Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i dislike greatly how some games on iOS and presumably mac now have their own internal updating system so when you launch a game it has like a 3gb update that it has to run and can't do in the background because it only updates when you want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have had no problems playing Kerbal Space Program and Nanosaur, so as far as I’m concerned Mac gaming is as good as it gets.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

To update this thread, since I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats waiting to hear about my laptop order, it finally shipped today and says it'll be delivered Monday!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Perplx posted:

Apple doesn't want to promote "serious gaming" because it's toxic, it all 12 year old screaming the n-word and swatting each other to death.

This was definitely the case in the 2000s and there are Apple mgmt people on record addressing that. There was always an undercurrent (or overcurrent) of homophobia/etc to the “gamer” hate for Apple, and Apple was perfectly happy to be like “yep, we’re the gay computer company. We make computers for gays”.

Ultimately I believe that Apple turning its back to the existing catalog of AAA games and to current AAA gaming culture is a long term mistake for them and counter to their aims.

It’s no secret that Apple’s brand for the Mac is as the “platform for creators”, be they working in film, photo, music, publishing, etc. There’s been a particular focus on the “independent” creator—the YouTuber, the independent musician, the freelance artist, the aspirant, the hobbyist, etc.

Streaming continues to grow massively in popularity, and when you look at how ubiquitous and popular it is with the youngest cohorts online, it’s hard not to see Apple’s relative absence in that space as a big red flag.

Sure, the iPhone has no issue being a tier 1 Tiktok platform. But Apple is virtually absent in the Twitch/Youtube Streaming/etc sphere.

Furthermore, it was really telling earlier this year when Tim gave a somewhat exasperated answer to an interview question about games, stating flatly “I’m not a gamer”.

I don’t think Apple’s c-suite sees games as media in the way that they see film and music and TV as media. Steve famously had a whole philosophy about how the only way that iTunes/etc could be taken seriously as a marketplace was by striving to have everything, certainly all of the good stuff.

How could iTunes truly be a replacement for your record store if the loving Beatles weren’t on it? So Apple fought tooth and nail for years to get the Beatles catalog. iTunes movie rentals and purchases wouldn’t have succeeded without all of the Disney and Star Wars films.

Apple doesn’t yet seem to understand that games—individual, specific games—have the same level of cultural permanence as films. That you, as a platform, can’t simply treat them as disposable and temporary. That people have been playing Skyrim for a decade and GTA V almost as long, and they still play Morrowind and GTA 3 as well. That your Steam library isn’t functionally all that different from a library of movies, and that people today treat playing a classic game like they treat putting on a classic movie.

At a time when some of the biggest independent content creators are streamers, Apple’s absence feels like a problem.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Really hoping this gets fixed. This is after ~2 days of use since last rebooting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Roadie posted:

Currently shipping is screwed up for a whole heap of things because of the huge backlogs at any number of ports.

Yeah but it's express, so I assume that means via air? if it was by ship it would have been a month at least.

Also, bring back Spaceward Ho goddamn it! :argh:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I think the backlog in boat shipping is also affecting air. My laptop sat in Korea for 10 days and then was in Colorado overnight. Every day it was “on the way” but it was clear UPS had no idea what day they’d actually be able to get it on a plane.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Last Chance posted:

i dislike greatly how some games on iOS and presumably mac now have their own internal updating system so when you launch a game it has like a 3gb update that it has to run and can't do in the background because it only updates when you want to play it.

This is due to limitations on how large updates pushed by the App Store can be. There’s a reasonably small cap on download size when updating over cellular data, so in order to make sure that the app is always kept up to date the developers will publish their updated code as an App Store update, then require you to download all the content in-app. This also lets them sidestep certification processes when they want to push out new content without any code changes.

This isn’t a problem outside of the mobile space, since those restrictions don’t exist on computers always connected to wifi.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

blastron posted:

This is due to limitations on how large updates pushed by the App Store can be. There’s a reasonably small cap on download size when updating over cellular data, so in order to make sure that the app is always kept up to date the developers will publish their updated code as an App Store update, then require you to download all the content in-app. This also lets them sidestep certification processes when they want to push out new content without any code changes.

This isn’t a problem outside of the mobile space, since those restrictions don’t exist on computers always connected to wifi.

I wish the size were configurable. I know not everyone does but I have 5g and unlimited data so I wish I could set it to ‘I don’t give a gently caress download it anyway’

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Really tempted to upgrade this year because these M1s are nuts for video editing. My 2016 MacBook Pro is looking like poo poo compared to this new lot.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Perplx posted:

Apple doesn't want to promote "serious gaming" because it's toxic, it all 12 year old screaming the n-word and swatting each other to death.

Also the code quality is crap, hmm yes 50GB day one patches and also you need the latest windows to get this directx point release, don't forget the 800MB gameready driver. Apple would rather cater to casual gamers.

I agree in principle. Still, I'm someone who would love the next big iMac to be able to play age of empires, or diablo, or Subnatica, or old call of duty for zombies modes, or Skyrim and Fallout 4 no problem. I'm talking more AA games or triple A games of the past. Fortnite was the last (and hopefully my last) "Current multiplier" game that I will play. Most single player games are covered by my PS5 and Switch, but most of the ones I just listed would be better with mouse and keyboard, and I don't really want to spend a thousand to build a machine and the hours to get it to play such a small sub section of games I'll mess around with ten hours a less a week.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I agree in principle. Still, I'm someone who would love the next big iMac to be able to play age of empires, or diablo, or Subnatica, or old call of duty for zombies modes, or Skyrim and Fallout 4 no problem. I'm talking more AA games or triple A games of the past. Fortnite was the last (and hopefully my last) "Current multiplier" game that I will play. Most single player games are covered by my PS5 and Switch, but most of the ones I just listed would be better with mouse and keyboard, and I don't really want to spend a thousand to build a machine and the hours to get it to play such a small sub section of games I'll mess around with ten hours a less a week.

I think the moral of the story is we have a few choices, but all of them except not playing the games, involves buying something other than a Mac.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Dolphin is M1 native for Gamecube games, why would you need anything else to play?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah emulators run great it’s all you need for gaming on a laptop

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
just lulzing at the small hand goons and the epic frailty goons who can't seem to get it together enough to lift the mighty heft of the sixteen incher with its larger than wife battery life.

epic 2012 username fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 13, 2021

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lemon King posted:

AFAIK the only thread of hope for people that want an Apple Game Console / Apple Gaming in general is if this rumor/leak actually comes to fruition in some form: https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/apple-leak-claims-a-nintendo-switch-style-games-console-is-coming-but-i-dont-believe-it

They might have been able to make a stab at it with AppleTV.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Like others have said don't buy a Mac as a primary gaming platform, however, game availability is frankly a lot better right now than I ever expected.

I haven't ever bought a game intending to play it on a Mac, but a full quarter of my Steam library (67/207) already supports macOS out of the box.

Out of this list, I know AC: Brotherhood isn't playable due to being 32bit, and Elite is showing up because it's installed on my PC. I was surprised to see Subnautica, Battletech, American/Euro Truck Sim, Cities Skylines, Transport Fever 2, and Timberborn on the list.

I also have an additional 29 games on Epic Games Store including Ark, Borderlands 3, Soma, and Hades.

I just returned from a week working out of a hotel and rail terminal in Houston and my new M1 Macbook Pro was flawless for work and great for games in the evening. I'm not going to bother packing my Switch anymore.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Anyone ITT who wants to get serious about mac gaming is invited to message me and I'll send you a steam key for my recently released game, Yogurt Commercial 3. That's a $9.99 value for free!

After I get my new macbook set up I can even build an M1 native version.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Like others have said don't buy a Mac as a primary gaming platform, however, game availability is frankly a lot better right now than I ever expected.

I haven't ever bought a game intending to play it on a Mac, but a full quarter of my Steam library (67/207) already supports macOS out of the box.

Out of this list, I know AC: Brotherhood isn't playable due to being 32bit, and Elite is showing up because it's installed on my PC. I was surprised to see Subnautica, Battletech, American/Euro Truck Sim, Cities Skylines, Transport Fever 2, and Timberborn on the list.

I also have an additional 29 games on Epic Games Store including Ark, Borderlands 3, Soma, and Hades.

I just returned from a week working out of a hotel and rail terminal in Houston and my new M1 Macbook Pro was flawless for work and great for games in the evening. I'm not going to bother packing my Switch anymore.

yeah, for all that ppl poo poo on mac gaming availability, much if not most of my steam library is Mac native. And of the 67 games that you mentioned, like those are all for the most part really good games.

MacOS may not have every game, but it has many of the games that I play and that I want to play and spend most of my time playing, and that's what's ultimately important. The studios whose games I tend to like, and the genres of games that I tend to play, are for the most part largely on Mac.

I now have a PC with a 3060Ti for anything like MS Flight Sim and Game Pass, but I honestly don't really play or like most of the really popular PC games. I played GTAV on 360 and it wasn't great but I got p deep into it and then I never played it again and now it's way too late to get into the online and I'm not really interested when I still mainly play more Hades than literally anything else. I'm way over Skyrim. I don't like any of the Far Crys. I'm not gonna play Cyberpunk. gently caress Blizzard and also I got bored of Diablo 3 fast. Ubisoft is grotesque.

Now, don't get me wrong Xbox Game Pass is a hell of a deal, but aside from that fairly unique service, I'm never going to have more than like 15-20 AAA games and many more indies on a console.

I have just 6 big first party nintendo games and a buttload of smaller things, rereleases, and indies on my Switch.

Anyway, EVE is on Apple Silicon now and that should be all that matters to goons anyway

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why don't you have the first PIllars of Eternity?

Also cool to see that Disco Elysium works

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Not only does Disco Elysium work, it's one of the first M1 native games!

I still haven't finished D: OS 2! PoE games are on the backlog

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get on PoE since goon Rope Kid made it. Don't do the turn based mode though it takes forever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
It was a wild ride waiting for my new MacBook Pro. Delivery estimates had me thinking I'd be waiting until December to get it.

As of Nov 4th:
"Estimated Shipping: 4–5 weeks"

Nov 8th:
"Sent to Manufacturing"
Estimated Shipping: 4–5 weeks

Nov 9th:
"Preparing Shipment"

Nov 10th:
"Shipped"

Today: I get a text that a "laptop sized box" showed up for me. It went from manufacturing in China to being in my hand in just 4 days?

I didn't think I'd mind the notch, but I keep losing poo poo behind it. Did OneDrive crash? Nope, just hidden. I gotta figure out which status bar icons to hide now to keep important stuff visible.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If you’re using one of the major off-the-shelf game engines like UE4, there’s built-in support for compiling the game for macOS. You can pretty easily break that support by using other off-the-shelf components that don’t support macOS or write custom code that relies on platform- or hardware-specific functionality, but if you stay firmly within the sandbox then the only major obstacle to releasing a game for macOS is jumping through Apple’s hoops.

Whether or not this is actually worth it is up to the developer. Maintaining and supporting another platform is not free and Mac customers tend to be a small portion of the playerbase. I think the most optimistic numbers I’ve seen from indie developers I’ve talked to was they got maybe 5% more sales, tops, which isn’t nothing, but it’s definitely a hard sell.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

For the kind of games I actually want to play on a laptop, my M1 Air is probably the best gaming laptop I've ever owned lol. It does OpenMW, Infinity Engine games (which admittedly would run on an abacus), Darkest Dungeon, Paradox stuff, and I played through both KOTORs at the start of this year on it. Plus it barely gets warm and there's no fan to make noise. Pretty sick imo.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How is it playing a decently graphical game on the M1 Pro/Max? It's dreadful on my 2018 i9 because the heat and fan noise make even OpenMW unbearable after 5-10 minutes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I would imagine that is the most sought after 16". I have the 16GB /512SSD and I'm leaning towards returning it for the model you are waiting for.

16GB of shared memory does not appear to be enough, even for just a workload of Chrome and Outlook. Memory pressure sits at yellow which is beyond frustrating on a brand new machine.

e: this appears to be without a memory leak on any system functions

Do other people find 16GB to be insufficient for basic tasks on the new machines? I got 16GB because everything I read is that 16GB is plenty unless you know you need more for specific workloads.

And, well... that's been my experience. No memory issues like the kind being reported here.

I was all set to upgrade to the 24 core GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB but in the end I just felt like I didn't need any of that, and so far that's been true. The vast majority of my work is cloud based and I'm not spending disk space on gaming because I have an actual Ryzen/3080 based PC for that :shrug:

I went with the base 16 inch and have no regret whatsoever for my use cases. That being said, the 8GB 14 inch model does seem pretty rough... not sure if I would go that far.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Taima posted:

Do other people find 16GB to be insufficient for basic tasks on the new machines? I got 16GB because everything I read is that 16GB is plenty unless you know you need more for specific workloads.

And, well... that's been my experience. No memory issues like the kind being reported here.

I was all set to upgrade to the 24 core GPU, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB but in the end I just felt like I didn't need any of that, and so far that's been true. The vast majority of my work is cloud based and I'm not spending disk space on gaming because I have an actual Ryzen/3080 based PC for that :shrug:

I went with the base 16 inch and have no regret whatsoever for my use cases. That being said, the 8GB 14 inch model does seem pretty rough... not sure if I would go that far.

My M1 Air with 8GB is doing just fine. Nothing I do on that Mac is pro though.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I got 32 GB because I keep several Jetbrains editors and tons of tabs open at a time plus some containers. But I went for 14 GPU cores because I knew I’d be doing minimal graphic work and I have a PS5 for games. All depends on your workload.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nitsuga posted:

My M1 Air with 8GB is doing just fine. Nothing I do on that Mac is pro though.

you’re a pro poster in my heart

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Something funky is going on with HDR on the new MacBook Pros. Youtube was working fine the other day with HDR videos - you got the little "HDR" symbol on the settings wheel and the color codec under stats for nerds was bt2020. Now, it's just stopped working - no HDR symbol and color was bt709.

The fix, currently, seems to be to enable the develop settings in Safari and change your user agent to "google chrome - windows" when you play a video - this puts everything back to the way it was before. I'm thinking it is something they have turned off on Youtubes end to stop those crashes that people were experiencing? However, it also seems broken in Netflix and on HDR videos I play through iTunes so I'm not 100% on what is happening here (I cant change the user agent on Netflix as it just stopes the film playing with error messages). Lots of other people experiencing the same thing here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-no-longer-in-hdr.2323130/

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Quinch posted:

Something funky is going on with HDR on the new MacBook Pros. Youtube was working fine the other day with HDR videos - you got the little "HDR" symbol on the settings wheel and the color codec under stats for nerds was bt2020. Now, it's just stopped working - no HDR symbol and color was bt709.

The fix, currently, seems to be to enable the develop settings in Safari and change your user agent to "google chrome - windows" when you play a video - this puts everything back to the way it was before. I'm thinking it is something they have turned off on Youtubes end to stop those crashes that people were experiencing? However, it also seems broken in Netflix and on HDR videos I play through iTunes so I'm not 100% on what is happening here (I cant change the user agent on Netflix as it just stopes the film playing with error messages). Lots of other people experiencing the same thing here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-no-longer-in-hdr.2323130/

Can confirm HDR is not working for me in Safari OR Chrome.

Chrome actually shows that it is playing in HDR, but it's definitely not working. I can clearly tell that HDR is not on, and to prove it I used youtube-dl to download the same clip and play it side-by-side with Chrome.

You can tell clearly that HDR is not working on Chrome either, despite it showing "4k60 HDR". It's hard to capture on photo, but top left is the downloaded version, safari is bottom left, and chrome is on the right. You can tell the top left is overall brighter and yet the highlights of the plane aren't blown out.

If you turn on stats for nerds in youtube, it also shows color space bt709, which is not HDR. It should be bt2020.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 13, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My OG M1 13” w/16gb is consistently in the green (when I bother to check, anyway) with Outlook, Teams, Safari, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and whatever other garbage I leave open for weeks at a time on an OS that gets rebooted maybe once or twice a month. I have no doubt that it dips into swap every now and then but it’s never really affected me negatively. Completely anecdotal, of course — maybe I just don’t run the kinds of workloads that are expected to really stress a memory subsystem. But based on that I picked up a 16gb M1Pro and it seems fine so far.

Arguably if I expect this laptop to last me for another five or six years I should have went with 32gb just to futureproof tomorrow’s OS memory bloat or something, but I always have the option to trade up at some point and re-evaluate my “baseline needs” if it comes down to that so I’m not really super-stressing it.

But again, 100% anecdotal. I have zero trouble believing that others are having a hard time fitting what they need into 16gb. And who am I to judge their reaction to hitting swap? Some people, myself included, get cold sweats remembering what swap was like back when it was a spinning 4200rpm platter with awful seek times and that’s a memory that’s really hard to shake.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

hatty posted:

Yeah emulators run great it’s all you need for gaming on a laptop

OMG I just realized I probably won’t be able to run my AtariST emulator on the new laptop. :negative:

:smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

OMG I just realized I probably won’t be able to run my AtariST emulator on the new laptop. :negative:

Good news

code:
$ brew info hatari
hatari: stable 2.3.1 (bottled), HEAD
Atari ST/STE/TT/Falcon emulator
[url]https://hatari.tuxfamily.org[/url]
/opt/homebrew/Cellar/hatari/2.3.1 (37 files, 18.1MB) *
I just set up an ST for Cubase on my new M1 yesterday :)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Doctor Zero posted:

Which emulator do you use? The binary version of Hatarai runs just fine under Rosetta. It’s been compiled for Arm64 on other platforms so I’m sure it’ll be AS native eventually.

edit: marty beating me like the ninja he is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was gonna say, doesn’t Rosetta take care of anything that was intel-only? And pretty competently and fast at that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

It’s been compiled for Arm64 on other platforms so I’m sure it’ll be AS native eventually.

Even better news then :)

code:
$ file /opt/homebrew/Cellar/hatari/2.3.1/Hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/hatari
/opt/homebrew/Cellar/hatari/2.3.1/Hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/hatari: Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

23rd day of in processing for me today. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe we could save the "what is or is not a game" philosophical discussion for another thread. Thank you. :pray: