Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Sickening posted:

This person has ZERO access to any of this. This person works in the kitchen and barely uses a computer.

So was he using firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

scott zoloft posted:

So was he using firefox

:fuckoff:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

This person has ZERO access to any of this. This person works in the kitchen and barely uses a computer.

Sounds like a security incident that needs CISO level involvement.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Sounds like a security incident that needs CISO level involvement.

Maybe even orchestrated by CISO to show the need to have Sickening work, but not work work, during the holidays.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Now we see why this crazy CISO has been getting the big bucks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the VIPs needs to be moved to a new PC but it appears that he has a weird split with personal/corporate M365 accounts. I think he created a personal M365 account using his work email before the company opened a corporate account with subs for everyone.

His Office apps appear to be registered with the corporate account, but OneDrive and OneNote appear to be connected to the private side of his account. OneDrive says there's almost nothing in storage, but if you switch to the backup tab it shows over a gig. Explorer only shows the private version of OneDrive.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sickening posted:

How can random employees claim your companies domain name space in google workspaces without access to dns? How the gently caress google?

(phone posting) Oh hey, I ran into this (fortunately I was the annoying guy). Turns out that Google creates a shadow domain when you create a Google account (this is not Gmail) with your non-Google email.

There's a way to switch those accounts to googles special domain for this situation (the accounts become like bob%smith.com@googlewhoops.com

If you're stuck, I'll have to find my notes for this.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I hope this is the right thread for this:

gently caress technical interviews/screenings/whatever. I know that companies like them, I know how they can be useful to a team, I know why they exist; they just loving stress me out and then I beclown myself.

I had one on Monday and there were 3 “problems” to solve. The first and third were problems that I’ve literally solved in my current job, and even somewhat recently. The second one was a process I do at least every couple of weeks, but I wasn’t on my work computer so I didn’t have all of my usual tools available.

#1: Got the solution with a single command, verified it, discussed ways to make it more flexible, etc. Unless I totally missed something, I think I nailed it.

#2: A little trouble at the beginning while I grabbed a piece of software I needed, but I also feel like I did well. I taught the interviewer some new info about part of what I was doing, too.

#3: Total loving shitshow. This was another thing that I’ve literally already done, and I objectively failed. I’ve written this script about 5 different times, and I got completely hung up on when to use brackets or double-brackets in Bash, I totally hosed up an if statement, and I spent 5 minutes wondering why part of the code wasn’t running when I’d actually added an echo to the wrong section. Probably also 5 other things that my conscious brain has chosen to block in order to save what little dignity I have left. Just an unmitigated disaster.

I completely acknowledge that a senior-level job needs something beyond “trust me, I know what I’m doing,” but holy gently caress, if my brain could just function at least as well in those situations as it does when I do my current incredibly-boring job, I might be able to give it something a little more stimulating to do.

At least I only had to wait a day for the “we’re no longer considering you as a candidate” email.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m a part of the interview process for our team, and right now our technical interview process is to take an hour to struggle to get the candidate to talk about anything they’ve worked on in the past that is even slightly relevant to the job they are interviewing for.

I don’t like it, but I get why quiz show interviews are so popular, because doing it any different is hard work.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I am doing that ADHD thing where I’m obsessively preparing for a certain set of questions and will be probably very sad when they inevitably do not get asked. Should probably take a break on the kernel and go back to scripting, it’ll be more likely be relevant.

What were the challenges and the title Sonic Dude, out of curiosity?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

unknown posted:

(phone posting) Oh hey, I ran into this (fortunately I was the annoying guy). Turns out that Google creates a shadow domain when you create a Google account (this is not Gmail) with your non-Google email.

There's a way to switch those accounts to googles special domain for this situation (the accounts become like bob%smith.com@googlewhoops.com

If you're stuck, I'll have to find my notes for this.

So we found the account in question due to tracking down the email google was sending this person. We applied pressure to this employee, got them to cooperate, and got access to the random google account.

This account doesn't have a confirmed domain. Under domain confirmation, it says it has 9 more months to confirm or another admin can confirm the domain. So in other words, if you register a google workspaces account under a trial and never confirm the domain, its locked for a year? GTFO of here.

Keep in mind folks, having access to the email IS NOT ENOUGH. You can't reset the password of the account by having access to the registered email account. If they have applied a phone number to it, you are just hosed unless the person helps you out.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

So we found the account in question due to tracking down the email google was sending this person. We applied pressure to this employee, got them to cooperate, and got access to the random google account.

This account doesn't have a confirmed domain. Under domain confirmation, it says it has 9 more months to confirm or another admin can confirm the domain. So in other words, if you register a google workspaces account under a trial and never confirm the domain, its locked for a year? GTFO of here.

Keep in mind folks, having access to the email IS NOT ENOUGH. You can't reset the password of the account by having access to the registered email account. If they have applied a phone number to it, you are just hosed unless the person helps you out.

This is exactly the kind of poo poo that makes me view GSuite as still a not completely baked system, a toy product that I do not want to depend on in a business. Don't get me wrong, 365 has its own quirks and foibles, but generally speaking it's far more likely to do what you expect and ONLY what you expect, and more important it's built to focus on the entity/business first. GSuite, like most other Google products, was built with the attitude "gently caress needing admins, users should be able to do whatever they need" and it shows in every single thing you do on the platform. (I say this often but this attitude made perfect sense for the Google of 2002 with Google of 2002's users, i.e. mostly Stanford/Berkeley grads who could be trusted not to be complete morons - however, it doesn't loving work for the world at large).

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I am doing that ADHD thing where I’m obsessively preparing for a certain set of questions and will be probably very sad when they inevitably do not get asked. Should probably take a break on the kernel and go back to scripting, it’ll be more likely be relevant.

It was basically a config management/endpoint engineering role at a Mac-focused company.

The interview situations were gathering specific files and zipping them to a different location, modifying a specific script in a signed .pkg, and then taking a list of serial numbers and OS versions and calling a fake API endpoint for each serial number that isn’t associated with one of a specific pair of OS versions.

Part of me wants to tell the recruiter “thanks for your time and sorry my nerves got the best of me” in the hopes that I don’t get circular-filed if I apply there again for something else, and part of me knows I should just take the loss and move on. I’ve got another application out with a company that is looking for my exact skill set (even down to a preference for experience with what I’ve been working on every day for the past 2 months), but it’s been a month with no reply so I don’t think that one is going anywhere. I also applied for a security engineer job internally at my current company, but despite 4 interviews, it’s also been almost a month with no response so I’m preparing for that to go the same way.

It’s just a grind, even when my work is relatively specialized and – frankly – I’m drat good at what I do. Since COVID I’ve probably done 10 fairly-serious interviews, with one super-lowball offer (40% less than I make now) to show for it. It’s a rarity when companies even have the decency to tell you they aren’t hiring you.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Sickening posted:

Oh, that's slightly different than what I ran into - I just dealt with conflicting addresses. https://support.google.com/a/answer/11112794

You can register a google account under a non-gsuite/gmail address (a normal thing - username@domain.com) - gets the person access to all non-gmail stuff like calendars/etc. But if you bring that domain over for gsuite/workspace services (or other backend stuff), Google needs to switch the domain to be managed in their identity system from user based.

Which is all sorts of fun, but really all they do is rename the old/problem accounts to username%domain.com@gtempaccount.com since there's no actual email involved and this was they're still usable.

What you went through is stupid as gently caress. On my case I had engineering help to be able to find the duplicate accounts.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This is me not refreshing my emails 20 times a day, waiting for a contract to come in for a new job that they said they would send.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

adorai posted:

you guys def work at hosed up orgs

This was a good post to wander back into this thread on

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

When I interviewed I found the companies standard interview questions are available on the intranet. The initial problem was there are like 14 categories with 5 questions each. When I studied it, I realised I could pretty much apply an anecdote to maybe all the questions in 1 category as the principle behind it was largely the same so I ended up just making notes of "Stuff I did" and colour coding my stories and the categories on post its around my laptop screen as I was interviewed over Teams.

It was so much better having all that prep to hand that the interviewer couldnt see :D

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If the interviewers are any good then they recognize that people get flustered and nervous during interviews, and at least try to suss out the approach you would take to a problem, your general strategy, etc.

My best interviews, on either side, have been when you can get a good conversation going back and forth discussing a topic. Sure some people who dont know what they are doing can bullshit their way through that but usually you can tell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Teams message came in

"Hey can I ask you a question about something"
"Yes"
[30 minutes pass]

Come on man

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

A Teams message came in

"Yes"
[30 minutes pass]

Come on man

this poo poo drives me crazy. people always messaging "hello" THEN start typing their request/question. so now I'm waiting for them to finish and it's like, just loving open with your problem, please.

and you better believe they're all super slow typists.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Thanks Ants posted:

A Teams message came in

"Yes"
[30 minutes pass]

Come on man

several of our folks have their status set to just this "https://nohello.net/"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I just got into an argument with a coworker because I told them at a past job there was an unspoken expectation of working through lunch of after hours. As I was explaining it they just kept asking, "Yeah but what if this... or what if a coworker needed you.... We're a team so...". We have a dedicated person on-call so unless I'm that person I'm not looking at any work stuff once I leave for the day lol. The boss I have now would definitely comp time or money for any work we do extra but I forgot just how much people drink the koolaid. They're much later in their professional careers and have been with the company for over 10 years so maybe it's just an older mentality people have...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

angry armadillo posted:

When I interviewed I found the companies standard interview questions are available on the intranet. The initial problem was there are like 14 categories with 5 questions each. When I studied it, I realised I could pretty much apply an anecdote to maybe all the questions in 1 category as the principle behind it was largely the same so I ended up just making notes of "Stuff I did" and colour coding my stories and the categories on post its around my laptop screen as I was interviewed over Teams.

It was so much better having all that prep to hand that the interviewer couldnt see :D

I finally downloaded Notion and I’ve started organizing my engineering notes, and it’s actually really fun and pretty long overdue!

I’ve written like 5000 words in the past two days. Hyperfocusssssssss

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mad Wack posted:

several of our folks have their status set to just this "https://nohello.net/"

Oh thank you for this, I was looking for this after seeing it a while back, and just recently a colleague and me had to do the dance before he asked his question and I just told him he could skip the formalities and just ask.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I went to Mexico a couple weeks ago and took the week off work. I came in on Friday so I asked the HR lady to cancel my vacation day for Friday since I was in the office.

Looking at my time off history, it appears she canceled the whole week...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whoops. Oh well. Enjoy your 4 extra PTO days.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

star eater posted:

this poo poo drives me crazy. people always messaging "hello" THEN start typing their request/question. so now I'm waiting for them to finish and it's like, just loving open with your problem, please.

and you better believe they're all super slow typists.

I'm not sure why folks sit and wait with bated breath for others to continue and/or finish their question.

Like Slack has a cmd-k keyboard shortcut that lets you switch conversations. You can go back to what you're doing, you don't have to sit waiting.

Also you don't have to instantly respond to people either.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We're looking at another ExpressRoute for DR at the moment. We have two DCs and two Azure regions with a vWAN Hub in both. I'm thinking we'll most likely end up with something like this:

But we'll also end up with two different ExpressRoute providers in our DCs most likely. Anyone done this setup before? Is this even possible without them being from the same provider? We also don't have our own BGP AS, and Microsoft strip private AS with private peering, so do we just have to tell the providers which routes to prepend? Either manually or using tags or something.

Edit: although I've just seen one YouTube saying you can do prepending with private BGP AS if you're doing Private Peering with ExpressRoute. Can't find any Microsoft documentation about it though. Kind of annoying how difficult it is to Google anything to do with Azure compared to googling a generic network or routing problem.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 11, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the VIPs needs to be moved to a new PC but it appears that he has a weird split with personal/corporate M365 accounts. I think he created a personal M365 account using his work email before the company opened a corporate account with subs for everyone.

His Office apps appear to be registered with the corporate account, but OneDrive and OneNote appear to be connected to the private side of his account. OneDrive says there's almost nothing in storage, but if you switch to the backup tab it shows over a gig. Explorer only shows the private version of OneDrive.

You can add extra email identities to a personal Microsoft account, have the vip add a personal Gmail or whatever, make it primary and try to remove the old corpo email. If you can’t, you will have to contact Microsoft consumer accounts support to clean it up.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'll forever have Microsoft login asking do you want to login with user@companydomain.com or your personal user@companydomain.com?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What’s the deal with Office 365 licensing for using their phishing attack simulator? Does only the admin that wants to run one need a license (E5 or ATP P2) or everyone that you want to test against?

Ideally I can just get a single license for myself and a few admins but I imagine that’s “unethical”

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

George H.W. oval office posted:

What’s the deal with Office 365 licensing for using their phishing attack simulator? Does only the admin that wants to run one need a license (E5 or ATP P2) or everyone that you want to test against?

Ideally I can just get a single license for myself and a few admins but I imagine that’s “unethical”

Yeah you just need one for whoever is conducting the campaign. I'm sure they intended for every participant to require a license but that's not how it's working.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Anybody have an Aeron chair here? I am considering buying one new and it is very painful for my wallet, so I at least want to hear reassurances it isn't a total waste. Used options are not much less money with a significantly worse spec.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Anybody have an Aeron chair here? I am considering buying one new and it is very painful for my wallet, so I at least want to hear reassurances it isn't a total waste. Used options are not much less money with a significantly worse spec.

I have it, it's awesome. I got mine refurbished from an online office resaler.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inner Light posted:

Chair thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Aeron's are subjective. I do not like them at all. Seems to be a love/hate thing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yeah never buy retail unless you want that 10y warranty. As said in the chair thread offices are making GBS threads out office furniture at a crazy rate so It's a buyers market but if you want to you can always check all the boxes on a bespoke seat and be the ONLY one who farted on it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I just called one place, they have refurbs that are fully adjustable, but have the old type of lumbar support, for $550 plus tax. New loaded Aeron would run me $1350 including tax. Hmm :-/

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inner Light posted:

I just called one place, they have refurbs that are fully adjustable, but have the old type of lumbar support, for $550 plus tax. New loaded Aeron would run me $1350 including tax. Hmm :-/

You can also look at BTOD, they do Steelcase Leap refurbs.
https://www.btod.com/steelcase-leap-v2

I have one of these for my home office, and so far it seems good. They have Aeron's there as well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Inner Light posted:

why not just get a nice soft recliner at those price points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got a chance to demo Mimecast and man oh man do I wish my company could afford it. Seems SO much better than IronPort or ProofPoint.