Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Hey everybody.

I am known as the Cool Book Uncle and my nieces and nephews have shelves devoted to the awesome books I've sent them. My secret was that I was a teacher so I could always check out a zillion different kids books in our school library, or see what the kids were bringing into school. We've been online for ages so I am dry.

I was wondering if anyone had any good recs for kid's books for the 6 yrs old and under crowd. I'm Xmas shopping soon. Previous hits that they've loved:

- Old Black Fly
- The Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business
- Brian Froud art books

The third was a particular hit and blew the little dude's mind. So, does anyone have any great ideas of interesting and creative kids books I could gift them that will help me maintain my reputation?

Caveats:

Nothing Ultra Famous: Their parents already grab the classics like Dr Seuss, Where the Wild Things Are, etc. I have to be the indie book guy.

Nothing Virtue Signaling: I'd like to think I'm pretty woke, but I draw the line at pandering poo poo like Antiracist Baby or She Persisted. Kids don't like those books. Parents like showing off that they have those books. Not interested.

Nothing Marvel/Star Wars/Disney: They do love that poo poo and I've got nothing against Star Wars, I just assume that there is a good chance they already have a lot of that stuff and also I am the guy with the Weird Books.

Anyone have anything special that jumped out at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Cool Book Uncle
Thinking back to my nerdy grade school self decades ago, what about Stephen Biesty's cutaway books? Those are definitely something the right kid can get lost in for hours.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
If they don't have these already, the Dinotopia series by James Gurney, The Way Things Work by David Macaulay, and anything by Graeme Base. I loved those when I was little.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

My kids really liked "Ada Twist Scientist" and "Rosie Revere, Engineer" etc. They are a little famous and a little virtue signaling but not nearly to the extent as your examples. It's mostly in the "Science is cool and don't let weird gender norms stand in your way".

"Dragons love Tacos" is another obv for that age group, another pretty famous one.

I've read the "Bone" graphic novels to my son when he was 6-7, he really liked those. They were sometimes maybe a little old for him, but not in a bad way and the art is great and it's a real nice thing to read to him.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Cool Book Uncle

Mr. Squirrel and the Moon, by Sebastian Meschenmoser and anything else by him.
The Church Mouse books by Grahame Oakley, a little hard to find these days but worth it.
After Man by Dougal Dixon is back in print.
If they liked the Brian Froud maybe the Gnomes book by Wil Huygen.
Books by David Wiesner, Shaun Tan, Bill Thomson or Chris Van Allsburg.
Not Now Bernard by Dave Mckee.
Jan Thomas is really funny, Mo Willems is obviously huge but so great for that age.
The Book with no Pictures by B.J. Novak.
We Don't Eat our Classmates by Ryan Higgins.
I Yam a Donkey by Cece Bell.
Du iz Tak by Carson Ellis.
The Hilda books by Luke Pearson.
The Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton (she was a goon, for a very short while).
Professional Crocodile by Giovanna Zoboli.
Fungus the Bogeyman by Raymond Briggs.
This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers.
The Findus and Petson books by Sven Nordqvist.

Should be something there.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I just finished The Anglo-Saxons by Marc Morris and really enjoyed it, is there an equivalently well-written, historically scrupulous accounting of the Norman conquest and aftermath? I see Morris wrote a book about the conquest itself but I’m more interested about the period after that.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

yaffle posted:

After Man by Dougal Dixon is back in print.

I think New Dinosaurs by the same author is still out of print, but it's definitely a Cool Book Uncle book. (I think I discovered that book, and the ones I posted about earlier, from my Cool Book Grandparents.)

I probably wouldn't recommend Man After Man, though.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ScienceSeagull posted:

ah..,how many men would you recommend?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August? I don't know if it technically counts as a time travel book but if it doesn't, it should

I think I started that book but couldn't get in to it. I'll check it out again and give it another go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Hey everybody.

I am known as the Cool Book Uncle and my nieces and nephews have shelves devoted to the awesome books I've sent them. My secret was that I was a teacher so I could always check out a zillion different kids books in our school library, or see what the kids were bringing into school. We've been online for ages so I am dry.

I was wondering if anyone had any good recs for kid's books for the 6 yrs old and under crowd. I'm Xmas shopping soon. Previous hits that they've loved:

- Old Black Fly
- The Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business
- Brian Froud art books

The third was a particular hit and blew the little dude's mind. So, does anyone have any great ideas of interesting and creative kids books I could gift them that will help me maintain my reputation?

Caveats:

Nothing Ultra Famous: Their parents already grab the classics like Dr Seuss, Where the Wild Things Are, etc. I have to be the indie book guy.

Nothing Virtue Signaling: I'd like to think I'm pretty woke, but I draw the line at pandering poo poo like Antiracist Baby or She Persisted. Kids don't like those books. Parents like showing off that they have those books. Not interested.

Nothing Marvel/Star Wars/Disney: They do love that poo poo and I've got nothing against Star Wars, I just assume that there is a good chance they already have a lot of that stuff and also I am the guy with the Weird Books.

Anyone have anything special that jumped out at them?

Uspenski is ultra-famous but I'm still going to recommend The Little Warranty People.

e: How the gently caress has Вниз по волшебной реке not been translated into English? What are publishers even doing?!?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 11, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

yaffle posted:

The Hilda books by Luke Pearson.

Oh yeah these are also great. The Netflix cartoon is fantastic as well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hughmoris posted:

I think I started that book but couldn't get in to it. I'll check it out again and give it another go.

Took me a couple of times too. It's not revelatory or anything but it's interesting and once I got 50 pages in or so I enjoyed the rest of the way.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ScienceSeagull posted:

If they don't have these already, the Dinotopia series by James Gurney, The Way Things Work by David Macaulay, and anything by Graeme Base. I loved those when I was little.

Seconding Graeme Base. Is Bill Peet too famous/obvious? All of his books were my jam as a little kid.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Lots of awesome suggestions! Thanks, I'll definitely grab a few that people have mentioned.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ScienceSeagull posted:

I think New Dinosaurs by the same author is still out of print, but it's definitely a Cool Book Uncle book. (I think I discovered that book, and the ones I posted about earlier, from my Cool Book Grandparents.)

Man after man is cool it's just explicitly sci fi rather than fake biology.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Yeah, it's not bad in itself, but it's much darker in tone than Dixon's other books and the illustrations of modified humans might be a bit scary for young ones.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a good overview book of WWII, comparable to the American Civil War's Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson? I've got the itch to recap that massive war, but I'd prefer an overview instead of a deep dive into any specific subject in the war.

e: Milhist thread in A/T has me covered. I'll happily take recs here but I'm covered. :toot:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 13, 2021

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A friend of mine is looking for a novel to help her practice her English. She specifically is looking for a book set in the current day with a lot of dialog in it since she wants to get more comfortable with the kind of vocabulary you'd find in everyday conversations. I realize this is probably an unusual request but I'd love to get some recommendations. Her English is quite good though certainly not fluent so something that's not too heavy on jargon or unusual prose is probably best.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

a7m2 posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a novel to help her practice her English. She specifically is looking for a book set in the current day with a lot of dialog in it since she wants to get more comfortable with the kind of vocabulary you'd find in everyday conversations. I realize this is probably an unusual request but I'd love to get some recommendations. Her English is quite good though certainly not fluent so something that's not too heavy on jargon or unusual prose is probably best.

With the focus being conversational, perhaps some sort of comic book/web comic/graphic novel format?

When my grandfather immigrated after world war 2 he learned a lot of random language from television, specifically three stooges... he was saying nyuck nyuck nyuck right up until he croaked.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

External Organs posted:

With the focus being conversational, perhaps some sort of comic book/web comic/graphic novel format?

When my grandfather immigrated after world war 2 he learned a lot of random language from television, specifically three stooges... he was saying nyuck nyuck nyuck right up until he croaked.

No, she's specifically looking for a novel. That's a great anecdote!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

a7m2 posted:

Maybe head over to the YA section of the library? If it's arranged by genre I'd look for realistic fiction. Failing that there's a lot to be said for a huge volume of junk, how does she feel about romance?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I really loved Piranesi and couldn’t put it down.

I’m looking for other tight and clever page-turners. I like sci fi and horror but I’ll try anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for other tight and clever page-turners. I like sci fi and horror but I’ll try anything.

Have you read her other book, Strange and Norrell?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

tuyop posted:

Six Wakes maybe? But nothing's really like Piranesi...

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Borges short story collection…or The Name of the Rose?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

a7m2 posted:

I know these aren't novels, but what about "an oral history of..." type books, which are basically written like one big conversation? Meet Me in the Bathroom comes to mind. Or maybe something like David Sedaris's nonfiction work, which is written in a conversational style?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

Borges short story collection…or The Name of the Rose?

Nothing quite like ten-page exegeses on 14th century church politics to get those pages turning!

Great book, though. This rec is funny because I’m 74% of the way through Foucault’s Pendulum and looking for a brief distraction before I get through the rest of the numerology and excellent prose.

I’ll check out her other book but I bounced off Six Wakes pretty hard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

Based on the summary alone, I'd suggest House of Leaves but it's more sprawling than tight.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for fiction or non-fiction about hostage scenarios, preferably told from multiple perspectives.

Alternatively, a book analyzing hostage scenarios and maybe the evolution of hostage response/negotiation techniques over time.

bowser fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 15, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bowser posted:

Looking for fiction or non-fiction about hostage scenarios, preferably told from multiple perspectives.

Alternatively, a book analyzing hostage scenarios and maybe the evolution of hostage response/negotiation techniques over time.

I've often recommended this book on negotiation techniques written by a former hostage negotiator:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018FHCPDO/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

He covers a lot of "this is what we used to do, this is what we do now, this is why what we do now is better" type topics.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

Thank you for reminding me of Piranesi. I had it on my list and just kinda forgot about it. I was able to grab it from my library today!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bowser posted:

You might like Stanley Ellin's thriller Stronghold from the 70s about a Quaker community that gets taken hostage and has to manage the situation without betraying their pacifist beliefs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been thinking lately about how nice it would be, with online references getting worse and worse as they all pivot to trying to make money, to own a print thesaurus, and that got me thinking about other print reference books it would be nice to own now that I have the space. Maybe even, god help me, a print encyclopedia (it seems WorldBook is the only remaining one).

Does anybody have any recommendations for large, interesting, and comprehensive books of information to keep around the house? Things I've owned in the past included the Oxford Companion to English Literature, Bartlett's Quotations, and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and fable, but I'm also interested in other topics like science, culture, and history.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been thinking lately about how nice it would be, with online references getting worse and worse as they all pivot to trying to make money, to own a print thesaurus, and that got me thinking about other print reference books it would be nice to own now that I have the space. Maybe even, god help me, a print encyclopedia (it seems WorldBook is the only remaining one).

Does anybody have any recommendations for large, interesting, and comprehensive books of information to keep around the house? Things I've owned in the past included the Oxford Companion to English Literature, Bartlett's Quotations, and Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and fable, but I'm also interested in other topics like science, culture, and history.

I keep a Latin-Finnish dictionary around because my Latin is very rusty, and also French-Finnish because at one point in time a lot of Anglo writers liked to put in quotes in French without a translation. Some still do because they're asses.

A mushroom field guide with colour illustrations is good. Not for reading, but mushrooms are good and free and you don't want to pick the venomous ones.

:troll:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Rand Brittain posted:

"Who's Who in 20th Century Literature" is a fun book to have around, John Clute's Encyclopedias of Fantasy and Science fiction, The Re/Search guides to various things, a nice big atlas, there are book club editions of the greater oxford that you can pick up quite cheaply.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

The Pocket Reference has facts and figures for a whole bunch of stuff and sounds like it might be more efficient than googling about, say, the density of a type of steel or whatever.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pocket-ref-third-edition-35569.html

quote:

Get 864 pages of charts, tables, conversions, constants, facts and figures on everything you’d want to know with this pocket reference guide! Chapters cover air and gasses, automotive, carpentry and construction, chemistry and physics, computers, electrical, general science, geology and much more. This handy pocket reference guide fits right in your pocket and is easily accessible at any time for quick information.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Are there any decent modern “sword and planet” books that scratch the same itch as John Carter? There seems to be no shortage of schlocky derivative crap. I was recommended Ginger Star by Leigh Brackett and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling. Anyone else I should know about?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Are there any decent modern “sword and planet” books that scratch the same itch as John Carter? There seems to be no shortage of schlocky derivative crap. I was recommended Ginger Star by Leigh Brackett and In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling. Anyone else I should know about?

If you're including Leigh Brackett and S.M. Stirling I'm assuming modern means "post-war".

Rice Burroughs was so dominant that most talented people tried to move outside the shadow of his influence as the worst of his progeny flooded the cheap pulps. So there's not much great "sword and planet" stuff out there especially if you're chasing all three legs of the stool "sword", "planet" and "John Carter-like" in addition to well written. You might on the whole be better off chasing non-SF adventure fiction.

Have you read Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure series or Big Planet?

The Old Mars/Venus etc. collections edited by Gardner Dozois and George R. R. Martin should also have stuff you'd like (although there's a lot of stories that go meta-textual rather than homage). There's also The Good Stuff collection/s edited by Dozois but that runs the gamut of tones.

Maybe Mary Gentle's Orthe series or stuff by Walter Jon Williams and Matthew Hughes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The Red Rising series is like sorta-Roman Empire but across the solar system with space battles, "iron rain" planetary attacks and infantry combat fought with literal swords.