Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Look the only reason there's been legendary rats since Betrayers is because they're everything else too.

I look at every single legendary creature with black in its identity as the crucial centerpiece to rat colony bullshit and I have been disappointed for three years straight by the cowardice of wotc.

Let's not forget it's all arbitrary as Kaldheim has low cmc nonblack demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Now that I've played modern and feel more confident I'm going to finish the Merfolk deck and none of you can stop me!!!!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Now that I've played modern and feel more confident I'm going to finish the Merfolk deck and none of you can stop me!!!!

I will fly to your home to stop you if I must.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

At the end of the day, it's more fun to play what you like than to play the top decks just to win. More power to you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Tbf i think merfolk is fine in low meta tier, like a lgs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modern trip report: It was super fun, I went 2-2 which I'm very happy about considering it was my first time playing modern ever. The decks I won against were some kind of artifact control deck and izzet blitz, and I lost against a Yorion blink deck and a bonkers affinity deck that got like 5 artifact creatures out on turn 2. I got two MH2 set boosters as a prize and pulled two Verdant Catacombs :popeye:

This is a really good result for a first try at any format, especially one with as many enfranchised players and as high a learning curve as modern, you should be proud of yourself

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
You don't need to have a super spectacular deck to do well in FNMs anyway. I had built a few more fairly expensive decks back when I played modern (Soul Sisters, WB Death & Taxes, UW Spirits), but I almost always performed better with https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel. I went 3-1 most of the time and only ever really crumpled to Grixis Control decks. (This was around 2016, before Grixis Death's Shadow took off big time.)

With as inexpensive as Burn is to play now, I'm half tempted to try it myself, but I keep reminding myself that I just don't care much for how repetitive playing 60 card constructed feels to me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why did you ever drop off twitch, Nikachu?
Nikachu is a guy who plays exclusively merfolk so look up his content (on youtube I think now) to learn the list and how to play

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is a really good result for a first try at any format, especially one with as many enfranchised players and as high a learning curve as modern, you should be proud of yourself

Thank you!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf i think merfolk is fine in low meta tier, like a lgs

Framboise posted:

You don't need to have a super spectacular deck to do well in FNMs anyway. I had built a few more fairly expensive decks back when I played modern (Soul Sisters, WB Death & Taxes, UW Spirits), but I almost always performed better with https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-84-6-tix-modern-uw-tempered-steel. I went 3-1 most of the time and only ever really crumpled to Grixis Control decks. (This was around 2016, before Grixis Death's Shadow took off big time.)

With as inexpensive as Burn is to play now, I'm half tempted to try it myself, but I keep reminding myself that I just don't care much for how repetitive playing 60 card constructed feels to me.

Just from what I gathered last night it seemed like the local scene is meta-aware but not afraid to bring their weird pet decks, like the Yorion blink guy had an 80-card deck and the artifact control deck I played was pretty wacky but both guys were aware their decks were weird lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Why did you ever drop off twitch, Nikachu?
Nikachu is a guy who plays exclusively merfolk so look up his content (on youtube I think now) to learn the list and how to play

Oh I already know him from looking up merfolk stuff lol.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

like the Yorion blink guy had an 80-card deck a

I mean... that's kind of how yorion works. Yorion blink is not really a "pet deck" its one of the most popular decks in the format.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean... that's kind of how yorion works. Yorion blink is not really a "pet deck" its one of the most popular decks in the format.

Well ok

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing 80 cards to get a free, extra, guaranteed powerful card in your hand is uber powerful, as it turns out, particularly when the rest of your cards are mostly redundant interchangeable valuemen

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I won one game against the deck but the other two I got Omnath'd to hell

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yorion was the reason I was looking forward to standard rotation, moreso than Eldraine because Yorion piles are just boring and miserable to play against

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The newest Yorion piles builds are partouclarly funny, because its like an $1,800 dollar deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yorion Rhinos is performing very well ATM

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I loved playing my Living End deck, back when it was a decent tier 2 deck, with avalance riders, fulminator mages, and a bunch of common cycling guys. Would have been around 2010-2012 and the meta at my LGS was pretty chill. I beat the guy playing jund exactly once, when I Ricochet Trapped a lighting bolt aimed at his own Dark Confidant that was going to kill him. The first time I played the instant cascade into living end to boardwipe an affinity player and then swing for lethal back was maybe the most fun I've ever had in modern. Turn 2 Simian Spirit Guide into Fulminator Mage on the play vs tron was also very good.

I wonder how good the non-modern horizon version of the deck still is, without the lovely force of wills and new evoke dudes

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

$1,800 dollar deck.

That hurts to even think about.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

The newest Yorion piles builds are partouclarly funny, because its like an $1,800 dollar deck.

From what I saw of the deck it looked pretty similar to this one but he had Ragavan and Kiki-Jiki in there too lol.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-blink#paper

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

This small pile of cardboard is worth more than a cheap used car!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

This small pile of cardboard is worth more than a cheap used car!

Tfw I realized that the dual lands I sold in 2005 could have paid for the down payment on my house in 2021

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Well crap, didn't realize the extra life secret lair was just for a few days last week (had a busy week and forgot to check). Why on earth would they make the charity one have such a small window of time but the Halloween ones go through November?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sega 32X posted:

Well crap, didn't realize the extra life secret lair was just for a few days last week (had a busy week and forgot to check). Why on earth would they make the charity one have such a small window of time but the Halloween ones go through November?

Guess who keeps the profits off of which

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7fe5EdKtw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat I had forgotten to watch the Midnight Hunt one when it came out, it's pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQi3raUki7s&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait is WOTC really making limited quantity numbered magic cards lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean all of them are numbered on the bottom

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eej posted:

I mean all of them are numbered on the bottom
there's apparently a leak about ultra-limited cards being slotted in similar to masterpieces and invocations, but specifically marked with a print number on each one, like "1 of 100 limited print run" sort of thing.

look, let me tell you, TF2 did that with "craft #" for every newly-released item. and a #1, #69, etc that is literally indistinguishable from the regular crafted item unless you READ THE NAME OF THE ITEM, could go for hundreds of dollars depending on the item, despite not even being one of the hats that were on fire or whatever.

If they're really doing this and explicitly marking these limited run ones uniquely, that's gonna get really stupid on the secondary market

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real life NFTs ftw

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

apparently this is the card?

https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/status/1458851557278203906

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Real life NFTs ftw

in this case you actually own the card so nothing like NFTs

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Numbered limited run is just regular rear end collectible stuff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if it's only in secret lairs that's even sillier

but also that's a neat novelty. completely backwards text card, heh.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

:shepface:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would quit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Attack all. You have a 123/123

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I had three >100 / >100 creatures by that point.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
drat 123/123 is the most I've ever seen in Arena! In a EDH game I've seen there get to be 141/141 with hexproof one time (and that player ended up losing haha). I wish arena had EDH in it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

thelizzerd posted:

drat 123/123 is the most I've ever seen in Arena! In a EDH game I've seen there get to be 141/141 with hexproof one time (and that player ended up losing haha). I wish arena had EDH in it.

Please enjoy the 147 +1+1 counters that arena decided would be best on my Legion's landing after it timed out trying to put triggers on the stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/fuckinalpamare/status/1418150509794451461?t=o9PfZcIjMCYKdTxqrVFitw&s=19

It was a bot match so there's an asterisk but I got to around 370 +1/+1s before crashing the match