Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Or just keep melding sprues down until it's a good consistency?

Pretty much this, it takes a bit to dissolve so just keep adding a little more until it feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Sab669 posted:

Decided to hit the model with the can anyways.

Didn't really seem to do much to the detail -- I wouldn't expect it to, I mean the idea is you seal your minis after painting it with this stuff, yea? But it certainly didn't fill any gaps either.

^is there any consensus on plastic cement : sprue ratio? Or just keep melding sprues down until it's a good consistency?

Depends on which Stormwall you have. Do you have the older metal/resin one, or the on sprue plastic one? If you have the old metal/resin one, the sprue goo will probably not bond very well. If you have the plastic one, give it a shot, but greenstuff or milliput may be more simple.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's the pure plastic Stormwall-Hurricane box.

I should just get over it, but I hate working with greenstuff. And I don't have a spare glass container for sprue glue at the moment, but I'd like to make some in the future...

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
30k is as dead as it ever was: a xpost from HH thread

Major Spag posted:

New box game when?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sab669 posted:

Decided to hit the model with the can anyways.

Didn't really seem to do much to the detail -- I wouldn't expect it to, I mean the idea is you seal your minis after painting it with this stuff, yea? But it certainly didn't fill any gaps either.

^is there any consensus on plastic cement : sprue ratio? Or just keep melding sprues down until it's a good consistency?

Pro tip: use actual models for your sprue goo. Really melts down the ole backlog.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Pro tip: use actual models for your sprue goo. Really melts down the ole backlog.

:hmmyes:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Picked up some the Goliath set for a second gang to play with at home. Got them built and primed last night, ready for transparent paints.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

WIP on one of the goliath. I typically start by blocking in all my colors, this way if I need to play with them I can at least put something on the table that's mostly painted. Also, to save time I spend very little effort on more confined or hard to reach/less viewed areas, such as the flesh between his collar and shoulder plate.

The skin is all set on this guy, gonna probably do the metal and black next, and then devote some time figuring out the red.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

It's a slow work day, so I just finished the test model.

edit: Messing with filters

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 9, 2021

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
love your necromunda dudes and dudettes, so moody and suit the setting perfectly

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sab669 posted:

It's the pure plastic Stormwall-Hurricane box.

I should just get over it, but I hate working with greenstuff. And I don't have a spare glass container for sprue glue at the moment, but I'd like to make some in the future...

Are you adverse to using white modelling putty? 'cause it's braindead simple and fills pretty much any gap you got.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

love your necromunda dudes and dudettes, so moody and suit the setting perfectly

Thanks! I want them to be kinda grim dark and moody, but keep the original schemes from the box art.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
If anyone has purchased Mierce Miniatures, how does the casting quality compare between resin and metal? I'm looking at picking some figs up on sale and I'd rather opt for metal than resin for durability, but I've been burned by some bad metal casting in the past.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Are you adverse to using white modelling putty? 'cause it's braindead simple and fills pretty much any gap you got.

Could you suggest a brand? And my issue is that I'm just very impatient. The joins / seams on this Stormwall are actually quite small, so trying to get a thin enough layer of green stuff in place and smooth enough to not stand out seemed more hassle than it's worth.

And drat, I went to the art store to pick up some inks after watching a Goobertown Hobbies video, thought this color looked nice:

Didn't realize it actually has some metallic flake in it, so it did not come out at all how I wanted it to. Oh well. Lesson learned - always use a test mini first, even for random one-off projects :sigh:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
here's a bunch of stuff I've been working on:

Saurus Knights on Drakespawn Knight Cold Ones

Tzaangors

Curseling

Tzaangor Enlightened WIP

Kroak's Palanquin WIP

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Could you suggest a brand? And my issue is that I'm just very impatient. The joins / seams on this Stormwall are actually quite small, so trying to get a thin enough layer of green stuff in place and smooth enough to not stand out seemed more hassle than it's worth.

And drat, I went to the art store to pick up some inks after watching a Goobertown Hobbies video, thought this color looked nice:

Didn't realize it actually has some metallic flake in it, so it did not come out at all how I wanted it to. Oh well. Lesson learned - always use a test mini first, even for random one-off projects :sigh:

Oh hey, it's the daler rowney pearlescent ink line! I haven't heard of anyone using those since I painted my entire ork army in pearlescent macaw green.

They might look nice on some eldar

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh hey, it's the daler rowney pearlescent ink line! I haven't heard of anyone using those since I painted my entire ork army in pearlescent macaw green.

They might look nice on some eldar

That's funny, I'm working on some pearl green Orks right now :buddy:

Which, incidentally, is exactly why I didn't want another metallic for this side project. This is my first time buying Dalar Rowney, so I'm guessing either the "PW6" or "PV26" on the bottle that would have clued me in to it being metallic :shrug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I am quite slow at this, but it's still enjoyable. Testing out things and learning what does and doesn't work.

The nurgling in particular was the result of a bunch of failed attempts at doing various contrast blends, but I think the kinda gross skin color I accidentally stumbled into sorta works.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wyrd had another painting contest so I entered a couple of minis. I got a combined 0 votes, so room for improvement! I don't care enough about contests to not mess around with stuff, so these are done with oils. I'm still not great with them, but I'd say that I'm getting better.

Annoyingly out of focus Blood Hunter.

Hamelin. Need some better eyes everywhere.

Mouse, converted to a burning undead to go with my other fire models. Surprisingly, yellow oils are insanely opaque, so the yellow OSL took over a bit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cadmium yellows are very opaque but there's a couple yellows that are transparent (but nowhere near as saturated).

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Cadmium yellows are very opaque but there's a couple yellows that are transparent (but nowhere near as saturated).
Yeah, I really need to get used to looking at the tube to check the opacity, instead of automatically going with what I know from acrylics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That being said I kinda love the effect anyway

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

That being said I kinda love the effect anyway
Same. And thank you!
It just looks way more yellow than the other figures in the keyword, but, frankly, the others are too orange. Getting this one to fit in with completely new materials wasn't easy at all.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

That's funny, I'm working on some pearl green Orks right now :buddy:

Which, incidentally, is exactly why I didn't want another metallic for this side project. This is my first time buying Dalar Rowney, so I'm guessing either the "PW6" or "PV26" on the bottle that would have clued me in to it being metallic :shrug:

lmao wanna buy my army

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sab669 posted:

I use Perfect Plastic Putty, but they're all basically the same thing. Just make sure you're getting the white filler type and not the grey Tamiya death-goo and you should be set.

Keep in mind while it's easy to squish white putty into tiny little seams, you are going to have to let it dry and sand it back down a little. If that seems like it's too much effort, you might want to consider either liquid green stuff, making some sprue goo, or using some of the thicker Mr. Surfacers.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I used Testors gap filler putty way back in the day, and I'm pretty sure it's just premixed spackle in a tiny tube. Worked great though!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

I use Perfect Plastic Putty, but they're all basically the same thing. Just make sure you're getting the white filler type and not the grey Tamiya death-goo and you should be set.

Keep in mind while it's easy to squish white putty into tiny little seams, you are going to have to let it dry and sand it back down a little. If that seems like it's too much effort, you might want to consider either liquid green stuff, making some sprue goo, or using some of the thicker Mr. Surfacers.

I'm cool with some light sanding. That's what turns me off greenstuff is that it's not very sandable, so you just gotta work it down crazy thin.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tamiya goo owns though

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Anyone have advice on using milliput white? I haven't been able to find the useable point between dry chalky and uncontrollable slime.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MasterBuilder posted:

Anyone have advice on using milliput white? I haven't been able to find the useable point between dry chalky and uncontrollable slime.

If you mix miliput with rubbing alcohol you can make a paste that can be brushed on to models. Video here

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
One rule of thumb I've seen is that green stuff is good for organic shapes and white/milliput is good for more hard edges.

I have no idea how accurate that is.

[edit] Aw yeah, lighting upgrade.

So far so good. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MHH9Q7B

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2021

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Aranan posted:

One rule of thumb I've seen is that green stuff is good for organic shapes and white/milliput is good for more hard edges.

Too clean, work in a single clear 6 inch squared area of your desk like the rest of us.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also you are bang on about greenstuff vs milliput.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

50/50 milliput:green stuff is god's own sculpting medium

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Aranan posted:

Is the depth "adjustable"? More specifically, could it fit 'over' an airbrush booth? I have 2 lovely LED lamps flanking my booth that I'm not in love with

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
2 lovely IKEA Tertial's with good bulbs is enough for any hobbyist though

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I can make it bend so that it's about 25" vertical and 12" forward from the back of the desk while still pointed down. The bendy arm part is really flexible--I can twist the light to be completely vertical and pointing to the left or right without any issue.

Eej posted:

2 lovely IKEA Tertial's with good bulbs is enough for any hobbyist though

Yeah, that'd work fine too. I was using two RANARPs. I think the key is to not have it taking up space on the desk and have a long enough arm that you don't bonk your head on it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't usually post works in progress but I'm pretty chuffed with how this banner for my Deathwatch Ancient is turning out:

First time making and printing my own decals and finally getting to use some from Mighty Brush that I've had for months.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

AndyElusive posted:

I don't usually post works in progress but I'm pretty chuffed with how this banner for my Deathwatch Ancient is turning out:

First time making and printing my own decals and finally getting to use some from Mighty Brush that I've had for months.

Hot drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Getting together some paints and general knowledge before I start on this miniatures thing. What's the best varnish to use on metals? If I only get one varnish for now, should I go for satin or matte? I'm planning on using regular non-contrast paints and a couple vallejo metal colors.