Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I asked my son (who is four) what the opposite of Mario was and he said Bowser.

I don't think that's right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The opposite of Mario is Wario it’s pretty clear in the lore

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Stux posted:

You Must Buff.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Buffing and debuffing are essential in SMT. You will get your poo poo knocked in if you don't.

I will try to watch some twitch streams, but its looking like I'm gonna need to find something else to purchase by the sounds.
Bleh, thanks for the insight tho.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
if the buffing is min max why wouldnt ff etc be ok?? you can just spam attakcs in those games lol

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Stux posted:

if the buffing is min max why wouldnt ff etc be ok?? you can just spam attakcs in those games lol

I mean in those FF if you aren't doing lots of grinding to get high up above the enemy level, you need to mess about with menus between fights, use a lot of items and poo poo like that.
I don''t particularly enjoy menu hopping ad nauseum.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
then play on easy

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

What Final Fantasy are you playing? I haven't played the last 3 but I can't think of a single time I needed to grind unless you want the best armors and weapons or all the summons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im not sure how many RPGs since like the PS3 actually need grinding in the old school sense

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spiteski posted:

I need some help.
I like Persona 5 but don't like finaly fantasy 7/8, disgaea, or bravely second because the combat is too minmax and convoluted. I'm also not super duper into anime, and Persona 5 was kinda right on the cusp of "this aint worth it", but I got through it and ultimately enjoyed my time playing it (though would 100% have enjoyed it more on switch).

Is SMTV going to be a good game for me? If not, what the gently caress else am I going to spend this voucher on? Advance Wars 1+2 is a long assed time away, and I finally feel too old for Pokemon (shield really hammered that home to me).
Is Bravely Default 2 as awful and boring as Second was? Incredibly grind + lovely story did NOT do it for me.

I disagree with FF being grindy, especially with the cheat modes on helping you out to grind if you so feel the need (it's really not necessary). You can get Octopath Traveller if you're looking for a JRPG. The gameplay is fun and inspired by Bravely Default, though the plot, while dull is rather boiler-plate, and it's job system isn't quite as involved. However, it often goes on sale these days, so kind of a waste of a voucher. Otherwise, maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Isn't that Persona-like (but super anime?)

If you like strategy maybe Three Houses? I'd otherwise consider a game outside of that genre. I'm personally considering vouchers for Dread and maybe Mario Party. There's also Triangle Strategy coming out in several months. How long do you have on it? If you don't need to use it immediately, I'd definitely sit on it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im not sure how many RPGs since like the PS3 actually need grinding in the old school sense

i don't think anything post-snes needs it. maybe dragon quest 7

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

To add to no grinding in FF... grinding makes the games boring to be honest. They're not all that hard to begin with, what challenge there is is made redundant if you grind. If you just want to see story then throw on the cheat options in the PS Final Fantasies and get on with it.

7 and 9 have good stories, as does 10. 8... is stupid as poo poo but the gameplay mechanics are interesting. That one's fun to break open if you want.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

hatty posted:

The opposite of Mario is Wario it’s pretty clear in the lore

No, Wario is the cosecant of Mario

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Persona is a lot more similar to SMT than people are comfortable admitting for some reason, but if you thought it was tough to get through and was "barely worth it" I have a feeling you're not going to like SMT at all

It's a more hardcore pure boiled down to the basics RPG. It's an RPG for people who like RPGs a lot

E: what was it about persona that you specifically liked that made you push through the bits you didn't? Might help answer whether you'll like SMT or not

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 11, 2021

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Persona is a lot more similar to SMT than people are comfortable admitting for some reason, but if you thought it was tough to get through and was "barely worth it" I have a feeling you're not going to like SMT at all

It's a more hardcore pure boiled down to the basics RPG. It's an RPG for people who like RPGs a lot

E: what was it about persona that you specifically liked that made you push through the bits you didn't? Might help answer whether you'll like SMT or not

I might have undersold how much I liked it by the end. It was the inital getting into the game that I felt was close to not being worth it, and that was mainly due to the delays between going to the strongholds, all the school stuff basically. Felt (until I was more invested) like a chore before getting to what I liked - the mini puzzles and the combat. The combat itself hit just right - the synergy and combo chaining was drat satisfying to pull off.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spiteski posted:

The combat itself hit just right - the synergy and combo chaining was drat satisfying to pull off.

I haven't played SMTV so I don't know if there's an equivalent to combo chaining (baton pass?) but from what I remember from SMT 4 the combat is basically persona but more focused. When I posted that it was minmaxy I mostly meant that you have to think about it, Persona is pretty forgiving in comparison. And if you didn't like the school bits, congrats, smt is for you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spiteski posted:

I might have undersold how much I liked it by the end. It was the inital getting into the game that I felt was close to not being worth it, and that was mainly due to the delays between going to the strongholds, all the school stuff basically. Felt (until I was more invested) like a chore before getting to what I liked - the mini puzzles and the combat. The combat itself hit just right - the synergy and combo chaining was drat satisfying to pull off.

Oh! Yeah, the combat is very very similar and equally satisfying in my opinion. SMTV is not going to have any of that fluff. It's going to drop you into the world and let you start exploring right away but honestly, it sounds like you might actually enjoy the mechanics

You're going to be fighting and recruiting the exact same demons you saw in persona, which is a huge draw for a lot of people. Very similar vibe in many ways, except this is more postapocalyptic and grim but still very full of Japanese flavor/vibe

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm a couple hours into the game and it has you out and about exploring within minutes. It's really nice.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
What the heck did you get an early delivery? Any stores that are breaking street date?

Not like it matters. I have to watch a buddy's band play tonight I guess ugh I want to play so bad though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

What the heck did you get an early delivery?

Yup.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I gasped then cried

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
God drat thisI'm horny thread

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It's already on the eshop as available now.

I guess since I am bad with money and I wont really know until I've wasted the voucher, I'll pull the trigger and regret it in a week.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm the blue thing in the bottom right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looper posted:

i don't think anything post-snes needs it. maybe dragon quest 7

DQ7 is so drat long that if you aren't running from fights you're going to be plenty leveled and easily spend 100 hours on the main game. Post-game will require grinding but that's a give with super bosses.

KingSlime posted:

What the heck did you get an early delivery? Any stores that are breaking street date?

I'm not sure when it changed, but it's been listed a a Nov 11th release for at least a little while even though it originally was Nov 12th.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

b_d posted:

i'm the blue thing in the bottom right.

Nope that's me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

poo poo. what am i

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 is so drat long that if you aren't running from fights you're going to be plenty leveled and easily spend 100 hours on the main game. Post-game will require grinding but that's a give with super bosses.

I'm not sure when it changed, but it's been listed a a Nov 11th release for at least a little while even though it originally was Nov 12th.

11th was for jpn only, everyone else is 12th

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm screaming at god that I can't play for another 6 hours.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

:greencube:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mister Facetious posted:

Welp, that's the end of the Nintendo Switch I guess. It doesn't have any games to play, so now it needs owners to pay for NSO to watch OTHER people play games.

On the contrary, Nyanners is now on the Switch. I didn't think you could improve on perfection, but here we are.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

100YrsofAttitude posted:

7 and 9 have good stories, as does 10. 8... is stupid as poo poo but the gameplay mechanics are interesting. That one's fun to break open if you want.

This is all quite reasonable but even putting aside its unique mechanics there is something special to me about the way the story in 8 starts out totally reasonable and then just goes right off the rails by the 2nd disc or so.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FF8 is the only video game so boring that your party members pass out due to boredom multiple times

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bust Rodd posted:

FF8 is the only video game so boring that your party members pass out due to boredom multiple times

They literally get amnesia cause they spam guardian force attacks as a story point :haw:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any thoughts on Airborne Kingdom? Concept looks neat, and seems like it's another PC port on Switch, but curious if the base game is good and if the Switch port is good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ok i bought gta and have only played 3 so far but it doesn't seem great. the resolution is sub-hd in handheld mode and it doesn't even come close to sticking a solid 30 fps, which is disappointing to say the least for a game this old. the new character models are meh. they don't look very good but the old ones didn't either. the vehicle draw distance is still pretty bad and traffic visibly phases in a lot. the new control scheme and targeting system is good and it feels like they've subtly improved the overall vehicle physics as well, although it's still pretty goofy. i also appreciate that they added a gps route to the minimap. overall though it feels only marginally less phoned-in than the existing mobile ports. i really love these games, am glad to have them on switch, and will definitely play through them all, but i wish rockstar would give more of a poo poo about preserving them in the best state possible. imagining a gta remaster with the care and attention of a nightdive release just makes me sad because we'll probably never get one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh, sweet a package from EB Games is arriving today and... oh it's the other thing out today; The Legend of Zelda Game-and-Watch :sigh:.

And SMTV's tracking now says due by Monday :argh:. (Thankfully it's currently relatively close this time, rather than winding up taking a prolonged holiday in Sydney like my OLED Switch did).

I'll just have to play old Zelda games on a neat novelty handheld in the meantime, I guess.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

whenever you get out of the car it shows claude standing next to the car for a frame before playing the animation of him getting out

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Weedle posted:

ok i bought gta and have only played 3 so far but it doesn't seem great. the resolution is sub-hd in handheld mode and it doesn't even come close to sticking a solid 30 fps, which is disappointing to say the least for a game this old. the new character models are meh. they don't look very good but the old ones didn't either. the vehicle draw distance is still pretty bad and traffic visibly phases in a lot. the new control scheme and targeting system is good and it feels like they've subtly improved the overall vehicle physics as well, although it's still pretty goofy. i also appreciate that they added a gps route to the minimap. overall though it feels only marginally less phoned-in than the existing mobile ports. i really love these games, am glad to have them on switch, and will definitely play through them all, but i wish rockstar would give more of a poo poo about preserving them in the best state possible. imagining a gta remaster with the care and attention of a nightdive release just makes me sad because we'll probably never get one

I was gonna buy it but I'm gonna get SMTV instead. Seems the wise investment atm

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Barreft posted:

I was gonna buy it but I'm gonna get SMTV instead. Seems the wise investment atm

good choice.

real lovely that rockstar delisted the old versions of the games on digital storefronts for this busted poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weedle posted:

whenever you get out of the car it shows claude standing next to the car for a frame before playing the animation of him getting out

Lol, that's some pretty basic stuff to miss considering how often they get out of the car (Sounds like someone forgot to make the animation not parse the new root state of Claude outside the car so it starts FROM there rather than the animation holding onto the model rig and playing it first)