Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bloody Pom posted:

SA right now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Dear Richard? More like Dearly Departed!!!

Zenquin
Jul 16, 2005
drat IT!

I just came back after 15 years, then this bullshit happens.

Rich, wherever you are, you were a really funny and kinda messed-up dude. I miss you and am grateful to you for all of the amazing stuff you helped spawn.
I have never been broken-up over the death of some "Internet person", you would probably have thought me stupid for being so.
I wish I could have helped you. I'm just some guy you banned a few times for autistic foolishness, but you, and these forums taught me so much about people. It was a place where in wearing masks, people could take off their masks and just be the gross, weird, and honest people they were.

Your story should not have ended this way, and I know that 60 years from now I will still be irritating younger generations with stories about Lowtax and the wild west days of the internet.

poo poo. I am honestly crying right now.
Rest in peace you goony bastard.

EDIT: a word

Zenquin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 12, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Yikesaroo II

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

akadajet posted:

I don’t know if I buy that. He looked pretty rough to be faking it. I’ve been surprised before though.

That is fair. I will admit I dont entirely buy that he lied but also he has a history of lying and trying to cover up the truth. There will always be doubt, and theres more than enough other more obvious evidence that he was a garbage human.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

akadajet posted:

I don’t know if I buy that. He looked pretty rough to be faking it. I’ve been surprised before though.

You can throw out the ex gf testimony if you wish but it's pretty hard to argue with an assessment of his spending presented as documentation in a court case.

He definitely looked rough but multiple substance abuse problems and deepthroating tube meat on youtube for 17 people will do that to you

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

lowtax, thanks for getting me detention in high school in 1999 because I looked at photoshop phriday on a computer in the school library. You fucker.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
:yeshaha:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Whelp, that's one way to go out...

Thanks for the forums, it's weird how it became the grandfather of so much Internet poo poo. Lots of cool people drifted towards here.

I only hope the best for his daughters, and family. They're left with a ton of poo poo to deal with.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zenquin posted:

I'm just some guy you banned a few times for autistic faggotry,

You really have been gone awhile

RevolverReach
Nov 21, 2014
haven't been keeping up with this site for a long while now, it's unfortunate to see things have taken a dark turn like this.

RIP lowtax

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
?

Thatsnotverynice
Jun 4, 2019

I'm truly sorry for the kids and women that he victimized. May he rest in piss.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pore tax is daid
Pore Low Tax is daid
All gather 'round his server now and cry
He liked his belly gold
And he wasn’t very old—
Oh why did such a feller hive to die?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Crazy how bad people gently caress up and get lost. I'm sure he and his family all have the peace they deserve.

In the arms of the angels~•~•~•~•®

Zenquin
Jul 16, 2005

akadajet posted:

You really have been gone awhile

Sorry, is the word verboten these days?

GuardHamster
Aug 22, 2003
Roast the fucking lamb, Greek bandit style

Kunabomber posted:

UIUC had it going on, lowtax as speaker, mc chris concerts, numerous goon meets that weren't awkward at all I promise

Man the UIUC crowd was pretty great across the board. Crashing the local high school football game, Halo tournaments, it was a fun crowd.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Zenquin posted:

drat IT!

I just came back after 15 years, then this bullshit happens.

Rich, wherever you are, you were a really funny and kinda messed-up dude. I miss you and am grateful to you for all of the amazing stuff you helped spawn.
I have never been broken-up over the death of some "Internet person", you would probably have thought me stupid for being so.
I wish I could have helped you. I'm just some guy you banned a few times for autistic faggotry, but you, and these forums taught me so much about people. It was a place where in wearing masks, people could take off their masks and just be the gross, weird, and honest people they were.

Your story should not have ended this way, and I know that 60 years from now I will still be irritating younger generations with stories about Lowtax and the wild west days of the internet.

poo poo. I am honestly crying right now.
Rest in peace you goony bastard.

wish you stayed gone, fucker

Rip Rick

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
RIP Lowtax. Shame that you were bad, thanks for the forums tho

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!
I can’t believe Lowtax was in Epsteins black book.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zenquin posted:

No no, keep using it

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Golden Bee posted:

Pore tax is daid
Pore Low Tax is daid
All gather 'round his server now and cry
He liked his belly gold
And he wasn’t very old—
Oh why did such a feller hive to die?

no one suspects the Oklahoma pull

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
my tribute to lowtax will be not being a piece of poo poo who instead of being a normal human being decided to loving kill himself over child support. namaste

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!

Vehementer posted:

I can’t believe Lowtax was in Epsteins black book.

OG Lowtax truther.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I find it disturbing that apparently I'm older than Lowtax. I thought he was older than 45.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Costello Jello posted:

It's pretty sad to see people falling all over each other ITT to try to out-insult each other about a suicidally depressed dead man with children who may read this some day. Especially when it's a bunch of unfunny FYAD-wannabe poo poo. Post-irony got old and boring 15 years ago but it's interesting to see the carcass still being kicked around here.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, SomethingAwful. Had some great times here back in the day. Good luck to everybody trying to make it through a tough world.
lol you loving suck

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

You can throw out the ex gf testimony if you wish but it's pretty hard to argue with an assessment of his spending presented as documentation in a court case.

He definitely looked rough but multiple substance abuse problems and deepthroating tube meat on youtube for 17 people will do that to you

3rd party accounts of court documents that aren’t linked to. And given how vitriolic some people are it’s tough to figure out what is real. I guess I hope it’s not true because I did hit the donation button a few times.

Zenquin
Jul 16, 2005

hotdog feet posted:

wish you stayed gone, fucker

Rip Rick

I love you too. :unsmith:

manboy
Jun 6, 2002
JESUS H CHRIST

After not checking in for over a decade, I wish that any of this was surprising.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I find it disturbing that apparently I'm older than Lowtax. I thought he was older than 45.

Except yeah this. I thought he was 45 twenty years ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zenquin posted:

Yeah we dont really use that word here anymore. SA isnt the toxic place it was 15 years ago. Everyone here matured and accepted that making SA welcoming to everyone actually made the site cooler, and stood it out from the rest of the internet. Plus it pissed off Lowtax cause he wanted to keep it a bigotry heavy dumpster fire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp, the Vice article dropped.

Mostly a straightforward retelling of the facts, then:

quote:

But many lives were also warped and destroyed. One of the most popular forum threads on the site was Groverhaus, the story about a sprawling and bizarre home construction project. Goons were so hungry for more information about the strange house that they doxxed the owner and harassed him and his family for the lolz. The targeted harassment campaigns of Kiwi Farms and 4chan were born and perfected on Something Awful before moving off site. The internet’s general interest in seeking justice via public shaming was fostered there.

Kyanka’s legacy is woven into the soul of the internet, for better and for worse. He hated the internet, the internet hated him back, and it's not clear anyone has learned anything from what he helped unleash.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

TenementFunster posted:

lol you loving suck

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the gently caress

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp, the Vice article dropped.

Mostly a straightforward retelling of the facts, then:

Vice sucks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shame Boy posted:

I feel like the other end of this spectrum is becoming a cult leader and threading the needle between the two is very difficult and rare

It's actually really easy, OP. You just need to let go of that bit of your ego that says everything must be about you at all times.

We should, in general, be absolutely loving proud of ourselves if we manage to create something good that survives and sustains itself without our direct control. It's a metaphorical parenthood -- at some point you have to let go and realize that your child is now no longer an entity which is directly under your control, and just hope that you did a good enough job that they still like and respect you and want to be a part of your life.

I have no idea what Lowtax was like as an actual parent, I hope he was decent, but he failed that test hard when it came to the forums.

Zenquin
Jul 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Yeah we dont really use that word here anymore. SA isnt the toxic place it was 15 years ago. Everyone here matured and accepted that making SA welcoming to everyone actually made the site cooler, and stood it out from the rest of the internet. Plus it pissed off Lowtax cause he wanted to keep it a bigotry heavy dumpster fire.

Thank you, post altered.

Raxkor
Jan 19, 2013

What the actual or implied fuck?!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He looked mid 50's in that hotdog eating video thing, a grim lifestyle will make father time take a bat to your appearance though.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
my life would have been very different if these forums were not around and im sad he's dead.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've been reading this dumb forums for over half my life now and they've changed a lot over the years and the taxman really did not change with them. he was always pining for the glory days of the early years and never seemed to like what the forums actually were for the majority of their existence. he was absent longer than he was active and when he returned he usually just caused problems. he went looking for edgier pastures instead of just growing up like the rest of us did.

but it would be lying to say he never entertained me. lots of his writing and material aged terribly but as an immature teenager it was very funny to me, as im sure it was for a lot of us. the offbeat sense of dark humor he helped cultivate here still shapes the discourse of the internet today. he also ripped off people that worked for him, took advantage of the trust people had in him as the site creator, and abused those closest to him. he never figured out how to change with the times and now he never will. rip bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Faithless posted:

my life would have been very different if these forums were not around and im sad he's dead.

For real. Sad the guy died, and sad he ended up in the state he was in.