Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

It's nonsense because the fact that mbappe was going for the ball at all makes him offside before there's a touch from the defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
When is the next season of UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE, the intertoto cup for nations except not even good enough for gambling.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Gigi Galli posted:

When is the next season of UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE, the intertoto cup for nations except not even good enough for gambling.

Woah buddy, the nations league hasn't ended yet. There's still relegation matches in March

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

pik_d posted:

Yeah it's a poo poo rule. Garcia has to play it in that position because he can't be 100% sure Mbappe is offside, but because of where Mbappe is he needs to make an attempt.

https://streamwo.com/pm1H7uh

thats a crazy rule, is it in the premier league?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EC10 posted:

thats a crazy rule, is it in the premier league?

It's in the Laws of the Game

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

quote:

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
    or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Mbappe is clearly running onto where the ball is going but nothing he is doing qualifies for any of those offenses before Garcia touches it. He's going for it but he's not challenging for it yet.. Garcia is playing but ball but it is not a save, so that makes it "not considered to have gained an advantage", which is bullshit, because Mbappe was further away, Garcia would have known he had more time and wouldn't have made such a desperate lunge. But that's not covered.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 12, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
seems doable

https://twitter.com/theMadridZone/status/1447965656914276352?s=20

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Did I see Janne has a yellow card? He is an absolute legend

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Just came in to say: Penaldo!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I would like for Sweden to score

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Lol shaw you dolt

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Dirk Pitt posted:

Extremely lucky to not be down by two

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Swedish binmen need to start moving their feet

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hungary's ability to avoid yellow cards is quite magical

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Netherlands u21s smashing Wales' to bits. £9m right back on as sub. Should be laws against it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Dirk Pitt posted:

Easy peasy

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Isak owns but Sweden are way too lucky in this match

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Denmark first team through. Winning the world cup.

27-0

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Scandi national team and it’s just Denmark with Isak and Haaland thrown in

Phwoar

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
shameful cops failing at playing whack-a-magyar smdh

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
If we make it in for the first time in 22 years I’m going to be incredibly happy, childlike. What a time to boycot this shitshow, rn I think we would actually do it

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Gonna bring this up here because we (Italy) are in a precarious position where if we lose to Switzerland tonight there is a big chance that we wont qualify for the WC directly and we all know how the last playoff qualifier went. When is the last time the reigning European Champion didn't qualify for the subsequent World Cup? Has it ever happened?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gigi Galli posted:

Gonna bring this up here because we (Italy) are in a precarious position where if we lose to Switzerland tonight there is a big chance that we wont qualify for the WC directly and we all know how the last playoff qualifier went. When is the last time the reigning European Champion didn't qualify for the subsequent World Cup? Has it ever happened?

Greece didnt qualify for the 06 World Cup.

So probably that

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

The answer is always Greece.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Greece didnt qualify for the 06 World Cup.

So probably that

I can't believe I forgot about this. Greece, please forgive me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Spain may as well have not turned up to the 2014 WC too, but they did qualify, its the closest since Greece

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

We're missing 5 starters, nobody even knows how we'll line up. Plus we changed managers after the Euros. We could do the super underdog against all odds thing I guess but I think it's more likely that we're completely disjointed and can't get anything going.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Watching Scotland get Steve Clarked by Moldova

Robertson determined he’ll score a hat trick

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

greazeball posted:

We're missing 5 starters, nobody even knows how we'll line up. Plus we changed managers after the Euros. We could do the super underdog against all odds thing I guess but I think it's more likely that we're completely disjointed and can't get anything going.

I hope so lol

We're missing Chiellini, Immobile, Zaniolo and Pellegrini but the only one that really has no equal replacement is Chiellini, and Acerbi seems good enough for now. No Verratti but that was known.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lol an entire Scotland attack falls apart because Che Adams can’t pass a ball five yards. This has 89th minute Moldova winner written all over it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Scotland and loving up their WC chance to a loving nobody team.

Name a better pair.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It’s alright Patterson is staking a claim so it’s 1-0

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gigi Galli posted:

I hope so lol

We're missing Chiellini, Immobile, Zaniolo and Pellegrini but the only one that really has no equal replacement is Chiellini, and Acerbi seems good enough for now. No Verratti but that was known.

chiellini is so cool, the epitome of italian football flair

this is completely unironic, i genuinely like him as a player. together with bonucci he makes up the most comedic and yet inexplicably effective centre back line in the world

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PHWOOOOOAAAR
:mcrappe: :mcrappe: :mcrappe:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

well,

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shitaly

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

England flying.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JoylessJester posted:

England flying.

5-0 at half time is alright I suppose

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Lol that 7 at the back was trending and people were moaning about Southgate being too defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This Italy/Switzerland game is a pretty good watch