Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

But I think even Spiderman TAS was a lot better than this with more compelling characters, voice-acting, and writing.

It was very true to the comics since Spider-Man wasn't allowed to get married :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The X-Men thing is pretty exciting because every other animator I follow on twitter is working on it lol.

If they keep it going by finishing the 90s Spider-man cartoon tho :stare: and then Spectacular.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think they're likely to touch the Spectacular Spider-Man because that's still Sony's baby (at least, inasmuch as it isn't on D+ yet)

Glad to see all these cartoon announcements. It's going to be weird if the X-Men continuation series has profoundly better animation than the original though :v:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I re-watched X-Men TAS, most of it, a few years back and it's wildly uneven. Its lows are very low, and its highs are pretty great, though, especially for the time - although obviously it cannot compare to the DCAU. Its definitely got a level of bombast and X-TREME to it and as others have said, absolutely revels in the 90s. So it's not for everyone. I still enjoy it and find it really good comfort food, although part of that is absolutely having grown up on it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Didn't the guy who voices Apocalypse pass away? What's even the point if we can't get him back?

I'm much more looking forward to The Caped Crusder on HBO Max.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Which part? Because admittedly it's been a long time since I watched TAS and I bailed on Season 5 because I wasn't liking any of it. Bit in my experience, even fans of the show didn't like the final season.

But as for the rest of the series' badness, the writing and voice-acting are both laughably terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-K1D8y_Pxs

The costume designs are hideous. Jubilee was bad even by the standards of the 90s, imagine her in 2021.

And they did this to Jean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzc5VHL1bPM

Some people would point to Batman TAS and say "look at what a comic cartoon could be." But I think even Spiderman TAS was a lot better than this with more compelling characters, voice-acting, and writing.

People should just watch the Honest Trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BobmZglOk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Does that include the awful final season? And it was awful even by the show's standards

I was just talking to some folks elsewhere about what old comic toons hold up and how X-Men TAS definitely doesn't.

I guess it be too much to hope we'd get a continuation of X-Men Evolution. It's only the much better show with a lot more plot threads left hanging.

"Holds up" probably isn't the right phrase, but I think X-Men '96 is worth watching for at least the first couple of seasons (through Dark Phoenix at least) even among people too young to have seen it as an artifact of it's time.

Plus if the only 90s superhero cartoon someone has seen was BTAS, it's a good way to make them realize how bad we actually had it as kids. "Oh you've seen the best super hero cartoon from the mid 90s, have you seen the second best?" Because X-Men probably is the second best which tells you everything you need to know about the rest.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skwirl posted:

"Holds up" probably isn't the right phrase, but I think X-Men '96 is worth watching for at least the first couple of seasons (through Dark Phoenix at least) even among people too young to have seen it as an artifact of it's time.

Plus if the only 90s superhero cartoon someone has seen was BTAS, it's a good way to make them realize how bad we actually had it as kids. "Oh you've seen the best super hero cartoon from the mid 90s, have you seen the second best?" Because X-Men probably is the second best which tells you everything you need to know about the rest.

I defend my precious assertion Spiderman TAS was not only better than X-Men TAS, it was legit good. I loved how everything was connected, even B:TAS tended to be episodic while everything that happened in Spiderman played into the larger mythos.

And while I give due respect to TAS Apocalypse who was legit good, TAS Kingpin was just as amazing and was fear more prominent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwauBJAfMXg

And he wasn't alone. Jennifer Hale as Black Cat, Solid Snake as Captain America, and of course Christopher Daniel Barnes was great as Peter.

AlternateNu posted:

People should just watch the Honest Trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8BobmZglOk

You know that lady who voiced Jean here with her X-gasms also voiced Jill Valentine in original RE3 and does basically the exact same thing there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well I mean Rogue's VA has been outta a job since October....

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Spidey TAS is good but it's also got the worst pacing in the world and moves at like, a mile a minute. It's exhausting to watch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vandar posted:

Spidey TAS is good but it's also got the worst pacing in the world and moves at like, a mile a minute. It's exhausting to watch.

Some of the fights can be pretty annoying to watch, because the show was infamously not allowed to have Spider-Man throw punches, but it's not like the fight choreography worked around it by having him do a lot of other inventive moves. It sometimes felt like he was just there to dodge things or get hit or run around.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the pacing, editing, and animation of Spider-Man TAS kills any good qualities the show might have

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first season will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first time we had really seen Spider-Man move in a cool way with good animation. That first episode against the Lizard set a high bar.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Man TAS absolutely does not have good animation.

if you mean "better than Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends animation" then I'd agree

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Probably depends on your definition of Super Hero show, cause Gargoyles probably fits into the number 2 slot more than 90's X-Men, and if you don't count Gargoyles as one than I'd probably put Darkwing Duck or Freakazoid into the number two slot instead

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Gargoyles was absolutely incredible.

And I mean, yeah, if you want to talk about how the censors took a bat to Spider-Man; they say 'die' and 'kill' more times in the first episode of Darkwing Duck than they do in the entire run of Spider-Man TAS. It's unreal.

90s cartoons were a mixed bag in general and even within themselves. Batman TAS is unique and remarkable not only in how excellent it was, but how uniformly excellent it was - and I don't just mena from episode to episode. The writing, animation, and voice acting were all fantastic. Most 90s cartoons were kind of 'good writing, good animation, good voice acting; pick two or less.' Gargoyles had incredible writing and voice acting, but the animation was generally nothing special. And in general it feels like that was the norm for the 90s; most shows had at least good voice acting, some had good writing, but from what I recall looking back on what I grew up with, very few had animation that would stand out as 'great' even by modern standards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

Spider-Man TAS absolutely does not have good animation.

if you mean "better than Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends animation" then I'd agree

In general, no. But it did have bright spots. There are shots that have been gifs and message board avatars (*cough*) since the early days of the internet, like in the Lizard or Dr. Octopus episodes, because of how good they looked.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The fun (well, "fun") thing about Fox's X-Men and Spider-Man shows is that they're a lot more representative of the comics in general than the DCAU was. There's a real "everything and the kitchen sink" approach, as opposed to trying to pick and choose the very best material and trying to elevate it. I kind of hope we see a bit of that in the new version. I'm not sure how long it is going to be running, but there's no shortage of material to touch on; Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, New X-Men, Astonishing, House of M, Utopia... and that's just with the core team, we never saw too much of the New Mutants, X-Force (either incarnation), X-Factor, X-etc in the original Series. Hell, I know I would like to see an episode about the X-Statix.

And you have to admit, establishing Krakoa makes for a pretty kickass open ended finale compared to "And so the battle continues" while still operating out of the school

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The episode(s?) of Spider-Man TAS where he's mutating and then the X-Men show up loving blew my mind as a kid. Like as much as it was a meme a few years back the whole 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover in history' that's legit how that episode felt to me as a kid.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The episode(s?) of Spider-Man TAS where he's mutating and then the X-Men show up loving blew my mind as a kid. Like as much as it was a meme a few years back the whole 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover in history' that's legit how that episode felt to me as a kid.

After a certain point, Spidey TAS became 'crossovers, the series' and it was loving awesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Probably depends on your definition of Super Hero show, cause Gargoyles probably fits into the number 2 slot more than 90's X-Men, and if you don't count Gargoyles as one than I'd probably put Darkwing Duck or Freakazoid into the number two slot instead

OG Animaniacs was better than Freakazoid. But if we're going to rank comic/action cartoons from the '90s, I'd put the top 2 as BTAS and Gargoyles with Exo Squad at a close third. What set the shows apart was really the writing. Even though they were all ostensibly written for children, they never talked down to the audience and were willing to deal with more complicated themes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
honestly, it's just so weird that Marvel Studios is producing an X-Men 90s revival and that it'll be their first X-Men project, on multiple levels

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The 90s Spiderman show was okay, and it was one of the few that was actually still airing so I could catch it on TV, but I feel like it has even more issues with pacing from having just the one main character constantly in focus, who I just didn't like as much. There wasn't all the screaming, but there also weren't really many moments of calm, Peter Parker's monologue is constantly running, inside and out. The story didn't get as weird, lower highs and higher lows, I guess. The theme song wasn't very good.

There were a bunch of other Marvel shows in the 90s that I've never really gotten the chance to check out, and they might not've even had a home media release at the time (which was how I was able to get into the X-Men in the first place). I don't think mullet Iron Man left much of an impression, but maybe that Hulk show could've been good.

Skwirl posted:

The Phoenix Saga is a pretty great example of the advantages of being able to write one of the famous stories after you already know where it's going to end. In the comics it was a much sloppier mess. Bringing in the Soul Drinker early to ease in the introduction of aliens was a good move, and that was a brilliantly creepy episode.

OnimaruXLR posted:

The fun (well, "fun") thing about Fox's X-Men and Spider-Man shows is that they're a lot more representative of the comics in general than the DCAU was. There's a real "everything and the kitchen sink" approach, as opposed to trying to pick and choose the very best material and trying to elevate it. I kind of hope we see a bit of that in the new version. I'm not sure how long it is going to be running, but there's no shortage of material to touch on; Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, New X-Men, Astonishing, House of M, Utopia... and that's just with the core team, we never saw too much of the New Mutants, X-Force (either incarnation), X-Factor, X-etc in the original Series. Hell, I know I would like to see an episode about the X-Statix.

And you have to admit, establishing Krakoa makes for a pretty kickass open ended finale compared to "And so the battle continues" while still operating out of the school

B:TAS was much more aware of the opportunity to start over from scratch, and got to feel a lot more mature curating all the stuff it adapted so the sillier ideas wouldn't get in, but I think some of the fun of the comics was lost in the process. B:TAS compensated for that by contriving some fun of its own with new characters and plots (many of which people just quietly forget about like the Sewer King), but X-Men was fully zany from the start.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-Men Evolution deserves it more. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There was the F4 cartoon with fuckin' Tony Jay as Galactus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUJOeuxpXE

I think that's the only thing worth remembering about it. He was Baron Mordo in Spidey TAS instead of Dormammu which is kind of weird but oh well.

Dawgstar posted:

Preach! I'm so tempted to do a rewatch of it again. It's honestly my favorite comic cartoon ever. Not the best maybe but still so damned good in so many ways. If we're talking adaptations that take a chance and do their own thing, Evo deserve all the props for being so ambitious. I think one of its most daring moves was responding to Wolverine's even greater popularity due to his portrayal in TAS by...having him be the old man (Logan) in a show centered on the kids. He's a main character but decidedly less important or prominent than the others.

Back during my last rewatch, I tried to look up some research on the show or its fandom and while it's hardly definitive, I found these polls
http://evolution.eracerx.com/polls.php

quote:

Favorite XMen?
Professor X (22) 1%
Wolverine (404) 11%
Cyclops (208) 6%
Jean Grey (310) 9%
Nightcrawler (715) 20%
Rogue (978) 27%
Shadowcat (557) 15%
Storm (260) 7%
Beast (35) 1%
Spyke (108) 3%

Now, I'm biased so I'm happy to agree with any poll saying Evo Rogue (my fave character) is also the most popular. But everything I've ever read seems to agree she was a hit because of this show and its interpretation of her. Wolverine meanwhile is below her, Kurt, and Kitty.

Also neat poll:

quote:

Favorite New Recruit?

Berzerker (254) 9%
Boom Boom (618) 21%
Cannonball (115) 4%
Iceman (774) 26%
Jubilee (172) 6%
Magma (415) 14%
Multiple (226) 8%
Sunspot (88) 3%
Wolfsbane (280)

But yeah, I'd love to see more Evo. RIP Kirby Morrow though, they'd need to find a new voice for Scott.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 12, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm going to be honest, I was skeptical about X-Men Evolution from Day 1, and when Nightcrawler was turned into a German version of Fez from that 70s show, I outright hated it

Show gave me very intense "AND THE PROM'S TOMORROW!" energy, which isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself, but it felt like it's fusion of hi-school hijinx and superheroics was more poorly executed than say, Static Shock, or any of the actual comic books about super teens that I was reading at the time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

There was the F4 cartoon with fuckin' Tony Jay as Galactus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUJOeuxpXE

I think that's the only thing worth remembering about it. He was Baron Mordo in Spidey TAS instead of Dormammu which is kind of weird but oh well.

No, this is the only thing worth remembering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73P7b9k0xI

Also X-Men Evolution got better each season, especially when they moved away from the high school setting.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They should revive the OG Spiderman cartoon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scaramouche posted:

They should revive the OG Spiderman cartoon

If we get more stuff like a fan boat made out of webs, complete with functional web motor, I'm all for it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

OnimaruXLR posted:

Show gave me very intense "AND THE PROM'S TOMORROW!" energy, which isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself, but it felt like it's fusion of hi-school hijinx and superheroics was more poorly executed than say, Static Shock, or any of the actual comic books about super teens that I was reading at the time.

The Prom episode was the best one!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dawgstar posted:

X-men Evolution got a decent amount of seasons at least, and a decent ending. Wolverine and the X-Men deserves it more.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

NikkolasKing posted:

Now, I'm biased so I'm happy to agree with any poll saying Evo Rogue (my fave character) is also the most popular. But everything I've ever read seems to agree she was a hit because of this show and its interpretation of her. Wolverine meanwhile is below her, Kurt, and Kitty.

Everybody love goth gf, duh.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I prefer sassy southern 90s Rogue. :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Do it for her but it's Evo Rogue.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's one sequence of Spider-man TAS that lives in my head rent free. Spidey and Daredevil are teaming up to prove that Fisk is framing Peter for treason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkq1hlWyYRg

In little over two minutes like six acts pass by and they burn through half their explosion stock footage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think the big problem with returning to the 90s show is that there is going to be a level of irony built into it that will change the feel. It was a product of its time and someone making it today is going to be trying to replicate something that came naturally and that always feels off. Like it could still be funny/good/etc but I feel like it won't be as incredibly earnest as the 90s show was.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think the big problem with returning to the 90s show is that there is going to be a level of irony built into it that will change the feel. It was a product of its time and someone making it today is going to be trying to replicate something that came naturally and that always feels off. Like it could still be funny/good/etc but I feel like it won't be as incredibly earnest as the 90s show was.

Oh, absolutely. These are going to be trash. It's just going to be a matter of how entertainingly bad they are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorningMoon posted:

There's one sequence of Spider-man TAS that lives in my head rent free. Spidey and Daredevil are teaming up to prove that Fisk is framing Peter for treason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkq1hlWyYRg

In little over two minutes like six acts pass by and they burn through half their explosion stock footage.

Wait, what? Peter crawled into a manhole somewhere in Manhattan and then went through the sewers all the way to his Aunt's house in Queens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Wait, what? Peter crawled into a manhole somewhere in Manhattan and then went through the sewers all the way to his Aunt's house in Queens?

There's a lot of questionable geography in Spidey TAS