Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

https://youtu.be/hB5AMcUExS0

Interesting news about the Nirvana Nevermind 30th Anniversary standard remaster (not the boxset). Super super super limited. No one knew it was it just is according to the label now. Also some
Extra info that pressing plants are letting labels know if they don’t get metal works by the end of the year don’t expect pressing in 2021

lol. What a bunch of dumb bullshit. Is there even anyone who would want a copy of Nevermind who doesn't already have it? It's probably going to be a bunch of absolute weirdos like the guy in this video paying hundreds of dollars to add it to the pile. The ORG repressing/lacquer is already remastered and cut from the original tapes, I doubt it's going to get better than that.

Anyway, behold the miracle of vacuum cleaning records!

Before:

After:

It sounds great and plays at a strong VG+. If you can get a vacuum machine for your records it really is a must have. There are all kinds of fancypants models that cost crazy money but if you get something of simple design without a motor that turns the record for you it's drastically cheaper. That's the filthiest record I've ever cleaned And I still can't believe the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean I already have a thing with a motor that turns records for me

What am I missing about the process where this can't just be an attachment for your regular vacuum cleaner?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean I already have a thing with a motor that turns records for me

What am I missing about the process where this can't just be an attachment for your regular vacuum cleaner?

There's a cleaning fluid involved so you wouldn't want to use the kind of vacuum you'd use around your house or anything like that and the suction from the vacuum would keep the record from rotating around the turntable. They do make kits that are compatible with a shop vac. I was going to get one of those kits but it was 125 bucks or something and I would have had to buy a shop vac for around 40-50 bucks. The machine I have for this cost 200 so I just said gently caress it and got that because it's a nice self contained system and it wasn't that much more money. I'd wanted a vacuum system for years but I had no idea there were affordable models. All the expensive ones have some bunch bullshit that turns the record for you which basically means you're paying several hundred more to not turn a thing yourself. This is the one I have:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3ZQ1BLYPVYi/p_325RDV/Record-Doctor-V.html

It went up in price 20 bucks since I got it, but it's still worth it. There's a newer model of the same machine with a few upgrades that costs about 100 bucks more but I opted for the cheaper one. I've said this a bunch of times but this thing has been an absolute game changer and anyone who is serious about record collecting should have something that cleans records with a vacuum. I've cleaned a lot of records with this thing and I can't recommend it enough.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

lol. What a bunch of dumb bullshit. Is there even anyone who would want a copy of Nevermind who doesn't already have it?

I know this is just typical hyperbole but yes, I am certain there are a lot of people that want a copy of Nevermind but don't already have it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, I see about the vacuum device. Pretty neat and the pictures sure speak for themselves.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So, ordered the Target version of A Charlie Brown Christmas because I had gift cards and couldn't help myself. I fully expect it to be an assy modern pressing, but am hoping to be surprised. A self-imposed ban on xmas music in my home means I won't know if it's any good till after Thanksgiving, but here's hoping.

They're also selling several Christmas classics like Bing Crosby and the Nat King Cole Trio, but I can't see paying thirty goddamn dollars for them when there are still near infinite copies of them floating around the world.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stealie72 posted:

So, ordered the Target version of A Charlie Brown Christmas because I had gift cards and couldn't help myself. I fully expect it to be an assy modern pressing, but am hoping to be surprised. A self-imposed ban on xmas music in my home means I won't know if it's any good till after Thanksgiving, but here's hoping.

They're also selling several Christmas classics like Bing Crosby and the Nat King Cole Trio, but I can't see paying thirty goddamn dollars for them when there are still near infinite copies of them floating around the world.

You can go in any Salvation Army and walk out with an armful of Christmas lps

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stealie72 posted:

I bought the Walmart version for my roommate. I have a Xmas music ban as well, so I have 3 weeks before I find out how actually cheap it ism

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My favorite Christmas records are the flaming lips one and this banger

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigFactory posted:

You can go in any Salvation Army and walk out with an armful of Christmas lps
Well, I specifically wanted the Charlie Brown one because it's my all time favorite christmas album.

But I've also got a growing collection of $2 christmas LPs with a sub-specialty of Firestone and Goodyear promo albums. The issue with holiday stuff seems to be finding ones that haven't been utterly destroyed by 30 years of use.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stealie72 posted:

Well, I specifically wanted the Charlie Brown one because it's my all time favorite christmas album.

But I've also got a growing collection of $2 christmas LPs with a sub-specialty of Firestone and Goodyear promo albums. The issue with holiday stuff seems to be finding ones that haven't been utterly destroyed by 30 years of use.

Hey, if they’re trashed it’s less Christmas music you have to listen to. Win/win

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This album is on sale, and it is amazing. I paid full price for it with no regrets.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7440-moonpie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Someone get Ho, Ho, Ho It's Christmas Time pressed on vinyl.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
This is the best Christmas album
https://www.discogs.com/release/1949740-Christmas-Christmas

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Jesus Christ

I'm struggling to think of a record I'd spend $200 on let alone almost three months of rent.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Their other albums are a lot cheaper. I've met people who have found them in the Christmas music section of thrift stores because people just figured they were holiday music or finding The Ugly Ducklings sorted in a bunch of childrens records.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyy I got a Sunn O))) collaborative album I had never heard of. Run of 3,000 with the first thousand on gold, I lucked out.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Attila Csihar and Oren Ambarchi :wth:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Had a magnificent thrift store haul yesterday. Was a hoot, I went in and there was this guy going out, he had this huge stack of collectible rock albums, mostly Kiss, he told me what his facebook store or whatever was. I went in and found the following. At first I was a bit envious of dude but then I realized we both got what we most wanted.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

If you haven't figured it out, I'm the kind of collector who gathers records based on whether they contain good material for sampling.

Also, I have finally found the f@#$%ing dark matter guns. By JVC.

I should have put a lighter in there for size comparison. These things are really big, like maybe 24" high.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 10, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

If you haven't figured it out, I'm the kind of collector who gathers records based on whether they contain good material for sampling.

Then sometimes I buy them just to listen to them.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

dorium posted:

Extra info that pressing plants are letting labels know if they don’t get metal works by the end of the year don’t expect pressing in 2021

Duh? The guys at the plants aren't just standing around idle waiting for another job to show up lol. Of course there's a queue. Two months from receiving metal parts to shipping a finished run would have been considered average ten years ago when there was way less demand. I'm not sure what point this gentleman is trying to make.

Also Stoughton jackets loving suck, I hate working with them. Ross all the way.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hmmm, make the most of my time, woman, make the most of my time, woman, make the most of my time, woman. No wonder he looks worried and anxious.

This cover art is the school of poo poo that Raymond Pettibone and myself graduated from.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 10, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bread Dragon posted:

Duh? The guys at the plants aren't just standing around idle waiting for another job to show up lol. Of course there's a queue. Two months from receiving metal parts to shipping a finished run would have been considered average ten years ago when there was way less demand. I'm not sure what point this gentleman is trying to make.

Also Stoughton jackets loving suck, I hate working with them. Ross all the way.

I’m pretty sure he misspoke and meant 2022

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

pwn posted:

I’m pretty sure he misspoke and meant 2022

I wondered if that's what he meant but I work at a small press plant and our lead is only 6 months for new jobs, with the caveat being that we aren't taking new customers outside of our local market rn. Other plants will have different policies but overall the landscape will self-moderate via price hikes and book closures. Eventually the majors will gently caress off a bit as well and the whole field will go back to being exclusively weird cranks.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
does anyone have experience with these? I've heard they're amazing and can get your stuff way cleaner than a spin clean alone. curious if anyone here has had similar results.

https://www.vevor.com/products/6l-ultrasonic-vinyl-record-cleaner-cleaning-machine-complete-w-drying-rack?variant=31998302093410

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

does anyone have experience with these? I've heard they're amazing and can get your stuff way cleaner than a spin clean alone. curious if anyone here has had similar results.

https://www.vevor.com/products/6l-ultrasonic-vinyl-record-cleaner-cleaning-machine-complete-w-drying-rack?variant=31998302093410

I've never used a sonic cleaner but if you scroll back I was going on about how good the record doctor vacuum machine is for the same price. I would have to imagine a sonic cleaning machine is a way bigger pain in the rear end and I can at least say what I have gets great results (look at the pictures if you missed my post before).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’d like to compare them but not having a tank of water is a big check mark in favor of a vacuum system. You use almost no liquid.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JAMOOOL posted:

That thing actually seems really cheap for what it is. I bet it works great. It would be nice to have access to something like that but I don't think I'd personally ever need one.

What's the thread's preferred shop vac attachment record cleaner?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Barry posted:

That thing actually seems really cheap for what it is. I bet it works great. It would be nice to have access to something like that but I don't think I'd personally ever need one.

What's the thread's preferred shop vac attachment record cleaner?

For a while, I just made my own by closing off the end of a vac attachment, cutting a hole in the side, and attaching some velvet fabric which worked well enough if you don’t want to spend anything (assuming you have stuff laying around).

Eventually just bought this which works great. https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Vac-33-Cleaning-Attaches/dp/B014X2SXY0

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Senator Giroux posted:

For a while, I just made my own by closing off the end of a vac attachment, cutting a hole in the side, and attaching some velvet fabric which worked well enough if you don’t want to spend anything (assuming you have stuff laying around).

Eventually just bought this which works great. https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Vac-33-Cleaning-Attaches/dp/B014X2SXY0

I'm sort of in a temporary home and won't be really cleaning records until I've moved. But I got one of these also, eager to get started with it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Senator Giroux posted:

I have the vinyl vac. Works pretty good but hooking up a vacuum and running it is cumbersome and loud. At least with the spin clean you can zone out to music while you do it.

Wow those ultrasonic cleaners have come down in price.

Edit: That Vevor cleaner has some pretty mixed reviews.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 12, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Hummingbird Ultrasonic cleaner I went splitsies on a double pack with with someone in my area arrived this week. Very excited to try out an ultrasonic cleaner.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Good lord this plant hosed up a limited run real bad. I bought the SAULT run of clear from TTL and they managed to print "Black is" B-side on both vinyl. So, A-B-C-B. I'm actually surprised they were able to get the plan to re-print 900 copies in 2 months.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOhqRzZnFY

I use this. Cheap, works fantastic.

Only issue is I lost the vacuum adapter. I emailed a couple times to ask for replacement parts like 6 months ago and the fucker never got back to me.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 13, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i have heard "suddenly" at ihop at like three am several times now

and every time, it's a definite positive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got another download code to share: Poverty by Motorama, a contemporary Russian post-punk band. Go to http://dl.reverberation.fr/motorama_pvt, the code is ATIF_4606, and please give a heads-up if you've grabbed it.

If you're on the fence you can give it a listen on Bandcamp (rec: Red Drop and Old), and if you like it and the code's already gone I guess you're already more than halfway to buying it

e: not getting compensated for this post, one thing just kinda led to another :v: