Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The idea of eamonn holmes doing a tucker carlson bit is just... very hard for me to take seriously. He's just the doughy guy who does the light morning poo poo where they have someone bring a dog on the show to talk about their pet rescue or whatever.

Like I feel as if he would just make anything he tries to tell you less credible.

Like when Phil Schofield tries to do serious bits and you just remember him fisting a felt gopher for a decade

E:hell, some snypes are just worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Lots of people are reporting fewer poppies on the street this year, and my guess would be people aren't carrying loose change as much/at all.

Less people going into the office too, so less social pressure and also less passing people selling them. I didn't even see a seller until like last Friday because that was the first time in a couple of weeks I'd been near a tube station (I suspect numbers were flagging badly because they seemed to have sent all of the troops freed up from Afghanistan to occupy Canary Wharf and reinforce the one bloke normally uncomfortably sharing the spot at the bottom of the escalators with a busker)

They did have a contactless reader there though, so that gets round the change problem, but I guess the random old boy with a card table outside Asda doesn't get that sort of technology.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Could also be the usual street sellers are typically oldsters and a lot of them are still nervous about going out.
I am not, of course, an oldster :corsair: :chanpop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Well yeah, taken to its logical limit it’s the same philosophical argument over if anybody can be “truly” altruistic

I'm more getting at the point that despite what the right wing nutters say, virtue signalling is like, a really important part of how society works. Doing it isn't selfish or anything, or at least it doesn't have to be, it's a necessary component of social interaction, it describes the concept of politeness, wearing clothing, posture, mannerisms, every facet of everything you do signals to some degree to other people, and most of what we consciously or semi-consciously signal is to some degree based in things we want other people to think about us, right down to things like "hello I am a normal person who values you as another person and want you to do the same to me so I am going to open the conversation with 'excuse me' and smile at you because this is how humans communicate without clubbing each other over the head"

Even the "ideal" use of the poppy is literally virtue signalling, the point of it as a thing you wear is allegedly to demonstrate something like solidarity because it is considered that we, as a society, should do this thing in order to remember the cost of war, that we might avoid it in future, thus remembrance is a virtue, the signaling to others is done to make that thought more meaningful and make it stick, and the act is socially constructive because in so doing it we help to form strong memories of the cost of war and develop an aversion to it.

More generally, it's not terribly surprising but it is still quite annoying that a certain strain of person gets extremely annoyed about "virtue signalling" because they only use that term to describe "virtue signalling that I don't like" and also somehow imagine that it itself carries an inherent degree of selfishness and insincerity. It is entirely possible and in fact, very probable that any given instance of "virtue signalling" is both entirely sincere and also socially constructive, in the sense that society is literally built out of stuff like that, even if it benefits the person doing it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealing-boris-johnsons-talks-with-bp-not-in-public-interest-uk-government-says/

Nothing corrupt to see here. No sir.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Some virtue signalling pillock on Facebook was giving Zarah Sultana grief because she didn't post a remembrance thing until this afternoon. Not enough respects.

As someone else pointed out, the fact that the Labour right are going after Sultana is another sign that the cunts within the party are still in charge.
Notably, there's no great challenge against any of the melty/right wing candidates parachuted in for the last election.

It'd be a spectacularly bad look for Labour if two MPs from minority ethnic backgrounds get recalled for representing 'left-wing views' before Geoffrey "loadsamoney" Cox gets booted mildly chastised by the Tories.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Could also be the usual street sellers are typically oldsters and a lot of them are still nervous about going out.
I am not, of course, an oldster :corsair: :chanpop:

As long as you listen to any of the black/death/thrash/tech/power metal genres, you can pass off as young in spirit

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

As long as you listen to any of the black/death/thrash/tech/power metal genres, you can pass off as young in spirit

I be like that grandad dancing to Thin Lizzy in his Specsavers hearing aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3foxsm6_Y

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I be like that grandad dancing to Thin Lizzy in his Specsavers hearing aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3foxsm6_Y

That guy fucks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

That guy fucks

Not sure what the 'John Wayne' moves are about. I used to have a boss that danced like that at work dos.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea this is all true; I meant ‘virtue signalling’ in the sense of ‘insincerely pretending to have virtue’ that it now often seems to mean, but it’s such a loaded / polluted term at this point that I should have just avoided it altogether.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not wanting to have a go at you because yeah there is a conflict between how the term gets used and the actual nature of the behaviours it actually describes. I use it sometimes too, it is a useful and important concept and I don't think you can really think about how politics works without the concept.

No quarrel with your use of it, if anything I find myself thinking "yes I am virtue signalling, because that is an important thing to do" more over time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Yes I know it is Alastair Campbell but sounds like a delivery of facts rather than opinion.

Thread here:
https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1458557645758115840?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

TACD posted:

Well yeah, taken to its logical limit it’s the same philosophical argument over if anybody can be “truly” altruistic
I'm way too tired, I thought you said autistic and had to reread the post about 5 or 6 times trying to work out if it was a masking reference or what.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
This article is very interesting https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/1458483178658746371. If I had time I'd try and corroborate some of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That is v interesting, I sent it to my film dev missus even though it's already optioned

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lungboy posted:

This article is very interesting https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/1458483178658746371. If I had time I'd try and corroborate some of it.

We gotta start sharpening some guillotines.

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

It's a brilliant article. The other fact in there I didn't realise is that before 1970, trans people could change their own birth certificates, which let them get new ID, get married... It's depressing how much we've gone backwards :smith:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lungboy posted:

I genuinely had no idea of this part:

quote:

“Before we start getting too worked up, can we just remember that for decades and decades you just self-identified, got elective medical care, changed your birth certificate, and lived in equality?”

I didn't realise that as a country we'd actually taken steps backwards with regards to people's rights.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

YT now hides all down votes, i now have to type: "I clicked the DISLIKE button for this vid" every time i dislike a vid.

I wonder how long it takes them to disable posting on vids.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lungboy posted:

Sucks so much

FFS

all the suffering just to protect the wealth of a few posh fucks

(like always, I know, but still)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It (the article at least, idk about the book) does seem to paint a bit of a rosy picture about the past though.

Like "In her book, Playdon reveals that in the 1930s, the media ran stories “predominantly about trans men”, and that “being trans was a mystery and trans women, who were considered far rarer than trans men, were especially mysterious”. " gives an impression that the press were all like "oh wow it's so fascinating and interesting, let's find out what's going on in the spirit of rational enquiry" rather than "let's hound Michael Dillon into hiding up a mountain in Nepal because we want to see a picture of his ding dong so badly, because we, the British press, are trash and will always be trash."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Because my brain is a pile of goo now, I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/obviousplant_/status/1458856224800210945?t=32EOUJGsPheA4Eta_LFnCw&s=19

Laughed, and thought "This is bad for Jeremy Corn Man"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1459087964802322432

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If I know anything about synods it's that being dead never prevented anyone from attending before.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Because my brain is a pile of goo now, I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/obviousplant_/status/1458856224800210945?t=32EOUJGsPheA4Eta_LFnCw&s=19

Laughed, and thought "This is bad for Jeremy Corn Man"

Not sure if that's better or worse than "I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!" which was my first thought.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's the peg leg that's really confusing me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not sure if that's better or worse than "I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!" which was my first thought.

But it's not owned? It's still in the shop.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Queen better not die I want that double jubilee bank holiday.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

I didn't realise that as a country we'd actually taken steps backwards with regards to people's rights.

It's like enclosure, for your body.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Ottojizzmark/status/1458956568314187779

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Just Another Lurker posted:

YT now hides all down votes, i now have to type: "I clicked the DISLIKE button for this vid" every time i dislike a vid.

I wonder how long it takes them to disable posting on vids.

I would guess they won't do that because comments drive traffic and traffic = ad revenue

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lol

https://twitter.com/aidanctweets/status/1459070794206789655?s=21

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's an excellent documentary, to be fair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"When I were a lad, my da kicked me out o' t'house because I said I identified as a Yorkshireman."

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
That looks right up my street. Tonight's viewing sorted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Updated for 2021, Ian Nairn travels by boat along the canal across the Pennines looking at the industrial area of the North, while some angry people we found on Twitter argue that everyone should just stay on the side of the Pennines that they were born on forever and that the War of the Roses was planned by Illuminati doctors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gambrinus posted:

That looks right up my street. Tonight's viewing sorted.

Rosie and Jim has all the same content but also some hosed up puppets

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The trans agenda wants to turn your child into a coal barge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Red Oktober posted:

Oh yes that's essential, if we can't convince the masses to hate any specific minority group we might decide upon, how will we convince them that so many other minorities are also subhuman? It's like a test case for every other group.