Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah and that's a good gag, just like Saitama becoming a god just through his workout routine. Taking it one step further by saying Saitama is actually Goku or King has illusion powers is where the fun stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Saitama had a goal of getting this strong and made up an exercise routine on the spot to make it happen (while occasionally eating monsters along the way because he had about as much petty cash as a college student) and then here we are.

Why he was already able to handle getting wrecked and beating a tiger level demon as his first battle, I dunno. Depression might also be a superpower in this universe.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm more curious about where the monsters are coming from. Some are just natural like Deep Sea King, but then there are others that are formed from people. One came about because a guy liked eating crabs way too much, for instance. It's a relatively new phenomenon, so something new is clearly causing it, but what?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm more curious about where the monsters are coming from. Some are just natural like Deep Sea King, but then there are others that are formed from people. One came about because a guy liked eating crabs way too much, for instance. It's a relatively new phenomenon, so something new is clearly causing it, but what?

I'm starting to suspect it was just a plot convenience thing. Monsters are suddenly appearing in large numbers. "No one knows why" might have been literally that even the author doesn't have a reason and it isn't ever going to be explained.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

TheLoneStar posted:

All the monsters and heroes seem to work on self perception and will power. Monsters come about because people are obsessed with something and they end up seeing themselves as monsters because of it (Crablante, the Car Monster dude, the guy who shadow boxed his lightswitch cord) at least at a low level. Once they become a monster they either just stay low level because they have no other motivation than wanting to do their "thing" or they grow in strength because they have a goal that keeps twisting their self perception till they either reach it or are beaten. However it has to be self perception, not just public perception.

As people has said: Saitama's self perception was weirdly limited enough in execution, but grand enough in scope that he basically did a stack overflow on reality and became the strongest thing ever. On top of that his current situation is that he perceives himself as so crazy strong that nothing can even hurt him, even natural things like straight up loving lava.

But then you have someone like King. He has a public perception of being the strongest human ever but because he doesn't see himself as that and his goal is ultimately to just be left alone, so he has no power beyond maybe some kind of meta power that protects him just enough that he can always get home to be a nerd in peace.

So with the monster society thing, it might be that Orrochi/the psychic lady making him had a goal and self perception strong enough to create an external system to control that ended up making more monsters quickly.

There has been a progression of what different baddies powers can affect. At first we just had low level baddies that had personal self perception and will power (Crablante, Shadow Boxer, even Vaccine Man) who focused on I can do XYZ. but later we get to baddies who focused on altering others (The mad scientist brothers, House of Evolution) who focused on building an empire or using their powers to alter others. But those weren't "monsters" at that point. Either ONE didn't think about monster cells yet or they were just supposed to be a separate thing entirely. Next was the space pirates arc, and they weren't monsters either but showed a whole society of baddies each playing their part. Then we get to the monster society and we're seeing baddies that both have a self perception of altering themselves to be stronger, but also in altering others.

Now we're into the Garou arc who is clearly a mirror to Saitama who is constantly evolving into a more powerful being because his self perception and willpower are strong enough to keep him going.

People's perception of what power is keeps changing based on things that have already happened showing what can be done.

Basically in One Punch Man power is a meme that keeps one upping itself once someone gets a new idea.

And with that framework in place I posit that Saitama is "Joe Mama" while Garou is "deez nuts".

(I am not seriously saying that this is ONE's actual idea)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Saitama had a goal of getting this strong and made up an exercise routine on the spot to make it happen (while occasionally eating monsters along the way because he had about as much petty cash as a college student) and then here we are.

Why he was already able to handle getting wrecked and beating a tiger level demon as his first battle, I dunno. Depression might also be a superpower in this universe.

He got lucky, and was filled with determination, like mumen rider. He still got the poo poo beat out of him by the lobster

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I'm starting to suspect it was just a plot convenience thing. Monsters are suddenly appearing in large numbers. "No one knows why" might have been literally that even the author doesn't have a reason and it isn't ever going to be explained.

No way, ONEs building up to an explanation for sure

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
King is obviously the audience standin and the monsters are appearing in response to his subconscious desire for conflict and entertainment

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can't wait to read this entire arc with small variations seven more times.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sindai posted:

Can't wait to read this post with small variations seven more times.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a Haruhi joke, not a redraw joke, but I knew the risk I was taking when I made it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sindai posted:

oh jay posted:

Can't wait to read this post with small variations seven more times.

Sindai posted:

Can't wait to read this series of posts with small variations seven more times.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Me too, I love reading

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
This thread needs to enter its postmodern phase.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like One Punch Man because it so beautifully explores the duality of man:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I like One Punch Man because it so beautifully explores the duality of man:

This thread in a nutshell.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im rereading on the viz app. are the redrawn chapters in there?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws for the new chapter are up if you want them

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3269754496597544962

Edit: and a redraw of last chapter because why not

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3269754496572306855

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 12, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pik_d posted:

Raws for the new chapter are up if you want them

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3269754496597544962

Edit: and a redraw of last chapter because why not

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/3269754496572306855

Oh man, this looks hilarious. :allears:

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/LKvWJgu/1/1/

And here's the translation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

loving amazing

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The King Engine continues to roar.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Here's the previous chapter redraw translation

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/IL7o4yc/1/1/

pik_d fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 13, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This is beautiful in every sense of the word. Incredible art, fantastic writing, this is exactly what I come to the OPM manga for.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im gonna be the annoying webcomic reader guy, but I just want to say this is like 95% exactly how the original chapter went, panel by panel, and I am extremely happy they didnt mess with perfection here.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The fireworks guys its finally here the fire works.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

New chapter was everything I hoped it would be

Also I would appreciate it if Murata would do redrawn panels in red ink or something because I can never remember what's supposed to be different

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Im gonna be the annoying webcomic reader guy, but I just want to say this is like 95% exactly how the original chapter went, panel by panel, and I am extremely happy they didnt mess with perfection here.

its awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love King so loving much :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super Sparking King Mode (SSK)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Super Sparking King Mode (SSK)

Do people in Japan know that J and K are right next to each other in both the American alphabet and keyboard?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jerusalem posted:

I love King so loving much :shobon:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

bees x1000 posted:

New chapter was everything I hoped it would be

Also I would appreciate it if Murata would do redrawn panels in red ink or something because I can never remember what's supposed to be different

The redrawn chapter is 100% wetter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was this thing really popular in Japan? I feel like they keep advertising it but as far as I know it was just like one or two chapters.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Characters overanalyzing and freaking themselves out over the simplest of King's comments will never get old to me.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
King stepping up to stall is actually pretty loving ballsy. Dude knows he's dead as soon as anyone tries to kill him but he's still making a distraction.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Two Tone Shoes posted:

King stepping up to stall is actually pretty loving ballsy. Dude knows he's dead as soon as anyone tries to kill him but he's still making a distraction.

That's why he's the strongest hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's why he's the strongest hero.

no, super sparking king mode is why