Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

"If you want to find hell with me, I can show you what it's like"

Whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm optimistic! Things are really turning around for Tessa today.

She's smiling again. That's a good sign, right?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Thinking "oh this is bad" while cheering loudly for how good the new look is.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

kokoro's agent bursting into the room: HP bad news someone's gotten an even cooler outfit so you gotta go through some life change ASAP

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

A Sometimes Food posted:

"If you want to find hell with me, I can show you what it's like"

Whelp.

Tell your children not to walk my way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

kokoro's agent bursting into the room: HP bad news someone's gotten an even cooler outfit so you gotta go through some life change ASAP

"HP, we're going to have to step up our game if we want to compete with this new outfit. Do you think when we announce your team up you can act like you and miss Wells might become a couple?
"Not a problem."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's some really interesting symbolism in that giant ribbon that wraps around and seemingly holds her arms at her sides.

Also, very slick that Tessa's hair now covers Goops' missing eye. I think we're probably gonna get quite the moment when it's revealed to someone.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I bet since goop's eye is missing there, that one is just Tessa's normal eye. Good way of showing that Tess is now half goops.

Maybe this amalgam needs a new name. Toops?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1458830925484150793

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I did not expect “2016 was five years ago” to be a punch in the gut for how old I am, but here we are

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I did not expect “2016 was five years ago” to be a punch in the gut for how old I am, but here we are

What's really messed me up is that the comic itself started in 2015, which both feels way further away and also "just last year"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

rannum posted:

What's really messed me up is that the comic itself started in 2015, which both feels way further away and also "just last year"

What??? gently caress

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm not a super fan of the Dark MG twist but I trust Cube to execute it well

Already lampshaded that Goops doesn't seem all that mature, and I don't think there's much fiction exploring "so hey uh manipulating people isn't as trivial as I thought it would be, turns out motivations are complex yo" from the MG antagonist side. Shades of Cassidy's own complex: maybe the anime you thought you were starring in isn't. And we still don't know what Mark is up to.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'd love it if Goops started getting dragged around by Tessa like the dog that caught the truck.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I think Goops might have gotten more than she bargained for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just realized that I hadn't been keeping up with this for the past year and a half. Man it hasn't made much progress. I got caught up in like 30 minutes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s a twice-weekly comic with occasional delays because the author/writer is a human with human problems to deal with, I’m not exactly sure what you want from it.

Also a hell of a lot has happened in the three-ish chapters in that time.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just realized that I hadn't been keeping up with this for the past year and a half. Man it hasn't made much progress. I got caught up in like 30 minutes.

i can also quickly read art that takes a lot of time to make. im special

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Please just take like 20 seconds on each page to appreciate the good good art in this comic. It's easy to fall into the habit of scanning a page for dialogue and continuing on but it's not a good way to read comics.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

thechosenone posted:

I'd love it if Goops started getting dragged around by Tessa like the dog that caught the truck.

Goops wants revenge against the Woman in White for unnnamed, presumably personal, grievances.
Tessa is now aware of her behavior, and wants to correct injustices she caused wherever they're found.

Guess who's drivin', Goops.

ronya posted:

Shades of Cassidy's own complex: maybe the anime you thought you were starring in isn't.

It's funny you bring Cassidy up, actually. After listening to the songs mentioned during this whole scene, something occured to me which is way more obvious in retrospect:

The knight who jilted Undine's pretty drat dead, isn't she?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

sirtommygunn posted:

Please just take like 20 seconds on each page to appreciate the good good art in this comic. It's easy to fall into the habit of scanning a page for dialogue and continuing on but it's not a good way to read comics.

I devour each page as soon as possible, but then it's good to go back and re-read it more than once, because not only will you appreciate the art but Mary is really good at tucking details and hints in there - like if you don't spend the time it's easy to miss the stuff in the barrier, or the text hidden in the borders, or worse yet, you might not have noticed eggbaby.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Niton posted:

Goops wants revenge against the Woman in White for unnnamed, presumably personal, grievances.
Tessa is now aware of her behavior, and wants to correct injustices she caused wherever they're found.

Guess who's drivin', Goops.

exactly, right? Tessa's problem was impostor syndrome up the wazoo: the desire to be special, the intense guilt about specialness, vacillating between lashing out in resentment over the burden and demanding recognition of that self-concept

what does one really expect from taking this and cranking it up to 11 with even more power and a righteous mandate for an even more ambitious campaign against heaven the Founder herself

besides the surface desire to give the WiW a bloody nose, it's not much compatible with a campaign of personalized vengeance

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 12, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So going back to Cassidy, Goops tells her it’s too bad Cassidy is “hers”, which would the WiW.

My assumption is that forcing Tessa to lose her powers was the plan along, as losing your powers severs whatever connection you have to WiW and allows Goops to do her thing.

However, that makes her plan really contingent on a lot of variables. Like Undine living longe enough for Tessa to save her, or Tessa knowing to even trying that to begin with. I assume the actual plan was to just keep throwing super monsters at the team until Tessa burned herself, or maybe she needed SOMEONE to burn out and Team Alchemical was the ones that presented an opportunity.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Murdering teams until you eventually find one where the last surviving member snaps and falls to the darkness is a good long-term strategy if you’re okay with a body count. I’d guess that Tessa is probably just the right person at the wrong time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Goops seems to have a personal direct antipathy towards Undine as well, which doesnt quite gel with the above theories.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's possible that Goops had always had her eye on Tessa due to her big magic potential, but when she became a magical girl she was then out of her reach. That the attack in chapter 2 was just Goops lashing out, that happened to resolve in a way beneficial to her.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

That theory is interesting because magical girl powers seem to go away once they become adults, so Goops needing to target girls with magic potential before they age out but being unsure who to target because she doesn't have the ability to see potential in girls like WIW can makes sense.

It also seems like Goops' whole getting-inside-you thing may need to be voluntary or otherwise be very difficult to pull off, because she says that it failed before with Anemone. It seems like it worked because of Tessa's pre-existing self-hatred and apathy that could be manipulated towards her goals.

Needing them to be familiar with and have some kind of frustration with WIW may also be a prerequisite.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Makes you wonder why she once saw potential with Anemone. She too seems awfully hung up on the WiW though in a less hateful way. Maybe Goops once thought she could twist that around.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was actually wondering if what Goops meant by Anemone was lesss "she was a previous failed project" and more "Anemone can barely handle omniscience; also i'm a jerk and she's a loser lol" or if she was, in some more round about way, to the girl in white what tessa is to goops right now.

Because it's pretty interesting that Anemone knows fully about the White & isn't affected at all by memory shenanigans when even Tessa looking & speaking directly too her was getting headaches when trying to be more specific about her, to the point where Anemone can exposit about it as a smoke screen to get away, but has trouble knowing what's going on with goops and the golden familiar whose presences seem relatively new (at least to her).

Anemone's another one of those characters I'm eager to learn more about it in general. I remember being stunned when she actually interacted with the comic and talked ot Tessa and wasn't just a vague interstitial-only character (that also happened to be someone in-universe). Like by all counts she probably spends her entire time, alone (EXCEPT FOR US OHOHO) in her house, has a strong attachment to White, a wayward comment about how "no one listens to her anyway" and how no one would understand what she means, and various other musings on things like the barrier and if [the town] are all thats left out there. She's clearly got Thoughts and History, what's your deal girl.........

Also fun fact

the profile page posted:

My name is Anemone, just so you know. It's in the tags. Maybe someday it'll be in this stupid comic.
I believe that goops little aside about Aneomone is the only time its been mentioned unless you count this joke https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

Also fun fact

I believe that goops little aside about Aneomone is the only time its been mentioned unless you count this joke https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial

There is one other occurrence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The character poll results are in!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The Gooptessa has arrived!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like that Page 3 Camera Man got written in 6 times.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Now that I thought no about it, will goop Tessa lose her powers at 18 or whatever? Like I dunno if she'd live that long like this but otherwise I don't see Goops wanting to leave unless she was forced to.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Now that I thought no about it, will goop Tessa lose her powers at 18 or whatever? Like I dunno if she'd live that long like this but otherwise I don't see Goops wanting to leave unless she was forced to.

Tessa's still in middle school so Goops in the grand scheme of things has another like 4 or so years like this.

But I imagine this is something Goops would want resolved in like, a couple months, not across several years.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Things usually move quite quickly once somebody stares down into the abyss long enough for it to prop a ladder up.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Goopy-T's sleeves poof out when she crosses her arms.

The character polls are pretty consistent at this point. I bet Tessy-G even keeps that position unless Bud knocks them back to #6.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
No I'm pretty sure Tessa G will be popular from presence if nothing else. I will never put her Higher than Zoe though (or Cassidy, which I'd love nothing more than to have seen in a comic getting isekaied to Kingdom Hearts.

She'd be part of the Other Radiant Garden Restoration Committee with Barret, Red XIII, and Cait Sith, and her rival would be her other half and yesIhavethoughtaboutthistoomuchwhydoyouask?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If polling opened the same day chapter 18 ended, Tessa would've been #3 easy. I don't think anybody's ever getting higher than that though, 1 and 2 seem pretty fuckin' locked for the rest of this comic's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mary Cagle herself got more points than Miss Cable.