Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So apparently all the content that we've been seeing is in only one half of the starting area. It's an even smaller part of the map than I thought. How much loving content is this game going to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The rest of it is all Ultra Blighttown, but with more poison swamps

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also, a lot of the hardcore from software streamers playing the network test make it look very easy, but I have to remind myself that the Fextra Life guy has somehow managed to put 70 hours into the network test already and is intentionally using broken poo poo. And From will probably place items differently and give players fewer broken spells and gear right out of the gate in the full game. And maybe they'll rebalance some things in the next two months if necessary.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Twinblade owns and I killed a Bloodborne reject boss guy and got a thing that lets me mix up unique flasks? Cool.

EDIT: lol, you can mix up a flask that heals half your health, then blows you up.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 12, 2021

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm watching the fextralife stream and he's doing pvp and oh god it looks crazy fun already.

https://www.twitch.tv/fextralife

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know someone posted the youtube clip of this before but I just saw this again so I'm posting it again.

https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1458819993873920003?s=21

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game is awesome. The final product is gonna be amazing. What a rad beta.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Day 1 patch:

* Spell adjustments performed

Actual language:

* We thought you guys were over this by now, but ok. Magic doesn't deal any damage. You happy? You now have the same two-hand-only game you've wanted since we put out Dark Souls. Enjoy doing the same thing forever and feeling good about it you fucks. Also shields now laugh at you and cause damage when you block, because twitch wanted that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GREAT FOE VANQUISHED.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lih posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnr8GUofQE

you can see all the magic here. there are some weapon skills related to carian sorcery too.

Note that this video doesn't show off the charged-up versions of some of these spells. For some of them, like Beast Claw, you can hold down the cast button to charge up for an even bigger spell.

Miracles appear to be where it's at in the network test. Sorceries are very pretty but miracles seem, by and large, a lot more flexible and practical. Though I think I'm still gonna have to play a sorcerer because the mentions of "moonlight" in the greatsword spell descriptions reminded me that I'm really gonna want that Moonlight Greatsword.

Mailer posted:

Day 1 patch:

* Spell adjustments performed

Actual language:

* We thought you guys were over this by now, but ok. Magic doesn't deal any damage. You happy? You now have the same two-hand-only game you've wanted since we put out Dark Souls. Enjoy doing the same thing forever and feeling good about it you fucks. Also shields now laugh at you and cause damage when you block, because twitch wanted that.

Are you inventing a guy and then getting mad at that guy

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He isn't inventing anything, people have been vocal about their distaste for magic in the Souls games since Dark Souls 1, at least. It isn't any different than any of us poking fun at those people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean more like, that FromSoft is definitely gonna cave to them and nerf everything except no-shield melee into the ground

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Made it to the 'end' of the content, or at least, a message next to an unclimbable ladder telling me that more awaited in the official release. Can't wait to go back and explore the different paths.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

Note that this video doesn't show off the charged-up versions of some of these spells. For some of them, like Beast Claw, you can hold down the cast button to charge up for an even bigger spell.

Miracles appear to be where it's at in the network test. Sorceries are very pretty but miracles seem, by and large, a lot more flexible and practical. Though I think I'm still gonna have to play a sorcerer because the mentions of "moonlight" in the greatsword spell descriptions reminded me that I'm really gonna want that Moonlight Greatsword.

Are you inventing a guy and then getting mad at that guy

They’re referring to the long and glorious history of magic being nerfed into the ground in Dark Souls.

I expect that this game is going to rule at launch and then be the No Fun Zone within 3 months, just like Dark Souls 2. All the more reason to get in while the game is fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like there's a concerted effort to give the player more options this time so that would be an incredibly stark about-face if that happened. Adding viable stealth with actual stealth tools like sleep bombs and sleep arrows is another part of that.

Also wasn't that pretty much just a Dark Souls 2 thing? Magic was great and stayed great in Demon's Souls, got better over time in Dark Souls thank to the addition of dark sorceries like Pursuers and Dark Bead, and was never great to begin with in Dark Souls 3 (though IIRC some cool offensive miracles got added in the DLC). If we're counting Bloodborne in this, arcane also got a buff in the DLC with the addition of some more (and more practical) offensive spells and the Moonlight Greatsword Holy Moonlight Sword.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Havel equivalent in this game is going to be the overpowered thing this time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think everything is overpowered in the network test by design, and it's too soon to draw any conclusions. Also, it's less than a tenth of the game it seems like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at nerds using magic

gonna smash your dork faces in with the biggest hunk of metal i can find

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The War Ash from the Tree Guardian is really neat. Wish it were that big gently caress-off body-check he does with his shield though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Going to stick with my usual first run quality build thank you very much and none of this 'magical' nonsense

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hunter Yura is my new best-bro.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
They can nerf magic. I got a jump button, a double jump horse, a sword that calls lightning, a flask that makes me a suicide bomber and ghost wolves. Like, even without magic, I'm Conan the magician.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You cannot use your horse's double jump to mitigate a fall death.

Also, there are some seriously massive crowds of enemies moving around in convoys on some roads.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

They’re referring to the long and glorious history of magic being nerfed into the ground in Dark Souls.

I expect that this game is going to rule at launch and then be the No Fun Zone within 3 months, just like Dark Souls 2. All the more reason to get in while the game is fun.

Lightning miracles in specific were nerfed in DS2 but magic of all types are still good and useful in it, even OP in the base game because almost nothing is resistant to spells/miracles/pyromancies/hexes. Plenty of bosses still can’t deal with lightning spears, they just don’t get like 3-shot anymore. It would’ve been nice if they went and tweaked every enemy’s defenses instead but :effort: I guess.

There weren’t any nerfs like that in the other games. The next “worst” you could say is DS3 gated magic acquisition a bit more and actually gave things resistances to it sometimes.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 12, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Still died more to gravity than anything else. This is so good. I haven’t even done anything yet!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Do War Ashes get overwritten when you put a new one on your weapon, or do you get it back again? Didn't dare experimenting because the one I already had was working really well.

Also, is there a way to do the right handed weapon special effect when you hold something in your left hand? I don't really do parries, so having L2 be parry when I want other effects is a bit bothersome.

Also also they really should streamline rating messages. You first press triangle to see the message, THEN the pad to rate it, THEN X to confirm, THEN triangle again to dismiss the "you have rated" prompt.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

decided to do faith guy in beta since I usually go melee but I dunno this is pretty cool in elden ring

I bought what amounts to a rocket barrage from a guy on the beach which owns. quite a wide arc of damage mid range in front of you.

then I went down a deep cave that is at the end of a canyon that runs from dragon swamp and I rekt some troll stone boss guys poo poo with my rocket barrage - he dropped a mega sweet lightning katana that you can call a bolt down from the heavens to charge it up with

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

It took me a while to figure out how to level up. Do you have to stop at that particular Shrine of Grace near the road or just hit a certain number of shrines?

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Wandered around specifically avoiding the direction the golden light told me to go, so I ended up not getting the magic horse until around 1.5 hours in (thus wasting a bunch of time).

Fundamentally, the game feels a lot like a less linear DS3 with some additional mechanics. It's reasonably fun, though I'm not a fan of the implementation of stealth, since it reveals how bad the enemy AI truly is (also, having the default button for crouch be L3 is needlessly annoying).

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

It took me a while to figure out how to level up. Do you have to stop at that particular Shrine of Grace near the road or just hit a certain number of shrines?

Just find any 3 sites of grace out in the world and you'll unlock leveling up and the horse

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Harrow posted:

I mean more like, that FromSoft is definitely gonna cave to them and nerf everything except no-shield melee into the ground

Dark Souls 1 patched, in a way I barely noticed, pyromancy. Dark Souls 2 seemed to adhere to the weird internet meme around the series and really kicked magic in the teeth. It still doesn't feel good in 3. There's tons of spells (and shields, for that matter) but they just aren't good. I never could bother to get through everything in DLC 2/3 until I ran with a Rapier and a giant club to pancake with ROB/Flynn's. Then it felt normal, but having to go through a specific thing to make it feel normal was poo poo. It felt like a lot of the changes in 2 - the fog walls that took a bit to activate, the door to the crypt boss, etc - where "DARK SOULS HARDEST GAME" was their driving force and it wound up less fun for it.

Bloodborne did the same thing but in a completely different way - shields are rare and tells-you-in-the-description poo poo, magic is kind of a side thing, and what came out is a hyper aggressive game that knew what it was from the beginning. People still tried to bend it into weird 99 Arcane runs or whatever but the context of it being a separate thing is there. They didn't add in 50 spells and several dozen shields that all sucked if you tried to use them. There was a cohesive design flow to it that DS2 lacked with its ~balance~ patches.

This is largely historical based on what I've seen from the network test. ER, in the test, looks loving awesome.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Just find any 3 sites of grace out in the world and you'll unlock leveling up and the horse

Wait, so it's not tied to a specific one? I feel like I found at least 3, but I didn't get the horse until the one near Stormgate .

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one thing I couldn’t figure out is how to equip the wolfy spirit thing. Where do you go in the menu for that?

Really loved those 3 hours. Gameplay is great and it’s definitely a solid challenge - the miniboss/leader of that first base area you come across took me quite a few tries, and I only managed to defeat Tree Sentinel a few minutes before getting kicked. I can definitely see dude from the trailer blocking the way to the castle taking some time, and I don’t think I’ll even bother with the dragon (I basically screamed and laughed out loud simultaneously when that thing showed up lmao).

Game good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mailer posted:

Dark Souls 1 patched, in a way I barely noticed, pyromancy. Dark Souls 2 seemed to adhere to the weird internet meme around the series and really kicked magic in the teeth. It still doesn't feel good in 3. There's tons of spells (and shields, for that matter) but they just aren't good. I never could bother to get through everything in DLC 2/3 until I ran with a Rapier and a giant club to pancake with ROB/Flynn's. Then it felt normal, but having to go through a specific thing to make it feel normal was poo poo. It felt like a lot of the changes in 2 - the fog walls that took a bit to activate, the door to the crypt boss, etc - where "DARK SOULS HARDEST GAME" was their driving force and it wound up less fun for it.

Bloodborne did the same thing but in a completely different way - shields are rare and tells-you-in-the-description poo poo, magic is kind of a side thing, and what came out is a hyper aggressive game that knew what it was from the beginning. People still tried to bend it into weird 99 Arcane runs or whatever but the context of it being a separate thing is there. They didn't add in 50 spells and several dozen shields that all sucked if you tried to use them. There was a cohesive design flow to it that DS2 lacked with its ~balance~ patches.

Yeah one of my biggest criticisms of Dark Souls 3 (a game I do otherwise like a lot) is that it felt like it was trying to make you play Bloodborne as a Dark Souls character. All of the options for a heavy armor and shield, or full spellcaster build were there, but they just didn't feel very good to use because you were a Dark Souls character fighting Bloodborne enemies. You're just making the game harder for yourself if you try to push against that tide and things immediately snap into place if you just go for a fast-rolling melee build.

I love Bloodborne. If I had to make a list of my favorite games of all time, it'd be somewhere in the top 5 for sure. It works because it's designed, from the ground up, to be that game--you can't avoid being an agile, extremely mobile melee fighter in Bloodborne if you tried. (Well, you can, I guess, but you gotta try really hard to get there.) It feels cohesive. Dark Souls 3 sometimes feels like it's bait-and-switching you, letting you believe you have a lot of options but in reality you really should just pretend it's Bloodborne with a weaker dodge and no gun parries.

(I'm aware that armor does matter in DS3 and that you can become fairly durable with like Havel armor and stuff but that's a lot more practical for PvP than PvE, especially when you're not on NG+ so you go most of the game without having access to that kind of thing.)

I'm more optimistic about Elden Ring keeping a bunch of playstyles viable if only because they added even more of them this time (stealth, for example, and magic-focused weapon arts), and it was only really Dark Souls 2 where magic was strong at the start but steadily nerfed. In every other game it either got better over time, or was never that good to begin with. Plus, it seems like there are encounters in the open world where things that would've been very cheesy to use in Souls/Bloodborne (sneaking, big AoE spells killing huge groups of enemies at once) might actually be necessary.

Of course I could be very wrong and maybe the final game will launch with shittier magic than the network test has, that's not at all outside the realm of possibility.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Escobarbarian posted:

The one thing I couldn’t figure out is how to equip the wolfy spirit thing. Where do you go in the menu for that?

When you pause the game, there are some shortcuts in the upper right where you can place quick use items, and summons act like an item. You can then hold triangle and press one of the dpad directions during gameplay to use those shortcuts.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DS2 magic was very good even after being heavily nerfed but that's mostly down to the base cast speed being really good and affected by attunement instead of dex as well as more explicitly supported binocular sniping

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I always liked about magic in DS2 was that you could cast a buff spell on a weapon even if it already had an element. It made being a spellblade-type character feel really good.

Also I thought the Watcher Greatsword was really fun and even had a decent time in PvP with it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ymgve posted:

Do War Ashes get overwritten when you put a new one on your weapon, or do you get it back again? Didn't dare experimenting because the one I already had was working really well.

You can swap them out at will.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

poo poo! now I want to play more elden ring. I have been cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Qmass posted:

poo poo! now I want to play more elden ring. I have been cursed.

for the curse of life is the curse of want