Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe i'll just look up protag names on the wiki and mash 2 together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm doing a gimmicky Nahobino build where I'm trying to only give him his unique skills. It actually forms a pretty well rounded character so far (up to the 5th unique skill), which is neat.

Yeah there is at least one skill for magic/physical/support/ailment so no matter what you pick you can get some pretty good stuff.

What the hell, I'll list them here so people can more easily make decisions:

Type 1: Aramasa: 8 weak physical attacks to 1 foe. Great for crit fishing
Type 2: Miracle Water: Basically a Media
Type 3: Sakanagi: Medium Almighty Strength-based attack to 1 foe. Probably the best single-target physical attack early on if you're not aiming for an elemental weakness/have crit up
Type 4: Ruinous Thunder: Tier-3 thunder spell.
Type 5: Kannabi Veil: Reduces damage to all party members until next turn. Absolutely fantastic for dealing with buffed AoEs and such.
Type 6: Divine Arrowfall: Heavy Almighty attack to all foes. Really nice crowd clearer where you don't have to worry about elemental weaknesses.
Type 7:Wrath Tempest: 8 weak physical attacks to random foes. Improved damage when Critical. Basically a pure upgrade to Aramasa unless you were trying to target one specific foe.
Type 8: Profaned Land: Heavy Dark attack with a chance of poison. A good solid magic spell and it comes with Great Curse Siphon/Poison Adept if you want to spec that way.
Type 9: Thalassic Calamity: 3-7 weak ice attacks to random foes. Multi-hit goodness for a magic user that can often outdamage single targets when buffed.
Type 10: Revival Chant: Summons 1 demon at full HP, works on dead party members as well. This is okay but mostly if you want to use a slot on instantly bringing back a dead demon in 1 turn instead of having to sack two turns.
Type 0: Murakuno: Severe Strength-based Almighty attack to one foe, bonus damage on Critical. This is the big nuke. Works on everything, does hilariously huge amounts of damage, basically your best attack as a phys build in a lot of circumstances.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't recall if I've ever followed his content. He comes up every now and then on r/megaten and when I asked about him I was told he's kind of one of "those" SMT fans, the ones who hate Nu Persona and say "play a real Shin Megami Tensei game."

Is he any good? I don't really know any YT folks who cover SMT.

One of his latest videos is called "Persona 4 is a Timeless Classic" You probably shouldn't put so much trust in randos on the internet. I don't really think he's good or bad though, his videos work better when he's working with someone else, by himself it's just some kinda boring kinda insightful talk about a series he knows pretty well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just so I understand, when an enemy is gathering Magatsuhi, does that mean the next turn's worth of attacks is all 100% Criticals? And if yes, how do I mitigate this?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't recall if I've ever followed his content. He comes up every now and then on r/megaten and when I asked about him I was told he's kind of one of "those" SMT fans, the ones who hate Nu Persona and say "play a real Shin Megami Tensei game."

Is he any good? I don't really know any YT folks who cover SMT.

I like him, but I can see why someone wouldn't. He's very well reasoned with his negative criticisms. I recommend his Nocturne and IV reviews. He really doesn't like Persona 3, but he doesn't ever give a "play a real SMT" vibe. He doesn't even hate Nu-Persona, it's more specifically P3 and P5, he loved P4. It's been a while since I saw those reviews but the criticism I mostly remember from the P5 review was he didn't like how paper thin the characters were and much the writing kept repeating itself in case you forgot what they said five minutes ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

Just so I understand, when an enemy is gathering Magatsuhi, does that mean the next turn's worth of attacks is all 100% Criticals? And if yes, how do I mitigate this?

Yes, that is exactly it.

Early on your choice is either go all-out and kill the enemies before their next turn or spend the turn buffing your defenses. If you have them this is the ideal moment to use a Dampener. (Spyglass lets you see the attacks they do and it's usually relatively easy to guess what attack is their big one, though this is only worthwhile on bosses.) Remember that Guard not only reduces damage but prevents enemies from getting weakness bonuses.

Gameplay mechanic spoiler only

Later on there is a Miracle you can get which causes any dodge or nullification to instantly revoke the enemy's crit bonus which makes the Dampeners even more useful.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like him, but I can see why someone wouldn't. He's very well reasoned with his negative criticisms. I recommend his Nocturne and IV reviews. He really doesn't like Persona 3, but he doesn't ever give a "play a real SMT" vibe. He doesn't even hate Nu-Persona, it's more specifically P3 and P5, he loved P4. It's been a while since I saw those reviews but the criticism I mostly remember from the P5 review was he didn't like how paper thin the characters were and much the writing kept repeating itself in case you forgot what they said five minutes ago.

???

I love Persona 4 but the idea that it doesn't repeat itself to eternity or that the characters aren't paper thin outside of their social links is pretty ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 12, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

going ot use my gigantic brain and say p4 was their entry to the series or an early play

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you prefer p4 to p3 I can safely categorize you in my head as a normie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

One of his latest videos is called "Persona 4 is a Timeless Classic" You probably shouldn't put so much trust in randos on the internet. I don't really think he's good or bad though, his videos work better when he's working with someone else, by himself it's just some kinda boring kinda insightful talk about a series he knows pretty well.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fair enough, although now I'm intrigued why he would only like P4. I love P4, and don't like 5, but why hate 3?

Also since you mentioned my arch-nemesis SMTIV, I had to look up his video on it. I didn't watch it yet, I don't have time right now, but I don't think anything about IV is a "masterpiece." Quite the contrary. But I'll give his opinion a fair shake later on.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is exactly it.

Early on your choice is either go all-out and kill the enemies before their next turn or spend the turn buffing your defenses. If you have them this is the ideal moment to use a Dampener. (Spyglass lets you see the attacks they do and it's usually relatively easy to guess what attack is their big one, though this is only worthwhile on bosses.) Remember that Guard not only reduces damage but prevents enemies from getting weakness bonuses.

Gameplay mechanic spoiler only

Later on there is a Miracle you can get which causes any dodge or nullification to instantly revoke the enemy's crit bonus which makes the Dampeners even more useful.

???

I love Persona 4 but the idea that it doesn't repeat itself to eternity or that the characters aren't paper thin outside of their social links is pretty ridiculous.

I think it's more stuff like this which makes P5 stand out

These totally worthless characters like the SIU Director who show up relentlessly to vomit exposition. I'm still trying to figure out why a random high school principal was part of a conspiracy to take over Japan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SIU Director is finally going to get his chance to shine in persona 5 arena

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

p5 ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think anything about IV is a "masterpiece." Quite the contrary.

this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

flung to wastebin

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

flung to wastebin

dont sighn your posts :D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am preloading digitally because of the violence of my local store having their physical shipments delayed. This is the one thing I didn't want to happen

Just to make me saltier the people who pre-ordered at that store are getting free steel book upgrades. gently caress! rear end

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

marsh and nyarly are the only SMTubers i watch..theyre good. imo.

marsh's SMT nine vid was epic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marsh is probably my favorite. Just simple quick overviews of the game, no real analysis but enough color to keep it interesting.
Rasen Bran is mostly a let's player but his vid on smtv is pretty close to how I feel, especially about apocalypse
https://youtu.be/LsTXOhviIs8

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I loved Persona 3 because it came out when I was a teenager. I hated Persona 5 because it came out when I was 30.

Actually, none of that may even really matter, I think I just hated Persona 5 because everybody in that game is a dumb whiny little baby.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just got an e-mail from Best Buy at 11pm that my pre-ordered steel book version is taking "longer than expected" which I assume means it won't be at the store tomorrow. Now my finger is hovering over the cancel button because tomorrow is the only free day I'm gonna have to play for a while, but it will be the only US-released SMT game I won't have a physical copy of.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Spent like 13 hours in the first area of the game on hard mode. I was going kinda slow and being very thorough. Game is satisfying, but frustrating as usual.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Spent like 13 hours in the first area of the game on hard mode. I was going kinda slow and being very thorough. Game is satisfying, but frustrating as usual.

Ok, this is the piece of information that’s going to get me to start on normal.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the past I've sort of described myself as a "story first RPG player." But to be more exact, I'm a character first player. I guess, after watching some of these SMT videos like the one Gaius linked or SD's SMTIV video, this is the long and short of why I love the games I do. I've also had a real itch to replay Xenogears these last few days on account of an effortpost I made about why Grahf is my favorite RPG villain ever. Nearly 2 decades of RPG playing has really shown me that Xenogears' gameplay is meh, and its dungeons are even worse. Yet I will struggle through both of these things because I love the characters so much. Same principle for Persona 2 IS. All my favorite games ever have a cast of characters I'm emotionally invested in.

That's part of my frustration with Nocturne. I don't dislike the characters. I'd love more scenes with Chiaki or Takao or anybody, really. When people talk about the actual memorable story bits of Nocturne, it's stuff like Chiaki's Yosuga speech, or the plight of the Manikins. The Manikin saga is the most compelling, developed part of the game and that is why Futomimi and their deaths is far and away the most emotional Nocturne ever really gets.

I don't even need much, just enough to sink my teeth into and competently written.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does V ask for a first and a last name? And do they label it as such or leave it up to you to puzzle out if they swapped around given and family names for the English release?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Does V ask for a first and a last name? And do they label it as such or leave it up to you to puzzle out if they swapped around given and family names for the English release?

First and Last name, 8 characters each. But it seems like they'll just call you Nahobino for the most part.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Was this supposed to drop at 12 est?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I thought so, but I cant play yet either. :( I guess we are waiting until tomorrow?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Games a very inconsistent whether they drop at midnight or the following morning and nintendo never tells us

Something they drop like 20 minutes after midnight for no reason

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm seeing some people say midnight PT

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I'm seeing some people say midnight PT

:(

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mine just went from "can't play, go to the shop?" to "can't play, check back later, restarting or going to the shop will not change this" so I think it's doing the equivalent of Steam decryption. Which suggests soon?

edit: nope, went back. I'm going to bed

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 12, 2021

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Aerox posted:

Ok, this is the piece of information that’s going to get me to start on normal.

The first area is pretty long, don't be misled. But yeah, don't play this game on hard if you don't know what SMT is like. I'm not sure how it compares on normal, but any boss (or even mini-boss) on hard is probably going to require you building a team of demons specifically designed to counter them. HP pools are high, and they will one shot you if you don't prepare the correct buffs/resistances and defend when they charge their meter.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

tracecomplete posted:

Mine just went from "can't play, go to the shop?" to "can't play, check back later, restarting or going to the shop will not change this" so I think it's doing the equivalent of Steam decryption. Which suggests soon?

The shop still says it’s not out yet, so I doubt it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

tracecomplete posted:

edit: nope, went back. I'm going to bed

nah thats just it yelling at you for spamming

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
3am est apparently

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

neongrey posted:

nah thats just it yelling at you for spamming

That's the worst feature I've ever heard of

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Detective No. 27 posted:

it seems like they'll just call you Nahobino for the most part.

Either that or "Young Man".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Nintendo, let me have my video game you coward.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This whole time I was under the assumption I would walk up to a gamestop and purchase a copy of this video game.

I've been slowly realizing that may not happen.

I work at a best buy and we got (1) copy of it.

I'm gonna go to gamestop when they open since I got money there, but at 1am I, well, that 1 copy in our store...

https://twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/125437560418865152

edit: saw an unboxing video and nahhhhhhhh, if it had the DLC included i'd bite, but at this point, i'm better off either getting lucky with gamestop or just buying digital

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 12, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I name all smt protags memento mori because it sounds japanese and the persona 3 intro has it all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk sounds like latin to me