Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Do skill potentials only reduce MP costs? Or do they also make abilities stronger i.e. more damage/heal? If so, how does that work for buffs/debuffs? It's weird that there's literally no tutorial or explanation for this mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ojetor posted:

Do skill potentials only reduce MP costs? Or do they also make abilities stronger i.e. more damage/heal? If so, how does that work for buffs/debuffs? It's weird that there's literally no tutorial or explanation for this mechanic.

I was wondering this myself last night. It's only a feeling but ~30 hours in it really feels like it increases potency too, by a noticeable amount. I don't have numbers to back it up but given how many sutras the game gives you it would probably be pretty easy to test

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Finally about to start -- think I've been convinced to start on Normal.

How are the English voices? Are they tolerable, or is everyone running Japanese?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its in tokyo therefore japanese

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i tried to recruit a demon that was too strong and it told me to come back when i was stronger, i did and it remembered me and insta joined on seeing i was strong enough goty

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Stux posted:

i tried to recruit a demon that was too strong and it told me to come back when i was stronger, i did and it remembered me and insta joined on seeing i was strong enough goty

:O

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are some funny lines for trying to recruit a demon with your stock full as well. Well, well, if it isn't the rear end in a top hat with too many friends :mad:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

the other day one of my active demons interrupted my Talk action and had a full-on conversation including camera cut-ins with an enemy demon

they were old friends and reminisced about the old world

this was in a random encounter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the fusion animation owns lol

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Japanese VO download is over 3 gigs. Whoa! That's a lot of dialogue!

Also worth mentioning, since 3GB is a considerable amount of data for some peoples' Switches.

Aerox posted:

Finally about to start -- think I've been convinced to start on Normal.

How are the English voices? Are they tolerable, or is everyone running Japanese?

I played the first half hour in English before realizing I had to download the Japanese. Everyone I met so far sounded great (but generic-ish) in English. Standard high quality Atlus English VO.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 12, 2021

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Been playing V, haven't progress much but I can say it's pretty fun.

Gustave is a treat to hear.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Booky posted:

maybe i'll just look up protag names on the wiki and mash 2 together
my preferred technique is "random Japanese motorcycle and race car drivers I remember"

E) which led to my first p5 run having the awkwardness of duplicating a NPC name thanks to this dude https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Kitagawa

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 12, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The english dub is mostly generic atlus ok level with some occasional bad spots, for example any time ichiro dazai talks

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you ever get a free Spyglass effect?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on a scale of 1/10 how much have you cheated not the game but yourself if you use a guide instead of spyglassing

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

Do you ever get a free Spyglass effect?

Not that I've seen as of ~level 50. Unless it's an ability on a demon that I missed

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Feels like I spend more money on recovery than I make from grinding out fights, and now I'm scared of reaching an unwinnable state. How do I make money? Is there maybe some MP regen ability I can get?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Feels like I spend more money on recovery than I make from grinding out fights, and now I'm scared of reaching an unwinnable state. How do I make money? Is there maybe some MP regen ability I can get?

Yeah, recovery is expensive early on. MP regen outside of items doesn't come online until much later.

The best source of money, especially early, is not fighting but selling the stuff from the vending machines. If you're running low just do a loop around the vending machines on the part of the map you've reached so far and then sell it all. I'm not sure how they respawn, maybe just a timer? But in any case the map will tell you which ones are ready to be looted

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 12, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

on a scale of 1/10 how much have you cheated not the game but yourself if you use a guide instead of spyglassing

The problem is the ying-yang guys have shifting weaknesses

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

how do i get to the abscess thats south of nagatacho and west of kamiyacho in minato?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Not possible. Mitamas have random weaknesses. You need Spyglasses to not add even more RNG to killing them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a way to get a other Onmoraki essence early? I used up the essence on a demon when I didn't know what I was doing and would like to have Agi on my character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a way to get a other Onmoraki essence early? I used up the essence on a demon when I didn't know what I was doing and would like to have Agi on my character.

Having one in your team can give one upon leveling.

That said just keep moving forward. You can get a different Agi essence pretty quick

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I also felt like this at the start but once I reached the 4th or so save point I went back to the start to fully explore previous areas. I ended up picking a bunch of vending machine relics and essentially going from 800 to 6k macca. Feels like those are the primary source of money for this game.

e: A cool money saving trick: This game having on map monsters AND consistent spawn locations AND a quick and free fast travel system means you don't really need to summon anything from the demon compendium for fusing (unless you want a higher leveled version you registered). You can easily fast travel and get the demons you need via negotiation instead. The compendium feels really expensive in this game.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 12, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, I've found it a good tip to just obtain a copy of a demon after you use its essence and let it sit in your stock soaking exp. It will eventually give you a replacement copy of its essence. Very useful for eg phys resist ones, ones with rare resistance combos like black frost, etc, in case you need to switch away from them and back again

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 12, 2021

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ojetor posted:

I also felt like this at the start but once I reached the 4th or so save point I went back to the start to fully explore previous areas. I ended up picking a bunch of vending machine relics and essentially going from 800 to 6k macca. Feels like those are the primary source of money for this game.

e: A cool money saving trick: This game having on map monsters AND consistent spawn locations AND a quick and free fast travel system means you don't really need to summon anything from the demon compendium for fusing (unless you want a higher leveled version you registered). You can easily fast travel and get the demons you need via negotiation instead. The compendium feels really expensive in this game.

I tend to wait for full moons, and try to fuse a few mistakes using compendium summons whenever I hit a point where I feel like I need to restructure. Because of the prices, it does involve some level of save scum, but it doesn't feel super overwhelming as long as you have one demon. If you just summon two random demons to make a fusion as a general practice you will kill all your funds really fast, though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like compendium prices are pretty wack early but kinda normalize in the midgame after you get the second cost reduction miracle. At level 50 it's at the point I kind of expect with these games where the price usually feels worth the time saved over having to go negotiate

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

enojy posted:

The Japanese VO download is over 3 gigs. Whoa! That's a lot of dialogue!

Also worth mentioning, since 3GB is a considerable amount of data for some peoples' Switches.

I had to delete Smash Bros. for this lol

Maybe i should get an SDcard

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ojetor posted:

That's great to hear. I'm a habitual video game hoarder that beats games with 99 of everything, so fusing demons has always been the hardest part of SMT games to me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eventually cancelled my Amazon delivery after calling to get some clarity on when the hell was my game going to arrive and they hang up on us, and now I have to wait until Monday the earliest to get the game. Next time I wanna play a game D1 I have to make sure to preorder it with time instead of waiting for the cheap retailer to even have it, preorder was never on the table in the end.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I cancelled my Amazon preorder after it sat around unshipped and found out Gamestop had steelbooks on the shelf.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Eventually cancelled my Amazon delivery after calling to get some clarity on when the hell was my game going to arrive and they hang up on us, and now I have to wait until Monday the earliest to get the game. Next time I wanna play a game D1 I have to make sure to preorder it with time instead of waiting for the cheap retailer to even have it, preorder was never on the table in the end.

simply buy it on the eshop and it will be with you in a matter of minutes

Quek
Aug 7, 2006
Those who have played 5 some now, how min-max heavy is Hard mode? I'd like a challenge but don't want to feel punished for making slightly wrong character building decisions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Quek posted:

Those who have played 5 some now, how min-max heavy is Hard mode? I'd like a challenge but don't want to feel punished for making slightly wrong character building decisions.

It's pretty harsh early on but gets easier as you go. The first boss is a major wall to get past that will probably involve some grinding and minmaxing your team, and after that I feel like the main difference from normal would be how often enemies just godroll you and you explode. You can start on hard and go down to normal if it's not for you, that's what I did

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I see the default Magatsuhi skill enables crits even for magic, which is a new thing. Anyone know if there's eventually a miracle to allow magic crits outside of that? Might be a good build possibility to go high Magic & Luck if you can make spells crit...

Quek
Aug 7, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's pretty harsh early on but gets easier as you go. The first boss is a major wall to get past that will probably involve some grinding and minmaxing your team, and after that I feel like the main difference from normal would be how often enemies just godroll you and you explode. You can start on hard and go down to normal if it's not for you, that's what I did

Thank you this was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Hard mode it is.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
OK, the demon fusion cinematic rocks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The best English voice acting is gustave and it ain't even close

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hairy Right Hook posted:

I cancelled my Amazon preorder after it sat around unshipped and found out Gamestop had steelbooks on the shelf.

Gamestop closed in my country and the web says GAME has no available copies near me, so I guess I have to wait for the next shipment.

Stux posted:

simply buy it on the eshop and it will be with you in a matter of minutes

You are absolutely right, except I want to have the game physical for games I know I'd really like and want to make sure are always available! I'm just kinda venting and I guess I'm blaming myself for being an idiot and I should stop right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My copy is also going to arrive in the next 9h57m despite not having shipped yet. It is conceivable that it will get by then, but I just doubt it.