Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blackmet posted:

One of my contractors that I'm playing acting manager to did this.

His job mostly consists of entering data from spreadsheets into two systems. He is fine at that. If there's not enough of that to do, he can pull cases and work them, albeit at a speed and accuracy that wouldn't allow us to keep him if it was his only job.

He mentioned that his job can probably be done with an excel macro. We know this. My manager has even mentioned doing it. But nobody has the time, energy, or will to make it happen.

I pretty much told him that it was a great idea, and to never mention it again. I think he understood.

The stupid move is to implement the macro for him and not tell anyone on the condition he spends half of the saved time doing your TPS reports or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

This was from a previous job, but:

I worked for a company that rented an office and had like 8 employees total with 2 of them being my boss' wife and his sister. We had a lot of clients but my responsibility was to just manage our biggest fish. For some reason we had this piece of poo poo QuickBooks windows 95 looking rear end program that I had to keep my time in, and in order to do so I had to import a database of every client. I was expected to accurately put down what I did each day in a quickbooks time reporting app even though my boss could see the changes I was making in git history and even implemented a page for the client to see these changes in our git log. Using this app as the shittiest thing on the planet and I eventually just wrote an autohotkey script to run at 5pm to remind me to make a new entry, as well as one that ran every friday that automated the process of exporting the week and mailing it to my boss' wife (this part was bullshit). We weren't keeping a super tight report on time but I'd typically show up 9am and leave at 5pm and have lunch at my desk. At some point a hair got up somebody's rear end about keeping time super accurately, but I suspect because a new coworker started punching out and in for his lunch breaks people got greedy. I got the talking to about time theft and not showing up at the right time. I noticed my hours started getting tweaked when my paystubs rolled through.

Our big fish client had been making more money than ever and by extension so had we but my boss' wife had so little to do that she started micromanaging people's timesheets when she wasn't pitching ideas that would have been cutting edge in '83 like a lovely virtual avatar / narrated helper for websites or playing dress-up with gremlin-looking creatures in DAZ 3D. I thought "whatever, i'll just punch in with the software's stopwatch feature" but within a week of this I was getting yelled at for making it harder to do the accounting because the Quickbooks software bullshit this was importing into wouldn't allow her to round it to the nearest 15 minute she'd have to adjust it all by hand. At this point I'm thinking "isn't it a bit expensive for me to be doing this? whatever" and I started using a geofencing software to track the time that I spent near my job, so when my script prompting me to punch the time in eventually ran, I could just bang in the numbers. Once again, I'm yelled at for tracking things down to the minute (and proving that on average I spend more than my 40 hours on-site) and I'm still having my paystubs bumped down to 40 or in some wild cases under 40 hours if bosswife was feeling like she hadn't seen me enough and that I must be lying. I was even got a call from my boss on the weekend about how I put in that I shown up at a certain time, but his wife recorded that I actually shown up at a different time. I had no recollection of particulars so in my frustration I just said "if you know what time I come in and leave at so drat well then why do you have me logging it, just loving put it in yourself" and I got a "hmm well uh" in response before I hung up.

At this point I feel like any other goon would have done something about this but instead I just kept showing up, but with a geofencing software installed on my phone so I could know precisely when I arrived on site. In order to oblige with the 15 minute window I started rounding my arrivals down to the nearest quarter of an hour, and my departures up to the nearest quarter of an hour. If I'm going to be accused of stealing time I may as well be doing something that could remotely be construed as such. This goes on for a few weeks when once again a week I worked 42 hours has my times shaved down to 40 hours. I know for drat certain that the amount of time that I rounded that week was less than 13 minutes total, tops. I brought this up to my boss and the best he could do was offer a befuddled "huh weird uh hey honey do you know anything about this?".

Eventually it didn't matter because my coworker kept showing up sick and making me sick, which would in turn result in me going home and my wife getting sick, if my boss didn't let his adopted kids into the office to cough on things when they got pulled out of school for being sick. It got to the point where I stopped showing up for weeks at a time and didn't get any work done in those periods because he didn't believe in remote work where he couldn't look over someone's shoulder despite us having done it in the past for hurricanes and such. The reason this was such a big deal to me was because my wife had recently gotten bowled over by a case of pneumonia when we had to fly to see her mother in the hospital, and since I was the only one with a cellphone, if she had an asthma attack complicated by these extremely preventable illnesses my coworker kept sharing I might come home and find her dead or some poo poo. I told him that I can't keep sharing an office with the only person that routinely gets sick and my boss just said to "settle it amongst ourselves". Then the pandemic happened and everyone in the office was acting like it was fake and not real. I quit via absence. The kicker? Despite my last week being a full 40 hours they docked time from it anyway and in the termination letter they spelled my name wrong and dated it for the year 2009 because it was obviously written by my boss' coked-out wife.

I don't know if there's a lesson to gleam from this but in general the people that are the worst to work with are the people that are most particular about keeping track of your time despite how long you've been working for them or your experience as a whole.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Of course, but there's knowing what the best way to educate someone is and adapting to that, instead of getting upset when they won't read your incredibly long pdf while on a deadline crunch.

If you're going to take it upon yourselves to be educators, then you must also be as flexible as educators are and understand that each person learns differently and some people need hands-on guidance. That doesn't make them stupid, it makes them human.

It also helps if you don't view the people you're teaching as scum.

What if I'm the educator and I view the IT people as scum?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EntranceJew posted:

This is very powerful small family business energy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EntranceJew posted:

I worked for a company that rented an office and had like 8 employees total with 2 of them being my boss' wife and his sister. We had a lot of clients but my responsibility was to just manage our biggest fish. For some reason we had this piece of poo poo QuickBooks windows 95 looking rear end program that I had to keep my time in, and in order to do so I had to import a database of every client. I was expected to accurately put down what I did each day in a quickbooks time reporting app even though my boss could see the changes I was making in git history and even implemented a page for the client to see these changes in our git log. Using this app as the shittiest thing on the planet and I eventually just wrote an autohotkey script to run at 5pm to remind me to make a new entry, as well as one that ran every friday that automated the process of exporting the week and mailing it to my boss' wife (this part was bullshit). We weren't keeping a super tight report on time but I'd typically show up 9am and leave at 5pm and have lunch at my desk. At some point a hair got up somebody's rear end about keeping time super accurately, but I suspect because a new coworker started punching out and in for his lunch breaks people got greedy. I got the talking to about time theft and not showing up at the right time. I noticed my hours started getting tweaked when my paystubs rolled through.

Our big fish client had been making more money than ever and by extension so had we but my boss' wife had so little to do that she started micromanaging people's timesheets when she wasn't pitching ideas that would have been cutting edge in '83 like a lovely virtual avatar / narrated helper for websites or playing dress-up with gremlin-looking creatures in DAZ 3D. I thought "whatever, i'll just punch in with the software's stopwatch feature" but within a week of this I was getting yelled at for making it harder to do the accounting because the Quickbooks software bullshit this was importing into wouldn't allow her to round it to the nearest 15 minute she'd have to adjust it all by hand. At this point I'm thinking "isn't it a bit expensive for me to be doing this? whatever" and I started using a geofencing software to track the time that I spent near my job, so when my script prompting me to punch the time in eventually ran, I could just bang in the numbers. Once again, I'm yelled at for tracking things down to the minute (and proving that on average I spend more than my 40 hours on-site) and I'm still having my paystubs bumped down to 40 or in some wild cases under 40 hours if bosswife was feeling like she hadn't seen me enough and that I must be lying. I was even got a call from my boss on the weekend about how I put in that I shown up at a certain time, but his wife recorded that I actually shown up at a different time. I had no recollection of particulars so in my frustration I just said "if you know what time I come in and leave at so drat well then why do you have me logging it, just loving put it in yourself" and I got a "hmm well uh" in response before I hung up.

At this point I feel like any other goon would have done something about this but instead I just kept showing up, but with a geofencing software installed on my phone so I could know precisely when I arrived on site. In order to oblige with the 15 minute window I started rounding my arrivals down to the nearest quarter of an hour, and my departures up to the nearest quarter of an hour. If I'm going to be accused of stealing time I may as well be doing something that could remotely be construed as such. This goes on for a few weeks when once again a week I worked 42 hours has my times shaved down to 40 hours. I know for drat certain that the amount of time that I rounded that week was less than 13 minutes total, tops. I brought this up to my boss and the best he could do was offer a befuddled "huh weird uh hey honey do you know anything about this?".

Eventually it didn't matter because my coworker kept showing up sick and making me sick, which would in turn result in me going home and my wife getting sick, if my boss didn't let his adopted kids into the office to cough on things when they got pulled out of school for being sick. It got to the point where I stopped showing up for weeks at a time and didn't get any work done in those periods because he didn't believe in remote work where he couldn't look over someone's shoulder despite us having done it in the past for hurricanes and such. The reason this was such a big deal to me was because my wife had recently gotten bowled over by a case of pneumonia when we had to fly to see her mother in the hospital, and since I was the only one with a cellphone, if she had an asthma attack complicated by these extremely preventable illnesses my coworker kept sharing I might come home and find her dead or some poo poo. I told him that I can't keep sharing an office with the only person that routinely gets sick and my boss just said to "settle it amongst ourselves". Then the pandemic happened and everyone in the office was acting like it was fake and not real. I quit via absence. The kicker? Despite my last week being a full 40 hours they docked time from it anyway and in the termination letter they spelled my name wrong and dated it for the year 2009 because it was obviously written by my boss' coked-out wife.

I don't know if there's a lesson to gleam from this but in general the people that are the worst to work with are the people that are most particular about keeping track of your time despite how long you've been working for them or your experience as a whole.

Sue for time-clock fraud.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

EntranceJew posted:

As I was reading this I was thinking this is the kind of poo poo that used to happen like 20 years ago (including the client being a hawk), but then I got to the pandemic part and welp

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

This is very powerful small family business energy.

The size of the client they had is unwarranted for the amount of headassery on display there. They just got ahead of the game for being at the right place and the right time when everyone else in that industry is still reaping what they've sown with glacially paced outsourced firms.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sue for time-clock fraud.

If there is a lawyer in Florida that is willing to orbital strike them for the sport of it with records I could volunteer I'd gladly do so just to set them back, but I don't think the payout would be worthwhile for the resources spent in the end IMO.

I forgot to mention that I didn't even get to forget about these fuckers cleanly because when I was doing background checks for a new job after moving out of state, and one background check company refused to contact this employer directly because they were approached by the background check company in the past and failed to maintain whatever automated personnel verification software on the lovely server in their janitor closet / never updated it with my existence, so it cost me a job opportunity because it looked like I'd just lied about two years of my employment.

Space Kablooey posted:

As I was reading this I was thinking this is the kind of poo poo that used to happen like 20 years ago (including the client being a hawk), but then I got to the pandemic part and welp

This isn't even the worst, most sloppily-run place I've worked sadly. I'm actually the most upset because it went from being a chill place I didn't mind working at even if I wasn't making the most for my time as I could be at more stressful places, until it just suddenly decided to become a stressful place to work for no reason. Aside from the management being a burden I was repeatedly cleaning up after a very old coworker that got hired on halfway through my employment and seemingly never learned from any pair programming or code review session ever but I'd be the one on the other end of a 20 questions game if a deploy went wrong.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EntranceJew posted:

I forgot to mention that I didn't even get to forget about these fuckers cleanly because when I was doing background checks for a new job after moving out of state, and one background check company refused to contact this employer directly because they were approached by the background check company in the past and failed to maintain whatever automated personnel verification software on the lovely server in their janitor closet / never updated it with my existence, so it cost me a job opportunity because it looked like I'd just lied about two years of my employment.

You weren't even allowed to submit a W2?? WTF?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I work for a small freight railroad. Many of the larger railroads have been setting deadlines for their employees to get the vax or get fired. My railroad hasn't... yet. In the meantime, we've had roughly a dozen or so employees have to take off work over the last three months because they've come down with the 'rona. Ever since the vaccine came out, lots of the engineers and conductors have been threatening to quit before they get the vaccine. In the meantime, I've been making decent money because of these people who have to take time off - lots of it unpaid because they don't have any PTO available this late in the year - because I'm a spare conductor that just fills vacancies. I'm waiting for that hammer to fall and can't wait to see who is going to tuck their tails and get the shot. If nothing else, the bump in seniority will be nice.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tex Avery posted:

I work for a small freight railroad. Many of the larger railroads have been setting deadlines for their employees to get the vax or get fired. My railroad hasn't... yet. In the meantime, we've had roughly a dozen or so employees have to take off work over the last three months because they've come down with the 'rona. Ever since the vaccine came out, lots of the engineers and conductors have been threatening to quit before they get the vaccine. In the meantime, I've been making decent money because of these people who have to take time off - lots of it unpaid because they don't have any PTO available this late in the year - because I'm a spare conductor that just fills vacancies. I'm waiting for that hammer to fall and can't wait to see who is going to tuck their tails and get the shot. If nothing else, the bump in seniority will be nice.
I'll bet that almost all of the "you can take my job, but you can never take my FREEDOM to catch corona!!!!!" people are going to quietly change their tune when they're actually staring down the real choice.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MagusofStars posted:

I'll bet that almost all of the "you can take my job, but you can never take my FREEDOM to catch corona!!!!!" people are going to quietly change their tune when they're actually staring down the real choice.

Haven't there already bunch of social media posts of people posting pictures of themselves getting shots holding up sins saying stuff like "I'M DOING THIS UNDER DURESS!" and the like?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Of course, but there's knowing what the best way to educate someone is and adapting to that, instead of getting upset when they won't read your incredibly long pdf while on a deadline crunch.

If you're going to take it upon yourselves to be educators, then you must also be as flexible as educators are and understand that each person learns differently and some people need hands-on guidance. That doesn't make them stupid, it makes them human.

It also helps if you don't view the people you're teaching as scum.

I'm really loving glad I don't have to work IT at you're company of self-obsessed boomers who are so important they can't loving bother to learn anything.

And just LOL that its ITs fault because they can't be bothered to walk each idiot through a process when they had months of emails explaining what was going to happen and why.

I mean I don't even work IT, but I respect their job and I learn the new apps and widgets and work flows because its PART OF MY JOB.

loving snowflakes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LMAO, checking StrangersInTheNight's posts again, and they're butthurt that their CrEaTiVeS are too busy to read emails and expects the TWO IT GUYS in their company to take the time to hold the hands of people too busy to read emails and PDFs or watch videos.

StrangersInTheNight is the manager the other week who included me on an email to their new hire naming me as their "IT Contact" to help with their on-boarding and was confused when I replied with "Uuuuuh, what are you talking about? No."

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm glad I have never really worked at a company with a big IT department I have to deal with, allowing me and my coworkers to focus on the real enemy: upper management/owners.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There's a lot more going on than that and the issues are actually separate but good job once again assuming you know poo poo without listening to people, IT guy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There's a lot more going on than that and the issues are actually separate but good job once again assuming you know poo poo without listening to people, IT guy.

I'm surprised you had time to read a post before you responded, I thought you were under deadline.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm the manager not the creative, that's not how...that's...ok yeah sure alright. Good zing bro, you're so right, and sure yeah also I'm whatever manager you're projecting me to be, if that makes you feel better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No I’m the manager.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Is "managerial" the same as "presidential"?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

~Coxy posted:

This is how we know that "AI" is basically bullshit. Slack, MS and Google have analysed billions of messages and responses and still can't come up with a suggestion that I'd ever want to actually use and probably wouldn't save me any time anyway.

Counterpoint. Earlier this week someone made a Tim Allen Tool Time reference in Google Meet. My first autoresponse option was "Who's that ?"

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I work in a lot of hotels, and have learned the hard way to never let on I know jackshit about network anything or I suddenly become the guest tech support flunkie. gently caress that poo poo.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

mllaneza posted:

Counterpoint. Earlier this week someone made a Tim Allen Tool Time reference in Google Meet. My first autoresponse option was "Who's that ?"

Not an onomatopoeia for the grunting sound?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Escape From Noise posted:

Is "managerial" the same as "presidential"?

I think it's loving fitting here. This guy is a huge dick lol. I guess he forgot to check his previous posts where he doubled down on his snowflake creatives being too important to do their job because they are literally "stubborn boomers". Unbeleivable.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
In 2019 I was at this startup. The company had been around for 8 years, I had been there for one. A co-worker/friend and I were out of town in Atlanta and got a last minute all hands meeting invite, required to be there in person. I made some calls and they postponed it until the day my friend and I came back. We get back to work and all our remote and on-site peeps are there. C-level explains how things aren't going so well with the product (mind you, this is after they laid off 1/3 of their dev team and hired 5 more sales people) and they wouldn't be able to keep going with current staff. The CEO concluded saying "In a few minutes, some of you will be getting an email instructing you to go the WeWork conference room we have across the street. The rest of you stay and speak with HR." and he got up and walked out with the other 3 C-staff.

This all happened in about 5 minutes. We sat and looked at each other, like what the gently caress. Then some peoples' phones started blooping with email notifications and they silently shuffled out of the building. The rest of us stayed and got fired, about 60% of the staff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not have a good this week in terms of what I am asked to do as a manager so I'm gonna drown myself in distractions which only means next week is gonna suck even worse when I have to immanentize the eschaton.

MagusofStars posted:

Every single study done like 30% of people said "Yes, I'll quit my job over vaccine mandates" and every single company that implemented it had sub 1% actual quitting over it. Turns out these fuckheads are just loud as hell and only respect force like they've been telling us for years.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

My anti-vax, lizard person believing, fundy Christian uncle just retired at 62 rather than get the vax.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I did not have a good this week in terms of what I am asked to do as a manager so I'm gonna drown myself in distractions which only means next week is gonna suck even worse when I have to immanentize the eschaton.

Every single study done like 30% of people said "Yes, I'll quit my job over vaccine mandates" and every single company that implemented it had sub 1% actual quitting over it. Turns out these fuckheads are just loud as hell and only respect force like they've been telling us for years.

The thing is, a lot of those companies allowed pretty lax "religious" or medical exemptions and people gamed that system instead. It's happening at my federal government job right now, EEO is swamped with that poo poo. For most of them there was a way out that wasn't the shot or quitting.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol. Jesus. These loving people. I stopped going to to a bar near my place because of the Trump lovin' Australian who bragged to me about not being vaccinated last time I saw him.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Lol. Jesus. These loving people. I stopped going to to a bar near my place because of the Trump lovin' Australian who bragged to me about not being vaccinated last time I saw him.
If you're from Winnipeg I know exactly who you're talking about.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Is this guy from Kalgoorlie? Beefy red-faced fuckwit, maybe in his 30s? A few years ago in Calgary I nearly got into a bar fight beaten up by some idiot Australian who was so upset with the notion that he might be somewhat distantly related to Australian Traditional Owners and Africans and the rest of humanity he wanted to punch my lights out. White as sheet but absolutely adamant he was Australian and his family had always been Australian. Up until that point, I'd never heard 'I'm not related to no loving monkeys' in the wild. I can see that guy ending up in Toronto.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I thought Escape From Noise is in Japan?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm in Osaka. That's...weird. He's a dude in his mid 20's.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah theres more than one of those fuckwits, like entire towns fulla them.
My loving idiot grade school dropout coworker still hasnt gotten vaxxed, and Im about at the point where I tell my AGM that I refuse to work with her until she gets it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EntranceJew posted:

The size of the client they had is unwarranted for the amount of headassery on display there. They just got ahead of the game for being at the right place and the right time when everyone else in that industry is still reaping what they've sown with glacially paced outsourced firms.

If there is a lawyer in Florida that is willing to orbital strike them for the sport of it with records I could volunteer I'd gladly do so just to set them back, but I don't think the payout would be worthwhile for the resources spent in the end IMO.

This isn't even the worst, most sloppily-run place I've worked sadly. I'm actually the most upset because it went from being a chill place I didn't mind working at even if I wasn't making the most for my time as I could be at more stressful places, until it just suddenly decided to become a stressful place to work for no reason. Aside from the management being a burden I was repeatedly cleaning up after a very old coworker that got hired on halfway through my employment and seemingly never learned from any pair programming or code review session ever but I'd be the one on the other end of a 20 questions game if a deploy went wrong.

Morgan and Morgan does tons of wage and hour cases in Florida. If you’re in south Florida Richard cellar legal is decent. In central Florida Carlos leach is decent. If you’re a higher wage earner and owed a decent amount I’d go will Jill Schwartz.

All of them will do free consultations and work on contingency

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EntranceJew posted:

loving sue, dogg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I see him he's a dead man. I will fight any grown adult in Japan whose part of the remaining 10%.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Improbable Lobster posted:

loving sue, dogg

Seriously. Even a lot of red states have laws that go apeshit about time fraud. One of the few protections a person has.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
worked for 2 years doing child care and didn't get paid for it because the person who employed me kept saying "yeah i called and left them a message" and then being told later on by them that they were waiting on my papers in another place to be processed, and then saying those papers were wrong or some poo poo and needing me to do them again, and repeating in an endless loop.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Barudak posted:

If I see him he's a dead man. I will fight any grown adult in Japan whose part of the remaining 10%.

Show us your hanzo steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Tex Avery posted:

The hammer finally dropped yesterday morning. We have until January 4 to be vaxxed because the legal department interpreted all of us as federal contractors because we move military equipment trains occasionally! Their workaround is that after January 4, everyone who isn't vaccinated is getting a weekly nasal swab test, administered on site.

Everyone who is vaccinated before then gets a $1500 bonus. Hell yeah.