Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Crazy day. I was out in my local park to look for birds and came up a few minutes after a hiker had interrupted an arson attempt. Luckily this was on a main trail and other people around and a guy was able to use our several water bottles plus some stomping to put out the fire before it had a chance to grow. The first witness saw the direction that the arsonist had gone so I went that direction and saw someone in a ski mask up the hill acting sketchy and ditching some clothes. I was able to get photos with my bird lens that were good enough for the cops to figure out who it was. They slurped my photos onto the laptop in one of their vehicles but couldn't open the .cr3 files, so they got a cell phone snap of the back of my camera and then I emailed them some exports when I got home.

During a follow up call an officer said "I don't know how many times I wish there was a bird nerd with a big camera around" lol.

tl:dr I missed seeing the Canada warbler.

Nice work!

Cool stuff! These two are my favorites. I love the colors.

We've had a wet summer, so loads of flowers bloomed here a month or so ago. Here's a few shots from last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Gyuto Scrub Jay-6669 on Flickr

Gyuto Annas Hummingbird-7404 on Flickr

Gyuto Annas Hummingbird-7424 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Birdwatching by B. B., on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

More like Broadway cooo

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Went and got after it this morning - It's apparently Egret season up here.

That and I got to see a bunch of new birds too - Winter Wren, White Capped Sparrow, White-Throated Sparrow.
I'll have more photos to post soon enough!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This young lady (Sharp-shinned Hawk) almost hit me zipping around the corner of my house then nabbed a sparrow in the neighbor's yard. Shot through a dirty window. One of those crap pics that will probably be my favorite photo this month.

Backyard imm sharpie-8099 on Flickr

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

This young lady (Sharp-shinned Hawk) almost hit me zipping around the corner of my house then nabbed a sparrow in the neighbor's yard. Shot through a dirty window. One of those crap pics that will probably be my favorite photo this month.

Backyard imm sharpie-8099 on Flickr

Very ominous looking I like it.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
A lovely and obliging wheatear couple I came across at the weekend basking in the sun on a hilltop:

I really need to figure out how to use my cameras focus settings.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Back Button focus is the first step imo - it allows you to lock a focus in on one thing and then recompose the frame accordingly.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Owlkill posted:

A lovely and obliging wheatear couple I came across at the weekend basking in the sun on a hilltop:

I really need to figure out how to use my cameras focus settings.

For birds the most important things are

Back button focus and AFC/AI Servo, i.e. decouple the focussing from the shot taking.
Then exposure compensation when shooting aperture/shutter priority.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

For birds the most important things are

Back button focus and AFC/AI Servo, i.e. decouple the focussing from the shot taking.
Then exposure compensation when shooting aperture/shutter priority.

I don't know why, but I could never get used to back button focus and switched back to shutter button focus. But AI servo is the way to go. On my R5 I use one of the back buttons to switch focus zones between center area zone and full frame animal eye detection.

Anyway, there is a Northern Harrier that has reliably taken up residence at a local park every fall and winter for the last few years and she's back again for this fall. She put on quite a show and decided to land 30 feet away from me for a nice portrait.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jerm324 posted:

I don't know why, but I could never get used to back button focus and switched back to shutter button focus. But AI servo is the way to go. On my R5 I use one of the back buttons to switch focus zones between center area zone and full frame animal eye detection.

Anyway, there is a Northern Harrier that has reliably taken up residence at a local park every fall and winter for the last few years and she's back again for this fall. She put on quite a show and decided to land 30 feet away from me for a nice portrait.

I give up, those are astonishing, a harrier would never come this close here.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

gently caress. These are good.

God drat this thread is dangerous for envy and comparison.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Slotducks posted:

Take it as inspiration/motivation to continue improving! :shobon:

Beautiful harrier.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Slotducks posted:

for real. I'm still trying with my poor person equipment though

saw some treegrets on monday.

I spotted this heron from the road and had to stop

also had this tufted titmouse come at me because i was unknowingly standing next to a pile of seeds that someone had left

all of these were taken with a Pentax SMC-M 150mm f/3.5 adapted to a Panasonic GX8; it's a fun and very portable combo. the treegret and heron shots were also taken with a k-mount Kenko MC7 2x teleconverter. I was thinking my dream lens was the Panasonic-Leica 100-400mm, but after using this I'm thinking I just want a Pentax 300mm "green star" for a third of the price.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Thanks for the praise haha. I didn't mean to discourage anyone though... A lot of times it's just a combo of luck, knowledge and perseverance. I knew the bird was in residence at this location, I got lucky that it landed so close to me and I've taken 1000+ pictures of this same bird and it's friends over the last few years, so eventually I was bound to get something really good. Yeah the equipment I had helps but it's never 100% of the equation.

Here's a link to my album of harriers, as you go back in time my equipment isn't as good as my newer stuff, but I was still able to get some good shots even with my old T7i and a 20 year old 1st generation 300mm f/4 lens with 1.4x teleconverter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nuy6WKjxb8TXdmsR7

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Jerm324 posted:

I didn't mean to discourage anyone though...

Oh the envy and discouragement (if it even is that) is all 100% self driven and not a byproduct of your amazing work.

It's inspirational and I (and I assume others) use it to aspire to be better!

For content:
Here's a ruby-crowned kinglet

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2021

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found a patch of Madrone in my local park that's got lots of berries.

Wildcat Madrone Robin-8528 on Flickr

Wildcat Madrone Robin-8631 on Flickr

Wildcat Madrone Townsends Warbler-8877 on Flickr

Wildcat Madrone Varied Thrush-9124 on Flickr

Wildcat Madrone Waxwing-9008 on Flickr

Wildcat Madrone Waxwing-9063 on Flickr

Wildcat White-throated Sparrow-8321 on Flickr

Wildcat Hermit Thrush-8645-2 on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

also had this tufted titmouse come at me because i was unknowingly standing next to a pile of seeds that someone had left

Slotducks posted:

Here's a ruby-crowned kinglet

These are cool!

I saw some lifers today! A Roseate Spoonbill and a Green Heron. Here's the spoonbill with a fish. No idea why it was in Phoenix; it was the only one, and apparently it's been hanging out there this year. Range maps suggest that these don't go into Arizona at all.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
My neighbours ostriches still crack me up, they manage to look so deeply affronted at being watched.

_DSC0426 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

No actual wild birds, the poor A7R doesn't cut it for birds in motion at all.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Next in my series of birding with impractical gear

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

sildargod posted:

My neighbours ostriches still crack me up, they manage to look so deeply affronted at being watched.

_DSC0426 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

No actual wild birds, the poor A7R doesn't cut it for birds in motion at all.

Wow! What do they do with ostriches, and how many do they have?

Megabound posted:

Nice. What impractical gear are you using?

Here are some Rosy-faced Lovebirds down in Phoenix. I love these goofy birds. They mostly stay high up in the palm trees, but they're noisy and colorful. Apparently, the colony started as escaped pets, but they seem to be doing well in the wild.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Megabound posted:

😳 great shot.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

Wow! What do they do with ostriches, and how many do they have?

I honestly have no idea what they do with them - I'm assuming they're selling the eggs, but I'm not sure how many they can possibly be harvesting - they have 3 females and a male along with around the same number of chickens and a few pigs. Very low-scale, low effort "farming".

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

sildargod posted:

I honestly have no idea what they do with them - I'm assuming they're selling the eggs, but I'm not sure how many they can possibly be harvesting - they have 3 females and a male along with around the same number of chickens and a few pigs. Very low-scale, low effort "farming".

Ostrich meat is pretty popular for whatever reason.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

Nice. What impractical gear are you using?

Next I wanna get a bird with my bellows setup. These guys are all very friendly so I don't think it'll be too difficult.

https://i.imgur.com/8FnD0de.gifv

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
These guys are super cute. Their native range is southwest Africa so Phoenix area is pretty similar so it fits them really well.

DorianGravy posted:

Here are some Rosy-faced Lovebirds down in Phoenix. I love these goofy birds. They mostly stay high up in the palm trees, but they're noisy and colorful. Apparently, the colony started as escaped pets, but they seem to be doing well in the wild.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Visited my resident Norther Harrier again, watched her hunt for awhile and finally got her pouncing on a unsuspecting rodent which she spend a few minutes smashing to death with her feets.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That's great, Jerm! Does the Harrier have a consistent hunting ground?

I watched these Pelicans for a little while, hoping they would eventually make more majestic or dignified poses, but they seemed quite content to scratch themselves and stand in awkward positions. Still, Pelicans might be my favorite birds.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Here’s a couple shots of a Rufous hummingbird that locked down one of our feeders for a couple weeks.

That one left and now it’s back to the Anna’s

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Last 3 posts on this page are sick - inspiring!

Here's a really poofed up White-Throated Sparrow hahaha.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

That's great, Jerm! Does the Harrier have a consistent hunting ground?

Very consistent. Been to this particular park 4 times over the last month and a half and she's always been there.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Went shooting downtown yesterday instead of my usual spots in the forest or cemetery.

Crow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

House sparrow by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lake Anza Mallard-9633 on Flickr

Lake Anza Buffleheads-9596 on Flickr

Lake Anza Mallard butts-9666 on Flickr

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm still learning how to use my gear, and don't know how to do any post beyond cropping, but I took these today

Juvenile Australian Magpies playing

Noisy Miner

European Domestic Pigeons

Crested Pigeon

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui jumping around in a tree in the backyard

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Toggle that's a loving great shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lol those fuckers always nest right outside our apartment and their favorite thing in the world is screaming at 1am