the newer watches better than the series 3 about this kind of poo poo? My favorite is when I try to use the HomeKit app and it just sits and spins so long that the screen turns itself off again
Weirdly yes, in my experience upgrading to the 7. It doesn’t seem like it should do syncing stuff like this better but it does. Still far from perfect, but far less frustrating than on the 3.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What are the better deals this BF for a new 6 or 7? My mom wants one.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Does the apple watch automatically show text message previews on your wrist for everyone to see?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Does the apple watch automatically show text message previews on your wrist for everyone to see?

You can disable that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

The multi-generational leap in processor and wireless speed make for a phenomenal improvement. I found the S3 pretty much useless for a lot of things but modern Watches do a lot of things nearly instantly. Even on my budget SE there may be a second or two of lag in the Home app as things sync on initial launch but it’s all very usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

You can set it to receive notifications that are generalized, without sensitive info. Same with things like heart rate I believe.