Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

knight, monk, thief, blue mage, white mage and black mage would be a great place to start

gotem

yeah idk, this is absolutely the game where you can just start playing, it's not like you are locked into anything, and stat growth isn't dependent on your job class at level up.

just play this gaem, it is so good. give each character an archetype, melee, combat magic, support magic, and wildcard, and apply jobs that look like they fit to that.

suit up 4 monks and just punch people for the first third of the game

3 knights and 1 white mage probably takes you thru the entire crystal gathering section of the game

an interesting variation of the 4jf would be to give one class to each character, and change it when you get new crystals? that could be neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The good thing about the fiesta is you're still encouraged to change jobs around on your way to the next crystal or to lock in the abilities that will make your build once you have all 4. You can't play games wrong but any conduct where you can't change jobs at whim in FF5 is noticeably The Wrong Way.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmao at Thief's hypersprint

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Faris is the wildcard but Butz is a solid wildcard pick too

Lenna is always my physical damage and Galuf/Krile is always my caster

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao at Thief's hypersprint

It's beautifully obscene. The comedic speed makes up for not being able to Quicksave-skip past the Jackanapes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah there really is no wrong way to play this game. You can switch jobs at any time so as long as you don't sell all your gear and always buy all available spells and summons you should always have the basics for what you need.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After getting maybe 30 minutes in FFV last night, decided that I actually needed to play and finish FFIV first for some reason and decided to finish 80% of it in one sitting today.

You know, playing through the game just straight through like that made me realize that man, Cecil and party just got clowned by Golbez the entire drat game. There's at least three consecutive sequences I can remember where the person asks Cecil "so were you able to protect the crystal??" with Cecil lowering his head like "sorry, golbez just teleported into the room and took it and we have no ideas on what to do now"

The Giant stuff was.. a weird lapse in competence by Golbez though was he just in the other room the whole time while Cecil was blowing up the goddamn power source of his giant robot?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I haven't played FF5 in like 10 years or so and it was the PS1 version and holy moly I forgot how annoying some of these dungeons are. I always get lost in the steam ship and I'm shocked I got through the library so fast. 2 back to back annoying maze dungeons sucked.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

I literally can't stop myself from grinding ap in world 2, please send help.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 12, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mega64 posted:

It'll never work.

That takes me back, thanks.

Currently at the fire ship with thief/red mage/monk/knight and having a really tough time, I might have to go back to some tried and true combinations. That's what I get for experimenting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only bad thing about FFV is you can permanently miss the last Bard song.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vichan posted:

That takes me back, thanks.

Currently at the fire ship with thief/red mage/monk/knight and having a really tough time, I might have to go back to some tried and true combinations. That's what I get for experimenting.

That boss has gently caress-yous to everything, but only one per form, and swaps form every hit. So you find the one that hurts the least and starting there giving it three whacks in a row between its turns before patching up.

Letting it stay in tornado and selfheal-at-full its MP away no longer works, but support casters or even freelancers can also use ice rods as an item to fire off Blizzara without !Black equipped.

To be precise:
Humanoid counters melee and offensive magic, it hurts more than you do.
Hand counters heals and offensive magic, a robe just can't stand up to getting punched and it's not weak to ice like the others.
Tornado counters heals and melee, you can't put damage down fast enough.

Your party will be focused at least 2/1/1 on one of these roles just due to there being 3 roles and 4 slots. You can also specialize deeper in any of them easily. Pick one and exploit ATB/the transform-on-damage behavior to lock it in the form that's favorable to yotr comp.

FWIW, I rolled a comp pretty close but worse to that in 4jf (THF and Mystic Knight) and had a smooth rum keeping it in hand and using the thieves to heal with potions during hand form/proc the transform from back row to avoid the ice immunity.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 12, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm putting the game down until they fix the MP bug. If your fighter character equips Lv 6 Black Magic then their Magic stat reaches that of a Black Mage, but their MP is not recalculated.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 12, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That's never been the case? Every version of the game doesn't heal your HP/MP on job or ability switching?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elephant Ambush posted:

I haven't played FF5 in like 10 years or so and it was the PS1 version and holy moly I forgot how annoying some of these dungeons are. I always get lost in the steam ship and I'm shocked I got through the library so fast. 2 back to back annoying maze dungeons sucked.

The fire ship is like...7 rooms long.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fire ship was pretty hard…when I was five! get owned nerd lolololololololololol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does Faris still talk like a pirate?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Leal posted:

Does Faris still talk like a pirate?

No

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

the fire ship was pretty hard…when I was five! get owned nerd lolololololololololol

:xd:

The good news is that I spent enough time in there that all my dudes were level 16 when I got to the library.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alxprit posted:

That's never been the case? Every version of the game doesn't heal your HP/MP on job or ability switching?

Sounds like they meant that the MAX MP does not get recalculated, so you end up with a Knight with high magic power and 12 MP.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

In non FF5 PR news, I spent about half as much time in Chapter 11 of FF13 as I did the entire rest of the game up until that point and am unironically extremely looking forward to grinding out ultimate weapons and killing the superbosses :shepspends:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

In non FF5 PR news, I spent about half as much time in Chapter 11 of FF13 as I did the entire rest of the game up until that point and am unironically extremely looking forward to grinding out ultimate weapons and killing the superbosses :shepspends:

I did 100% of the superweapons and superbosses in FFXIII and honestly it was pretty fun. By the time you're at that point in the game, you've gotten to the point where the game starts actually being a good time to play, so you might as well enjoy it.

The last superboss in FFXIII is one of the most fun fights in the series, honestly. If you enjoy using the paradigm system really actively you'll have a blast.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Chillgamesh posted:

lol i did this too and when i replayed during first lockdown. ff13 is good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Harrow posted:

On this topic, I'm sure a lot of people here have seen it, but Tim Rogers (of "very long and idiosyncratic video review" fame) did a series on the translation of the first disc of FF7 back when he worked at Kotaku. He compares the Japanese and English scripts and talks a lot about the different meanings and implications, and the choices made in localization.

This is part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefYEaNUJ7w

This gels with something I've been noticing replaying VIII. Having to squeeze all the text into boxes that only accommodate a dozen or so words at a time really makes it hard to convey any kind of nuance or detail. Any lengthy sentence gets broken up over multiple boxes, which makes it harder to follow even if it was well written, which most of the time it isn't. It's part of what contributes to basically the entire cast being unlikable assholes, since instead of a detailed conversation most of the time they just get "No you idiot!" or the perennial "... Whatever."

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Man, the story in really is pretty paper thin. I mean I think they do okay with what they're working with. But FF6 and Chrono Trigger definitely got them beat in the cinematic story feeling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Odd numbered games were always mechanics first story uh fourth until 7 ruined the system.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF6 will probably be a complete pain to pain to plat.

Will Gau's rages still be a goal?
Will Mog only have one chance to learn the rondo?
Strago has one-time lores.
Half the places you visit end up exploded. It is incredibly easy to miss the loot in the imperial camp.
You wont to choose between the sword and the stone, because you can steal the sword in the final battle.

I'm not a crazy completionist, I skipped the grinding bullshit in II and random drops in IV. I straight up used an achievement-manager so I could platinum FF3 twice because I liked it so much,

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does it bother anybody else that the Pixel Remake icons don't have transparent backgrounds? Or is that just me?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, that's FF8 finished. First time I've actually beaten it, when I played the PC port back in the day I got up to Ultimecia's castle, got sidetracked dicking around with finishing sidequests, and never actually went any further.

Talk about a plot that goes magnificently off the rails, then lights the train on fire, blows up the station, steals a monster truck, and drives it off a cliff while tripping balls. The whole sorceress thing is really fascinating and I wish it was fleshed out more. The character designs for Adel and Ultimecia are rad and it's a shame they don't get more screen time. If they made an FFVIII-2 featuring more adventures in the same world I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't say the junction system and other mechanics in 8 are my favorite in the series, but they're at least decently interesting and fun to mess around with. The idea that you should avoid leveling up as much as possible is certainly an unusual take for the RPG genre (gently caress Odin, that rear end in a top hat is absolutely a trap and I wish I had never gotten him, half my levels by the end of the game are due to him showing up and ganking something worth 1k-3k XP and it not being worth restarting from my last save).

Back to FF7 next, which I played a bit more than 8 but it's still been quite a while since I've done a full run through.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Getting Odin in FFVIII before poo poo goes crazy train on fire means you get a GF of the best character in all of FF.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The party in FFV is terrific, these other games have all this drama and sad people, and Bartz is just running around with the Best Friends Gang.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mustached Demon posted:

Getting Odin in FFVIII before poo poo goes crazy train on fire means you get a GF of the best character in all of FF.

I mean... kinda.

I had Gilgamesh show up during one of the Ultimecia battles with Zantesuken, delivering a solid MISS on every single enemy. You get him so late in the game that there's really nowhere for him to effectively turn up.

It did make me gain a few appreciation points for Seifer though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I appreciate how he's a strict downgrade to Odin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hogama posted:

in retrospect as remarkably bold a departure from the rest of the series as it was, the commercial failure of ff6 pixel remaster can probably be attributed to the crunkcore, noise, and glitch hop-inspired soundtrack

FF6 PR's Dancing Mad remake is going to own bones.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FF5 is definitely stingier than the other games. You don't level up fast, you don't make money easily, and you don't learn new moves quickly barring auto-battle. It can siort of feel like you hit a wall in the second world.

Enemies are way more aggressive and puzzle-like and your own HP goes down quick.

When I went to learn aero in the wind shrine 3 party members got killed from full hp by 90 damage casts from the moldwynds. Bastards. :argh:

Then Siren focused on Galuf and only Galuf, who was a thief and therefore died very quickly during Undead Time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is FF4PR one of the ones where square tuned everything really easy for the English audience, or does it get harder later? I just got Edward and everything has been an absolute cakewalk so far, I don't think antlion did more than 20 damage total. The only trouble I've had is with the mini mages paralyzing the party and stealing all our mp lol

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jinh posted:

Is FF4PR one of the ones where square tuned everything really easy for the English audience, or does it get harder later? I just got Edward and everything has been an absolute cakewalk so far, I don't think antlion did more than 20 damage total. The only trouble I've had is with the mini mages paralyzing the party and stealing all our mp lol

The tune is the same worldwide, but the exp is tuned to the high end of bloodthirsty if you explore and don't run. 2x the exp/reduced encounter rate to compensate (but based on pure critical path and/or assuming that you'd run when you never have to run because you've been gaining 2x exp all game).

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
This game is a lot more lighthearted than I remember from playing the 90’s RPGe translation. Must be utter hell conveying the five character’s varying methods of speech across the ten or so languages this is released in.

https://kotaku.com/how-three-kids-beat-the-odds-and-translated-final-fanta-1794628286

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love the lightheartedness of FFV. It’s mostly why it’s ranked higher than FFVI even though FFVI is a masterpiece in video game storytelling.

FFV has you care about the things going on but you’re on a storybook adventure the whole ride through and the stakes are high in the final act, high enough that you could imagine the player furrowing their brows while smiling as they Enter The Void. The whole ride is just a good time. FFV gets you triumph at the end. And the music? the rapid quick string music, the fun music like the big bridge, it’s all very whimsical and fun.

FFVI, excellent as it is, has a lot of contemplative moments that endears you to it, but they also have a lot of tragedy and a bit of whimsy. As you progress you’re engrossed in their stories and it explores the psyche of the characters in a compelling way. But it also gets loving heavy. And as a consequence FFVI is almost a foil to FFV. The final act feels like a duty or obligation to the world you’ve been exploring and the characters within. This isn’t a bad thing, at all, but you get catharsis at the end of the game. The music composition heavily favoring organs and lingering notes only enhances the “seriousness” of the game.

Within the context of Final Fantasies, you often end the game with a sense of accomplishment. Not because you got pixel rewards but because you got to engage in a story of a world that is set right at the end. FFV feels like the perfect saturday morning cartoon and reminds you of being a kid again and just having a whimsical adventure or whatever, with cute colors and absurd villains. FFVI is (deliberately) to feel like a play or an opera that makes you feel things.

Even though both are absolutely amazing for different reasons, FFV beats FFVI because FFV has the job system, and man it loving rules.

I would recommend my kid play FFV any day. I’d recommend they play FFVI when they’re a bit older so they can feel the hosed up parts more deeply.

Also I just really loving love FFV. The most tragic part of FFV is Syldra, and maybe Galuf. FFVI has, gently caress, so many tragic things. The espers, the industrialization of magic, Doma and the train, Celes/Cid, list goes on.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 how much do I need to Venmo you for a mod that increases steal rate and one that makes enemies with Blue magic always use it, and always target the Blue Mage if available

I'm only like, half-joking too

e: getting all 30 Blue spells for the trophy is gonna suck and holy poo poo VI is probably gonna make you get all of Gau's Rages and Strago's Blue magic isn't it