Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Somehow, Boba Fett returned.

Even the Sarlacc won't eat trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then again I always thought, pre prequels, that the clones would have been the bad guys.
I also thought this growing up!

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The Rise of Skywalker made me realize that you can, in fact, make a movie that can blow your mind and simultaneously suck total rear end. Stars Wars, a land of contrasts
I've probably mentioned it in here before, but it really is a baffling movie. On one hand, you have some legit cool cinematography (the Death Star fight comes to mind) and I like a good redemption story. On the other hand, most of the plot elements including the #1 thing driving the plot forward make no sense and are never explained.

I also caught Last Jedi on TV recently, and I think I actually liked it more than when I first saw it.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Super Troupers are from Space Sweden
Clone Clown Troupers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Okay okay fine, heres my opinion on the star wars sequels: force awakens was watchable, the last jedi and rise of skywalker were not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OBI WAN is of course the clone 0B-1

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If you're gonna have Palpatine be the big bad then the fact that he's alive should be the mid-movie twist, not the thing that all the characters already know because they were playing Fortnite when he started streaming from his twitch account

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just do darth jar jar. If its gonna be laughable might as well go all the way

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then again I always thought, pre prequels, that the clones would have been the bad guys.

They were ultimately loyal to palpatine so they kinda were?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, from the original trilogy I always envisioned it was either an army of clones the Republic was fighting or a whole thing where people were fighting clones of themselves or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Full Metal Jacket, which I love (gently caress the haters who rag on the 2nd half):

Matthew Modine is nicknamed "Private Joker" but the thing is, he's not funny at all. Maybe that's the joke but his John Wayne impression sucks rear end and his material is all flat yet everyone around him cracks up like he's crushing it on open mic night. I know he was saddled with the moniker in boot camp but the other guys in the field didn't know that and I don't recall laughing at a single one of his jokes. He was borderline funny when he was shown speaking truth to power but I didn't really read that as comedy he was providing.

R. Lee Ermey and The Colonel giving him poo poo about his peace sign and helmet graffitti were much funnier.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tunicate posted:

OBI WAN is of course the clone 0B-1

Lol nope, they called him Old Ben even back then.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Last Jedi deserves some praise for very deliberately avoiding all the stupid fanfictiony retread poo poo from the first film.

Not all of it worked but at least they tried.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

Matthew Modine is nicknamed "Private Joker" but the thing is, he's not funny at all.
lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Last Jedi deserves some praise for very deliberately avoiding all the stupid fanfictiony retread poo poo from the first film.

Not all of it worked but at least they tried.

There were like, a couple good ideas in there (when kylo ren is trying to convince rey to join in him and is all "lets make something new, gently caress the old" was the one point of excitement in the film for me) and the studio meddling must have been horrendous, but loving hell the film is incoherent and rambling for the most part, much like my posting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'll take "this film is a loving mess" over "this film is bland and insipid" any day.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat posted:

He was borderline funny when he was shown speaking truth to power
More like Private Jester

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'll take "this film is a loving mess" over "this film is bland and insipid" any day.

Yeah, An interesting over ambitious gently caress up is always better than something that doesn't even try.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'll take neither and you can't stop me :mad:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, An interesting over ambitious gently caress up is always better than something that doesn't even try.
Where does Tommy Wiseau's magnum opus The Room fall, here?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Room is trying very hard, harder than necessary just because it's more expensive and therefore more legit. Wiseau had a rooftop set with a green screen constructed for the roof scenes, but constructed outside so there'd be inconsistent natural light they'd have to correct for afterwards, then had the set deconstructed and 2 weeks later rebuilt to shoot more.

They had to find a rooftop in San Francisco they could shoot the green screen backgrounds for, shrug a variety of lighting conditions to match what they already shot. Tommy said "oh I own a building, we can use that roof." In fact they could have shot all the rooftop scenes there but that wouldn't have been "how real movies are made."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Room is a middle aged polish dude trying very very hard to make a Real American Movie without having even the slightest inkling of an idea about how filmmaking actually works and it's gloriously stupid and incompetent.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

FFT posted:

Where does Tommy Wiseau's magnum opus The Room fall, here?
The important part is that it did not fall because I hit it. I did not! It's bullshit!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes but also he hired a bunch of people who do know what they're doing, but then wouldn't let them do their jobs correctly. It's this incredible blend of insane nincompoopery and perfectly reasonable daytime-TV level competence.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

BiggerBoat posted:

Full Metal Jacket, which I love (gently caress the haters who rag on the 2nd half):

Matthew Modine is nicknamed "Private Joker" but the thing is, he's not funny at all. Maybe that's the joke but his John Wayne impression sucks rear end and his material is all flat yet everyone around him cracks up like he's crushing it on open mic night. I know he was saddled with the moniker in boot camp but the other guys in the field didn't know that and I don't recall laughing at a single one of his jokes. He was borderline funny when he was shown speaking truth to power but I didn't really read that as comedy he was providing.

R. Lee Ermey and The Colonel giving him poo poo about his peace sign and helmet graffitti were much funnier.

"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam...the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...and kill them" is as funny as gently caress, op.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BiggerBoat posted:

Perhaps that was Kubrik, Herr and Hasford's intent?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rascar Capac posted:

"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam...the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...and kill them" is as funny as gently caress, op.

forgot about that one. true

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know for a fact I am not the target audience, but does anyone else get squicked at how loud and obnoxious various kissing is in movies between a dude and a chick? Like the kind of PDA you'd see in high school between a couple who would break up every few days, only to get back together and have loud smacking sessions where everyone could see?

I can't remember a single kiss between gay or lesbian couples that even comes close.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In the world of Equilibrium, where the clerics know the statistical outcomes of typical gun fights, why wouldn't you train the most important guards protecting "father" to not do that? Hire a bunch of spray and pray noobs, don't hire highly skilled military guys who actually aim if that's what the clerics are trained on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Away all Goats posted:

They were ultimately loyal to palpatine so they kinda were?

The whole point of the prequels is that the entire premise of the war was artificially created and escalated, what with both armies being literally mass-produced in factories on the command of the same guy.

Funny thing is that the Clone Wars shows in particular demonstrate that the clones themselves are arguably better people than their genetic template; they're loyal, professional, and do their best to complete their objectives and avoid collateral damage, compared to the droids who all too eagerly commit war crimes at any opportunity. Even one episode with a deserter clone shows he's a good person who doesn't begrudge his brothers for choosing to remain loyal to a cause they believe in. The tragedy is in their creation because we know exactly what caused it and where it's going to end up. And the clones being replaced with the Stormtroopers, who'd go on to embody the opposite of all the positive traits they had, was definitely the intention in the long run.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In the world of Equilibrium, where the clerics know the statistical outcomes of typical gun fights, why wouldn't you train the most important guards protecting "father" to not do that? Hire a bunch of spray and pray noobs, don't hire highly skilled military guys who actually aim if that's what the clerics are trained on.
Given Bale's super-Goku powers it wouldn't have made any difference (see the swordfight with the other Cleric inside Father's office). But it would have been a good idea to try.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

Matthew Modine is nicknamed "Private Joker" but the thing is, he's not funny at all.

He doesn't give his best material in public. The film is quite clear that he is a Private Joker (a joker for money).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ynohtna posted:

He doesn't give his best material in public. The film is quite clear that he is a Private Joker (a joker for money).
He lives in a private society

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, what eventually happened to all of Boba Fett’s dads?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

That Star Wars movie had a space horse calvary charge on a star destroyer.

In a series and movie full of idiotic poo poo that was the scene where I gave up.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, what eventually happened to all of Boba Fett’s dads?

He got his head chopped off by Mace Windu.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The dumb thing with the clones is that they picked ONE dude to clone. Why not a few guys? Because if Jango had some health condition, your super army is going down pretty quickly. Someone finds out the dude is allergic to peanuts, it's game over.

Although I would like to see the vetting process. You know there was a dozen dudes or so to be Head Clonee, so there had to be interviews and physicals involved. "Okay, so why should we clone you?"

"Well, I've always been super passionate about democracy dying. And I have always wondered, if you gently caress a clone, is that incest or masturbation?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was so special about Boba Fett's dad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed the rationale was that he was the ideal ultrachad genetic superman and that's why he is the best bounty hunter.

Though the question then becomes why not bugger about with the genetics to make them even tougher? The clone planet whose entire economy apparently revolves around cloning can't do anything other than copy a dude? Why not make the warhammer space marines?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What was so special about Boba Fett's dad?
He could shoot two guns at the same time, which always looks cool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ynohtna posted:

So not a Major Joker then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

I assumed the rationale was that he was the ideal ultrachad genetic superman and that's why he is the best bounty hunter.

Though the question then becomes why not bugger about with the genetics to make them even tougher? The clone planet whose entire economy apparently revolves around cloning can't do anything other than copy a dude? Why not make the warhammer space marines?
They gently caress around enough with the genes that the clones grow up to be adults in a few years, I guess they would also get all the bits and bobs fixed at the same time.