Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Demilich posted:

Any high end reading you recommend regarding both city planning and government? I'm very much into expanding my personal library.

lots of good stuff posted since I made that post and promptly forgot

I’ll just add The Ghost map. which is a good and cool book about a cholera epidemic in London in the 19th century and what people learned about public health and city planning from it.

this is one of the last books I seminar’d on. almost every other prominent book on the subject was posted by other people.

fwiw my last semester was spent on an economic feasibility study replacing my schools aging ng steam generator with an extensive heat pump and biomass reactor, and also parks and recreation.

I am extensively black pulled re gcc but am still advocating for ablative policy change at the local level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mcbexx posted:

Found a ladybug crawling around in my bathtub the other day. Very normal for mid november.

It was trying to drown itself

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

munce posted:

Cop26 is doomed, and the hollow promise of ‘net zero’ is to blame
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/10/cop26-doomed-net-zero

worth keeping in mind that the other two reasons are also capitalism

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

New draft of COP26 agreement includes weakened but unprecedented language on fossil fuels

“A new version of the COP26 draft agreement was published early on Friday and includes unprecedented language around fossil fuels”

Good news!

“The fact that any mention of fossil fuels survived the editing cull is a win for the COP26 presidency,”

inspiring!

“There is a huge chance fossil fuels may not make the final text at all, or be further weakened”

wait what

“However, the new version of the paragraph is weaker than the initial draft published on Wednesday, indicating just how tough the fight over its inclusion was. The new text calls for the acceleration of "the phaseout of unabated coal power and of inefficient subsidies for fossil fuels."

The added word "unabated" essentially means countries could continue to use coal if they are able to capture large amounts of the carbon dioxide they emit. The concept is controversial as the technology to fully capture greenhouse gases is still in development. And "inefficient" was also added, leaving that part of the agreement fairly open to interpretation.”

“The draft agreement "requests" that countries go back to the drawing board and come back with stronger plans by the end of next year.”

lol;

lmao

Pobrecito has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Nov 12, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Here we loving go!!!

quote:

Meet the ‘inactivists’, tangling up the climate crisis in culture wars
As climate science has gone mainstream, outright denialism has been pushed to the fringes. Now a new tactic of dismissing green policies as elitist is on the rise, and has zoned in on a bitter row over a disused airport in Kent

The video’s reach was relatively small: according to Facebook data, it was viewed somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 times. But over the following weeks more videos came, each one experimenting with slightly different scripts and visuals. All focused on the supposed irrationality and hypocrisy of climate campaigners, and the hardship they wanted to inflict upon society’s most impoverished communities. “Those who demand action on climate change continue to fly around in private jets from one virtue-signalling climate conference to the next,” stated one, against a backdrop of Leonardo DiCaprio and Prince Harry delivering speeches from lecterns. “Is this fair?” Another video took aim at the idea that countries should be transitioning towards “net zero” carbon dioxide emissions, calling it an “unnecessary and swingeing plan that hits the poor and costs the earth”. In total, between May and July, the advertiser spent less than £3,000 disseminating 10 videos. Collectively, they were viewed more than half a million times.

There was, however, a dissenting voice: Craig Mackinlay MP, elected representative for South Thanet – a far-flung promontory on the eastern edge of Kent, which is now home to a bitter struggle over the future of a disused local airport. “Make no mistake, this requires a radical transformation of every part of the economy and our freedoms,” he warned in an article for Conservative Home. “As ever, it will be the poor who suffer most from these elite delusions.”

Mackinlay, who has described Britain’s net-zero aspirations as a “social calamity” and insisted that “sooner or later, the public will rebel against this madness”, was not alone in framing decarbonisation through the lens of cultural division and class privilege. “This policy was wrong-headed from the start, dreamed up in the kitchen diners of Notting Hill, with no understanding of real people’s daily lives,” claimed Julian Knight, a fellow Tory MP, in a report published by an all-party parliamentary group chaired by Mackinlay that supports cheaper fuel for motorists. Steve Baker, another Conservative parliamentarian and a close ally of Mackinlay, has dismissed the Committee on Climate Change, which advises the government, as “unelected and unaccountable”. Earlier this year, Baker declared that “In net zero, as with Brexit, the political class has in a very, almost smug and self-satisfied way, built a consensus which is not going to survive contact with the public.” Instead, he predicted, “there’s going to be an enormous political explosion.”

Attempts to mobilise anti-elite sentiments against climate activists are nothing new. Wealthy celebrities who lecture others on environmental sustainability have always been charged with inauthenticity. In the 00s, Republican attacks on Al Gore, the former US vice-president whose personal fortune tops $300m, were one of the main drivers of polarisation among the American public on green issues. What has altered in the decade and a half since the release of Gore’s seminal 2006 film, An Inconvenient Truth, is our political landscape. In many parts of the world, the financial crash and years of subsequent turmoil have shredded electoral support for parties and politicians associated with the old order and propelled new forces into power, from Trump in the US to Brexiters in the UK.

The far greater economic costs of inaction on climate crisis were rarely mentioned in these reports, but again and again, efforts to reduce our collective carbon emissions were framed as an elitist power-grab. “People want a cleaner, greener planet,” wrote Andrew Neil for the Daily Mail in October. “But they will not tolerate a green strategy that involves posh folk telling plain folk what they must do. Especially when the posh folk are doing very nicely out of greenery and the plain folk are picking up the tab.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/11/inactivists-tangling-up-the-climate-crisis-in-culture-wars-manston-airport-kent

gently caress! Monsters. loving monstrous rotten fascist scum. Oh I wish I read this later in the day.

The article does end, admittedly, by taking a middle approach wherein the working class gets something nearly resembling a fair shake. But we know people read headlines and the first two or three paragraphs then move on so that is almost certainly a feint.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think we are 1-2 more COPEs from seeing some interesting messaging. People are frustrated now while the global south complains about the unfairness of the world thrust upon them. We are building bigger boats and airplanes while nodding and reassuring them that in ten years we will reduce our emissions somewhat. We are a few away from an American dictator standing on stage delivering a Cobra Commander speech about surrendering to us.

I'd be curious to see an actual accounting of the emissions from the Pre-Cope party in Milan and the Cope26 summit itself. There were apparently hundreds of fossil fuel lobbyists present.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Swallowing a gallon of paint on my deathbed and striking a pose, for the alien visitors

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

If the language makes it into the final text, it will be the first time a Conference of the Parties climate agreement makes any mention of the role of coal, oil and gas, the biggest contributors to the human-made climate crisis.
hahahahaa jesus christ gently caress me

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've got some good news for anyone worried about climate change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6OrCXP6BIE

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

People are dying from climate change already and the big conference about climate change might be able to mention fossil fuel this year.

We're making progress :thumbsup:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

my buddy just sent me this message from his work:

Reminder: Large internal meetings (≥ 10 people) should start with a Climate Moment. Visit the Climate Moment iPortal page for the presentation template, climate moment examples, guidance & ideas. Have or seen a great Climate Moment? Share it with your colleagues here.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I hope the climates moments are pictures of wildfires, floods, and draughts.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Norton posted:

Reminder: Large internal meetings (≥ 10 people) should start with a Climate Moment. Visit the Climate Moment iPortal page for the presentation template, climate moment examples, guidance & ideas. Have or seen a great Climate Moment? Share it with your colleagues here.

Is this like a land acknowledgement but somehow more useless

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

TACD posted:

hahahahaa jesus christ gently caress me

same

lol. lmao.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
A "Climate Moment" where you do a "Whos that pokemon?!" slide to guess which extinct animal we finally defeated

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Norton posted:

solving climate change by watching double rainbow guy

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Norton posted:

they probably don't mean "Climate Moment" == "absolutely horrific crack ping factoid" but this is definitely how I would choose to interpret it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Norton posted:

the right way to do this would be to start each meeting by discussing the best evacuation routes from climate disasters and which mountain ranges to hold up in waiting to starve

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

When that happens, do they die when a cold snap hits later, or will they try again during true spring?

Some will probably die outright, some will probably fail to establish from stress and then die, some will go dormant and be ok, some will be weakened and more likely to succumb to pests etc in spring, depends on the plant.

Warm temperatures + low daylight is not a combination most plants have to deal with for an extended period. Decreasing daylight generally puts plants into dormancy before the cold can damage them, and things planted in autumn to overwinter are planted to help their roots establish before the active growing season, not so they can grow during winter.

Low soil temperatures are not too troubling for a winter hardy dormant plant, but it's so warm here that it's raising the soil temperature enough for things to come out of dormancy. However because daylight hours are still decreasing, the night stretch is long enough to drop ground temperatures long enough to stress new growth. During spring cold snaps daylight hours are at least increasing and ground temperature will in general be rising, so they're easier to recover from.

Uneven rainfall (huge downpours followed by dry periods like I'm getting) makes this even more stressful on plants because they aren't growing actively enough or getting enough daylight to really need a lot of water but new growth does need sufficient, consistent water. When it rains hard on dry ground it drowns the surface, and the surface soil isn't getting enough daylight hours to really dry out, so new plants spend the night mucked in cold wet ground.

Some plants can tolerate this better than others, though most plants can't tolerate "all seasons, all climates, whenever"

My garlic should be ok unless it grows too heartily and then gets a bunch of snow dumped on long stalks or a really severe freeze. My onions are toast - between the warm weather and the rain, they'll rot well before spring.

Unfortunately a lot of what's popping up is native plants planted for a local 'Bulbs for Bees' project, and I don't have high hopes for them as they aren't established and aren't really able to go into and out of dormancy all winter in the way that something like garlic is. If this were March or even late February, it would probably be ok, but mid November? Uneven rainfall, early summer temps, decreasing daylight? Eh :shrug:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Denmark has a bulldozer that drives up and down a beach twice a week, picking up all the plastic, then it wades into the ocean and dumps all of the plastic a few metres from the shore. $150,000 a year for this.

TACD posted:

they probably don't mean "Climate Moment" == "absolutely horrific crack ping factoid" but this is definitely how I would choose to interpret it

You know it's a good fact when you mention projections of future agricultural output and someone curls up into a ball and starts sobbing

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thought of the day: I wonder if the rising popularity of simulation theory is the result of non-religious westerners becoming consciously aware that they are destroying life on earth, and subciously seeking a coping mechanism which absolves them of their lifestyles and the existential horror of now being able to witness the collapse of the natural world in real time.

In the absence of a God, they've reached for "*The world is a simulation, ergo it is not real, ergo we are not actually destroying anything*". Go YOLO, live a high carbon digital nomad life, who cares, it's all fake and when we die we'll just transcend to heaven, I mean out of the "simulation".

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Chamale posted:

Denmark has a bulldozer that drives up and down a beach twice a week, picking up all the plastic, then it wades into the ocean and dumps all of the plastic a few metres from the shore

Lol there's a video of it in the article. Good stuff

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Rime posted:

Thought of the day: I wonder if the rising popularity of simulation theory is the result of non-religious westerners becoming consciously aware that they are destroying life on earth, and subciously seeking a coping mechanism which absolves them of their lifestyles and the existential horror of now being able to witness the collapse of the natural world in real time.

In the absence of a God, they've reached for "*The world is a simulation, ergo it is not real, ergo we are not actually destroying anything*". Go YOLO, live a high carbon digital nomad life, who cares, it's all fake and when we die we'll just transcend to heaven, I mean out of the "simulation".

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kid is starting to talk about achieving zero emissions and the importance of implementing a nuclear+renewable power mix and I don't know how to tell them that we aren't going to be doing any of that. Are there any good resources about describing the reality of climate change to children? My instinct is to do so super gradually but just asking this should demonstrate my instincts aren't to be trusted.

On this subject it's incredible how strained pro- normalcy propaganda is becoming. Claiming that if we build out a nuclear fleet and cover the coasts in wind farms and everyone buys a Tesla while somehow sucking gigatons of CO2 from the air and spinning several other plates maybe we can avoid catastrophic +2C warming. In the '80s Captain Planet just asked us to reduce, reuse and recycle.

It's 17C today in NYC in the middle of November.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

i think you're reading too much into people joking about "lol the simulation is breaking down" and not just lolling at how stupid everything is.

could be wrong, but i'd take a gander that only the extreme alienphile area51 flat-earther BPD-type niche actually believe it

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The internet is very small compared to real life..

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Femur posted:

The internet is very small compared to real life..

also this

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

My kid is starting to talk about achieving zero emissions and the importance of implementing a nuclear+renewable power mix and I don't know how to tell them that we aren't going to be doing any of that. Are there any good resources about describing the reality of climate change to children? My instinct is to do so super gradually but just asking this should demonstrate my instincts aren't to be trusted.

On this subject it's incredible how strained pro- normalcy propaganda is becoming. Claiming that if we build out a nuclear fleet and cover the coasts in wind farms and everyone buys a Tesla while somehow sucking gigatons of CO2 from the air and spinning several other plates maybe we can avoid catastrophic +2C warming. In the '80s Captain Planet just asked us to reduce, reuse and recycle.

It sounds like your kid has a lot of cracks to ping about authority and capitalism in general and if they're the bookworm type I was my advice would be to introduce them to some history books outside of what's taught in school and see if they're interested. The sort of things that introductory courses to history in college teach to start depropagandizing people. Talk about the lessons that history's taught vs what's happening today. Cognitive dissonence should start the dominos tumbling from there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

What's the value in telling them that we'll never have stop using fossil fuels for power generation?

I honestly don't share your confidence that it will "never" happen, because its among the easiest and most profitable things to do for the climate. Far easier than switching over transportation or stopping land use change, etc etc. Like I'm not confident it will 100% happen either, but I don't know if the proof is laid out that we will never ever change over the grid.

But regardless, how else have you dealt with the prescriptive and descriptive distinction? Like you've probably already had that bummer of a discussion about racism, so its a similar thing with climate. The world should be like so, but sadly its more like thus, and getting between thus and so might have too many powerful things aligned against it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

remember water wheels, burning wood, feeding crops to work animals, etc all are renewables so really if you think a collapse is likely then 100% renewables for energy generation is a lock

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

why does the blurb gradually turn to piss yellow?

think you know why

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Jesus christ yall the biggest reason we cannot move away from fossil fuels is NOT because it's impossible (although it is very difficult) to produce energy without it. We can't because 1. Fossil fuels are used in so many consumer products that we have to reinvent whole cloth a lot of goods and their industries and 2. This one is more important, because there's no incentive for the oil banker barons to do so. The incentive would be a gun but we're still stuck with problems (1) and (0).

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

i think you're reading too much into people joking about "lol the simulation is breaking down" and not just lolling at how stupid everything is.

could be wrong, but i'd take a gander that only the extreme alienphile area51 flat-earther BPD-type niche actually believe it

no belief is a monolith so you have a group of people like us that joke about memory overflows in the simulation leading to Trump or that his presidency was the player hitting all of the SimCity disasters to see what happened.

There are big brain smarty pants that are serious about simulation theory trying to write articles and books about how reality could be a simulation for various reasons. Notoriety could be one, boredom another but Rime might be right that some people are motivated by the idea that reality isn't "real" reality so we aren't the biggest monsters in the actual universe or whatever.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rime posted:

I think it's just because everything is increasingly ridiculous and a farce. Like a simulation actually explains a few things. We could be in a simulation is what I'm saying

Also people irl are getting more and more concerned with what's going on, I really don't think it'll be long until we are in a (bigger) mental health crisis

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

No I was prompted into this thought by noticing that a lot of "influencer" accounts are suddenly casually yet incongruously dropping it on social media. Like:

*Perfectly photoshopped lifestyle sunrise in Joshua Tree*

"Sometimes the simulation is so beautiful"

And so on and so forth. Coupled with billionaires spouting off about it a lot more, I was idly wondering why.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think those people want to say god, byt ya know. Uncool.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
mid november and still half the trees are green, though at least like 4 or 5 trees actually changed color before dumping all their leaves finally

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

LOL. LMAO.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

a lot of people are increasingly hosed up and don't know how to probe the spiky ball of screaming existential terror gradually consuming their subconscious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
loving this one week of 67 degree weather followed by 35 degrees for a week followed by 63 degrees for a week