Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Release date is 2024 :negative:

At least he is being realistic! /looks at Wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The whole "announce super early/spend forever in early access" has got to be my least favourite thing about these games. 1.5 years, max! :mad:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

The whole "announce super early/spend forever in early access" has got to be my least favourite thing about these games. 1.5 years, max! :mad:

I'm forgiving of ones that had scope laid out before COVID hit.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

The Kins posted:

A slightly cheaper, single-player-only version of E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is now out at GOG, if you feel that your legs will still be OK without 32-player co-op. (And you didn't already get it for a buck in a Steam sale a hundred years ago)

A single player rerelease 10 years after the original is extremely on brand for E.Y.E. Such an intense game, the Hardcore Gaming 101 write up is pretty good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i really need to sit down and play EYE sometime

i gotcha try it coop lmao

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm not sure if I played EYE or just imagined it to be honest.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

another fittingly baffling decision from streum on god i love you so much

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mordja posted:

The whole "freak out at small devs for not meeting my every demand within arbitrary timeframe" thing that happens without fail is a bit worse. Setting realistic goals is good & healthy especially in such a risky, soul-crushing industry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dark Forces is now completable in the Force Engine source port. A full "Core Game Loop" release will be announced once nice graphics options like high resolutions and widescreen are implemented, but as things stand there is A Playable, Open-Source Thing, so even if Lucius falls off the face of the Earth (again) there's something for the rest of the Internet to work with.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Good on them :)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Dark Forces is now completable in the Force Engine source port. A full "Core Game Loop" release will be announced once nice graphics options like high resolutions and widescreen are implemented, but as things stand there is A Playable, Open-Source Thing, so even if Lucius falls off the face of the Earth (again) there's something for the rest of the Internet to work with.
I’ve said mean things about him in the past but he came back and got it done this time so good on him. He was a little overly enthusiastic about his timeframe, as he thought he was close to an actual release almost a year ago. But he stuck with it this time so that’s cool.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Holy poo poo, that's actually something. Good going, Lucius, God knows I've given you poo poo before, but this is exciting.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I was playing Half-Life when I realized that shamblers are definitely furry because the alien slaves/vortigaunts are just shaved shamblers.

Edit: for a less cursed thing is there a good ROTT port yet? I wanna try that again.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 11, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I wonder if the blob was an aborted attempt at snark ai for hl2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJZzU6-coo

lol at dog vs barnacle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ--RiUhrS8

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Keiya posted:

Edit: for a less cursed thing is there a good ROTT port yet? I wanna try that again.

I think there's one coming out made by the people behind that neo-nazi Postal clone Hatred, unless I got some facts mixed up

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Convex posted:

I think there's one coming out made by the people behind that neo-nazi Postal clone Hatred, unless I got some facts mixed up
There was one in development with a teaser of a Switch port but it's been radio silent for a while.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait is Hatred a neonazi game? I thought it was just an edgy "kill em all" game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Glagha posted:

Wait is Hatred a neonazi game? I thought it was just an edgy "kill em all" game.

Can we just skip ahead to the part where we nuke the discussion from the thread and start talking about how annoying slimers are in Duke3D. I blame them for the annoying headspiders in Ion Fury that just about ruin the whole game

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I support this I definitely don't want to turn this into Hatred discussion hour because it's not worth it. The lovely enemies in Ion Fury weren't so bad to me though because the revolver's lock on and the stick both handle most of them pretty well

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I guess, but it feels a bit like dealing with those little critters in Dead Space that make you stand still and mash a button for 5 seconds before you can get back to enjoying the game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I refuse to complain about any enemy in Duke3d that is not the Sentry Drone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dead Space and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: still kickin'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Dead Space and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: still kickin'

my favourite line-read in any game ever is near the start of Dark Messiah where the evil wizard man says "Impale him, Sareth" but he pronounces "Impale" as "Impall"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I refuse to complain about any enemy in Duke3d that is not the Sentry Drone.

Hmm. Its a shame Duke3d doesnt have infighting as I'd love to see whether Build could cope with nuts.wad with all enemies replaced with protozoid slimers and sentry drones

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Slimers are loving scary and my skin crawled when I first saw one creep up on me, that's all I have to say

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Glagha posted:

Same devs made IS DEFENSE where you defend europe from the ravaging hordes of ISIS terrorists.

They also made a Viking game and called it Ancestor's Legacy.

They're basically a bunch of Eric "Sigvatr" Vaughns and not even hiding it that well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Can we just skip ahead to the part where we nuke the discussion from the thread and start talking about how annoying slimers are in Duke3D. I blame them for the annoying headspiders in Ion Fury that just about ruin the whole game

I don't mind the slimers at all. They explode into satisfying chunks in one pistol shot. Those headspiders in Ion Fury can absolutely fall rear end first onto a fully decorate Christmas tree, though. What kind of brain chemical altering mad science to you have to subject yourself to when deciding that a basic attack by those guys should shave off 10% of your health under all conditions, then sic several of them on the player at once? The balance of IF is so hosed, it's one of those games I enjoyed at first because of the novelty but as time when on I've come to absolutely hate it. Just total swing and missing the fun of retro shooters.

Also the sentry drones are absolutely the worst enemy of DN3D. I'll defend DN3D a lot and I think it's the best all around Build game but even that one had some wonk rear end decision making. The drones take so much god drat punishment and commit the sin of being a kamikaze enemy which are never fun in anything ever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Slimers are zero problem, just hold down quick kick and touch them and they're dead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I do not like the slime creatures. If you also do not like the slime creatures, there is an EDuke32 script at the bottom of the mammoth OP that deletes them every frame, so you do not have to deal with them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I do not like the slime creatures. If you also do not like the slime creatures, there is an EDuke32 script at the bottom of the mammoth OP that deletes them every frame, so you do not have to deal with them.

RandyDeletion.con

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The worst slime creature is, and always will remain, the caustic blob you find in one of the Skaarj labs towards the end of Unreal. It's a good thing that it only was a tech demo of sorts that made it way into the game in this one instance, and was never seen or heard from again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I would like the slimers more if there seemed to be more of a link between them and the Alien's biology. Like clearly they are supposed to be like facehuggers and they leave eggs next to kidnapped women presumably to impregnate like xenomorphs but nothing comes of it. I think even the stuff from the Birth ends up being a different process.

If they had looked like baby Octobrains or Cycloids or something I'd like them more. Or even if their habit of eating enemies and corpses lead to them growing into a different creature. As they are they just crawl up your screen and then off again like some bad lightgun game enemy. The hands in blood are way more interactable and interesting as a result even if they don't have the cool ceiling to floor jump the slime has.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I would like the slimers more if there seemed to be more of a link between them and the Alien's biology. Like clearly they are supposed to be like facehuggers and they leave eggs next to kidnapped women presumably to impregnate like xenomorphs but nothing comes of it. I think even the stuff from the Birth ends up being a different process.

If they had looked like baby Octobrains or Cycloids or something I'd like them more. Or even if their habit of eating enemies and corpses lead to them growing into a different creature. As they are they just crawl up your screen and then off again like some bad lightgun game enemy. The hands in blood are way more interactable and interesting as a result even if they don't have the cool ceiling to floor jump the slime has.

I think the same thing about Duke3d's enemies, but this is clearly not the kind of game where biology was ever considered. I assume the design process was watching Aliens once and then adding in a bunch of random monsters that looked cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like the sentry drones they make cool noises

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

verbal enema posted:

I like the sentry drones they make cool noises
They're just Doom Imps

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're thinking camels

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3obH4fkW-4

Interesting stuff about 2 mins in ;)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I always get a kick of the people that say 'it's an old school game, you need to be THIS good to play!'. In 1993 Doom had 5 difficulty settings. X-Com the same. It was the normal thing back then.
We actually regressed since then.

Oldschool cheat codes were a great accessibility feature, and it's a tragedy that they have been taken out of most modern games by competitive online "achievement" culture.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turin Turambar posted:

I always get a kick of the people that say 'it's an old school game, you need to be THIS good to play!'. In 1993 Doom had 5 difficulty settings. X-Com the same. It was the normal thing back then.
We actually regressed since then.

Yeah, it always makes me laugh when people complain about that stuff when classic gaming was full of cheats and we'd even buy things like Game Genies/Pro Action Replay.

Has anyone ever tried to make custom sprites in the style of Doom 64 for the missing monsters? It would be cool to see 64 versions of revenants and archviles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Oldschool cheat codes were a great accessibility feature, and it's a tragedy that they have been taken out of most modern games by competitive online "achievement" culture.

literally taken out of the GTA rereleases that dropped today :v: