Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lowtax is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

madeintaipei posted:

Did it because they were free. Wouldn't give you a nickel for the son's books.

I'm always blown away by people who read his son's books. I'll read plenty of schlock. But I tried reading some in a Barnes & Noble back when those things existed and I couldn't get past the first chapter. Something about giant robots and cymeks. I'm very pro-giant robots, but none of it made sense in the universe of Dune.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Knormal posted:

Florida's already overrun with giant orb weavers from Asia, I would assume these are the same species and they'll eventually spread all over the south. Wherever it's warm and humid enough.

Have fun with all that.
Parents took us kids to Disney (Land/Planet/Whatever) just to say we'd done it. Unfortunately the grandparents already had a place down there, which I guess was nice to reduce costs but we almost all died from the heat and humidity. The two best descriptions that come to mind: We were clawing at the screens in hopes of a breeze around 2am (when it was 85%/F). However, since the ground wasn't covered with grass just vines, and everything literally started moving (crawling) about 30min before sunset, there was no escape.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1458693280791728131

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1458313011563843586

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Knormal posted:

Florida's already overrun with giant orb weavers from Asia, I would assume these are the same species and they'll eventually spread all over the south. Wherever it's warm and humid enough.

Have fun with all that.

Those are huge and freaky looking but pretty much just chill, right?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
If they're like the ones we have in Australia, then yes. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by one, and they don't come inside. They just weave massive webs across footpaths and stuff, and do so within the span of a single night, so the next morning you walk through them if you're not careful.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah, I mean I don't have much experience with them since I've only seen them on the few vacations I've done in Florida, but they pretty much just sit in their web 24/7 and wait for things to hit it. That makes them pretty easy to avoid since they're not out wandering around like tarantulas or jumping spiders, unless they build their web across a path as mentioned above. And their venom's not dangerous to people.

They're literally just a really big member of the same group of the orb weavers/garden spiders that you find around the world, and just as harmless. They're just incredibly creepy to run into when you're hiking on a nature trail.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like spiders but i hate spider webs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Those are the ones who occasionally eat small birds, right?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Much like your avatar feels, if it's small enough to catch it's small enough to eat.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

By popular demand posted:

Much like your avatar feels, if it's small enough to catch it's small enough to eat.

What is that avatar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is that avatar?

Ghost Leviathans are creatures in Subnautica.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

and you poo poo your pants when you first encounter one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like spiders but i hate spider webs

Same

All spiders are welcome to chill in my house, but they make too many webs

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Agreed. In Australia, we have huntsmans and wolfspiders. Both are very good, and eat many bugs, and make no webs. We also have daddy long legs that put webs everywhere, all the time; very annoying.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nice try. I'm not racist but I would never sublet to Australian spiders

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So...they can hear you move? :thunk:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm not going to look at the source, but you can detect objects by the way they change the acoustic properties of the room. It wouldn't be a stretch to think you can track an object as well. The object doesn't have to emit any sound for this to work, ambient noise is enough.

And if there's a species (beside bats) that I will believe can use this principle, it's cats.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

By popular demand posted:

Ghost Leviathans are actually filter feeders who only eat microscopic organisms. The problem is that Ghost Leviathans are also absurdly territorial and will attempt to ram the gently caress out of you the instant they notice you in their feeding region.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antigravitas posted:

I'm not going to look at the source, but you can detect objects by the way they change the acoustic properties of the room. It wouldn't be a stretch to think you can track an object as well. The object doesn't have to emit any sound for this to work, ambient noise is enough.

And if there's a species (beside bats) that I will believe can use this principle, it's cats.

The most reliable way to resolve this is for someone to take one for the team and find the article.

Or we can assume that cats can hear original sin.

Edit: gently caress it. The article is about cognitive abilities. We knew they can tell where sounds come from, but it turns out no one had proven that they build a mental map of where objects are in space. As in, "hooman is currently in that direction." They used speakers to make it seem like an unseen person teleported, and observed the cats were visibly surprised. Basically, they appear to have a kind of object permanence??

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Nov 12, 2021

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/10/world/cats-track-owners-location-voice-scn/index.html

quote:

Another group of people, who were not animal behavior experts, rated the cats' level of surprise from a scale of 0 to 4, based on behaviors like ear and head movements.

I want to see a Level 4 Surprised Cat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I managed to sneak up on our sleeping cat once and experienced a level 4 surprised cat. I'd prefer to never experience that again, because it hurt. A lot.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/pongosapien/status/1458917190468517892?s=21

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

But even as a lowly human, don't we have some of that as well? E.g. how many people feel someone is closely behind them despite nog actually making a sound, or how some blind folks develop their own form of echolocation?

And yeah, it's already been proven that cats have a form of object permanence, though judging by the fact that all cats I've known have tried to hide behind curtains with their tails sticking out ("if I can't see you, you can't see me!") leads me to believe this ability is weakly developed.

I did see that once. I had lost my apartment keys and had to be let in by the neighbour to use the fire escape to enter the apartment - the door/window thingy to the fire escape was always half-opened to let my cat in and out during the day and was 2/3 covered by a roller shutter. When I appeared from under that door, my cat, who was chilling on my bed, gave me the most incredulous look I've ever seen, like "wtf, you're not supposed to come in through this door!!".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's a whole wikipedia article on human echolocation

Groucho Marx saying this

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So...they can hear you move? :thunk:

It says track, so maybe more like ecolocation than actual hearing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We gotta be supportive here.
I know these forums are gay but are we good at the sex thing? the Vatican could use some pointers.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

These Forums are gay AND dead. Dead usually means sexually inactive

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a whole wikipedia article on human echolocation

Groucho Marx saying this

This morning I shot a priest in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pope Hilarius II posted:

But even as a lowly human, don't we have some of that as well? E.g. how many people feel someone is closely behind them despite nog actually making a sound, or how some blind folks develop their own form of echolocation?

Our side mounted ears make us really, really good at telling what direction a sound came from compared to dogs and cats. It's neat.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Our side mounted ears make us really, really good at telling what direction a sound came from compared to dogs and cats. It's neat.

I’m deaf in one ear. Chalk another one up to my animals over me

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

What do the "bottom" church officials think?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SLOSifl posted:

What do the "bottom" church officials think?

A cardinal in the streets, a Pillow Pope in the sheets

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Brass Against apologise after frontwoman Sophia Urista urinates on fan’s face during live show

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/BrassAgainst/status/1459318939926814723
One time only!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ah, the presidential treatment.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I missed the show. Was it streaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lobok posted:

I missed the show. Was it streaming?

It was steaming