Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Orenthal posted:

i grew up with lemonparty and so help me god if i'm not part of its sequel

never understood what was gross about lemon party it's literally just guys being dudes

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

wow i only just now got your username

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Schweinhund posted:

I just want to say to all the people who haven't logged in in 10 years, you haven't missed anything.

Thanks. I had four posts in the last 10 years, but didn't really dig deep to see if I was missing anything.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fart

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Too much effort for this rear end in a top hat

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85gft0

since the internet is dumb password is lljk

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Well, he doesn’t have to pay any tax now.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Malaclypse posted:

hello it me!

gently caress'n Airdisc will be up next

Mekaniac
Apr 4, 2002

RIP Lowtax, i thought you were really funny in 2001, and also for a good stretch of the early 2000s. Too bad you were a monster, or turned into one. Thanks for the forums, lots of great people here, etc etc.

FWIW the rear end in a top hat was right: the internet did turn a whole lot of us stupid, it turns out.

Schweinhund posted:

I just want to say to all the people who haven't logged in in 10 years, you haven't missed anything.
good 2 know.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
From early 2000s to current day (rip my original account), I remember virtually every goon I interacted with who had any sort of interactions themselves with Lowtax not liking Lowtax and just tolerating him on the forums.
People making fun of him buying a McMansion and a bunch of 100k + cars with his SA money while also being so cheap/incompetent with his site, or him trying to get free poo poo off of more competent goons like programming or a gaming PC (I remember hearing that he tried to say he needed it for SA, and then when the goon obviously didn't believe it he banned them), and just squandering every INSANE OPPORTUNITY POSSIBLE. From Yahtzee to Bitcoin to Radium to Not Investing/Selling out to NOT EVEN JUST KEEPING AN EYE ON HIS FORUMS AS AN ADMINISTRATOR TO MAKE SURE poo poo WAS GOING OKAY.

I think everyone wants to assume that forums are just on the way out, but SA could have stolen neogaf/resetera's lunch as a centralized video game if he basically did a neutral job. Hell, Resetera has the same absentee owner poo poo going on, except he managed to turn 3 years into 4.5 million.
But I guess just letting the Ozmas and Helldumps of the forums just run it how they want was easier for him. That, and purposely trying to spend $500,000 as fast as possible and gently caress his daughters over just to also gently caress his wife (that he abused).

Then he also made sure to kill himself in a way that he believed would ruin their lives according to that tweet - JUST loving OD AND YOUR DAUGHTERS WILL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE IF IT WAS ON PURPOSE, AT LEAST GIVE THEM THAT YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Eason the Fifth posted:

This thread is the greatest tombstone

Im just here til someone posts the crime scene photos blown up and put on an easel at the wake.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
One time Lowtax banned me for asking for a forum request forum when they were asking for new forum ideas because he'd apparently made the same joke like 7 pages before. If memory serves, that banned account preceded the :10bux: registration fee, so I was pretty annoyed to need to pay to re-reg.

That's my Lowtax story, have a good night folks, stay safe.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

FrozenVent posted:

Dear historians of the future,

Yes this is as dumb as it seems, and we knew it was dumb as we lived it.

Also loving lol at choosing to study something awful dot com for your thesis, loving nerd.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait for the Lowtax Cadaver Synod.

not the first time this joke has been made in this thread. not a criticism... this poo poo moves fast and we're all grim.

speaking of which, as people kept saying a while ago, lowtax delenda est.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know if Lowtax was just innately a lovely person or if he became one over years of poor decisions but it’s obvious he had no desire to try to redeem himself and I cannot imagine a worse ending to this story, especially for his ex wives and children and whatever abuses they suffered. Spoilers below due to things that might be uncomfortable or difficult for people to read

I can only hope Lowtax got to experience RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS before he took his own life. The crisp graphics, life like audio and amazing replayability so that every new game literally feels a brand new game. It’s the hot new game everyone is talking about and you’re missing out if you’re not playing it. I implore anyone to make sure they try it out before taking any drastic actions. Actually come to think of it, if Lowtax did play RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS he probably knew his life could only go downhill which is why he did what he did. Equally as likely is he knew he would never get to play RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS and so took his own life out of despair.

RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Missouri is loving weird as gently caress

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Astounding…

…that this hellsite still exists, it’s exactly the same for 20 years, and (most of) you old fucks are still alive.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

NotShadowStar posted:

Astounding…

…that this hellsite still exists, it’s exactly the same for 20 years, and (most of) you old fucks are still alive.

until the internet stops making people stupid, there will be no rest for us

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
Should have hired Leonard J Crabs instead of spending it all on Pez and Hustler magazines.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

lovely Wizard posted:

From early 2000s to current day (rip my original account), I remember virtually every goon I interacted with who had any sort of interactions themselves with Lowtax not liking Lowtax and just tolerating him on the forums.
People making fun of him buying a McMansion and a bunch of 100k + cars with his SA money while also being so cheap/incompetent with his site, or him trying to get free poo poo off of more competent goons like programming or a gaming PC (I remember hearing that he tried to say he needed it for SA, and then when the goon obviously didn't believe it he banned them), and just squandering every INSANE OPPORTUNITY POSSIBLE. From Yahtzee to Bitcoin to Radium to Not Investing/Selling out to NOT EVEN JUST KEEPING AN EYE ON HIS FORUMS AS AN ADMINISTRATOR TO MAKE SURE poo poo WAS GOING OKAY.

I think everyone wants to assume that forums are just on the way out, but SA could have stolen neogaf/resetera's lunch as a centralized video game if he basically did a neutral job. Hell, Resetera has the same absentee owner poo poo going on, except he managed to turn 3 years into 4.5 million.
But I guess just letting the Ozmas and Helldumps of the forums just run it how they want was easier for him. That, and purposely trying to spend $500,000 as fast as possible and gently caress his daughters over just to also gently caress his wife (that he abused).

Then he also made sure to kill himself in a way that he believed would ruin their lives according to that tweet - JUST loving OD AND YOUR DAUGHTERS WILL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE IF IT WAS ON PURPOSE, AT LEAST GIVE THEM THAT YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MvJAcLZAtw

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.
Goodbye, funnyman.

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
Threads like this make me wish i'd been more active on the forums since discovering SA instead of just lurking out of being too lazy to change my password (and also too lazy to look up what it was in the registration e-mail i got when my friend bought this account for me)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

RIP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

not the first time this joke has been made in this thread. not a criticism... this poo poo moves fast and we're all grim.

speaking of which, as people kept saying a while ago, lowtax delenda est.

Well then please enjoy my picture

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MinorInconvenience posted:

Goodbye, funnyman.

He hadn’t been funny in a long, long, long time.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Goodbye, funnyman.

Oh poo poo did somebody funny die?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I have nothing to add to this conversation

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
RIP

Also 69, nice

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
This wizard seems lovely

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny how all this talk about Lowtax inadvertently changing the course of human history by creating SA caused me to realize that it’s the only website from my youth that I still use, and it predates every other digital function or tool I use, usually by at least a decade.

Something Awful is essentially the Library of Alexandria, but for making fun of gay looking tattoos or photoshops of Ziggy doing blow

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Goodbye, funnyman.

don't let's be hasty

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In a way, he won, having died with a Wikipedia article about him and celebrity news aggregators in Mumbai taking joke tweets seriously and reporting his death as having been from toilet water

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1458991914481504614

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So conflicted, as I'm sure most of us are.

On the one hand he absolutely had his demons and was by most accounts a pain in the rear end to those closest to him.

On the other hand I've slept on goons couches in other countries, still consider goons to be some of my closest friends to this day, saw a goon poo poo off the roof of a high-rise, and very much owe my sense of humor and much of my relationship to internet culture and being a total skeptic of anything I read online to this rear end in a top hat and the community he built and shaped.

This place is absolutely the best and worst of what the internet has to offer all rolled into a cynical hilarious ball but I always respected that Richard did his best to push out the most vile elements and empowered mods to do the same. There was a vision for what SA could be that took a winding path but seemingly always managed to shame the gently caress out of the cesspool of 4chan & pol type posters.

I mostly check in on specific sub-forum threads from time to time these days but coming back to GBS and reading through these posts feels like a time capsule and I appreciate the unique potpouri of unbridled poo poo-posting and earnest and thoughtful condolences.

If any of his kids do read this he was a complicated guy that loved to make people laugh and regardless of the lovely things he did he built something that made a lot of people's lives immensely better. I can only imagine this forum has helped far more people through darkness than it's seen end their journey's in the darkness, can't believe I've been coming back here for 21 years (can I pay to get my original reg-date back?)

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2021

spidjod
May 15, 2003

Justice!
By all acounts Lowtax was a piece of poo poo and did some terrible things, but I still cant help but feel sad about this.

Having been on this terrible forum for almost 20 years, he had a huge impact on my, and a large chunk of people here’s lives, like it or not.

No kid should have to lose a parent like this, nobody should have to lose a friend like this, no matter how lovely they may have been

Its never too late to turn things around, and i wish he could have seen that.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Well then please enjoy my picture

I enjoyed this picture

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

NotShadowStar posted:

Astounding…

Wow reading your name loving lit up parts of my brain that haven't been activated in YEARS! Glad to see you're alive :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did hedrigall post the art. Thats what I'm here for. My friend, I mean. Thats what they're here for.

Also me.

darkpriest
Dec 11, 2000

Condolences to Rich's friends and family. I briefly met him when he worked for GameSpy (I think?) and I was involved in running Quake servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My condolences to his family, especially his children. I hope they receive much love and care.