Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Early in arena I put a pacifism on one of those "double every turn" hydras, so while I didn't have it, my opponent had two 1000+/1000+ creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

Early in arena I put a pacifism on one of those "double every turn" hydras, so while I didn't have it, my opponent had two 1000+/1000+ creatures
Yeah I definitely remember seeing the same thing play out in a theros draft and it got up to a like 250k/250k uselessly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Speaking of Pacifism, it's never been worse lol.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Pacifism, it's never been worse lol.

Seems like it's in the same place it's been for years: playable creatures are almost excessively the ones that do something on ETB or at all times. Playing removal that actually removes has always been better.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Seems like it's in the same place it's been for years: playable creatures are almost excessively the ones that do something on ETB or at all times. Playing removal that actually removes has always been better.

Exploit coming back definitely makes it worse

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

At the very least in both MID and VOW there are pacifism-style enchantments that let you exile the enchanted creature for an additional cost. But yeah it's not a great effect

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Pacifism effects have never been constructed viable unless it's Pillory Of The Sleepless or Faith's Fetters

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finally, Magic is good, again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

Finally, Magic is good, again.

Post Malone just living his best life isn't he.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The meme about "i've only had this X for a day but if anyone harms them ill kill everyone in the room and then myself" but it's post malone and the mtg community

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Why is Arena making me install a MS C++ suite as part of the update?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
run baddog.exe

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rules question. If I cast an opponent's Arc Blade with my Etali, what happens? Do I exile and get to use it every 3 turns?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fritzler posted:

Rules question. If I cast an opponent's Arc Blade with my Etali, what happens? Do I exile and get to use it every 3 turns?

From what I can find online, no, you cast it the first time and once it goes into exile with suspend counters it no longer has a controller, and the card's owner gets to resolve the trigger so they would get to cast it when the last suspend counter is removed and put it back into suspend, etc.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Cards always return to their owner when they change zones.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So do Time Counters have an official meaning in MTG where if you can place a Time Counter onto a non-suspended permanent and then cast an exile card on the permanent... do you still remove a Time Counter until it no longer has one and then when it doesn't.. is it brought back into the playing field?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Is an example of giving a card time counters, but it also gives the suspend keyword as well.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Time counters don't have any inherent rules to them. Unless a card has an effect that cares about time counters they just sit there doing nothing. That being said there are some cards that can give a card suspend, like Jhoira of the Ghitu.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

neaden posted:

I'm not sure this is true, if you exile an opponent's bone crusher giant with robber of the rich and cast stomp off of it, the card goes into exile under your control and you are able to cast the giant from exile.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Strong Sauce posted:

So do Time Counters have an official meaning in MTG where if you can place a Time Counter onto a non-suspended permanent and then cast an exile card on the permanent... do you still remove a Time Counter until it no longer has one and then when it doesn't.. is it brought back into the playing field?

Only if it has suspend, which arc blade dies. If a card without suspend ended up exiled with time counters, I don't think any thing would happen. This is why Jhoria of the Ghitu gives the cards suspend.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cactrot posted:

I'm not sure this is true, if you exile an opponent's bone crusher giant with robber of the rich and cast stomp off of it, the card goes into exile under your control and you are able to cast the giant from exile.

You are right, that is because adventure specifies it's controller exiles it. So I should have said returns to owner unless otherwise specified.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

neaden posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

From what I can find online, no, you cast it the first time and once it goes into exile with suspend counters it no longer has a controller, and the card's owner gets to resolve the trigger so they would get to cast it when the last suspend counter is removed and put it back into suspend, etc.
Thank you! We just exiled it, and left it there. But makes a lot of sense.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Technically, only permanents have controllers, and permanents are only permanents on the battlefield.

So when referring to cards in exile it will say 'cards you own' or whatever generically. And for specific things it usually goes off the 'you' or the controller of the ability specifying what happens to it when put in exile.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fritzler posted:

You do exile, but it's your opponent who will get to cast Arc Blade every 3 turns. Once the card goes to exile, the suspend triggered abilities only care about a card's owner.

Strong Sauce posted:

Time counters have no intrinsic meaning beyond being time counters. Some abilities will care about specifically Time Counters, but an object having time counters doesn't do anything by itself.
Suspend actually represents 3 abilities. 1st the ability to suspend a card (exile and put time counters)
Second a triggered ability which removes time counters. (One an upkeep)
Third another triggered ability which casts the spell when the last counter is removed.
A non-suspend card with time counters won't do anything because its suspend which does the doing.
Also what makes a card suspended is it being in exile with Time Counters.
Finally if you exile a permanant with counters on it, those counters don't follow it to other zones. They disappear. (Skullbrier excepted)

Abhorrence posted:

Only if it has suspend, which arc blade dies. If a card without suspend ended up exiled with time counters, I don't think any thing would happen. This is why Jhoria of the Ghitu gives the cards suspend.
Correct

Cactrot posted:

Correct: Adventure is explicit about this. When an Adventure spell is exiled, the spell's controller is granted permission to cast it. Since you normally can't cast stuff from exile, only the controller of the adventure was given permission to do so.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

A little bit, but I feel like any historic deck with Exploit also was plenty able to deal with pascifism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you exile a printed 0/0 creature with at least one +1/+1 counter on it and the counters go away, does the creature die in exile? Or does it just hang out in exile at 0/0?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Leperflesh posted:

If you exile a printed 0/0 creature with at least one +1/+1 counter on it and the counters go away, does the creature die in exile? Or does it just hang out in exile at 0/0?

Depends on the creature thats exiled.

https://scryfall.com/card/rna/183/hydroid-krasis comes back as a 0/0 with no counters on it and dies.

https://scryfall.com/card/vow/68/mirrorhall-mimic-ghastly-mimicry the mimick comes back and copies something

https://scryfall.com/card/eld/98/oathsworn-knight comes back with its 4 counters.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Leperflesh posted:

The latter. Being */0 is only a death sentence on the battlefield. If it's a blink effect or whatever though, when the creature comes back it will die as a state based effect if it's toughness is 0 or less.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Leperflesh posted:

Stays exiled, same as 0 toughness creatures in your hand. Things with 0 toughness get put into the graveyard as a SBA but it only checks things on the battlefield.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

got it, thank you

e. when a */0 creature returns to the battlefield from exile and then dies, is this really a "dies" effect that you could use to trigger a "when x dies" on another card? I think the answer is yes, but I am not 100% sure

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Leperflesh posted:

got it, thank you

e. when a */0 creature returns to the battlefield from exile and then dies, is this really a "dies" effect that you could use to trigger a "when x dies" on another card? I think the answer is yes, but I am not 100% sure

Yes. "Dies" means "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield".

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leperflesh posted:

Only permanents on the battlefield can die.
Cards in exile, your hand, your library can have whatever toughness they want.
And they lose all of their counters.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 12, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leperflesh posted:

got it, thank you

Correct. "Dies" is simply thematic shorthand put into the graveyard form the battlefield.
700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

One of the more confusing things in MTG imo is how RIP-style effects shut down 'dies' effects. It makes sense when someone explains it to you, but I guarantee you if I only ever played MTG in a bubble with like one or two friends and never went online I'd be handling that interaction incorrectly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

One of the more confusing things in MTG imo is how RIP-style effects shut down 'dies' effects. It makes sense when someone explains it to you, but I guarantee you if I only ever played MTG in a bubble with like one or two friends and never went online I'd be handling that interaction incorrectly.

It also shouldn't IMO. :colbert: If you make dies a keyword, and tack exile effect on everything, you should also give dies some privledges. Like how discard can discard into exile.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

It also shouldn't IMO. :colbert: If you make dies a keyword, and tack exile effect on everything, you should also give dies some privledges. Like how discard can discard into exile.

I think one of the reasons Exile exists is to give people room to play around dies triggers.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
drat, i hardly ever go to any forum other than this one and sa-mart (I have this one bookmarked) but somehow i clicked gbs today and just saw about lowtax...pretty crazy....

looking forward to pre-release tonight though!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I think one of the reasons Exile exists is to give people room to play around dies triggers.

Then they should print more generic leaves trhe battlefield triggers

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Then they should print more generic leaves trhe battlefield triggers

Why? Isn't this inconsistent with your take on Emblems being bad because there's no interaction for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Why? Isn't this inconsistent with your take on Emblems being bad because there's no interaction for them?

No? Because they can and do print cards that explicitly stop dies triggers. Like Hushbringer. Or Turn to Frog