Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well if it’s like the old cartoon that won’t be a problem.

Jean did nothing in that series

I was watching the movies recently and was confused by that, my previous experience was Uncanny X-Men in the 90s and I couldn't remember a drat thing about her. I thought I did but that was Rogue I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

And yet she still managed to have more personality than Cyclops.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dude pulled a puppetmaster defence in one of his next twats.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Heath posted:

He tended to be allowed to exist across the internet since he was a prolific poster and perfectly amiable in any topic that wasn't about an undershirt getting added to the character model of a child in spaghetti straps. Any of that and he'd be there in the comments like the William Jennings Bryan of pedophilia, giving a spirited response to anyone who intimated that maybe the localizers were correct to tone that poo poo down
I worked with him at EA and that was him in person as well. Always the friendliest person to talk to but this was the hill he was more than happy to die on.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Other people have spoken very well on the overall topic of the left-shift here, so I won’t try to say much more about that. Something tangible I have noticed, though, is that women are more comfortable outing themselves as women here. I don’t just mean the many (many!) goons who have figured out their gender identities. Not to call these people out specifically, but Shithouse Dave and YeahTubaMike and Edgar Allen Ho are both prolific posters and now Known Women. I’ve enjoyed all their posts for a long time, but only in the past two-three years have I seen them openly refer to their genders, especially because all the male posters just assumed every other poster was also a dude.

When I was but a young goon babb, I participated in that Mad Hamish (?) mod challenge thread, and I posted myself making a silly ugly face in the spirit of the thread. Within the remainder of that page, no less than five (presumable) men immediately commented on how gross I looked, and one even commented that I should try smiling (I did, regretfully, because my feelings were hurt and I wanted someone to be nice to me)I was devastated that I had tried to participate in a challenge that specifically was about looking weird, but was somehow not allowed to look so weird as to be unfuckable. Honestly, that’s a big part of why I stopped posting almost altogether for like 5-8 years. I think many women (at that time called the diminuitive “goonette”) just avoided mentioning their gender. Now, we have a menstruation megathread, women mods outside of the pets and feelings subforums, and many prolific women who are poo poo- and serious-posters and are not pick (please no one start talking about pick). The biggest forums-wide change I’ve noticed is goons referring to any poster whose gender they don’t know as they and no longer using “he” as the default.

It’s made a huge difference in how I think personally, and in how I’m able to engage with the community I’ve been part of for well over a decade. I really like it.

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Nov 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also no more "MY GIRLFRIEND" as if having normal hooman relationships with a cootie-haver is a badge of pride bordering on the humblebrag.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Dude pulled a puppetmaster defence in one of his next twats.

It was a classic throwaway troll post and people can't help taking the bait.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Delpino posted:

I worked with him at EA and that was him in person as well. Always the friendliest person to talk to but this was the hill he was more than happy to die on.

No surprise. He was always thrilled to argue about it online, why not also in person?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

There are native Russian voice actors, shockingly enough
lolling with you (good)

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Like, Chernobyl was unbearable for this. I can't listen to some old Irish nanny Leprechaun her way through a monologue about refusing to leave her ancestral homeland of Pripyat, Ukraine.
lolling at you (bad)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

where are the true immersive video games that speak to my personal experiences

let me play €60 US dollars to play an internet forum simulator where i post about what video games should be
ah, a .hack fan I see

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I like to read We Hunted The Mammoth, to learn about what kind of weirdo misogynists are being weird and misogynistic these days. Sometimes a troll will show up in the comment section, like this latest specimen:

I wonder what kind of manly-man job this guy does that's so hard on him. Construction? HVAC? Sanitation? Lumberjacking? Bear-wrestling?

He answers in the comments section of a post about some guy who think feminists intentionally pitch their voices lower because they want to be seen as men:

He's a customer service rep!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

BORAX VOICE MY CHEMICAL BURNS
MY WIFE

's skin is melting off because I poured borax on it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
🎶Nobody doesn't love
Molten borax!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pththya-lyi posted:

He answers in the comments section of a post about some guy who think feminists intentionally pitch their voices lower because they want to be seen as men:

My partner (dude with a fairly deep voice) has a customer service voice that is just "speaking with less monotone". To hear this guy tell it, he turns into Tiny Tim.

My customer service voice involves getting rid of my slight Southern accent... :( I live in California and don't want people to assume I'm some hick idiot (I'm only the latter, not the former).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Read After Burning posted:

My partner (dude with a fairly deep voice) has a customer service voice that is just "speaking with less monotone". To hear this guy tell it, he turns into Tiny Tim.

My customer service voice involves getting rid of my slight Southern accent... :( I live in California and don't want people to assume I'm some hick idiot (I'm only the latter, not the former).

When I worked for a comcast call centre multiple people insisted I must be putting on an accent to pretend to be american. I was born in Texas, the America of America. Apparently I should've not trained out my texan accent, to prove my americanness.

Especially funny because we were serving New England. So my bland, usually-identified-as-torontonian english was being criticized by old people with cartoon Boston accents.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Nov 13, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not to diminish your post to just these words, but drat now I really want an RSF called

Bibliotechno Music posted:

the pets and feelings subforum

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes literally because there aren't many 02 regdates still posting.

:(

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you were 18-22ish in 02 you're around 40 now.

:( :(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean, she fainted every six minutes but yeah, that's about it.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Splicer posted:

lolling with you (good)

lolling at you (bad)

lollin at your posts (never)
:blastu:

"Hey dumdum, use a flirty girly voice on the phone or you're fired lmao"
Alpha male classical masculinist: okay

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, she fainted every six minutes but yeah, that's about it.

She blew up a planet that one time. That was something.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Customer service voices do lean very feminine. Mine is probably almost an octave higher than my normal speaking voice. The reason for that is almost definitely not "our culture hates women," though, and more "femininity is associated with submissiveness and servitude."

One thing I like about my current job is that while I'm still dealing with customers, because it's a male-dominated job and I'm AFAB, I'm able to speak a little more normally.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think people underestimate selection bias in a community like this. You kind of see it in the proliferation of off sites. Over time the nastier outliers in the community get driven out or leave to other communities and the more moderate people stick around. People are more likely to contribute if there are other people around that agree with them. This gets further concentrated by the fact that a lot of posters stick to a specific subforum.

I did observe a rather stark switch over two decades. Early on it seemed like people went out of their way to come off as edgy and disaffected as possible. If something made you upset or you felt passionate about something you would be mocked relentlessly. I once made a thread that was about maybe not treating fat people like total poo poo and quite a few GBS frequent flyers accused me of setting up a honeypot (which I guess is saying something to trick people into reacting in a way that would get them banned?). And the thread itself was in response to getting dogpiled for defending fat people (the only time Lowtax ever responded to me directly was to mock me for suggesting fat people weren't lazy inhuman blobs).

Now it's very much flipped to the opposite extreme, in TYOOL 2002 I never could have imagined seeing so much doomposting and self flagellation that would happen. There's certainly lots of success stories to be had and victimization and bullying is taken a lot more seriously than in other communities. I would say there's a healthy amount of self mockery which helps smooth out the bitterness of stupid slap fights (ie "you should go outside and touch grass loser... So you can come back here and tell me what it feels like.")

People brought up good reasons for subjectivity in moderation though it's always going to be a double edged sword. People are going to naturally form cliques and engage in favoritism. The same type of moderation that helped deal with rules lawyers also disproportionately alienated a lot of people of color on the forum. There's always going to be a very lumpy continuum of justice, consistency, and effectiveness.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ok this is weird even for you, algorithm. What is this? Why does youtube want me to watch a beef guy livestream with 2 viewers?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like to read We Hunted The Mammoth, to learn about what kind of weirdo misogynists are being weird and misogynistic these days. Sometimes a troll will show up in the comment section, like this latest specimen:

I wonder what kind of manly-man job this guy does that's so hard on him. Construction? HVAC? Sanitation? Lumberjacking? Bear-wrestling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7g6pw_0W1U

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ok this is weird even for you, algorithm. What is this? Why does youtube want me to watch a beef guy livestream with 2 viewers?

The Algorithm posted:

lol, beef cannon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Me turning on my customer service voice is like that scene with Judge Doom in Roger Rabbit.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More than that, why does it want you to watch a tiny man talk to a talking beer about a found footage movie?

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Hey guys (and gals and enbys) I don't know my regdate so I'm posting to see what it is and I 100% am a different person from when I first joined. In a good way.

I swear.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Other people have spoken very well on the overall topic of the left-shift here, so I won’t try to say much more about that. Something tangible I have noticed, though, is that women are more comfortable outing themselves as women here. I don’t just mean the many (many!) goons who have figured out their gender identities. Not to call these people out specifically, but Shithouse Dave and YeahTubaMike and Edgar Allen Ho are both prolific posters and now Known Women. I’ve enjoyed all their posts for a long time, but only in the past two-three years have I seen them openly refer to their genders, especially because all the male posters just assumed every other poster was also a dude.

When I was but a young goon babb, I participated in that Mad Hamish (?) mod challenge thread, and I posted myself making a silly ugly face in the spirit of the thread. Within the remainder of that page, no less than five (presumable) men immediately commented on how gross I looked, and one even commented that I should try smiling (I did, regretfully, because my feelings were hurt and I wanted someone to be nice to me)I was devastated that I had tried to participate in a challenge that specifically was about looking weird, but was somehow not allowed to look so weird as to be unfuckable. Honestly, that’s a big part of why I stopped posting almost altogether for like 5-8 years. I think many women (at that time called the diminuitive “goonette”) just avoided mentioning their gender. Now, we have a menstruation megathread, women mods outside of the pets and feelings subforums, and many prolific women who are poo poo- and serious-posters and are not pick (please no one start talking about pick). The biggest forums-wide change I’ve noticed is goons referring to any poster whose gender they don’t know as they and no longer using “he” as the default.

It’s made a huge difference in how I think personally, and in how I’m able to engage with the community I’ve been part of for well over a decade. I really like it.

This is a very big reason why I stopped posting for a very long time under this name. I can't even remember the subject but there was some thread in GBS that started talking about bidets and I mentioned that I'd love to have a bidet because it would be really nice to be able to clean myself while on my period. This was enough for someone to create a helldump thread about me and they were just really nasty in typical helldump way. I posted for a few years after that but eventually stopped using this account because of dumb poo poo that just kept following me. I rereged and used a different account but wasn't nearly as active, coming back every couple years to take a peak. This past year I finally started to really read the threads again and was quite surprised at the different atmosphere. It was so nice to see the change. The humor was still excellent, but there was a lot less misogyny and edgy dumb humor. Honestly, I love reading these threads now and find it refreshing seeing the people with more recent reg dates who are clearly young talking about how stupid conservatives can be and all that. It makes me feel really good about the younger generations and I can start to think maybe the future is going to be better.

I don't know, I'm waxing poetic at this point, but it was a very nice thing to come back to after being gone for years.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This is a very big reason why I stopped posting for a very long time under this name. I can't even remember the subject but there was some thread in GBS that started talking about bidets and I mentioned that I'd love to have a bidet because it would be really nice to be able to clean myself while on my period. This was enough for someone to create a helldump thread about me and they were just really nasty in typical helldump way. I posted for a few years after that but eventually stopped using this account because of dumb poo poo that just kept following me. I rereged and used a different account but wasn't nearly as active, coming back every couple years to take a peak. This past year I finally started to really read the threads again and was quite surprised at the different atmosphere. It was so nice to see the change. The humor was still excellent, but there was a lot less misogyny and edgy dumb humor. Honestly, I love reading these threads now and find it refreshing seeing the people with more recent reg dates who are clearly young talking about how stupid conservatives can be and all that. It makes me feel really good about the younger generations and I can start to think maybe the future is going to be better.

I don't know, I'm waxing poetic at this point, but it was a very nice thing to come back to after being gone for years.

Pretty on brand for goons to helldump people for being clean tbh.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This has been a fantastic 2 pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Panfilo posted:

(the only time Lowtax ever responded to me directly was to mock me for suggesting fat people weren't lazy inhuman blobs).

This is loving hilarious, because regardless of how much he weighed, Lowtax was the embodiment of lazy inhuman blob.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Push El Burrito posted:

More than that, why does it want you to watch a tiny man talk to a talking beer about a found footage movie?

Because that's the greatest content on the platform :colbert:

Skwirl posted:

This is loving hilarious, because regardless of how much he weighed, Lowtax was the embodiment of lazy inhuman blob.

He doubled in size in the last year or so before the end. I almost feel bad for him, then I remember he was an abusive shithead who had so many loving chances to change his ways.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

heheh yeah

i, uh, have definitely not been watching any streams with slow beefs either, friend

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

strangeless posted:

Hey guys (and gals and enbys) I don't know my regdate so I'm posting to see what it is and I 100% am a different person from when I first joined. In a good way.

I swear.

I know my regdate and uid by heart and boy oh boy do I appreciate that LF existed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FFT posted:

I know my regdate and uid by heart and boy oh boy do I appreciate that LF existed

I know my UID because it's an easy way to look up one of your old posts in a thread you're not sure you've posted in, just click to see anyone's posts and type 155104 at the end.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Borax Bathtime is a pretty good band name.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Memento posted:

I know my UID because it's an easy way to look up one of your old posts in a thread you're not sure you've posted in, just click to see anyone's posts and type 155104 at the end.

89898 is way easier to remember

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I definitely know my user ID by memory and don't just post in a thread if I need to check it

e: it's 154710, which I knew

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know what all the beef jokes are about seriously, please, someone clue me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FFT posted:

89898 is way easier to remember

that's true

but mine continues the lifelong tradition that every single bank account number/employee number/phone number I've ever had has a "15" in it somewhere.

Except for the time I was involved in a massive migration from one forum that had been sold and was going to be monetised (a spin-off from this one) and got the user ID 69 on the new website.