Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

effika posted:

I don't think I remember this happening with the At a Glance widget before. I use Nova Launcher and had to remove padding to get the temperature to show fully. I guess nobody thought of Wednesday when testing!

I mean, gently caress Wednesdays.

The At a Glance on my Pixel 2 basically never shows the temp and hasn't been for months (years? What is time?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

effika posted:

I don't think I remember this happening with the At a Glance widget before. I use Nova Launcher and had to remove padding to get the temperature to show fully. I guess nobody thought of Wednesday when testing!

I mean, that's more of a nova scaling issue I would assume. I doubt they are testing their widgets on 3rd party launchers.

The same thing happens from time to time for my Z Fold 3 on the skinny cover screen when going between unfolded mode and folded mode. Removing and re-adding the widget fixes things and sometimes it fixes itself. I suspect that the widget is not built to account for variable DPI scaling.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

On the regular launcher it gets trimmed to just Wed,

So I think that's just a nova issue

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Uthor posted:

I mean, gently caress Wednesdays.

The At a Glance on my Pixel 2 basically never shows the temp and hasn't been for months (years? What is time?).

Seems to come and go for me on my pixel 2 with no rhyme or reason besides :google:

e: currently functional

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skarsnik posted:

On the regular launcher it gets trimmed to just Wed,

So I think that's just a nova issue

It's Wed in the new at a glance widget in Android 12, but if you add the old one it's the full word. But it's not truncated either.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

MikeJF posted:

Hold up, so they just dropped Android 12 onto me and froze me out right away so I'm not getting any of the basic follow-up bugfixes?

Google have commited to one last Pixel 3 update in Q1 2022

Wouldn't be surprised if it's 12L (aka finished Android 12), purely because having the 3 and 3a differ in final API level is way more hassle than it's worth down the line.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Should I be concerned that AMDroid thinks Christmas is the 24th and New Years is the 31st?

edit: I understand putting Christmas on Friday, but no businesses actually consider Christmas Eve to be the 23rd right?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 11, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No.

It seems to be the federal holidays list and since Xmas and New Year's are on Saturday, the holidays are moved to Friday.

Edit: the Eves being on the wrong day is just wrong. They should also be listed on Fridays, I guess. Unless Google AMDroid is giving those days off, too, and doing on the day before? Probably just a "Eve = day before" formula gone wrong in an edge case.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 11, 2021

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Stevie Lee posted:

Seems to come and go for me on my pixel 2 with no rhyme or reason besides :google:

e: currently functional

I recently started using the Another Widget that was recommended in this thread to replace the Google At A Glance, and switched back to Nova Launcher.

It's so much nicer to have a widget that has settings that you control and can set to show what you want, how you want it, instead of what ever the gently caress the algorithm feels like today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uthor posted:

No.

It seems to be the federal holidays list and since Xmas and New Year's are on Saturday, the holidays are moved to Friday.

Edit: the Eves being on the wrong day is just wrong. They should also be listed on Fridays, I guess. Unless Google AMDroid is giving those days off, too, and doing on the day before? Probably just a "Eve = day before" formula gone wrong in an edge case.

The correct way to list things is

Dec 24th Christmas Eve
Dec 24th Christmas Day (observed)
Dec 25th Christmas Day

Google's holiday calendar has them listed as

Dec 24th Christmas Eve
Dec 24th Day off for Christmas Day
Dec 25th Christmas Day

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 11, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting difference, down here we're getting the Christmas public holiday on the 27th and the Boxing Day public holiday the 28th.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the US, observed holidays fall on Friday if the actual holiday is Sat and Monday if the actual holiday is Sunday.

Basically, the closest workday of the same week.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the best app for 2FA these days?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

UncleGuito posted:

What's the best app for 2FA these days?

I switched to Aegis and it seems pretty good so far.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Aegis works great and has backup capability.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Great thanks! Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I gotta switch over to Aegis. Authy's UI drives me nuts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For what it's worth I switched from Authy to andOTP some time ago and it's been just fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is there any security reason to avoid Authy?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ola posted:

Is there any security reason to avoid Authy?

I don't think so, I just don't like the UI.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Various crypto apps dropped support for authy too, for whatever reason.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

Could be that those particular apps are really keen on alternatives that say "...but with blockchain".

https://cointelegraph.com/news/this-blockchain-based-two-factor-authenticator-is-taking-on-google-and-authy

quote:

Shield Protocol is taking on the likes of Authy and Google Authenticator — and offers security while eliminating data collection and centralized storage. A simple interface also means it’s a tool that will be accessible for everyday users.

The project is based on Binance Smart Chain and is currently in the process of integrating with Polygon. It also offers a dedicated wallet where multiple cryptocurrency assets can be stored securely.

The project also says that the fact it is based on blockchain helps reduce the risk of a data breach where personal information collected by companies is used to target victims.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Jesus Christ I loving hate the blockchain

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ola posted:

Could be that those particular apps are really keen on alternatives that say "...but with blockchain".

https://cointelegraph.com/news/this-blockchain-based-two-factor-authenticator-is-taking-on-google-and-authy

None of this makes any sense!!!!

:tizzy:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Gee I thought Aegis was fine but I guess it would be better if my 2fa app was destroying the planet

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Personally I get my 2FA codes by pushing a tree into a furnace and reading the numbers out of the billowing smoke

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I just need to rant about Google Pay for a moment:

I used to do all of my money sending between friends/family through Google Pay. It was great, it was easy, I could just send them money straight from my checking account without a problem, they could send me money without issue, I could manage it through my desktop or my phone, and it was very intuitive.

The new Google Pay is a loving dumpster fire. There's no desktop interface (well, there is one, but you can't do poo poo from it), if I want to send money from my checking account, I have to take money out and add it to Google Pay balance, which takes up to five days and has a $1,500 limit, and then send it to the person after that goes through which could take another couple of days, unless I want to use my debit card, but I don't have a loving debit card, and I don't understand why they can do that for a loving debit card but not for a loving checking account that's attached to my Google Pay account; the money is coming from exactly the same loving place. Nobody who I had in Google Pay previously carried over in my contacts, the first time my roommate tried to send me rent through it (which he has done multiple times before) they loving sent it back because I didn't confirm I wanted to have that money.

I want to say that Pay is worse than their incessant messaging changes, but maybe that's going a bit too far. Honestly, between Google Pay, Google Play Music, and Google Messages I'm seriously considering switching to an iPhone, in spite of being a pretty enthusiastic Android user since the Galaxy S2. Thank you for coming to my TED talk/yes I know this is a Wendy's.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

100% agree with all of that. We used to use gpay all the time until they hosed it up

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Humerus posted:

Gee I thought Aegis was fine but I guess it would be better if my 2fa app was destroying the planet

Aegis doesn't even have internet access, so it can't get any more decentralized than that.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

UncleGuito posted:

Feature not bug

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ya I'm also a long time Android user, since the Motorola Droid X, and about to pop over to the other side. Between privacy concerns with google, the aforementioned project killing nature of the ecosystem, and general frustration I'm just about done.

Good to hear other people feel similarly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Let us know how the grass is over there.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Any recs for a markdown editor that will sync with dropbox and won't try to charge me a subscription fee for a goddamn text editor? Paid apps or one-time fees are fine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Let us know how the grass is over there.
My guy feeling is I'll love iMessage and Apple Pay, and hate having to use iTunes on Windows and Safari on my phone and my inability to text from my desktop and a bunch of other stuff.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Everett False posted:

Any recs for a markdown editor that will sync with dropbox and won't try to charge me a subscription fee for a goddamn text editor? Paid apps or one-time fees are fine.

NeutriNote

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I really thought about getting an iPhone after a real frustrating repair experience, but just ordered a used Pixel 4a. I like the longevity and support of their devices, but I don't like using iOS much.

Not much of a comparison given the state of Android tablets, but my iPad is so much nicer to use (granted I only use it to read comics, so don't interface with iOS besides clicking the icon to launch Marvel Unlimited/comiXology.

But the mention of iTunes made me check and there's no MediaMonkey app for iOS, so I'm glad I didn't switch. I'd hate to have to migrate my library to another service.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Thanatosian posted:

My guy feeling is I'll love iMessage and Apple Pay, and hate having to use iTunes on Windows and Safari on my phone and my inability to text from my desktop and a bunch of other stuff.

Pretty sure iMessage has a desktop or web client. I'm a Spotify user, so itunes is w.e. for me.

Safari will be annoying. Knowing that the apps I use will have continued support won't be annoying.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Pretty sure iMessage has a desktop or web client. I'm a Spotify user, so itunes is w.e. for me.

Safari will be annoying. Knowing that the apps I use will have continued support won't be annoying.

iMessage only has a Mac desktop app. you're hosed otherwise.

I recently moved from Apple to Android. I tend to think of tech capabilities and things I like in three categories

- security
- privacy
- user agency (the ability to do what I want, no matter how weird it is)

Apple used to rule in 2 of the 3 categories, with Android ruling user agency. now, if you run a pixel device, Google is generally thought to rule both security and user agency. it's security advantage is marginal but there, mostly by writ of Chrome and not safari.

So far the best thing about moving to Android is the ability to do whatever I want! I can run emulators without having to work around apples tedious app store limitations. I've got open source third party apps that address deficiencies in the first party apps! it's rad.

android just has so much shittier UX though I am astounded!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple security has been pretty suspect for a bit. They don't seem to be honoring the terms of their bounty program, opting instead to bury the report and then silently releasing fixes at some future date without acknowledging that it was a problem and found by a community researcher.

They also aren't backporting all security fixes to older macOS versions while still saying they are supported and updating. Also, while Apple support cycle has generally been class leading, they give no upfront guarantees of level of software support for any device that they sell (which then allows them to do stuff like not patch security vulnerabilities in older OS versions while saying they are supported.) It should be noted from that article, it looks like Apple may be doing the same thing with iOS 14 vs iOS 15.

Anecdotally, I've run across far more severe app scaling problems 2 months in with my iPad Mini than I have in a decade of Android tablets. It's a weird thing. There are certainly a lot more polished tablet app experiences on iOS, but when they miss, they miss hard and look like they are emulating an iPhone SE from 2016 where the worse that happens on Android is a bit more whitespace and padding. The least they could do is scale things to the point of their Max phones on an iPad for apps like that. I bought the iPad mini because it was the only real decent piece of hardware in that size category, but it has not been some sort of revelatory experience coming from Android.

Apple Pay and Google Pay are 1:1 transferrable in my experience so I don't know why one would be better than the other. Contactless payments are contactless payments. Google's app is a bit lovely, but you only have to deal with it when you are setting up the card.

iMessage basically just depends on your social group. I have 3 iPhone contacts so it's not really much help for me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Apple Pay and Google Pay are 1:1 transferrable in my experience so I don't know why one would be better than the other. Contactless payments are contactless payments. Google's app is a bit lovely, but you only have to deal with it when you are setting up the card.

When it comes to just paying for stuff at a POS,n yeah, they're pretty much the same. It's the other functionality (being able to send and receive money) that I expect to see some differentiation.

Then again, I may have resolved my issues with Google Pay by switching to Zelle.