Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bell jar posted:

Joke's on them, we're finally moving all of our devices (3000+) from iOS to Android because of how much of a PITA it is to deploy and maintain iPhones

I have some news about deploying and maintaining Android phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I mean no disrespect but I'd love to hear what pinpoints you encountered with iOS deployment. If there is one thing I can point to that doesn't give me heartburn is my iOS MDM deployment. From order to out of the box, one login and the device provisions.

was is the carrier or VAR integration in to ABM? was it app lifecycle? Profile deployment?

e: and I'm playing on hard mode as well. I didn't touch a single device with apple configurator as I don't use a mac to provision devices with. Macbooks & wifi ipads come from apple direct. Phones & cell iPads Verizon.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 10, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bell jar posted:

Joke's on them, we're finally moving all of our devices (3000+) from iOS to Android because of how much of a PITA it is to deploy and maintain iPhones

As someone who has exclusively chosen Android for his personal devices since WiMax was the hot new thing, managing iOS devices is so drat nice. I can not imagine a reason I'd want to use Android devices for a business unless I needed something an iDevice simply couldn't offer.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We provision both iOS and Android.

Let me put it this way…no one on the help desk is any good at fixing Android problems because the options we have are so bad and restricted that hardly anyone sticks with an Android phone for more than the length of their initial contract.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488&goto=lastpost

ding dong the taxman is dead

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
looking for a new job, get an interview all set for 4pm, get all setup, have questions prepared, and never get the call.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've had that happen. Twice in the last week I've had companies reschedule during the interview. Still better than the time I had them call me when I was in bed asking why I wasn't at the interview they didn't tell me about though :shrug:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I had one scheduled for last Thursday that got moved out, and for some reason I assumed it was moved exactly a week.

Fortunately, I happened to get a tingle in the back of my mind Wednesday morning and checked the email to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Good thing, because it was later that day

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

incoherent posted:

I mean no disrespect but I'd love to hear what pinpoints you encountered with iOS deployment. If there is one thing I can point to that doesn't give me heartburn is my iOS MDM deployment. From order to out of the box, one login and the device provisions.

was is the carrier or VAR integration in to ABM? was it app lifecycle? Profile deployment?

e: and I'm playing on hard mode as well. I didn't touch a single device with apple configurator as I don't use a mac to provision devices with. Macbooks & wifi ipads come from apple direct. Phones & cell iPads Verizon.

Our main problem is with version control, we're a large retailer and the devices are critical for day to day operations. Most of our in-house apps are fine but whenever the iOS major version changes our external vendor apps always need a few weeks/months to deal with whatever bugs the new iOS version has brought out, and the iOS devices keep prompting our users to update to the new version despite our efforts to prevent it. Users are users and so suddenly we have a few stores with half of their devices out of commission, etc.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

HOLY poo poo, thats unexpected but not surprising I guess.

I didnt really keep up with forum drama past about 2007ish but he seemed like he had substance abuse and health problems. I'll forever be grateful for finding SA and it leading me to SH/SC and the Finance forums, but have largely left the edgelord humor behind a decade ago.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

Our main problem is with version control, we're a large retailer and the devices are critical for day to day operations. Most of our in-house apps are fine but whenever the iOS major version changes our external vendor apps always need a few weeks/months to deal with whatever bugs the new iOS version has brought out, and the iOS devices keep prompting our users to update to the new version despite our efforts to prevent it. Users are users and so suddenly we have a few stores with half of their devices out of commission, etc.
I haven't touched MDM in years, but uhhh isn't preventing OS upgrades and their prompts one of the key features even the most basic ones provide?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

HOLY poo poo, thats unexpected but not surprising I guess.

I didnt really keep up with forum drama past about 2007ish but he seemed like he had substance abuse and health problems. I'll forever be grateful for finding SA and it leading me to SH/SC and the Finance forums, but have largely left the edgelord humor behind a decade ago.

yeah, ultimately the fact that everyone on the forums outgrew the edgelord poo poo, for the most part, and that he did not, are what brought about his downfall, imo. If we hadn't grown up I don't think Logan would have turned to us when poo poo hit the fan for her and it would have been easy for him to hide, like it was with Integral

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Honestly I’ve stayed in the same couple forums for like a decade so I don’t know anything concerning forums drama or who most of these people are.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I spent basically an entire day in meetings and working on an issue for the system I support that turned out to be pretty much entirely a) issues with the data loaded into it and b) someone having made an accounting entry they shouldn't have done. A day of trying to work out what had suddenly broken when the answer was "nothing, some people made some mistakes".

Despite everyone affected treating this as a critical systems failure guess how many tickets have been raised

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A user was issued a replacement laptop yesterday as his boss decided he needed a super non-standard laptop for his role.

He decided to ring me this morning because 2 of his 3 monitors are 'fuzzy' and wants me to give him local admin to change the refresh rates.

He did not want to accept the actual reason he could not change the refresh rates was the crappy adapters he had sourced and installed himself are probably the limiting factor.

He also did not want to participate in any swapping of cables to try and establish which part of this equation was the problem.

The biggest problem was despite having ample opportunity to mention it, he elected not to disclose that when he collected the laptop from one of my team, she had spent the time replicating his dock/3 monitor setup with company provided stuff and it worked perfectly.

I mean, if he had just asked us to supply 3 monitors, we already provided the super laptop, we just would, what a mess.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I turned on user provisioning from Okta to our production snowflake instance with 150+ users this morning, as well as push groups and changing assignment groups in Okta. Once the dba does the role conversions to use the new push groups, our snowflake instance will be 100% automated for access, roles, security and extra mfa if necessary.

Yeah, on a Friday. No tickets came in. We tested in the failover instance first.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

nexxai posted:

I haven't touched MDM in years, but uhhh isn't preventing OS upgrades and their prompts one of the key features even the most basic ones provide?

Yup.

If iOS is critical to your company making money, why do you not have updates turned off on your MDM, and if you don't have an MDM on your store iOS devices then what the heck are you doing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If it's anything like my current place, telling users not to update and yelling at them when they do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buff Hardback posted:

Yup.

If iOS is critical to your company making money, why do you not have updates turned off on your MDM, and if you don't have an MDM on your store iOS devices then what the heck are you doing

If you make iOS software that companies rely on then really you should be ahead of Apple and have your software working and ready to go before the iOS releases are public. Loads of apps manage just fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

If you make iOS software that companies rely on then really you should be ahead of Apple and have your software working and ready to go before the iOS releases are public. Loads of apps manage just fine.

Both can be true.

Anyone who is writing software intended for business use should definitely be expected to have devices in their testing fleet set to the latest beta of their respective OSes.

Anyone who has worked in business IT for more than a few months knows that most business software vendors are complete poo poo and a lot of them won't even start testing a new OS until it's been released, so you need to have solutions in place to manage this.

Having unmanaged iOS devices used for business roles should be thought of exactly the same as using random PCs running Windows Home with everyone as admin. Both parties are not doing their jobs properly.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
First onsite as part of my new position today. I'm in the airport on my way to LA.

Wish me luck, y'all :ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck! Did you manage to tell the helpdesk teams to politely gently caress off in the end?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lmao, I just realized that I haven't gotten a single recruiter message on LinkedIn since I changed my name there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Which is especially weird, since when you make LinkedIn changes THE ALGORITHM usually gets you more traffic.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

Which is especially weird, since when you make LinkedIn changes THE ALGORITHM usually gets you more traffic.

Almost like the only thing I changed, and what it signified, is making recruiters jave a problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Make some arbitrary skill changes to see if you can fool the algorithm to surface you higher.

But otherwise.. yeesh, that’s bad

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Internet Explorer posted:

The algorithm may have learned that this particular kind of change is correlated with being hired less frequently, and thus won't promote such predictedly unsuccessful candidates. Welcome to bias in AI!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

larchesdanrew posted:

First onsite as part of my new position today. I'm in the airport on my way to LA.

Wish me luck, y'all :ohdear:

Good luck with LAX it sucks I hate it so much

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Buff Hardback posted:

Good luck with LAX it sucks I hate it so much

Did they ever finish construction? Last time I was there was for a connecting flight, and they made me leave the terminal entirely, hop on a bus, ride to another building, _and go back through security_. I barely made my flight, and people in line with me full on missed theirs.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Did they ever finish construction? Last time I was there was for a connecting flight, and they made me leave the terminal entirely, hop on a bus, ride to another building, _and go back through security_. I barely made my flight, and people in line with me full on missed theirs.

Hah you fool

LAX is just in a constant state of construction

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

Make some arbitrary skill changes to see if you can fool the algorithm to surface you higher.

But otherwise.. yeesh, that’s bad

I'm not actually job hunting, its just a thing that I realized today. Its been 9 months or so since I changed my name on linkedin, and the one person who reached out deadnamed me, and then never followed up after being corrected

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
re: name chat

When my name change went through and I updated LinkedIn, I didn't get a single thing from anyone.

But when I changed my profile picture from brunette larchesdanrew to green-haired larchesdanrew, I got hella job offers.

So just get depressed and gently caress your hair up and the job offers will start piling up, trust me on this.

re: LAX

gently caress LAX. gently caress LAX so much. There are so many people in there. Like... a million people in an area the size of a swimming pool and everyone is crammed rear end-to-elbows and I ended up getting groped twice in a five minute period.

Blech.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 15, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It may not be the worst idea in the world to make a new account. I am actively purging my LinkedIn contact list to only people who I could credibly ask for a reference or referral. You now have an excellent opportunity to start fresh!

And this way you don’t need to get deadnamed by recruiters, fuuuuck that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

gently caress LAX. gently caress LAX so much. There are so many people in there. Like... a million people in an area the size of a swimming pool and everyone is crammed rear end-to-elbows and I ended up getting groped twice in a five minute period.

Burbank is the pro airport to fly in and out of if you can swing it

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

luminalflux posted:

Burbank is the pro airport to fly in and out of if you can swing it

I prefer SBA but BUR is nice too. I got my Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75k status this last trip, whee?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

So just get depressed and gently caress your hair up and the job offers will start piling up, trust me on this.
Well, guess it's time to break out the dye.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Iron Rose posted:

It may not be the worst idea in the world to make a new account. I am actively purging my LinkedIn contact list to only people who I could credibly ask for a reference or referral. You now have an excellent opportunity to start fresh!

And this way you don’t need to get deadnamed by recruiters, fuuuuck that.

probably not actually a bad idea. my only actual reference on there is from a lesbian who got super excited when I came out(she had been trying to nail down the queer vibe for years lol)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For what it’s worth I’m more than willing to provide LinkedIn references and skill endorsements to any regular poster of these threads

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Obligatory, skilled in shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

For what it’s worth I’m more than willing to provide LinkedIn references and skill endorsements to any regular poster of these threads

I am connected to a number of you on LinkedIn and would also do the same.