Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lowtax's death was not covered on TMZ today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What were his views on Assad?

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Rynn posted:

During the 2016 election anyone who toxxed for Hillary was told by the mod team that they would just be probated instead since it was a lot of people and a crazy happening etc

Lowtax decided he wanted that cash and told the mod to ban them anyways. So I had to spend $20 to get everything back

So gently caress him I guess

one good thing lowtax did

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The one picture of him standing in a morass of concrete and swamp effluent, looking forlorn, is one of the things that carries me through the darkest of my days.

that's the least I would expect to see from someone building a house in a place called the Great Dismal Swamp

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

grover got a job at vice

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

etalian posted:

FBI monitoring a sad has been website, even more so a random sub-forum sort of defied the common sense part of making a believable lie.

both CIA and koch bro pay me by the post

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

John Charity Spring posted:

finally we see why regime change in syria hasn't been successful: it's a goon project

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

richard "lowtax" kyanka, another victim of the curse of assad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
goldbelleh

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
tax dead. so what

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Immortal Wombat posted:

Goodnight sweet prince

Thanks for turning this place over to a bunch of college grievance studies nags and converting it from the fun centre of internet culture into an irrelevant backwater shithole.

Lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thinking about how my friend turned lowtax down on a job after he wanted to be the ‘ideas guy’ she’s got blood on her hands smdh

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just got the email update from the GoFundMe saying that they've broken their donation goal twice in one day, and it makes me happy because I know Lowtax would have been absolutely livid that so many people are giving :10bux: to his family rather than to him so he could get cookie shipments.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

etalian posted:

It is a work of art, the look of confusion on his face and the realization that mistakes were made.

Everyone said he was daft, but at least the fourth house stayed standing.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

Before my transition my goto #1 coping method was to laugh at everything dark and horrific and I only figured out in the last 2 years how little this actually let me process and confront the poo poo i was ostensibly coping with.

I see a lot of goons doing it, and i still do it a bit reflexively, i just don't let it be the the be all end all cope i used to make it

Basically making calls to empathy my goto on the forums like laugh at stupid dark poo poo but don't be a callous thoughtless fucker like consider the fact his daughters may read this or some time in the future and consider your words may be very literally hurting children directly? Like idk nobody wants to be caught excusing his behavior but between that and callous pitch black humor with zero empathy exists the target medium and I know some goons need help getting there

I can't imagine what you went through, maybe your situation warranted that as a coping method more and at least you have an awareness of it. i can be like that too for sure (post history right there). for me its the despair and cynicism. it doesn't have to be completely hopeless, at least I tell myself that sometimes. once a long time ago my dad was also abusive but was able to work himself out of that where I can now forgive him. I don't know Rich of course but the consensus is that it was inevitable the way things ended up but I can't be so sure.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Nov 12, 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

As someone who lost a parent to suicide, my own perspective on this is gently caress Lowtax, he was an abusive, manipulative piece of poo poo narcissist. I'd much rather celebrate a redemption than a death, but he chose not to give us that luxury.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

y’all keep thinking about him and you’re finna manifest a tulpa.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

a new study bible! posted:

y’all keep thinking about him and you’re finna manifest a tulpa.

hot dang whos up for a spirit summoning in fursuits and buttplugs!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
prolly gonna need a few skull plugs too

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Butt Dwyer

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

oh no I have to pay for clothing and school supplies for my children guess it's game over man

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Did his divorce finalize before he checked out? If so, that might have been a small kindness because the taxman would have come for the taxman's estate.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Did his divorce finalize before he checked out? If so, that might have been a small kindness because the taxman would have come for the taxman's estate.

I've been wondering that, too. It sounds like he might have died before the order was entered. No idea how that would work out.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hmbo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

thinking about how my friend turned lowtax down on a job after he wanted to be the ‘ideas guy’ she’s got blood on her hands smdh

It would have been his hands if she gave him the job.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Didn't he also lie about getting visited by the FBI or secret service or whatever? Lol imagine believing a word this guy said

I mean I'm not happy he's dead, suicide is awful but still, he was a manipulative abuser and liar

Some goon ran a Freedom of Information request with the FBI for any filing mentioning Something Awful or Richard Kyanka or one or two other search terms and nothing popped. So either the death threat was so serious they had to lock the records up in the deep archives next to the Kennedy assassination confessions or Lowtax was lying to make himself look like a victim

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I don't know man at least we won't get a post this time in about two days explaining that actually he didn't kill himself to avoid child support, that that's crazy, that we're crazy for thinking that, that no one would do that, and that actually he was just laid up because of his back you know, which by the way really hurts all the time and it really sucks and is painful, and he has lots of hospital bills because of it, and then he heard his ex-girlfriend downstairs crying and screaming for no reason and there was a cop car outside again and he got up to check on what was going on, and then just tripped and his skull landed on a bullet, but he definitely never hit anyone that's insane you're all insane.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

Some goon ran a Freedom of Information request with the FBI for any filing mentioning Something Awful or Richard Kyanka or one or two other search terms and nothing popped. So either the death threat was so serious they had to lock the records up in the deep archives next to the Kennedy assassination confessions or Lowtax was lying to make himself look like a victim
you're also missing a third option: given how absolutely terribly incompetent the fbi is, and how absolutely intentionally awful FOIA requests are, a third likely option is it was just not filed properly or didn't meet the very exact criteria given. it's not like a google search where it can include permutations or shortcuts. for example, asking for Richard Kyanka might not work, but asking for Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka might.

or they figured it was such a nothingburger that the paperwork would have been more hassle for what was a quick phonecall/knock, or just never archived because it was a post-it note.

lowtax lying is the funnier option though so we can go with that but it's still a very plausible,

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

if it was a death threat against a secret service protected individual why would they FOIA the FBI? wrong org!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

both CIA and koch bro pay me by the post

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Somebody dug up the year old thread and bumped it without me having to do any work

bedpan posted:

What is the real story behind LF trying to kill a president?

I asked the United States Secret Service and they said "no records were located"

Did I not use the right words or should I have contacted the FBI?

Lowtax's claim, which can't be quoted directly because its not on the live forums I guess
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410745#post391439858

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Nov 12, 2021

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

“the media” says it was a suicide but i think it was the vaccine

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm surprised that Comrade Fragmaster didn't commit suicide irl after being one of the early Your Console Sucks mod.

All the PTSD from having to lock another catgirl Oblivion mod thread.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

save the NEETs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.pcgamer.com/richard-lowtax-kyanka-founder-of-something-awful-and-onetime-king-of-the-internet-goons-dead-at-45/

quote:

But there was always a toxic side to Something Awful. Its members would brigade people and organise harassment campaigns. It encouraged some of the most base online behaviour imaginable and, when those groups became too toxic for even SA, they went off and founded sites that were way worse.

Kyanka's decision to ban hentai from SA led one individual to go off and found 4Chan.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Usually that statement ends with "which lead to the rise of the alt right and, ultimately, the election of Donald Trump as president."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol