Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was mostly just cspampostin 4 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

asur posted:

Are you only planning to interview at Google? Because if so that's a huge mistake that a lot of people seem to make. Not only do you want multiple offers if possible, but interviewing is a numbers game. More interviews means more chances to not get screwed by factors outside your control whether that be bad interviewers, questions you aren't familiar with, etc.

Even if you're set on only Google, which you shouldn't be, I strongly strongly recommend at least doing one other interview before as practice.

Jabor posted:

Interviewing at several places at once is the best plan for sure.
I hear you. I was pretty worn down last night when I posted, so I set aside the computer for the evening and took a break. This morning, I revisited the thread to look at what everyone said, and I agree with it. More choices can't hurt, and if one of them pans out it puts another option on the table. Around lunch time at work, I reached out to a recruiter from Amazon that pinged me about a week ago and I scheduled a quick introduction call with him for Friday. There's a decent chance that I could line up an interview with them as well, I think, once this recruiter stops asking me things like "does 'embedded' mean you do front-end or back-end development?" and gets me into the hands of the "right" recruiter at Amazon for the work that I do. When a company has stuff like Alexa, Kindles, Fire TV Sticks, etc. in their product portfolio, there's a reasonable chance that there are some interesting embedded projects in their internal R&D pipeline.

Google and Amazon are the only two of the big boys that just showed up to my front door, though. Since I'm coming from the embedded Linux side, I don't have as much variety in positions as the typical full-stack dev does. Of course, there's less competition for the types of jobs in my wheelhouse, so I guess it all balances out.

awesomeolion posted:

Another good trick when you just need to loving lie down is to pull up some youtube nerds explaining how they solve leetcode questions. Kenny talks code was amazing but apparently Google yelled at him so he made all his videos private. Anyway there's lots of similar channels. Good luck!
I was doing this when I first got rolling on problems again. About 5 hours of graph algorithm videos and 5 hours of dynamic programming ones really got me on track for those two topics, and the occasional "here's how to solve this specific type of problem" video breaks up the problem-solving grind. What really helps me with those videos isn't the verbal explanations, but the visualizations in the videos that highlight graph edges, rotate nodes, etc. I would have learned this material so much quicker the first time around if content like this had been available.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Been there. Check in with people that know you and see how your personality has been affected. You don't want to do all that effort just to burn out and come across like a walking sad trombone on the big day.
At this point, I think that it is less like a trombone and more like a long, sad, slow slidewhistle. :(:hf::(

hendersa fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2021

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

hendersa posted:

Google and Amazon are the only two of the big boys that just showed up to my front door, though. Since I'm coming from the embedded Linux side,

I looked at the Facebook job openings today and saw at least one opening for embedded SWEs. Not sure what level. Not sure what OS. Having a Facebook offer might help with negotiating with G.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

oliveoil posted:

I looked at the Facebook job openings today and saw at least one opening for embedded SWEs. Not sure what level. Not sure what OS. Having a Facebook offer might help with negotiating with G.

They have oculus?

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

oliveoil posted:

I took a quick look at what Facebook had to offer, and their embedded SWE positions all appear to require relocation. There was a remote-friendly one for a "Linux Kernel Software Engineer", though, so I'll submit an application for that one and see if there is any interest from their end. My background is really pretty solid for that sort of thing, so I'm hoping that it jumps out whoever is screening these things and results in a shorter-than-normal turn-around time. If not, well... at least I gave it a shot, right? :shobon:

Edit: Application is submitted. Let's hope that my uploaded LaTeX PDF resume shibboleth scores me a few "Linux guy" points during the process...

hendersa fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 11, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

hendersa posted:

I took a quick look at what Facebook had to offer, and their embedded SWE positions all appear to require relocation.

It's worth even applying to and interviewing for a job you're not planning to take just to get a competing offer and interview practice, for what it's worth.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Harriet Carker posted:

It's worth even applying to and interviewing for a job you're not planning to take just to get a competing offer and interview practice, for what it's worth.

All of my best and most rewarding interviews were after I "prepped" with one I didn't really care about. Helps get the rust off.

Plus, you never know who you'll meet or what will come of it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I finally got a job offer, same position as dev 1, but like double the salary and remote! Honestly i was interviewing for like a year and half, and this place was only 2 interviews and offered in a week. Excited to work a new industry. personally idk if i could ever do FAANG jobs there's so much grinding and they seem inherently lovely besides pay. Idk if it makes a diff but the interviews seemed a little easier at nationally remote (located out of my city) vs locally remote (still in my city). I'm Chicago and there so many finance bros it's too clean cut

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I finally got a job offer, same position as dev 1, but like double the salary and remote! Honestly i was interviewing for like a year and half, and this place was only 2 interviews and offered in a week. Excited to work a new industry. personally idk if i could ever do FAANG jobs there's so much grinding and they seem inherently lovely besides pay. Idk if it makes a diff but the interviews seemed a little easier at nationally remote (located out of my city) vs locally remote (still in my city). I'm Chicago and there so many finance bros it's too clean cut

Congrats on the new job!

Anecdotal but everybody I know that works at FAANG* has a healthy work-life balance for the most part. The grind is to get in but once you're in it seems fine?

* except for Amazon.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

luchadornado posted:

All of my best and most rewarding interviews were after I "prepped" with one I didn't really care about. Helps get the rust off.

I actually took my current job after getting an offer from a "practice" interview. You never know!

College Rockout posted:

Anecdotal but everybody I know that works at FAANG* has a healthy work-life balance for the most part. The grind is to get in but once you're in it seems fine?

* except for Amazon.

I'm coming up on 5 months at Amazon and my work-life balance is fantastic. Meanwhile, my wife has been at Google for about two years and it's pretty clear management in her area is trying their hardest to grind everyone into a fine dust. YMMV.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

luchadornado posted:

Same. I was much rustier for my first than I expected. I totally overcomplicated a simple coding problem. The ones after were cake.

Taking interviews you're not really excited about also gives you another data point about pay.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every tech major is a cyberpunk holy roman empire. "ooh i've had good experiences in bohemia! praise emperor hanz josef whatever!" "oh i'm in swabia and my life fuckin sucks, hanz joset whatever sucks" - no, the real experience is determined by the megaduke and his own suzerains and the emperor is the first of equals in this swirling political coalition

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
WLB is so different team to team it's almost not worth thinking about if you go anywhere with more than a few teams, in my experience. I'm not sure I'd ever consider WLB in my decision unless I had an offer from a team where I knew someone on that team and they said "You will die here" and I decided not to take it.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every tech major is a cyberpunk holy roman empire. "ooh i've had good experiences in bohemia! praise emperor hanz josef whatever!" "oh i'm in swabia and my life fuckin sucks, hanz joset whatever sucks" - no, the real experience is determined by the megaduke and his own suzerains and the emperor is the first of equals in this swirling political coalition

:lol:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm not sure I'd ever consider WLB in my decision unless I had an offer from a team where I knew someone on that team and they said "You will die here" and I decided not to take it.

This doesn't make any sense. You ask the hiring manager their thoughts/policies/etc on WLB during your placement conversations (or interviews, or w/e) and factor their answers in with everything else. You don't somehow decide that work-life balance isn't worth considering because the company name doesn't alone give you a good read. :psyduck:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I would never trust a hiring manager's answer around WLB lmao. Barring something like a forced vacation policy or an insane amount of holidays scheduled with like full weeks off around the "holiday season" anything a HM might tell you could or couldn't be total and utter poo poo.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I ask about work life balance and hover over the leave meeting button listening for the phrase "we work hard and play hard".

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Ideally you get a chance to ask someone who reports to the hiring manager while they are interviewing you but most FAANG’s don’t interview that way.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I always ask the developers about WLB, but I also haven't interviewed at massive companies much. I also tell the hiring manager that WLB is important to me. If they pass because of that, then good, I dodged a bullet.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

e: nm i misread

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I've been thinking about how to get honest answers about WLB in upcoming discussions with different team managers. My plan at the moment is to ask if they are cool with me working extra if I want to and if they're like ya go nuts then I will avoid that team. If they all say yes I guess I'll go gently caress myself. Any other ideas to solicit honest WLB answers from managers would be appreciated.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I ask about work life balance and hover over the leave meeting button listening for the phrase "we work hard and play hard".

Had a potential manager talk about how their product makes over a billion a year, how they didn't believe they could avoid crunch, and then offered me roughly 1/3 of what I was then making in a less senior role.

Friends don't let friends work in AAA games.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Interview with a multibillion dollar market cap company where they told me they're still a startup so don't expect to work a standard 9-5.

Amazon HM was like "haha you know what industry we're in right?" when one of the reasons I mentioned for leaving an earlier job was that we'd sometimes get surprised with sixty hour weeks and no weekends in order to roll out a new feature to win a new customer, and how I once worked 8am to 1am to support that.

Crazy to think that the jobs I had generally got easier as the pay got higher. I was only making $60k/yr back then.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 12, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You forgot to switch accounts. That sounds too reasonable of you.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Nvm

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 12, 2021

asur
Dec 28, 2012

awesomeolion posted:

I've been thinking about how to get honest answers about WLB in upcoming discussions with different team managers. My plan at the moment is to ask if they are cool with me working extra if I want to and if they're like ya go nuts then I will avoid that team. If they all say yes I guess I'll go gently caress myself. Any other ideas to solicit honest WLB answers from managers would be appreciated.

This isn't going to get you the response you want. Any sane manager is going to let you work more if you want to for promo or whatever until they see that you're burning out.

Just straight up ask about work life balance, how the team handles crunch time, mistakes in estimates, etc. Then compare those answers against at least one person on the team that isn't a manager.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think you're gonna get an awful lot of false positives with that line of questioning

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I would never trust a hiring manager's answer around WLB lmao. Barring something like a forced vacation policy or an insane amount of holidays scheduled with like full weeks off around the "holiday season" anything a HM might tell you could or couldn't be total and utter poo poo.

I feel like this is wrong and that you can trust what hiring managers say in the same way you can trust campaign promises from politicians. Or, for that matter, you can trust candidates when you're on the other side of the interview table.

You can't ask an opinion-based question like "do you have good work/life balance?" because maybe they think 0% life is good (for them). And I would avoid hypotheticals as much as possible because people always imagine themselves as better in hypotheticals. I feel like I've gotten excellent signal by asking behavioral interview questions: "Something I've seen at previous jobs is that Product wants a set of features on a schedule and the engineers don't think they can do it. The engineering manager ends up in the middle. Can you tell me about how you've handled this in the past?" (A good answer is a specific example and how they negotiated cutting features from it.) "I've had colleagues get burnt out and quit after a big push. How have you dealt with burn-out in your engineers?" (A good answer addresses both how they try to avoid it happening but also what they've done when it happens anyway.) "Tell me about your last vacation." (A bad answer is an embarrassingly long pause or laughter.)

So far, jobs I've taken with managers who passed these questions were fine (at least in the aspects that I asked about) and I've had several interviews where the manager fails the question hard and then I feel confident that I don't want to work with them.

asur posted:

Then compare those answers against at least one person on the team that isn't a manager.

This is also a really good idea.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My current employer told me in the interview that WLB was really important and it does no good if I get burned out and leave. I took it with a grain of salt. A few years later - I've only worked a handful of 50 hour weeks, and the one time I did an 80 hour week, I got gently chewed out (and awarded a bonus) :shrug:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Hmm maybe I'll just meet managers and sus out their vibes

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Not sure anyone here would know this but a coworker of mine was hired on recently at Amazon as an L6 and has the impression that he is going to be heavily involved in putting together a team. He has told me that he wants me to join on because there are a few things that I have involvement in that are kind of harder to find outside of a pretty smallish group of people. I am just curious how much leeway someone could possibly have when doing this? I know that with some firms this just isn't the way recruiting is done... I am grinding leetcode just to make sure because I am a little rusty on coding interview type questions and I am pretty sure that I can pass the systems design type stuff fine.

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm coming up on 5 months at Amazon and my work-life balance is fantastic. Meanwhile, my wife has been at Google for about two years and it's pretty clear management in her area is trying their hardest to grind everyone into a fine dust. YMMV.

I have maybe 10 or so classmates between both and it really is dependent on where you land especially about Google. GCP can be pretty brutal or if you are on a team that is more customer facing vs ending up on some internal tooling team where you kind of can rest and vest. This is of course second hand.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 12, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At any large organization your experience is going to depend a lot on your team and manager. Nothing special about Google or Amazon here.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

leper khan posted:

Had a potential manager talk about how their product makes over a billion a year, how they didn't believe they could avoid crunch, and then offered me roughly 1/3 of what I was then making in a less senior role.

Friends don't let friends work in AAA games.

I am so glad to have briefly worked in games if only to forever cure me of ever wanting to work in games.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

At any large organization your experience is going to depend a lot on your team and manager. Nothing special about Google or Amazon here.

Macro vs micro

Macro level, any company with stack ranking and mandatory PIP quotas probably makes the good experiences with individual teams (micro) harder to find

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the cybersynods doing techno-auto-da-fes you mean

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
i don't know what-th-at-me-ans

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Nobody does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought you quit this thread