Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Bigotry based on physical appearance is not supported by genetics. Genetics show bigotry based on physical appearance to be purely superficial. Seems like a pretty straightforward point.

Your first sentence is true but not for the reason I suspect that you think. It is true because genetics has absolutely nothing to say about bigotry. Your second sentence is false because genetics has absolutely nothing to say about bigotry.

I'll rephrase your argument because you do not communicate your points very clearly.

--------------------------------------------

Your Premise 1: All humans show a certain sufficient level of genetic similarity.

Your Premise 2: You should regard all beings, which show a certain sufficient level of genetic similarity to oneself, as moral equals.

Your Conclusion:

You should regard all humans as moral equals.

-----------------------------------

Do you understand that Your Premise 2 has nothing to do with the study of genetics? It is an ethical opinion or view or belief. Secondly, the argument is very slippery. Let me explain by using an example.

I have read that humans share 40-60% of their genes with bananas. Does this mean that we should regard the life of a banana as being about half as valuable as human being, whatever that really means? No, you would say, probably not, humans and bananas do not have the sufficient level of genetic similarity. But if you were pressed to define the sufficient level of similarity I really strongly suspect that you would define the sufficient level of genetic similarity to be whatever the level of similarity that is shared across all humans.

In other words, I strongly suspect that the study of genetics is irrelevant to your point. I think you are creating this kind of vacuous argument and are name-dropping genetic science but really you are just jumping to your conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3797481&pagenumber=2684&perpage=40#post471638441

I enjoy reading this thread because you get to see a bunch of deeply dumb posters trying to argue that morality can be created from science. I still have Pellisworth's insane graph saved on my computer.

Dillon2
Apr 3, 2018
Morality comes from entheogens

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Dating apps and social media have irreversibly changed society in ways that are not beneficial to human happiness and the common good.

Signed a person who met their partner on Grindr.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helpimscared posted:

Dating apps and social media have irreversibly changed society in ways that are not beneficial to human happiness and the common good.

Signed a person who met their partner on Grindr.

I don't think you know what a "conservative opinion" is.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think you know what a "conservative opinion" is.

In my circles this is a conservative opinion... unfortunately

netch-a-sketch
Dec 24, 2019
I think it's ok to sit on the toilet backwards sometimes

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

netch-a-sketch posted:

I think it's ok to sit on the toilet backwards sometimes

Whoa. I've honestly never thought about doing this. Got something to look forward to tomorrow morning

netch-a-sketch
Dec 24, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Whoa. I've honestly never thought about doing this. Got something to look forward to tomorrow morning

Make sure you report back and tell me how it went

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Very hard for your bidet to clean you in that position.

I imagine if you have female genitalia there is a potential upside though.

netch-a-sketch
Dec 24, 2019

OnlyBans posted:

Very hard for your bidet to clean you in that position.

I imagine if you have female genitalia there is a potential upside though.

Woah I've never thought about doing this before. Got something to look forward to tomorrow

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

netch-a-sketch posted:

Woah I've never thought about doing this before. Got something to look forward to tomorrow

lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Which poo poo shelf configuration is the most conservative?

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Bread crumbs do not belong on macaroni and cheese.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
People who speak in the Standard American English accent who use the term 'y'all' sound inauthentic. Use 'you all' or 'you' please.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Irregardless posted:

I absolutely stand by this. Bread crumbs on mac and cheese is an abomination.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

20 Blunts posted:

Which poo poo shelf configuration is the most conservative?

The Flachspüler of course. You need to inspect thoroughly.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not fully convinced that free sale of heroin/fentanyl/carfentanyl is a good idea. Maybe there should be a max dose per day that you can get or maybe it should be made prescription only.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Jail Fauci

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
I know there have been a lot of jokes and funny business in this thread, but I just want to take a second to get serious.

IMO it is perfectly fine to take off your mask while youre in your car driving. I dont get why so many people do it.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Wizard Master posted:

-Tattoos are often a terrible decision that will lead to nothing but regret later in life

The funny thing about tattos is theyre gonna go out of style soon given like 50% of the population has them. It'll be literally more attractive to not have a tattoo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

syntaxfunction posted:

I absolutely stand by this. Bread crumbs on mac and cheese is an abomination.

Buttered Ritz provide a much better crunch and flavor

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Voting with your dollar is a real and essential part of our political system.
some people just get more votes

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I HAVE GOUT posted:

I know there have been a lot of jokes and funny business in this thread, but I just want to take a second to get serious.

IMO it is perfectly fine to take off your mask while youre in your car driving. I dont get why so many people do it.

Some people are perfectly comfortable wearing a mask.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I like guns and military aircraft, I think neck tattoos are dumb.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I want to imagine that the folks wearing masks in their cars just want to wait until they can wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before removing them which is reasonable enough I suppose if they're worried about the stuff they touched getting 'em sick, but I also really doubt that.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Irregardless posted:

What about tortilla chip crumbs

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sometimes I wear my mask in my car because I'm driving to another business and just don't feel bothered to take it off.

Do you also laugh at people that wear raincoats indoors?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

eSporks posted:

Sometimes I wear my mask in my car because I'm driving to another business and just don't feel bothered to take it off.

Do you also laugh at people that wear raincoats indoors?

No just ppl wearing masks in their suv with the windows up lol

IzzyNobre
Dec 8, 2005

Long live Mario

Helpimscared posted:

Is that a conservative opinion? I thought it was straight up common sense.

Dating apps and social media are, on the whole, absolutely terrible.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

IzzyNobre posted:

A lot of the posts recently aren't conservative opinions, they are old people opinions.

Tell me, how do y'all feel about youths on your lawns?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

IzzyNobre posted:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

kazil posted:

A lot of the posts recently aren't conservative opinions, they are old people opinions.

Tell me, how do y'all feel about youths on your lawns?

I don't know how I feel but I'm keeping this ball. gently caress ya's

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Conservative opinion: Women should know how to cook

Liberal opinion: Non binary people and men also should know how to cook. Cooking is essential and everyone should know the basics.

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
I was unaware my political status required me to judge women based on their kitchen skills. Honestly thought we moved past that a long time ago on both sides. I consider basic cooking an essential life skill, and would call anyone who tries to make it political an rear end in a top hat.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Bedtime is 9:45

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I think I would say I lean more conservative socially even though most of my political stances would probably be considered left-wing, but for six or seven years I was a very committed communist to the point where that was almost my entire IRL social circle, and I can definitely say from my own experience that the far left is incredibly insular and intolerant of any slight deviation of opinion. Every unorthodox view is made into a huge thing and painted as evil. I have much more productive conversations with people across the spectrum now that I’ve kind of chilled out and am not constantly stressing about people with different views from my own. Not saying everyone is like that on the far left but most of them are in my experience, myself included. Same goes for the far right though I assume
This post made me ponder something I think is related, in that there are some values that get coded as "conservative" that I don't think are inherently conservative -- but because they're coded that way, some leftists will take the opposite attitude. Perhaps more so in the past (like "drop acid not bombs") in the late 60s, but perhaps it was not such a good thing that a whole generation of leftists dropped acid and evaporated in a haze. Or like "taking responsibility" and "hard work" and so forth. I don't think that has anything to do with left-right "culture war" stuff -- I'm talking about a different set of values than that.

You hear conservatives talk about those things I just mentioned as being good, but there's nothing bad about those values. If you're a leftist activist, I don't think laziness would be a virtue in that situation: you should work hard and take responsibility for your movement. Or if you're going to play hard, then maybe "work hard / play hard." The irony too is that conservatives often fail to embody those values when it's some absentee landlord who inherited the property telling you to "get a job" so you can pay the rent. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a job or work hard. I'm kinda lazy though personally but I don't think it's a good thing and I need to work out more often, which is just a good thing to do for health reasons.

You know Col. Bob Sink from "Band of Brothers?" He's like a conservative archetype in some ways, but he was a real guy and a serious leader who knew what he was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xVvHsphkg&t=125s

Okay, that was World War II and you can't go Col. Sink on everyone, but you probably see what I'm getting at. And he probably wouldn't freak out because someone didn't share his "politics." He has more important fish to fry. Someone has a slightly different opinion? That's the main problem? That's like hunting squirrels (a child's pastime) when you should be hunting rabbits.

I was also thinking about Kyle Rittenhouse. I haven't bothered to keep up with the trial and the debate around it, because it's taking place on an axis that I don't find interesting at all. People are moralizing about whether Rittenhouse did anything wrong. Well, maybe, but is that even relevant? To me, he's just an enemy at some level (although a squirrel-sized enemy), so if he got the drop on three guys, then those guys basically just screwed up -- and moralizing about it is just not going to help prevent that from happening again. To me, it shows a lack of discipline and organization among the protesters. You have be able to face the fact that you got dropped and you need to self-reflect and then improve. Or rioting in general. Dump the moralizing about it, but if you were trying to storm the Bastille, it wouldn't be a good thing if the crowd just dispersed into the surrounding streets because they lacked organization and looted all the shops and burned half the city down.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You aren’t wrong, but what do you believe to be the most productive way to interact with pro-fascist arguments? (That isn’t mocking)
I don't argue with people. Or I just don't like to do it. But I've found pro-fascist stuff to be just really irrational at some level. One of the pathologies of politics and perhaps even more so among radical types is believing that you're on a heroic quest that ends in your desired result. But that's just not how it works. The actual fascist regimes in the 20th century certainly didn't end how they expected, and it ended so catastrophically for them because they weren't thinking rationally about the situation and blubbered into a massive war of attrition which they could not win. We can't defeat Britain? Okay, let's invade Russia!

Like, what the hell were they thinking? Wait... "thought?" No, there's no thinking. It's just intuition and feels and "will to power" extremism -- and if we don't win, then we deserve to lose! And you're all going down with us! And then the leader shoots himself just to spite the world.

Like, again, dropping the moralizing about fascism being "bad" (although it is bad), one reason why the SA forums have always banned Nazis -- a noteworthy fact about this place even during its most un-PC days -- is because they're just toxic poison to a community and they'll destroy it. They'll turn your forum into a pipe-bomb or mass-shooter factory and go wage self-destructive wars. I heard a description once that fascism is a like a form of Nietzschean "active nihilism" where you stare into the abyss too long and then it stares back at you, so the whole world is seen as depraved and corrupt and decadent, and it's enlivening to destroy it and the Ubermensch will arise somewhere along the way or as a result of this process.

But it's an unstable particle.

That doesn't answer your question though. But if I was to interact with it, I'd start with thinking about it that way.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 13, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd just encourage people to think in terms of a dialectic rather than fussing over "positions" on this or that, or believing that because you have certain beliefs or positions on things, that makes you "right" or "good." There are a lot of people online who act that way when they're basically just in a Star Trek club:

While I'm here, speaking about weird right-wing guys, I just remembered that I know one of those guys. He converted to Orthodox Christianity and grew a beard. His ideal regime is a theocratic monarchy. He is "that guy" who is extremely online. Now, the reason I know this guy is because he lives in my town and I run into him sometimes on the street or in a bar. And what I am supposed to do? Get angry at him? Punch the guy? That would just be irrational. I think his solutions to the problems in the world are bad, but he has no power to implement any of them; and in fact he was a really depressed loser and -- for all I know -- might be getting something out of going to church. But I don't see it as that different from the Star Trek club guys.

He's a nice guy, actually. Actually kind of a kitten in reality. He's a beanpole. I don't trust him and wouldn't invite him to places (for a lot of reasons, not just his weirdo politics). But I dunno. I'm just not scared of people. What would freaking out about this accomplish? I'm just like "oh hey, how's church going?"

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Irregardless posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Like, again, dropping the moralizing about fascism being "bad" (although it is bad), one reason why the SA forums have always banned Nazis -- a noteworthy fact about this place even during its most un-PC days -- is because they're just toxic poison to a community and they'll destroy it. They'll turn your forum into a pipe-bomb or mass-shooter factory and go wage self-destructive wars. I heard a description once that fascism is a like a form of Nietzschean "active nihilism" where you stare into the abyss too long and then it stares back at you, so the whole world is seen as depraved and corrupt and decadent, and it's enlivening to destroy it and the Ubermensch will arise somewhere along the way or as a result of this process.
I saw a great analogy using a bar, maybe it was someone on SA that posted it.

They mentioned a cool bar they went to that had a good mix of people, men and women, fun hip place.

The bar hired a lovely male bartender that hit on all the women and treated them poorly. The bar started to get a reputation and over the course of a year, the women started leaving. At first the "good" men stayed, but then they started going to other bars because there were more women there. Eventually, the whole bar just turned into cesspool of toxic masculinity, because no one decent wanted to put up with that bar tender.

I understand and agree with you about lefties being super insular, but there is a certain type of conservative that is that bartender. They tend to be super vocal about their beliefs in a way leftists aren't (in my experience) and have such arrogance that they ignore any call outs. Those kind of conservatives are just awful to be around and they chase off any one decent until the only thing left is an echo chamber.

It's possibly bias, but most of the lefties I know are at least interested in a discussion. Most of them don't run their mouth unless a topic comes up either.