Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zosologist posted:

Thank you, I got sucked into the Internet vegan try hard zone where you can only make yogurt from milk you’ve made yourself and you must use new culture every time never using old yogurt to inoculate your new batch for… reasons.

Good to know I can just treat this like any other culture/fermentation.

It's real nice, especially since storebought vegan yogurt (at least here in the US) is kind of expensive and it's hard to just find plain yogurt without any flavor. I haven't had as much success with store bought yogurts as a starter though, I had to use probiotic capsules.

If you want a thicker texture just strain out the yogurt using a cheese cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I was lucky in that I bought the easiyo before I'd done any googling. So it was a matter of "how do I make yoghourt using this specific device?" and the first site I found was of the "throw whatever in, wait, happy eating" variety. So I didn't discover the rabbit hole until I'd already been making my own for a while, and was just trying to make it thicker.
Which I eventually gave up on, btw. The things I use yoghourt for day-to-day aren't effected by the texture (smoothies, on porridge, adding creaminess to meals). On the rare occasion that I do need something thicker (as the "cream" for tiramisu), I just buy a tub. It's expensive ($11-16/kg, compared to $5/kg for dairy yoghourt, and $1.60/kg for my homemade), but it's a rare enough purchase that I don't mind.

I bought some vital wheat gluten yesterday. I'm going to attempt to use it to make some sourdough that has some structural integrity, which I've never really managed to do before.
At least, I will if my starter comes back to life :ohdear: It's been dormant in my fridge for about a year, but I've brought it back after that long before.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

I was lucky in that I bought the easiyo before I'd done any googling. So it was a matter of "how do I make yoghourt using this specific device?"

lol this is what I did, except I plan on using my instant pot, and the results were predictable. The amount of woo and pseudoscience in the vegan food sphere is exhausting.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zosologist posted:

lol this is what I did, except I plan on using my instant pot, and the results were predictable. The amount of woo and pseudoscience in the vegan food sphere is exhausting.

Not a food issue, but my current bugbear with this was trying to find a toothpaste that hit the key points of 1) vegan, 2) not owned by Evil, 3) sustainably produced, and 4) has fluoride. Just because I don't want toothpaste that is produced by literal child slaves doesn't mean I don't want fluoride in it!

....I gave up on "reasonably priced" as a key point fairly soon into the search.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not a food issue, but my current bugbear with this was trying to find a toothpaste that hit the key points of 1) vegan, 2) not owned by Evil, 3) sustainably produced, and 4) has fluoride. Just because I don't want toothpaste that is produced by literal child slaves doesn't mean I don't want fluoride in it!

....I gave up on "reasonably priced" as a key point fairly soon into the search.

I still get a good chuckle out of manufacturers advertising their toothpaste as being "free from nasty chemicals" and by "nasty chemicals" they specifically mean fluoride.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today's effort.

A variation of these Creamy white beans with kale.

I added some additional veg, used a combination of cannellini beans, kidney beans and chickpeas, used frozen spinach in place of the kale, tossed in a handful of red lentils, and served it with brown rice.
It was very tasty.

And I knocked together this stunning piece of chocolatey perfection.

The base is dates, LSA* meal, oats, coconut oil, and golden syrup.
The filling is silken tofu, vegan "Nutella", a little bit of melted chocolate, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and some dates soaked in warm soy milk then strained (drank the milk; 10/10 would drink again).
It's my first ever raw tart, and I went in without a recipe like a genius, so I was a little worried it wouldn't set, but it set beautifully.
It's genuinely delicious. Silky smooth, and so chocolatey.

e: LSA = linseed, sunflower seed and almond

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 6, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I had to look up what LSA meal is!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Sorry. Fixed.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Tonight, I made very good Creamy bean and pasta soup.

It looks underwhelming, but it was scrumptious. It's going into my regular rotation.
I changed the recipe a little (as per). Added some extra veg, used a mixture of white and black beans and chickpeas and used the liquid from all three tins, increased the nutritional yeast and chilli, used stock instead of water.

To go with it, I made my first attempt at a no-knead bread.

It was denser than I'd normally like my bread, but since it was for dunking in soup, that wasn't really an issue.
For the amount of work that went into it (practically none), I'm pretty impressed.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I’m curious what you guys do for the big holiday meals? This will be my first vegan holiday and I usually host at my house, and the sides and what not are simple enough, but I think my guests will be expecting something as the center piece and I’m a bit at a loss. I’m thinking maybe mushroom Wellington or a Shepard’s pie, but I’m curious what you guys get up to.

Somewhat related: there are far too many pictures of people cooking and pretending to eat an entire roasted cauliflower, I can only assume as a turkey replacement.

Why do people keep treating cauliflower as a meat substitute? It baffles me. There’s about 30 things I’d use in Kung pao or cover in , or roast and eat whole before I even considered cauliflower as a substitution.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 12, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Zosologist posted:

Why do people keep treating cauliflower as a meat substitute? It baffles me. There’s about 30 things I’d use in Kung pao or cover in , or roast and eat whole before I even considered cauliflower as a substitution.

In Australia, we have a chain of TexMex restaurants called Zombrero (not sure if they're international), where you can customise your own burrito/burrito bowl. You have a choice of rice (white, brown, black), different salsas, etc. etc. Your choices of "protein" (their word) are beef, chicken, lamb, pork, or cauliflower.

No suggestions for the holiday centrepiece, though; I'm not a holiday celebrator. Mushroom Wellington does seem a popular choice, though. Personally, I might try something like a pie (I've tried this Moroccan m'hanncha, and it was very good; or mushroom and spinach, or a colourful layered veg pie), or some sort of loaf (lentil, rice, nut and dried fruit, for example). I found this recipe for a couscous "cake" with fruit and nuts, and I'm strongly considering attempting a savoury version (possibly baked to get some crunchiness on the couscous).

e: or stuffed capsicums

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 12, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zosologist posted:

I’m curious what you guys do for the big holiday meals? This will be my first vegan holiday and I usually host at my house, and the sides and what not are simple enough, but I think my guests will be expecting something as the center piece and I’m a bit at a loss. I’m thinking maybe mushroom Wellington or a Shepard’s pie, but I’m curious what you guys get up to.
What exactly counts as a centerpiece? I've never really understood the distinction. When people talk about it usually they seem to have in mind "something's corpse, or a vegan approximation of it." For instance I wouldn't have thought of a shepherd's pie as a centerpiece. But maybe people have different ideas.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What exactly counts as a centerpiece? I've never really understood the distinction. When people talk about it usually they seem to have in mind "something's corpse, or a vegan approximation of it." For instance I wouldn't have thought of a shepherd's pie as a centerpiece. But maybe people have different ideas.

I think you’ve put your finger on my difficulty specifically. I’m not interested in fake nonsense, it seems like such a weird sentiment to have a huge contradiction in the middle of the of your spread. I do think there’s something to the idea of a central dish though, something that works along with the sides in different ways to highlight different aspects and flavors of both, but it’s probably a more academic musing then something I need to worry about.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The sides can highlight each other.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Zosologist posted:

I think you’ve put your finger on my difficulty specifically. I’m not interested in fake nonsense, it seems like such a weird sentiment to have a huge contradiction in the middle of the of your spread. I do think there’s something to the idea of a central dish though, something that works along with the sides in different ways to highlight different aspects and flavors of both, but it’s probably a more academic musing then something I need to worry about.

I made a mushroom Wellington last year and it went great! I think what distinguishes the centerpiece from sides is effort in the dish. Generally the centerpiece will cook for a long time, so you can’t make three of them or whatever, just isn’t kitchen space. Sides typically take up fewer resources / time / whatever. I was also going gluten free which made a centerpiece even more difficult for someone new to vegan / gluten free

I recently had this struggle and decided to go full on texmex and made corn tortillas with a bunch of different taco fillings / etc and that tasty lemon polenta posted earlier (great recipe, polenta is hard to find and I have no idea if what I had was “fine”, but it turned out okay)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO I'd go for a more Asian-style meal setup where there's no one singular star per se but several dishes that all play nice with each other, as well as small sides that round out the entire palette.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zosologist posted:

Somewhat related: there are far too many pictures of people cooking and pretending to eat an entire roasted cauliflower, I can only assume as a turkey replacement.

We've cooked Polish the last two Christmases: barszcz with uszka, pierogi, gołąbki, kapusta kiszona and so on. A lot of the dishes are vegan anyway, several of the rest can easily be made so. None are a centre piece as such but it's a nice spread. If you search "wegańska wigilia" you'll find some good recipes and Google Translate does a tolerable job.

e: This website in general is good for plant-based Polish stuff. https://www.jadlonomia.com/ We have one of her recipe books and use it a fair bit.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 12, 2021

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is why american vegans and western vegans in general pretty much suck at being vegan.

Enjoy your infected boil.

In an indian meal you might not even notice if it's vegan. I don't mean american butter chicken but with cauliflower instead, I mean real vegan indian foods. Ditto african, middle eastern, asian. The centerpiece is the staple starch, and you put on it generally whatever fresh veg, pulses and pickles you can get and make tasty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There's a restaurant near me well known for its nut burger patties. They are really delicious, and don't try to emulate meat, but instead are their own amazing savory and juicy delight.

Looking for a recipe if anyone knows of something.

I'm not 100% sure they are vegan, I think I taste butter and possibly egg.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
All the approximation of fake meat products going on is just to recreate a flavor people like. Yeah, it doesn't always look appetizing and you might not like the flavor, but that's okay. I don't like arugula or parsnips, but they both have a place in a ton of dishes that millions of people love.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

All the approximation of fake meat products going on is just to recreate a flavor people like. Yeah, it doesn't always look appetizing and you might not like the flavor, but that's okay. I don't like arugula or parsnips, but they both have a place in a ton of dishes that millions of people love.
Uhh.

I mean yea, but this restaurant has been around for like 20 years. And I specifically said it doesn't try to approximate anything.

It's more like the OG garden burgers where it still tastes like veggies.

I wouldn't even call this particular Patty fake meat. It's a nut patty that tastes like nuts. It's closer to falafel than to meat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd be down for a falafel burger with aioli, pickles, and tzatziki.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We usually do a stuffed seitan roll for big family meals. A lot of Finnish traditional dishes either are vegan already or can be made vegan pretty easily, but the centerpiece is the problem - we just go with seitan since you gotta have something to carve at the table. I think holidays are a bit of a special situation since there is so much emotion involved with the whole tradition thing. Going all Indian for Christmas might be a fun thing to try alone with your SO, but doing it for our entire family would probably... not go over well. They have been surprisingly happy with my mushroom and sweet potato stuffing, though!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vinestalk posted:

I realized you might have been responding to Thanksgiving chat and not my Burger post. Sorry for getting snappy.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Mum has made some nut roasts for me and my sister in law and they are pretty good. Kind of like savoury Granola.... that's not selling it, they are really nice!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

eSporks posted:

I realized you might have been responding to Thanksgiving chat and not my Burger post. Sorry for getting snappy.

You're all good! I shoulda quoted. Can't say I've tried a nut burger before but it sounds interesting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Oh hey here we go. Found someone's take on it and it matches the restaurants description. I'm surprised there is no binder, but I guess if you cook the rice enough it gets sticky. I'm going to have to make this and report back if it's as good as the recipe.
https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/9384050/nut-burgers/

I bet you could also make a pretty good 'meatloaf' out if it for Thanksgiving too.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today's effort:

Turkish pide, using this recipe.

It was tasty (although sweeter than I'd like; I'd leave the sugar out next time), but it didn't have the texture I was hoping for. The pide you buy from shops here is chewy and has big air bubbles. This was very soft; no chew at all.
Also, had to top it with poppy seeds, because I couldn't find nigella.

But it worked very well with this Iranian-inspired baked beans with pomegranate molasses, walnuts and chard. (I think I may've got this recipe from this thread.)

It was really delicious (which is good, because I have several meals' worth of leftovers).
I altered the recipe (as per): added extra veg (carrots, cauliflower), added garlic, used Chinese broccoli and frozen spinach in place of the chard, reduced the liquid significantly because I soaked the beans for 18 hours, and left out the walnuts because I was feeding an allergy-haver.

And I bodged together a pretty tasty cake.

The top layer is plain cinnamon and cardamom cake; then a layer of blueberries, pine nuts (an absolutely pointless addition, it turns out), and semolina pudding made with soy milk filled with brown sugar and loads of fresh grated ginger; then the plain cake again, filled with slices of pear I'd poached in the ginger/brown sugar soy milk.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Your posts are dope, Lady Disdain

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me; thank you so much :3:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vinestalk posted:

Your posts are dope, Lady Disdain
Agreed!

It's been a while since a recipe dump. Here's a bunch of Indonesian recipes, plus a few Chinese and Japanese ones, including stuff to do with tofu and tempeh, and some desserts:

https://dailycookingquest.com/tahu-gejrot-cirebon-fried-tofu-in-chili-soy-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/sup-bening-bayam-jagung-spinach-corn-soup.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/gulai-kale-kale-in-spicy-coconut-broth.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/fried-tempeh-with-chili-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/gulai-daun-singkong-cassava-leaves-stew.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/labu-siam-tumis-chayote-in-spicy-coconut-milk.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/kwetiau-goreng-stir-fried-flat-rice-noodles.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/japanese-braised-daikon-with-miso-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/terong-balado-eggplants-with-chili-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/sambal-tauco-labu-siam.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/sayur-gori-jackfruit-stew-in-coconut-milk.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tahu-goreng-sambal-sereh-fried-tofu-spicy-lemongrass-relish.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tahu-goreng-bumbu-kuning-turmeric-and-spiced-fried-tofu.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/orek-tahu-tauco-tofu-in-spicy-soy-bean-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/nagasari-coconut-and-rice-flour-cake-stuffed-with-saba-banana.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tumis-tahu-zucchini-tofu-and-zucchini-in-spicy-coconut-milk.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/terik-tahu-dan-tempeh-tofu-and-tempeh-stew-in-coconut-milk.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/kolak-plantain-cassava-and-sweet-potato-in-coconut-milk.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/ongol-ongol-hunkwe-mung-bean-cake-with-grated-coconut.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/pindang-tahu-goreng-fried-tofu-in-spicy-broth.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/sambal-goreng-tauco-labu-siam-chayote-in-fermented-soy-bean-and-chili-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/asem-asem-terong-sour-and-spicy-eggplant-stew.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/nasi-uduk-bayam-fragrant-coconut-rice-with-spinach.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tempe-tumis-cabe-gendot-tempeh-stir-fry-with-habanero.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tahu-goreng-lengkuas-fried-tofu-in-galangal.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/acar-bawang-aceh-acehnese-shallot-pickle.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tofu-and-mushroom-soup.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/kue-hunkwe-pisang-banana-and-mung-bean-starch-cake.htmlhttps://dailycookingquest.com/perkedel-tempeh-tempeh-fritters.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/braised-tofu-and-mushrooms.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/acar-kuning-pickled-vegetables-in-peanut-chili-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/bengkoang-dan-kacang-panjang-tumis-tauco-jicama-and-snake-bean-stir-fry-in-salted-soy-bean.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/gulai-nangka-jackfruit-curry.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tumis-kacang-panjang-snake-bean-stir-fry.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/tempeh-goreng-lengkuas-fried-tempeh-in-galangal-sauce.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/carrot-tomato-and-starfruit-juice.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/buncis-tumis-tauco-stir-fry-green-beans-with-salted-soy-beans.html
https://dailycookingquest.com/rujak-mangga.html

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Been getting into risotto recently. Really cathartic to cook, and my partner (who usually rates meals without meat in them from gross to palatable I guess) has been liking it too.

There's heaps of recipes around, but a few tips I've come across that really seem to help are:
-heat the stock before adding it (this was explained to me as to why it helps but I forgot)
-cover rice with stock, let it absorb it, then repeat until all has been absorbed

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
If those are tips you had to come across on your own, something is wrong with the recipes you're using, because those are the two most basic principles of risotto making.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Seconding the recommendation for a nut roast as a Christmas dinner. The Cranks recipe is a classic- http://demont.myds.me/leerecipes/veggies/veggies1/nutroast.html
Ignore the directions to leave the onions transparent and get them good and browned, definitely use red wine with stock concentrate and double the amount of Marmite. Serve with porcini gravy, Yorkshire puds (vegan ones work fine) and roasted veg.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think a tart or a galette or a pie stuffed with a lot of autumn veggies is pretty good for Thanksgiving as well. I think a lot of the flavors people conventionally really like about Thanksgiving stem more from the veggies than the turkey to begin with-- lots of potatoes, mushrooms, squash, sprouts, carrots, etc.-- so this thread's suggestions about just emphasizing the sides and coaxing them to the forefront a bit are also really sound. A good mushroom stuffing/dressing can anchor the meal on its own ime.

Like honestly I think the only part of the traditional Thanksgiving table that is semi-difficult to do as a vegan is the turkey, and that's frankly mostly just there because in the US we're conditioned to want to see a big wad of meat on the table. I'm always touched when I go to to a Thanksgiving dinner and somebody has a fake turkey thing for me to eat but it's never necessary-- the holiday lends itself so so so well to great fresh veggie and fruit dishes that giving those a turn in the spotlight is really all you need to do.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 16, 2021

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Vinestalk posted:

I appreciate the increasingly sophisticated fake meat because it lets me recreate family recipes and family traditions that I had thought I had lost access to. I come from a Southern American family where most of the meals I grew up with were hugely animal based and when I went veg 15 years ago or whenever it was, I had to put a lot of that on the shelf. I have recipes that I remember my great-grandmother cooking that don't easily veganize because they're fairly simple and meat is a large part of the seasoning and fat in the dish. As more and more fake meat gets on the market, I can make recipes for my kids that remind me of meals at my grandparents' house and I appreciate that.

I get the distaste for fake meat in a lot of the vegan community, and I get the argument that veg recipes are better when they're designed to be veg instead of just copying meat-based recipes, but for me there's a big hit of tradition and history in a lot of cooking I want to do and I appreciate fake meat as a way of keeping my ethics intact but giving me access to some of those traditions.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Trying to revive my sourdough starter from the fridge failed; it went mouldy. So I had to start from scratch, but at last, I have bread.

Not the best loaf I've ever made. I didn't get to bulk ferment it as long as I'd've liked, and I had a wee mishap transferring it from the benchtop to the proofing basket, that relaxed some of the surface tension.
Aaaaand I undercooked it slightly, during the Dutch-oven-with-the-lid-still-on phase, and I cut into it before it was totally cool, so it was ever so slightly gummy.
But very tasty, and it went well with the leftover pomegranate molasses beans from the weekend.

I also went out to lunch and had a bunless burger (why do cafe's insist on denying me bread ?)

A veggie patty (it was actually more like bubble and squeak: mashed potato with a small amount of green stuff (spring onions and peas, maybe), pan fried until crispy), baked beans, puréed beetroot, baby spinach, pickled eggplant (the real star of the dish for me; I bloody love anything pickled), sweet potato chips, and vegan mayonnaise.
For pud, I had vegan cherry ripe gelato (cherry, coconut and chocolate). It was fairly meh.

Also, I bought a wine fridge capable of maintaining a temp of 13°, and these:

Lads, brace yourselves for cheesemaking adventures !

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
250 litres?!?!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yep, they're each 250 litres. It's the smallest batch I could buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's gonna be a lotta not-cheese. Hope you have some way of moving the barrel!